HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Grade your teams 2012 draft....

Old
06-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Toronto Maple Leafs:

5th. Morgan Rielly (D)
35th. Matthew Finn (D)
126th. Dominic Toninato (C)
156th. Connor Brown (RW)
157th. Ryan Rupert (C)
208th. Viktor Loov (D)

GRADE: B+

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Toronto Maple Leafs:

Morgan Rielly: Really happy with the pick. We had a lot of depth on defense but needed a top end dfenseman. This guy could be one. He's a hell of an offensive defenseman, him and Gardiner will be awesome on the power paly. Very high potential.

Matt Finn: Happy with the pick. A forward with good offensive potential would have been nice, but Finn is a solid defenseman with very good potential. You never have too many depth on defense, and adding Rielly plus Finn at our young depth at the defense that we already give us a really good potential defense for the future.

Conner Brown: Like the pick. With the selection of two defensemans with our first two pick, Brown give us us a forward with good offensive potential.

Dominic Toninato: Don't really know anything about him.

Ryan Rupert: Really like the pick. We have some very good future bottom six wingers, but we needed bottom six center depth in our prospect pool. Rupert is a very hard center to play against, like the potential here for a solid bottom six center. Also a traning camp invitation to his twin Matt.

Victor Loov: Don't really know anything about him, but the Leafs like to pick a Swedish defenseman late in the draft, and it turn out pretty good a few times (Gunnarsson with the Leafs, Granbeg and Nilsson who look like pretty good prospects), so I like the pick.

Overall it's a pretty good draft for the Leafs, without having any third or fourth rounder. I would just had like if Burke could have traded for a 4th round pick to draft an high offensive potential forward like Matia Marcantuoni, Andreas Anastasiou, or Kevin Roy, but still a pretty good draft overall.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
The Winnipeg Jets draft wasn't too exciting as it looked a little vanilla overall, I'd still give it a solid B though. Two things were addressed in this draft: Sandpaper and goaltending.

Main thing is we grabbed tons of grit: 5 years down the road this team is going to be no fun to play against.

1st round, 9th overall: Jacob Trouba - A - Love this pick. He has everything you could possibly want in a defenseman, size, excellent skating, hockey IQ, and a hell of a mean streak. Some fans complain about not taking Forsberg or Grigorenko, but we got an outstanding player regardless.

2nd round, 39th overall: Lukas Sutter - B - Not going to lie I was a huge fan of Phil Di Giuseppe coming into the draft and watching him go one pick before us was a huge bummer. I guess it lets me avoid being crazy pissed at my own team if we passed on him though because they seem super high on Sutter. Goes with the rest of the draft class in that he is a hard player to play against, slated as a 3rd line shutdown center, but scouts do see a lot of offensive upside in him, so he could become a 2nd line center if things really work out. Big knock is his skating.

3rd round, 70th overall: Scott Kosmachuk - B+ - Great value pick IMO. Just another notch in the grit category for this teams draft class. He does show great offensive upside however and has great skating. Main knock is his size, but with the effort he plays with, he uses everything he's got. A lot of scouting agencies had him as a late riser going into the draft, so as an outsider it was exciting to get him in the 3rd.

5th round, 130th overall: Connor Hellebuyck - C? - Don't know much about him at all. Has a great hockey name so that's always a plus . The things I did read about him are that they see a lot of potential in him as they believe he has a lot of great physical tools and natural ability. Is a complete project as they wait to see what working out in a college program with lots of weight room exercise added in will do for him.

6th round, 160th overall: Ryan Olsen - C - Again, just like all the other skaters drafted this year, he brings a very solid sandpaper game. Has some size and showed offensive potential in the second half of his season. I'll be very interested to see how he develops next year.

7th round, 190th overall: Jamie Phillips - C? - Another goaltending prospect I know NOTHING about. Just like the other (Hellebuyck) will be an interesting project that will develop in the NCAA. However, doesn't have a great hockey name.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dr Jan Itor

B+ for the Wild.

Love Dumba's skillset and attitude.

Don't know much about the rest of the picks, but missed out on McCabe, who I wanted in the 2nd.

Took 3 guys going the NCAA route (Draeger to MSU, Nanne to the U, and Gilmour to BC)

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
ponder

The Leafs only had 2 picks of significance (5th overall, 35th overall, then a bunch of 5th-7th round picks), so I'm really only grading them on their top 2 picks. Partly that's because 5th-7th rounders rarely pan out, and partly that's because I'm not enough of a draft fanatic to know much about the players picked in that range.

So, based on how well we picked at 5th and 35th, I'm extremely pleased with our selections. I really like the Rielly pick at 5, I think he has a shot to become the top dman in this draft (in a draft that was very strong for dmen), and Finn was great value at 35.

I could care less about addressing team needs in the draft, these guys will only be starting to make a significant NHL impact in 2-3 years (if not more), and could be with the team in 2020 and beyond. There will be so many trades and team changes by then that looking at needs is almost meaningless, it's all about BPA in the draft for me. I think we made excellent choices at our two meaningful picks (5 and 35), so I'll give us an A. Very happy with this draft, for the first time in a long time (have not been particularly psyched about any Leafs drafts from 2007-2011, although in retrospect we did make some good value picks in 2007).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Marky9er

Kyle Quin-C-minus for Detroit

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:55 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
as for Jaccob Slavin who you guys picked in the 4th round, probably my 2nd to 3rd favorite dman from the USHL (non USNDP) behind only Schmaltz and Matheson... got to see a ton of him with the Steel, I think you got a really sound overall kid, who needs some time to grow but is a solid puck mover but has excellent positional play as well..

Slavin was my big underdog pick to go high, and I am glad he did as he is a good kid and he just adds another great player to your defense since you moved Dumoulin...
So basically Dumoulin redux, I can definitely live with that.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:57 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Minnesota gets a solid B from me. Filled in some much needed holes.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

1) #28 Brady Skjei: Happy with him, kind of fell a little bit, good value, great skater
2) #59 "Boo" Nieves: Big, fast American which kind of fits the NYR mold, is a project though but I like the value at #59. Might've preferred Bozon but I'm happy with the pick
4) #119 Calle Anderson. Haven't really seen him, but read that he's a good skating Swede with solid offensive prowess. Seems like a good pick.
5) #142 Thomas Spelling. Again, haven't seen him play, but read that he's a solid skating powerforward who can put the puck in the net. Will play in the SEL next year so we should all have a better idea of how he can play after next season.

I'd have to say B to a B+

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Tampa gets a C from me. Lots of reaching and "wtf" picks.

Picking Koekkoek while Forsberg and Grigorenko and Teravainen...even Maatta and Ceci were still on the board is frustrating to say the absolute least. I would have rather them trade down, take him at 14-15, still take AV at 19 and pick up another draft selection in the 2nd or 3rd. Tampa certainly didn't draft the BPA like they said they were.

AV at 19 is a strong pick. With Helenius, Tokarski and Janus all needing AHL time, this kind of says to me one of them could be going elsewhere for defensive help. Neither of those 3 guys belong in the ECHL and with AV possibly being the most talented, someone needs to go to make room.

Gets worse from there. Blujus at #40 when Frk, Bystrom, Thrower and Sissons are out there? He would have been available at later picks.

I do like the Hart and Richard picks and then it goes downhill again.

Paquette? Really? In the 4th? Jesus.

I like the Dotchin pick and I LOVE the Gusev pick.

If you told me Tampa could have drafted any of these 4 guys over the first two rounds: Grigorenko, Forsberg, Teravainen, Maatta, Ceci, Vasilevski, Frk, Thrower, Sissons and Hart..I'd do cart wheels. If you then told me we would walk out with only two of those, and the two we didn't pick were likely available at later picks, I'd be sad.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:11 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157

#13 - Radek Faksa, Center
- Pretty much a perfect fit for this team. The Stars have needed a top notch center prospect for more than a couple years now, and Faksa is exactly what GMJN looks for in a prospect. Size, skill, great two-way play, "hard to play against", and pretty underrated. That, and if the draft was based solely on character, he'd go #1 for sure.
Grade - A+

#43 - Ludvig Byström, Defenseman
- Love this pick. We could use an offensive defenseman in our prospect pool, and he brings that and a bit more. Reminds me a lot of Nemeth in 2010, and he's turning out very well. I think Byström will at worst be a bottom pairing defender and definitely has top 4 upside, but we've got the depth to not rush him and let him become as good as possible. However, looking at who was available (Frk, Bozon), I do think we could've made a slightly better pick.
Grade - B

#54 - Mike Winther, Center/Left Wing
- I wasn't too fond of this pick, but it could've been worse. Bozon was still available, and not picking him here was a big mistake IMO. He had ties to the organization, we could use a winger, etc. but Winther works too. Keeps filling the hole we have at center and can switch over to wing if needed, and he seems to have a knack for goal scoring with 32 goals in the Dub.
Grade - B-

#61 - Devin Shore, Center
- Love this pick. Was a guy we discussed a lot and with this pick, our center woes pretty much come to end. Projects to be a bottom 6 center, but with Benn and Faksa in the top 6 that's perfect.
Grade - B+

#74 - Esa Lindell, Defenseman
- Another solid pick. More for back up in case Byström or Klingberg doesn't turn out as an offensive defender, but can still be a contributor even if all three make it. And he was a bit of a steal, so that makes it even better.
Grade - B-

#104 - Gemel Smith, Center
- Centers are getting a bit redundant, but he's a steal here. Was supposed to be a 2nd round pick, and he's here in the 4th round. Another solid center I can see in the bottom 6, and center begins turning into a strength when it was a weakness not even 3 days ago. Also, we can now dress a full Smith line.
Grade - C+

#134 - Branden Troock, Right Wing
- A bottom 6 guy almost for sure. Not much else is known, but can't go wrong with a guy who'll probably contribute in some way, even a very minor one.
Grade - C+

#144 - Henri Kiviaho, Goaltender
- We could use a prospect goaltender, and then almost certainly is a Takko pick (most of his have been successful). A very young goalie, he'll probably stay in Finland for at least another 2-3 years, if not even more, which is exactly what we need. That, and he has a ****ing awesome name.
Grade - B

#183 - Dmitry Sinitsyn, Defenseman[/b]
- This pick probably won't ever make the NHL, but again, he's an offensive defender who strengthens that hole in our prospect pool. However, he's a local kid, one of the best to ever play on his junior team in Dallas, and this pick to me signifies that we aren't afraid to take Russians (even though he has no danger of going to the KHL). That alone makes him a very significant pick.
Grade - B+

All in all, we had a very successful draft, which we've needed after the horrid '09 and '10 drafts.

Final Grade - B

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 06-23-2012 at 02:45 PM.
LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Other teams whose draft classes impressed me:

Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars (they did have 3 2nds, so it's a little hard not to look solid)
Buffalo Sabres (Much like Dallas [having more high picks than usual] having two firsts helps make it look good, but grabbing Grigorenko and Girgensons as a one-two punch is outstanding)
Nashville Predators (Drafting always looks like an art for them)

Best haul overall: Montreal in my opinion, they seemed to find value in every pick. Main concern continues however for the mighty midgets. No one tops 6'0" in their entire class.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

#13 - Radek Faksa, Center
- Pretty much a perfect fit for this team. The Stars have needed a top notch center prospect for more than a couple years now, and Faksa is exactly what GMJN looks for in a prospect. Size, skill, great two-way play, "hard to play against", and pretty underrated. That, and if the draft was based solely on character, he'd go #1 for sure.
Grade - A+

#43 - Ludvig Byström, Defenseman
- Love this pick. We could use an offensive defenseman in our prospect pool, and he brings that and a bit more. Reminds me a lot of Nemeth in 2010, and he's turning out very well. I think Byström will at worst be a bottom pairing defender and definitely has top 4 upside, but we've got the depth to not rush him and let him become as good as possible. However, looking at who was available (Frk, Bozon), I do think we could've made a slightly better pick.
Grade - B

#54 - Mike Winther, Center/Left Wing
- I wasn't too fond of this pick, but it could've been worse. Bozon was still available, and not picking him here was a big mistake IMO. He had ties to the organization, we could use a winger, etc. but Winther works too. Keeps filling the hole we have at center and can switch over to wing if needed, and he seems to have a knack for goal scoring with 32 goals in the Dub.
Grade - B-

#61 - Devin Shore, Center
- Love this pick. Was a guy we discussed a lot and with this pick, our center woes pretty much come to end. Projects to be a bottom 6 center, but with Benn and Faksa in the top 6 that's perfect.
Grade - B+

#74 - Esa Lindell, Defenseman
- Another solid pick. More for back up in case Byström or Klingberg doesn't turn out as an offensive defender, but can still be a contributor even if all three make it. And he was a bit of a steal, so that makes it even better.
Grade - B-

#104 - Gemel Smith, Center
- Centers are getting a bit redundant, but he's a steal here. Was supposed to be a 2nd round pick, and he's here in the 4th round. Another solid center I can see in the bottom 6, and center begins turning into a strength when it was a weakness not even 3 days ago. Also, we can now dress a full Smith line.
Grade - C+

#134 - Branden Troock, Right Wing
- A bottom 6 guy almost for sure. Not much else is known, but can't go wrong with a guy who'll probably contribute in some way, even a very minor one.
Grade - C+

#144 - Henri Kiviaho, Goaltender
- We could use a prospect goaltender, and then almost certainly is a Takko pick (most of his have been successful). A very young goalie, he'll probably stay in Finland for at least another 2-3 years, if not even more, which is exactly what we need. That, and he has a ****ing awesome name.
Grade - B

#183 - Dmitry Sinitsyn, Defenseman[/b]
- This pick probably won't ever make the NHL, but again, he's an offensive defender who strengthens that hole in our prospect pool. However, he's a local kid, one of the best to ever play on his junior team in Dallas, and this pick to me signifies that we aren't afraid to take Russians (even though he has no danger of going to the KHL). That alone makes him a very significant pick.
Grade - B+

All in all, we had a very successful draft, which we've needed after the horrid '09 and '10 drafts.

Final Grade - A-
An A+, B, B-, B+, C+, C+, B, B+ = A? Where you when I was in college?

06-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Canucks: f-- (is there a lower grade than f doubleminus? maybe z--?)

Round 1 seems to have been a terrific pick, from my perspective. I'd give it an A+. So maybe I'll bump the overall grade up to C-.

But after that... what? 4 more picks, 4 overagers selected. AS USUAL. So ****ing frustrating. These overagers have gone unselected in previous draft for a ****ing reason! Plus how much more development do they really have left. HUH?

But the thing that really really frustrates me is that we could have taken Damon Severson at #57. This was the guy I wanted, this was the guy I thought would be taken #20-50. This was the guy I had a really good feeling about for many months. My feelings are never wrong on this. He was taken 3 spots later at #60. Why? For a ****ing overager! HUH??? ****!!!

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
number72

Leafs B. They acquired solid talent to provide more depth on defence, which is one of their strongest areas. But they continue to ignore elite forward talent via trade/drafts.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4100
I'll give the Leafs a C.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
So basically Dumoulin redux, I can definitely live with that.
pretty much, but a smaller version of him, so they got Staal, and possibly another kid to step in and replace Dumoulin...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
BarberioTheBarbarian

I give Tampa an A+ for addressing team needs with great players.

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:28 PM
threeVo

Buffalo

I like the first round Centers, but when you look at what we could have had if we didnt trade up Im not so sure I like Grig/Girgen/McCabe over what potentially could have been:

Grig
Gaunce/Jankowski
Sisson/Frk
Thrower/McCabe

We did fill desperate needs however. Armia and Grigorenko have all world skills if they can develop into pros and work everyday, which doubles the number of high end offensive prospects we have, will look very good together with grig feeding armia. Developmental goalie with size who I really like. McCabe seems like a smart player with good size that we can let develop for awhile because of our oustanding NHL ready depth on the blueline.

Overall: B

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:30 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The Leafs only had 2 picks of significance (5th overall, 35th overall, then a bunch of 5th-7th round picks), so I'm really only grading them on their top 2 picks. Partly that's because 5th-7th rounders rarely pan out, and partly that's because I'm not enough of a draft fanatic to know much about the players picked in that range.

So, based on how well we picked at 5th and 35th, I'm extremely pleased with our selections. I really like the Rielly pick at 5, I think he has a shot to become the top dman in this draft (in a draft that was very strong for dmen), and Finn was great value at 35.

I could care less about addressing team needs in the draft, these guys will only be starting to make a significant NHL impact in 2-3 years (if not more), and could be with the team in 2020 and beyond. There will be so many trades and team changes by then that looking at needs is almost meaningless, it's all about BPA in the draft for me. I think we made excellent choices at our two meaningful picks (5 and 35), so I'll give us an A. Very happy with this draft, for the first time in a long time (have not been particularly psyched about any Leafs drafts from 2007-2011, although in retrospect we did make some good value picks in 2007).
I usually agree with you and well I partially agree that the leafs acquired quality talent. The problem I see is that the drafts and lack of trades and selection don't fit Burke "accelerated" retool strategy that he committed once he acquired Kessel.

I agree with the concept of BPA but this Burke now appears to going down the path of a full rebuild. And so the strategic fit and the overall team strategy is becoming more and more questionable. Basically Burke come off looking very confused on his team game plan.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

I'd give the Flames a solid B.

Really like the Jankowski, Gordon, and Gillies picks.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:36 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchered View Post
Tampa gets a C from me. Lots of reaching and "wtf" picks.

Picking Koekkoek while Forsberg and Grigorenko and Teravainen...even Maatta and Ceci were still on the board is frustrating to say the absolute least. I would have rather them trade down, take him at 14-15, still take AV at 19 and pick up another draft selection in the 2nd or 3rd. Tampa certainly didn't draft the BPA like they said they were.

AV at 19 is a strong pick. With Helenius, Tokarski and Janus all needing AHL time, this kind of says to me one of them could be going elsewhere for defensive help. Neither of those 3 guys belong in the ECHL and with AV possibly being the most talented, someone needs to go to make room.

Gets worse from there. Blujus at #40 when Frk, Bystrom, Thrower and Sissons are out there? He would have been available at later picks.

I do like the Hart and Richard picks and then it goes downhill again.

Paquette? Really? In the 4th? Jesus.

I like the Dotchin pick and I LOVE the Gusev pick.

If you told me Tampa couldn't have drafted any of these 4 guys over the first two rounds: Grigorenko, Forsberg, Teravainen, Maatta, Ceci, Vasilevski, Frk, Thrower, Sissons and Hart..I'd do cart wheels. If you then told me we would walk out with only two of those, and the two we didn't pick were likely available at later picks, I'd be sad.
9 other teams passed on Forseberg, 10 on Grigs, 15 on TT makes me think they weren't BPA after all. Koekkoek has a better two way game than Ceci and Maatta. AV I'm not happy with but he's the best goalie in the draft and picked where should've been. Blujas is a safe pick he's not a high risk prospect and will most likely not bust like a Bystrom/Frk. Later rounds were good got some nice pieces and Gusev in 7th.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:38 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
The Winnipeg Jets draft wasn't too exciting as it looked a little vanilla overall, I'd still give it a solid B though. Two things were addressed in this draft: Sandpaper and goaltending.

Main thing is we grabbed tons of grit: 5 years down the road this team is going to be no fun to play against.

1st round, 9th overall: Jacob Trouba - A - Love this pick. He has everything you could possibly want in a defenseman, size, excellent skating, hockey IQ, and a hell of a mean streak. Some fans complain about not taking Forsberg or Grigorenko, but we got an outstanding player regardless.

2nd round, 39th overall: Lukas Sutter - B - Not going to lie I was a huge fan of Phil Di Giuseppe coming into the draft and watching him go one pick before us was a huge bummer. I guess it lets me avoid being crazy pissed at my own team if we passed on him though because they seem super high on Sutter. Goes with the rest of the draft class in that he is a hard player to play against, slated as a 3rd line shutdown center, but scouts do see a lot of offensive upside in him, so he could become a 2nd line center if things really work out. Big knock is his skating.

3rd round, 70th overall: Scott Kosmachuk - B+ - Great value pick IMO. Just another notch in the grit category for this teams draft class. He does show great offensive upside however and has great skating. Main knock is his size, but with the effort he plays with, he uses everything he's got. A lot of scouting agencies had him as a late riser going into the draft, so as an outsider it was exciting to get him in the 3rd.

5th round, 130th overall: Connor Hellebuyck - C? - Don't know much about him at all. Has a great hockey name so that's always a plus . The things I did read about him are that they see a lot of potential in him as they believe he has a lot of great physical tools and natural ability. Is a complete project as they wait to see what working out in a college program with lots of weight room exercise added in will do for him.

6th round, 160th overall: Ryan Olsen - C - Again, just like all the other skaters drafted this year, he brings a very solid sandpaper game. Has some size and showed offensive potential in the second half of his season. I'll be very interested to see how he develops next year.

7th round, 190th overall: Jamie Phillips - C? - Another goaltending prospect I know NOTHING about. Just like the other (Hellebuyck) will be an interesting project that will develop in the NCAA. However, doesn't have a great hockey name.
Looking at last year's draft by Chevy and this year's, one thing stands out more to me then the size part. All North Americans. He has not drafted one European player in two drafts. That's what intrigues me most about his drafting. Now I don't mind where he's taking the team, as long as they don't completely isolate themselves from European born players. It does make you wonder what their plans are for their current ones. Although Burmi and Telegin both played in juniors over here. Klingberg played in the AHL last year and we all know Enstrom's path.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Toronto Maple Leafs probably deserve a B.

I think they got a great player in Rielly and Finn seems like a solid prospect, but they didn't actually address their organizational depth issues and build up the forward ranks. When a division rival like Buffalo can walk away from the draft with Grigorenko and Girgensons, two big centermen with a ton of potential, I'm not really sure if I like what they did there.
I think its obvious, what the thought process was: It was the year of the defencemen, no one at 5, was really considered to be a high caliber offensive player (in fact no one later).

Burke added to his strength, to get someone already well established. The retool of the D is well underway. No UFA on D
will be needed.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Ominous Grey

A.

Penguins did awesome if you count the Michalek throwaway as post-draft.

Got Pouliot a little high but it absolutely made my night when we completely stole Maata with the #22. Hosted a quick and classy draft atmosphere, booed the Flyers, got a couple really intriguing goalies, and somehow picked up Marcantuoni and Zlobin along the way. Traded Staal for a good return when backed into a corner, and basically got two future stud defense tandems: Harrington-Maata (London) and Morrow-Pouliot (Portland).

Can't say I have many complaints.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote