HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Day 2 | 10 A.M.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:45 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

vCash: 500
@BillMeltzer

Quote:
Because of lack of formal transfer agreement, Flyers won't be bound to 2 yr rule to evaluate whether to sign Vasilev.

Also surprised that Nick Ebert fell right to the very last spot.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Krishna

LA takes Ebert last overall

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:51 AM
flybynite77

Am I seeing things or did we really not draft a goon this year?

Will wonders never cease. Although I do notice the swedish dman Larsson was the most penalized player in his junior league, but I don't think he projects to be a goon so its all good.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I give this draft a "meh." A lot of the guys we drafted I know little to nothing about. A little bummed they passed on Thrower and Maatta (never would have guessed it possible to have BOTH of them). I like what I've read about Laughton. I think drafting a goalie was a waste of a pick in the second round because of Bryz's presence. Wouldn't have cared as much in the later rounds, but I just don't see how he fits this early into Bryz's contract. Even if he turns out to be very good, we'll have a very expensive backup or a valuable trade asset (which I think is a bad move to draft in the second round). But Homer knows his drafting so we'll see how this turns out. Maybe we wind up with Weber and someone sweet on the wing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:01 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I give this draft a "meh." A lot of the guys we drafted I know little to nothing about. A little bummed they passed on Thrower and Maatta (never would have guessed it possible to have BOTH of them). I like what I've read about Laughton. I think drafting a goalie was a waste of a pick in the second round because of Bryz's presence. Wouldn't have cared as much in the later rounds, but I just don't see how he fits this early into Bryz's contract. Even if he turns out to be very good, we'll have a very expensive backup or a valuable trade asset (which I think is a bad move to draft in the second round). But Homer knows his drafting so we'll see how this turns out. Maybe we wind up with Weber and someone sweet on the wing.
C'mo. He can develop as a backup and then the Flyers can trade him for a 2nd rounder.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
The goalie we drafted is years away from even considering the NHL. He will most likely be playing in college for a couple years and then straight to the AHL.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Bryz has 8 years left on his contract. 4 of them may be spent in college (probably 3) by Stolarz. Probably another two gets spent on the Phantoms. By the time we would be reasonably expecting him to contribute, Bryz is into the last 3 years of his contract, and by then, assuming Bryz is actually still here, we would be looking to the heir apparent. And contrary to popular belief on that board, you don't find those guys within a year of two of needing them to be big time contributors. Goalies don't move fast in this league. Tuukka Rask is going to get his first chance to be an undisputed #1 goaltender next season, 7 years after being drafted. Cory Schneider may get his first chance 8 years after being drafted.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:12 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Bryz has 8 years left on his contract. 4 of them may be spent in college (probably 3) by Stolarz. Probably another two gets spent on the Phantoms. By the time we would be reasonably expecting him to contribute, Bryz is into the last 3 years of his contract, and by then, assuming Bryz is actually still here, we would be looking to the heir apparent. And contrary to popular belief on that board, you don't find those guys within a year of two of needing them to be big time contributors. Goalies don't move fast in this league. Tuukka Rask is going to get his first chance to be an undisputed #1 goaltender next season, 7 years after being drafted. Cory Schneider may get his first chance 8 years after being drafted.
Good points.., I was scratching my head based on who was still around when the pick was made....
As said in other threads, the chances these kids past the 2nd rd do ANYTHING in the NHL is low... so "it is what it is and the proof is in the pudding"

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Hyka goes to the Champs
I'll say hi to him for all of you when I see him in Manchester.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:41 PM
RoDu

So now we get to see who signs Schultz?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:56 PM
JVR21
G

The Kings got Ebert and Hyka, two guys I was hoping the Flyers would grab late. Damnit.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:59 PM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
It was never so much about Hyka and his potential as it was that an ENTIRE FRONT OFFICE failed to understand NHL draft rules. Rules that most of the GMs in a friggin fantasy keeper league which based its rules on the CBA actually understood.
They didn't draft him. And after that there was nothing they could have done to acquire his rights until the next draft. Them temporarily thinking he could be signed didn't change anything.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
What can you guys tell me about Hyka?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
What can you guys tell me about Hyka?
He was already inducted into HOF. I'm surprised the Oilers chose Yakupov over him.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Good post. Now was actually a good time to draft a goalie because there is enough time to be patient to develop him properly.

Haute Couturier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
They didn't draft him. And after that there was nothing they could have done to acquire his rights until the next draft. Them temporarily thinking he could be signed didn't change anything.
If they understood the rules their decision on who to draft could have been different.

Haute Couturier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I don't know I still don't like the pick. I know goalies take a long time to develop, but it just seems like too far off and too "what if"-y to spend a second round pick when there were at least a couple defensemen out there that were borderline first rounders. I'll give the team the deference it deserves in these situations, I'm not saying the guy sucks or that Thrower or any of the other d-men available are superstars or anything like that. It just seems to me like Goaltender should not have been a high priority (Bryz for a thousand more years, Hovinen in the hopper, Heeter in the hopper, etc). Again, I'm not saying that StolieTheGoalie stinks or that Hovinen is the heir apparent to Bryz, I'm just saying I feel like the pick could have been used better drafting a guy like Thrower or other defensemen. But time will tell, I suppose.

I'm usually the one defending Homer for his "asset management" in these situations. Weird.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:26 PM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
If they understood the rules their decision on who to draft could have been different.
I thought it was gospel around here that the flyers lost track of who was available and chose mathers. why were they considering drafting Hyka if they thought he could be signed?

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Apparently Slepyshev wasn't drafted?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:02 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Christian Djoos

Great name
His father, Pär Djoos, played some games for the Rangers and the Red Wings in the early 90's. He scored a pretty nifty goal for Sweden against Soviet in the 1990 World Championship, skip to 2.45 of this clip

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote