HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

DRAFT: #27 - Henrik Samuelsson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2012, 02:06 PM
  #51
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
I am not looking to change people's minds about Samuelsson, just voicing my concerns based on info I have obtained - from various sources.

For example, TSN (Bob McKenzie / Greg Button) had him at #36 in their final rankings. Three others, who I would have liked to see picked at #27 were also listed by TSN: Matteau @ #23, Pearson @ #29, Frk @ #32.

Now that the pick is history we're all hoping that Samuelsson becomes a regular NHLer who can impact games positively. In a few years we'll know if any of the three from above would have been a better choice.
TSN's rankings are an average from ten scouts. Maybe one scout had him at 105 because he feels hes a dirty player and a hot head. Maybe two scouts did. Throws off the average. Maybe there were nine prospects within one point(in the average ranking of each other)

Watch him at the WJC next winter. You will be extremely happy.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:12 PM
  #52
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I don't know if the will ever be on the same line or make the big show, but Samuelsson-Hanzal-Brown would be one fun punishing line to watch.
Not to take anything away from Hanzal - I love the guy - but punishing? When?

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:13 PM
  #53
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Watch him at the WJC next winter. You will be extremely happy.
Will do. For sure.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
  #54
PHX FireBirds18
Registered User
 
PHX FireBirds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 500
Was it Knickle who said the number one thing they look for in a player is hockey sense?

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635782

“He’s always had this little edge to him, which is a good thing,” Maloney said. “We value hockey sense and we value courage and he’s got a lot of both.”

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:18 PM
  #55
PHX FireBirds18
Registered User
 
PHX FireBirds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
Not to take anything away from Hanzal - I love the guy - but punishing? When?
Really? He ended Pronger's season and maybe his career with a hit this season. Two inches away from possibly doing the same to Turris in his visit back to Jobing.com. Dustin Brown boarding suspension. Hanzal has been dishing out the pain regularly for the last two years. People don't go flying when he hits him but there no doubt he pastes guys against the wall.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:21 PM
  #56
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Really? He ended Pronger's season and maybe his career with a hit this season. Two inches away from possibly doing the same to Turris in his visit back to Jobing.com. Dustin Brown boarding suspension. Hanzal has been dishing out the pain regularly for the last two years. People don't go flying when he hits him but there no doubt he pastes guys against the wall.
Fair enough.

I guess I always think of him as a very smart two way forward, never as a *punishing* player.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
  #57
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,106
vCash: 500
Hanzal is always among league leaders in hits by forwards.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
  #58
PHX FireBirds18
Registered User
 
PHX FireBirds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
Fair enough.

I guess I always think of him as a very smart two way forward, never as a *punishing* player.
This was true his first few seasons but the last two he has really developed a more physical aspect to his game. It's like he just now realized how strong he is. Maybe he just got tired of watching his smaller czech buddies get run all the time. The guy looks more and more like Holik every season.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:45 PM
  #59
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
I am not looking to change people's minds about Samuelsson, just voicing my concerns based on info I have obtained - from various sources.

For example, TSN (Bob McKenzie / Greg Button) had him at #36 in their final rankings. Three others, who I would have liked to see picked at #27 were also listed by TSN: Matteau @ #23, Pearson @ #29, Frk @ #32.

Now that the pick is history we're all hoping that Samuelsson becomes a regular NHLer who can impact games positively. In a few years we'll know if any of the three from above would have been a better choice.
He's been talked about for days as the potential ironic selection by Cam Neely and the Bruins at 24. I had him at 21. Redline had him at 24 and thought he was one of the ten top forwards available.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rds/55421698/1

ISS had him at 27 and Mckeens had him at 32.

This was not a reach.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:16 PM
  #60
AnalogMan
Moderator
 
AnalogMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Henrik Samuelsson Pre-Draft Rankings:

PUBLICATIONRANK
Future Considerations
45
International Scouting
27
HockeyProspects
42
McKeen's
32
Redline Report
22

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:23 PM
  #61
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
McKeen's on Samuelsson:

Quote:
“Borderlines on dirty and results in many undisciplined penalties... not a quick skater but musters good speed once in motion... has shown improvement in most areas over a short period of time and if his skating can improve, he may make for a serviceable NHLer.”

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:31 PM
  #62
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
McKeen's on Samuelsson:
Matzel, it's worth finding some games online from the WHL and Memorial Cup. Samuelson is a very hard player to play against. He will take some time but he'll play.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
  #63
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Henrik Samuelsson Pre-Draft Rankings:

PUBLICATIONRANK
Future Considerations
45
International Scouting
27
HockeyProspects
42
McKeen's
32
Redline Report
22
Stefan Matteau Pre-Draft Rankings:

PUBLICATIONRANK
TSN
23
International Scouting
31
TSR
29
McKeen's
26
Hockey Sense
17

Seems like a lottery, dunnit?

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:36 PM
  #64
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Matzel, it's worth finding some games online from the WHL and Memorial Cup. Samuelson is a very hard player to play against. He will take some time but he'll play.
I *will* make a point of watching the kid. No doubt.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:19 PM
  #65
mitch27
Registered User
 
mitch27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
What are the odds he makes the US WJC team?

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:20 PM
  #66
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
What are the odds he makes the US WJC team?
Very good. They don't like picking CHL kids when they can avoid it. It's like a punishment for not sticking with the US dev prog and going to D1 like a good american boy should.

However guys like Coyle, Zucker, Bjugstad, Watson, Etem etc won't be eligible any longer if I'm not mistaken. I mean he will have to compete against other first rounders left off the last team who have similar games like Noessen and Biggs. But USA might take Hank because he's more likely to be a returning player the following year. They're losing a ton of guys and they'll need that experience in 13.

Plus there will be a ton of tiny guys like Grimaldi, McColgan and Trochek.

Galchenyuk might be in the NHL.

I'd wager Hank makes it.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:57 PM
  #67
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

I'd wager Hank makes it.
I don't think he'll have the time, you know, playing for the Coyotes...

anyways... watched that video when the Coyotes selected Henrik, and seeing Dineen, Quinneville, and Ulfie sitting together, made me think of the Whalers and the team Emile the Cat put together threw the drafts, you know, Bob Francis's dad...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:10 AM
  #68
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,106
vCash: 500
You don't want that. He needs time.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:20 PM
  #69
ParisSaintGermain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Very important to play youth international tournaments. Character building.

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:55 PM
  #70
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful
 
Blubba Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NE Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
I'm not a prospect wizard, when does he become eligible for the AHL? I'm pretty sure that the CHL restrictions don't apply to him.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:17 AM
  #71
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
I'm not a prospect wizard, when does he become eligible for the AHL? I'm pretty sure that the CHL restrictions don't apply to him.
He was drafted out of the CHL, so he won't be AHL-eligible until he turns 20.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
  #72
zLiMbiLLY
Registered User
 
zLiMbiLLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: WingF
Country: Sweden
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Very good. They don't like picking CHL kids when they can avoid it. It's like a punishment for not sticking with the US dev prog and going to D1 like a good american boy should.

However guys like Coyle, Zucker, Bjugstad, Watson, Etem etc won't be eligible any longer if I'm not mistaken. I mean he will have to compete against other first rounders left off the last team who have similar games like Noessen and Biggs. But USA might take Hank because he's more likely to be a returning player the following year. They're losing a ton of guys and they'll need that experience in 13.

Plus there will be a ton of tiny guys like Grimaldi, McColgan and Trochek.

Galchenyuk might be in the NHL.

I'd wager Hank makes it.
Commooooon he'll play for Sweden

zLiMbiLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
  #73
mitch27
Registered User
 
mitch27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
He was drafted out of the CHL, so he won't be AHL-eligible until he turns 20.
Fine by me. Let's not rush this one...

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:42 AM
  #74
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zLiMbiLLY View Post
Commooooon he'll play for Sweden
Impossible. He's already represented the US in international competition.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:39 PM
  #75
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,106
vCash: 500
At least we know he won't have drug issues...



...all three of those guys shook his hand within sixty seconds of his being drafted.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.