HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DRAFT: #27 - Henrik Samuelsson

Old
06-22-2012, 11:42 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
He came here when he was in sixth grade. A little kid.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:43 PM
AZcoyotes33

He was born in Pittsburgh but played most of his early hockey in AZ.

AZcoyotes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Le JavJav

Super stoked to have him here!

Le JavJav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:52 PM
0point1
Custom User Title

vCash: 450
Questionable birth certificate? Don't tell Sheriff Joe.

Even if he wasn't born here, he has spent most of his time in AZ and that's awesome to add someone like that to the lineup.

0point1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:00 AM
SweYote

Quote from Henrik in a Swedish newspaper this morning.

"I know a lot of people in Phoenix, especially within the organization so it's like coming home"

SweYote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:31 AM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
Are you guys sure he's born in Scottsdale? MacKenzie said he was born in Pittsburgh after the selection. I've also seen a site that lists him as born in Sweden.
He's and international man of mystery

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:31 AM
PPD7952

Send a message via AIM to PPD7952 Send a message via MSN to PPD7952 Send a message via Yahoo to PPD7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinAZ View Post
I watched some of the WHL playoffs this year and he was like a man among boys. He was looking pretty dominant out there. He is the first kid born in AZ to go in the first round.

Henrik Samuelsson # - RW/C

DOB: 1994/02/07
POB: Scottsdale, AZ
Height: 6-2 Weight: 211lbs
Shoots: R
NHL Seasons: 0
Actually born in Pittsburgh, PA

PPD7952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:50 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD7952 View Post
Actually born in Pittsburgh, PA
Sean Couturier was born in Phoenix, I believe his father played for the Roadrunners

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:53 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Sean Couturier was born in Phoenix, I believe his father played for the Roadrunners
But he developed in Canada.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:17 AM
judge301

Yeah, I'm pissed off at all of you in Phoenix right now!!! This kid is a gem!! I SOOOO wanted him in the Oilers system. He IS that intangible that people talk about when they consider the type of player it takes to build a winning team. Enjoy him. I'm sure every other team in the league will hate him but the end result is you have a player that will agitate people like Torres without being so stupid and he'll put up points like Doan (both Doan and HS should have been Oilers by the way.) I really was hoping he'd be there for us tomorrow. I was so deflated when the Coyotes took him.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Here's our look at Samuelsson, who is one of my personal favorites this year:

Quote:
A big, power winger with some offensive ability. He is the son of former NHLer Ulf and plays the game on the same line his father crossed so many times before. He skates with heavy boots and a choppy stride but gets to where he needs to and has some decent balance. His skating will improve as he adds leg strength and lengthens his stride. He is physical and willing to both take a hit and dish one out. He is strong on the wall, as well as down low, and uses his size to his advantage by protecting the puck and forcing his way through seams.
More: http://futureconsiderations.ca/coyot...-27th-overall/

Old
06-23-2012, 02:42 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Henrik was born in Pittsburgh, spent time in New York, Detroit, Philadelphia, Connecticut, and Sweden, but the import thing is that he came to Phoenix when he was 12 and stayed until he was 17. Sean Couturier was born in Arizona, but raised in Canada. Samuelsson was born in Pittsburgh, but he spent his development as a man and as a player in Phoenix. From what I hear, he's a terrific prospect. He has fantastic pedigree. And he's a hometown player. It doesn't get much better than that, and amazing at 27th overall.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:01 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Good selection here!!!!!! Happy that he's on the Coyotes (YES I'M STILL A YOTES FAN EVEN THOUGH I AM A JETS FAN TOO)

It delights me that the Coyotes got him because I know so many of the Oilers fans wanted Samuelsson in the worst way. Maybe now they'll have to consider a defenseman

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:38 AM
Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
It delights me that the Coyotes got him because I know so many of the Oilers fans wanted Samuelsson in the worst way. Maybe now they'll have to consider a defenseman
Well, someone had to help them realize at some point they'll need dmen.

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
WTF?! Scouts say he's a tough hombre with high hockey IQ. That's great! That'll show in the 'dub', even if he 'lumbers around the ice' as one scout put it; In the show his weak skating is going to be a major factor in preventing him from being 'a key player'... In his short time with the Oil Kings (he started the year with MoDo in Sweden), Sumuelsson was suspended four (4) times. With a different last name the kid goes in the third or fourth round of the draft.

2nd line potential? I don't see it. More like a fringe NHLer. In and out of the line-up on a bruising line. Physical, decent on the PK; mostly a step, or two, behind the play. Possibly taking (needless) penalties while trying to agitate and disengage opponents. He is so not what the Coyotes needed. He isn't even the BPA at the 27th pick.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:05 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
WTF?! Scouts say he's a tough hombre with high hockey IQ. That's great! That'll show in the 'dub', even if he 'lumbers around the ice' as one scout put it; In the show his weak skating is going to be a major factor in preventing him from being 'a key player'... In his short time with the Oil Kings (he started the year with MoDo in Sweden), Sumuelsson was suspended four (4) times. With a different last name the kid goes in the third or fourth round of the draft.

2nd line potential? I don't see it. More like a fringe NHLer. In and out of the line-up on a bruising line. Physical, decent on the PK; mostly a step, or two, behind the play. Possibly taking (needless) penalties while trying to agitate and disengage opponents. He is so not what the Coyotes needed. He isn't even the BPA at the 27th pick.
Most write-ups rave about his high hockey IQ. Redline has him at 24 and in their top 10 forwards available. His skating wasn't much of an issue in the Memorial Cup where he was very good.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:29 PM
goaliedad29

Quote:

Have you actually seen him play much!? Saw every game this kid played with the Oil Kings, and Phoenix will LOVE this guy! Very skilled for a power forward, protects the puck extremely well, and has great hands in the offensive zone. Also plays quite well in his own end. Sure, not the greatest skater, but that improved tons just in his short time in the WHL this year. He was Edmonton's best player at the Memorial Cup (often the best player on the ice) and was named one of the All-Star forwards at the Mem. Cup as well. Another year on the best team in the WHL, and possibly the entire CHL, and I think he will be NHL ready for the 2013-14 season.

As for the suspensions, 2 of the 4 were completely bogus IMO... with a different last name on his jersey, I don't think they happen. And 2 of them came as a direct result of him sticking up for teammates. He is exactly the kind of player teams need to win at the NHL level. I think in a couple years he can be Phoenix's version of Milan Lucic.

goaliedad29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Matzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliedad29 View Post
Have you actually seen him play much!? Saw every game this kid played with the Oil Kings, and Phoenix will LOVE this guy! Very skilled for a power forward, protects the puck extremely well, and has great hands in the offensive zone. Also plays quite well in his own end. Sure, not the greatest skater, but that improved tons just in his short time in the WHL this year. He was Edmonton's best player at the Memorial Cup (often the best player on the ice) and was named one of the All-Star forwards at the Mem. Cup as well. Another year on the best team in the WHL, and possibly the entire CHL, and I think he will be NHL ready for the 2013-14 season.

As for the suspensions, 2 of the 4 were completely bogus IMO... with a different last name on his jersey, I don't think they happen. And 2 of them came as a direct result of him sticking up for teammates. He is exactly the kind of player teams need to win at the NHL level. I think in a couple years he can be Phoenix's version of Milan Lucic.
I hope you are right. I'd love to eat some crow...

Old
06-23-2012, 12:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He's not a good skater.

HE'S NOT A BAD SKATER.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

Did you watch the memorial cup? His skating looked just fine when he came from a victorious board battle on the half way, made a bee line straight for the net and picked the corner, while roofing it from two feet away from the crease. Kid has a sneaky roofer ala Vrbata. He can elevate it extremely well in tight. Also likes to bull his way through seems. Parts defensemen with power. Excellent power forward prospect.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Matzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He's not a good skater.

HE'S NOT A BAD SKATER.
THN's Draft Preview:

Quote:
#50 Henrik Samuelsson

Every scout we spoke to had serious concerns about his foot speed. That prevented the son of former NHLer Ulf Samuelsson from posting better WHL numbers. "His hockey IQ is awesome, but he really labours around the ice," said one scout.
I am not sure how that could be interpreted as 'he's not a bad skater'... but I do admit that I am only going by scouting reports and have not seen every game he played of the Oil Kings. However, every scouting report I have seen has mentioned is weak skating abilities.

In major junior, players with good hockey IQ regularly compensate for weak skating or lack of speed. See Brett MacLean, for example. In the pro game, especially in the NHL, these players become very average because just about all their opponents are faster.

In my mind there were better options available at the #27 spot. For example, one of Tanner Pearson, Stefan Matteau, or Martin Frk.

It's all arm-chair-scouting that we do. Time will tell but I am pretty disappointed about our 1st rounder for now.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I dont have to interpret anything. I've got eyeballs.

USA's WJC forward corps was fairly old this tourney. Hank will likely be on the squad next December. Do yourself a favor and watch. You will feel much better. I promise.

Berry MacLean is a big *****. Samuelsson plays with his hair on fire. Having that sand in your belly improves your quickness. Sleepwalking through games tends to really slow you down. Ask Peter Mueller and Shane Doan about the difference between a fiery poor skater and moping poor skater.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:06 PM
hbk

Quote:
THN's Draft Preview:

I am not sure how that could be interpreted as 'he's not a bad skater'... but I do admit that I am only going by scouting reports and have not seen every game he played of the Oil Kings. However, every scouting report I have seen has mentioned is weak skating abilities.

In major junior, players with good hockey IQ regularly compensate for weak skating or lack of speed. See Brett MacLean, for example. In the pro game, especially in the NHL, these players become very average because just about all their opponents are faster.

In my mind there were better options available at the #27 spot. For example, one of Tanner Pearson, Stefan Matteau, or Martin Frk.

It's all arm-chair-scouting that we do. Time will tell but I am pretty disappointed about our 1st rounder for now.
THN draft preview came out prior to the completion of the WHL playoffs and the Memorial Cup. Two tournaments that rocketed Samuellson's ranking in all subsequent draft magazines. He was a consensus first rounder and I'm actually shocked he didn't go earlier given how dominant a presence Samuellson was during the Oil Kings run.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:38 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I don't know if the will ever be on the same line or make the big show, but Samuelsson-Hanzal-Brown would be one fun punishing line to watch.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Matzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
THN draft preview came out prior to the completion of the WHL playoffs and the Memorial Cup. Two tournaments that rocketed Samuellson's ranking in all subsequent draft magazines. He was a consensus first rounder and I'm actually shocked he didn't go earlier given how dominant a presence Samuellson was during the Oil Kings run.
I am not looking to change people's minds about Samuelsson, just voicing my concerns based on info I have obtained - from various sources.

For example, TSN (Bob McKenzie / Greg Button) had him at #36 in their final rankings. Three others, who I would have liked to see picked at #27 were also listed by TSN: Matteau @ #23, Pearson @ #29, Frk @ #32.

Now that the pick is history we're all hoping that Samuelsson becomes a regular NHLer who can impact games positively. In a few years we'll know if any of the three from above would have been a better choice.