HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs select Erik Nystrom - 154th overall

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2012, 12:58 PM
  #26
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post
Insane speed, good vision and great wok ethic. Played solid in the few SEL-games he got to play last season and will be fighting to grab one of the last spots on the senior team next year.

A very exciting player to watch, with his speed and puck control he makes things happen almost every time he's on the ice.

I'll try to find some video footage of him later tonight.
Thank you, Fregus. I love it when international posters do that stuff

Edmontreal, I know you're a Djurgardens fan but if you know something about the rival MODO kid, please post it

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 01:28 PM
  #27
XO
Au Revoir Moyes
 
XO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,480
vCash: 50
I've already posted about his strenghts so I thought I'd tell you about his weaknesses even though there isnt much of that. He doesnt have a great shot but it's still average atleast. He tends to overdo things sometimes but MODOs whole J20 team seemed to do that in the playoffs..

Strenghts: Incredibly good skater, good vision, very good technique etc. as me and others have already said.

He actually were the best player for MODO in one or two of the games he played in SEL which is incredible for a kid that young, but for whatever reason he didnt get a real chance to prove himself. He absolutely should this year though.

Hard to believe he went in the 6th round. I dont know if Detroit were interested him in but this is the type of player Detroit generally aims for in the later rounds. Of course they didnt take him though as I'm a MODO and Detroit fan which is a bit sad. Perphaps they know something I dont or Håkan just didnt have much say in this years draft. I'm not a proscout after all

This is what I have to say for now. I'll come back and give you updates when the season starts. I know for fact Swedens U20 head coach Roger Rönnberg really like Nyström so perhaps we will get to see Nyström represent Sweden in the upcoming WJC in Russia.

XO is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 01:31 PM
  #28
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
I've already posted about his strenghts so I thought I'd tell you about his weaknesses even though there isnt much of that. He doesnt have a great shot but it's still average atleast. He tends to overdo things sometimes but MODOs whole J20 team seemed to do that in the playoffs..

Strenghts: Incredibly good skater, good vision, very good technique etc. as me and others have already said.

He actually were the best player for MODO in one or two of the games he played in SEL which is incredible for a kid that young, but for whatever reason he didnt get a real chance to prove himself. He absolutely should this year though.

Hard to believe he went in the 6th round. I dont know if Detroit were interested him in but this is the type of player Detroit generally aims for in the later rounds. Of course they didnt take him though as I'm a MODO and Detroit fan which is a bit sad. Perphaps they know something I dont or Håkan just didnt have much say in this years draft. I'm not a proscout after all

This is what I have to say for now. I'll come back and give you updates when the season starts. I know for fact Swedens U20 head coach Roger Rönnberg really like Nyström so perhaps we will get to see Nyström represent Sweden in the upcoming WJC in Russia.
You'll become one of us, they always do.

ChoseLa is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 01:34 PM
  #29
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
I've already posted about his strenghts so I thought I'd tell you about his weaknesses even though there isnt much of that. He doesnt have a great shot but it's still average atleast. He tends to overdo things sometimes but MODOs whole J20 team seemed to do that in the playoffs..

Strenghts: Incredibly good skater, good vision, very good technique etc. as me and others have already said.

He actually were the best player for MODO in one or two of the games he played in SEL which is incredible for a kid that young, but for whatever reason he didnt get a real chance to prove himself. He absolutely should this year though.

Hard to believe he went in the 6th round. I dont know if Detroit were interested him in but this is the type of player Detroit generally aims for in the later rounds. Of course they didnt take him though as I'm a MODO and Detroit fan which is a bit sad. Perphaps they know something I dont or Håkan just didnt have much say in this years draft. I'm not a proscout after all

This is what I have to say for now. I'll come back and give you updates when the season starts. I know for fact Swedens U20 head coach Roger Rönnberg really like Nyström so perhaps we will get to see Nyström represent Sweden in the upcoming WJC in Russia.
One of us. One of us.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 01:34 PM
  #30
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,831
vCash: 500
Thanks for the infos on Nystrom Le Tigre! You are free to make the Habs your eastern conference favourite team anytime.

I really doubt Habs and Wings are going to meet in the finals anytime soon so you should be safe

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
  #31
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,979
vCash: 500
I'd rather have used that very pick on Brandon Whitney...

Mathradio is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 02:21 PM
  #32
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,817
vCash: 500
This hype doesn't seem justified, based on draft position. If Montreal was as high on him as is indicated in this thread, they wouldn't have waited around to the 6th round. After all, they drafted Hudon ahead of him.

That said, I haven't seen him play. I've got some SEL games from this past season recorded, so I'll have a look before commenting much more. For now, I've got reserved optimism though, and appreciate the comments from our Swedish posters.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
  #33
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This hype doesn't seem justified, based on draft position. If Montreal was as high on him as is indicated in this thread, they wouldn't have waited around to the 6th round. After all, they drafted Hudon ahead of him.

That said, I haven't seen him play. I've got some SEL games from this past season recorded, so I'll have a look before commenting much more. For now, I've got reserved optimism though, and appreciate the comments from our Swedish posters.
The draft isnt all about who is highest on your list. Hudon plays in the Q. Nystrom limited minutes in the SEL. Its very conceivable that the viewings were limited on Nystrom so they knew he would last later. Its like saying Datsyuk and Zetterberg werent highly thought of by the Detroit Red Wings management. They knew the viewings were limited and of course, no one knew they'd be THAT good.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
  #34
Gally and Chucky
No Excuses
 
Gally and Chucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gatineau, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post
Insane speed, good vision and great wok ethic. Played solid in the few SEL-games he got to play last season and will be fighting to grab one of the last spots on the senior team next year.

A very exciting player to watch, with his speed and puck control he makes things happen almost every time he's on the ice.

I'll try to find some video footage of him later tonight.
I have never seen him play, but with that speed, could he be in someway compared to Hagelin?

Gally and Chucky is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 02:35 PM
  #35
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This hype doesn't seem justified, based on draft position. If Montreal was as high on him as is indicated in this thread, they wouldn't have waited around to the 6th round. After all, they drafted Hudon ahead of him.

That said, I haven't seen him play. I've got some SEL games from this past season recorded, so I'll have a look before commenting much more. For now, I've got reserved optimism though, and appreciate the comments from our Swedish posters.
Just like Pribyl last year and Gallagher before. There are players that don't get ranked high but have an interesting ceiling so they are picked later.

No one is saying he's a star. Just that he has good tools and things to improve.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:04 PM
  #36
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The draft isnt all about who is highest on your list. Hudon plays in the Q. Nystrom limited minutes in the SEL. Its very conceivable that the viewings were limited on Nystrom so they knew he would last later. Its like saying Datsyuk and Zetterberg werent highly thought of by the Detroit Red Wings management. They knew the viewings were limited and of course, no one knew they'd be THAT good.
That's the thing: both Z and Datsyuk, especially the former, were 'hidden' so to speak. Playing for MoDo, Nystrom hasn't been hidden, no matter the minutes played. Furthermore, there was a high level prospect on that same team--a prospect that could've gone anywhere in the top-50, so every team in the league was scouting him. There's no player on that club that could've been hidden, nor any team that would've risked taking a gem in the 6th round if they truly thought it was a gem.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
  #37
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
I'd rather have used that very pick on Brandon Whitney...
Or this guy that the Bruins picked......

With their final pick (205th overall), the Bruins selected forward Colton Hargrove of the Fargo Force in the USHL. The 6-2, 209-pound forward had 16 goals, 22 assists and 140 penalty minutes in 54 games for the Force last season.

38 points in 54 games in addition to 140 PIMs. And with his size....

Canadiens fans will have to get used to hating on Hargrove just like Lucic.


Last edited by SouthernHab: 06-23-2012 at 05:28 PM.
SouthernHab is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:21 PM
  #38
pine
irregistered user
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Singapore
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,455
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Or this guy that the Bruins picked......

With their final pick (205th overall), the Bruins selected forward Colton Hargrove of the Fargo Force in the USHL. The 6-2, 209-pound forward had 16 goals, 22 assists and 140 penalty minutes in 54 games for the Force last season.

38 points in 54 games in addition to 140 PIMs. And with his size....

Canadiens fans will have to get used to hating on Hargrove just like Lucic.
Yeah okay, a overager that was picked in the 7th round from the USHL, putting up numbers that aren't anything to write back to mom about. I'm scared.

pine is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
  #39
ThaDevilGirl
Registered User
 
ThaDevilGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YFC/YUL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Yeah okay, a overager that was picked in the 7th round from the USHL, putting up numbers that aren't anything to write back to mom about. I'm scared.
They so toff and we're so soff...

ThaDevilGirl is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
  #40
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Yeah okay, a overager that was picked in the 7th round from the USHL, putting up numbers that aren't anything to write back to mom about. I'm scared.
OK. Remember that name. Colton Hargrove. And we can compare him to Erik Nystrom in a few years.

Lest you forget, we already have a lot of undersized prospects at forward.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:32 PM
  #41
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
That's the thing: both Z and Datsyuk, especially the former, were 'hidden' so to speak. Playing for MoDo, Nystrom hasn't been hidden, no matter the minutes played. Furthermore, there was a high level prospect on that same team--a prospect that could've gone anywhere in the top-50, so every team in the league was scouting him. There's no player on that club that could've been hidden, nor any team that would've risked taking a gem in the 6th round if they truly thought it was a gem.
It can also mean he's less developed than others, but his ceiling is still interesting and with his attributes, there's no reason to believe he won't get really better. He could also bust...like any prospect.

But Bergevin said one thing that lead me to believe the Habs were quite surprised in every single round (except the first). He said he was surprised to see some of the players we picked still available for us. He also said he thought he was gonna lose Hudon, but he was still available in the 5th round.

So I think Hudon was going in the 4th, but Vail was still available. So maybe Nystrom would have been a 5th round pick.

Anyways, this draft was pretty much all over the place and it's not surprising to see a player like Nystrom going in the 6th round.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:42 PM
  #42
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
SouthernHab does make a point to ponder- we do have 1000 guys 5'11" 185 pounds. How many more do we need? You always need a tough physical player to add balance for the smaller skilled players. Do we have enough? I'm concerned.

TennisMenace is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:46 PM
  #43
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
SouthernHab does make a point to ponder- we do have 1000 guys 5'11" 185 pounds. How many more do we need? You always need a tough physical player to add balance for the smaller skilled players. Do we have enough? I'm concerned.
The point is to select the BPA to gain assets. When you have assets, you can manage them in different ways ; play them on your team, trade them for needs...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:55 PM
  #44
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
SouthernHab does make a point to ponder- we do have 1000 guys 5'11" 185 pounds. How many more do we need? You always need a tough physical player to add balance for the smaller skilled players. Do we have enough? I'm concerned.
In the 6th round you take anyone you think has NHL upside. If this guy beats the odds and turns out to be NHL quality, go ahead and trade him for a 6'5" 250 pound goon if that is a need. It's an investment, picking a guy in the 6th round with no upside just because he's tall is not a good investment.

Et le But is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
  #45
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
In the 6th round you take anyone you think has NHL upside. If this guy beats the odds and turns out to be NHL quality, go ahead and trade him for a 6'5" 250 pound goon if that is a need. It's an investment, picking a guy in the 6th round with no upside just because he's tall is not a good investment.
Colton Hargrove is not a goon. He is a big kid who can score and fight in the mold of Lucic.

But......no use complaining. What's done is done.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 05:58 PM
  #46
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
We do have balance. Some 7th round overager isn't going to make the difference. We have more forward prospects 6' and over than we do below that.

If Nystrom is a legit point producer, he'd be more valuable to our prospect pool than another grinder, of which we have plenty of.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
  #47
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,816
vCash: 500
All I can say, is that I would have picked Beauvillier here. 6th rounder though, so not a big deal, but good excuse/opportunity to pick a quality French player.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:16 PM
  #48
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Colton Hargrove is not a goon. He is a big kid who can score and fight in the mold of Lucic.

But......no use complaining. What's done is done.
I had my eye and my affection on this kid too. I love the physicality of hockey especially in a grueling playoff series. You need your Turner Stevensons too.
Brad Staubitz is nice, but not much after him (heavy weight class). Ryan White is also a fine middle weight force.
I'm not complaining with Nystrom, just sharing my thoughts and concerns out loud. I hate the Bruins more than anything and I have no desire to watch PK or Max have to drop the gloves.

TennisMenace is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:20 PM
  #49
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
The point is to select the BPA to gain assets. When you have assets, you can manage them in different ways ; play them on your team, trade them for needs...
Nice perspective. Let's hope we have such a surplus in one aspect that allows us to trade to bolster a deficiency in another.

TennisMenace is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:23 PM
  #50
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Nice perspective. Let's hope we have such a surplus in one aspect that allows us to trade to bolster a deficiency in another.
I'll also add that gaining an asset with a good pick in the later rounds is such a big bonus for any GM. If they saw something in this kid, I'm glad they took a chance on him and not a more popular name.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.