HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs select Charles Hudon - 122nd overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Chris Nilan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
I believe it is exactly the opposite & I'll use Latendresse & Riberio as examples. It seemed like they felt it was their God given right to wear the CH, thus they did not have to put any extra effort into their play because they were Quebecois, thus if you a Quebec born player on this that puts extra effort into their game it is the exception, not the rule.

That said, I believe Louis Leblanc will be the exception.
I disagree. I think there are players who get by on nothing but their talent in junior and only some of them get it eventually. Duncan Milroy, Ben Maxwell, and others are neither francophones nor quebecois. They just never made the adjustment to the fact that everyone has talent in the NHL!

I just love the way the home-town advantage is played up when it's some kid who says "a-boat" and "burry" and plays for Deadmonton or the Make Beliefs and discounted when it's Montreal. Hmm. Ethnocentrism, anyone?

Last edited by Chris Nilan: 06-23-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: pronoun logic: "their" requires a referent, which is "talent"
Old
06-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

He will be a nice project for Lapointe and co. If they can improve his skating and make his core stronger and thicker, he could be a player. Hands and vision are NHL calibre though.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:20 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Well, from that video, hes got a good repertoire of shots.. really good speed and nasty mitts.

Im willing to see how he develops.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Hudon invited to Team Canada U20 summer camp

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/

Old
06-23-2012, 02:38 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Hudon invited to Team Canada U20 summer camp

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/
No Thrower? Bust..

Old
06-23-2012, 03:39 PM
TennisMenace

At that point in the draft, I was looking for a large body - somebody who really likes to get physical. Not a goon, just someone with Turner Stevenson type abilities would suffice.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Damn, looks good in this vid.
That kid has a wicked slapshot! not bad

Old
06-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Timmins mentioned he selected him because of the great rookie season he had last year. Basically implied that he did not progress enough this year and that he is hoping he will turn it up over the next two years.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Sigh... Hudon has skills and all, but if I were to prognosticate his career path, I'd guess that it'll be closer to that of Benoit Mondou than Mike Ribeiro. I'm just not sure he'll ever develop into a package that is effective on NHL ice, and with guys like Seth Griffith, Logan Nelson, and Daniel Gunnarsson still on the board... I can't be too happy with the pick.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Sigh... Hudon has skills and all, but if I were to prognosticate his career path, I'd guess that it'll be closer to that of Benoit Mondou than Mike Ribeiro. I'm just not sure he'll ever develop into a package that is effective on NHL ice, and with guys like Seth Griffith, Logan Nelson, and Daniel Gunnarsson still on the board... I can't be too happy with the pick.
To be fair, Hudon has as much chance to make it than those three players. We are talking about late round picks here...

Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
To be fair, Hudon has as much chance to make it than those three players. We are talking about late round picks here...
Statistically, you're probably more or less right. However, like I suggested, if those 3 guys are available I'm choosing between them, not them and Hudon. I've seen plenty of guys with his skill who are his size and style go through the Q, and I'd compare him to someone like Mondou before someone like Ribeiro, that's all. Ribeiro was a higher draft pick (therefore projected talent), granted, but I'm talking about their skill(s)/fundamentals, role, how they play, what they provided to the team they played for, and what kind of production and trends they've shown, etc, in some sort of combination. Like you said, it's a late round pick, so no biggie. Just my 2 cents.

Looking at past winners of the Bergeron trophy (offensive rookie of the year), for example, you can kind of see the "type" of player that shows that kind of offensive potential in the Q then goes on to NHL success vs. those who don't rise as far if you've watched enough of all of them play. And that's just one narrow/specific starting point of comparison.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:53 PM
ElSid Crosby

Excellent pick!

Hudon is a smart player, has an excellent IQ, a very good passer and have great work ethic.

He needs to improve his skating and defensive play.

He doesn't have a great year but remember that he played a lot of games injured.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:47 PM
bleuetbio

Hudon got more than a point by game this year. He was on some top 30 during last summer son yes. its a bad year for someone who could be picked in first round, but its everything except a bad 5th rounder. In fact the guy has the Daniel Brière upside. Its a kind of homerun pick that I can compare to Archambault but with more chances of success. We have to try this kind of local pick each year and Hudon for me was the perfect guess. The Saguenéens are not realy good defensivly so it's easy to tell that Hudon is weak defensivly. In fact, the Sags kicks the ass of 2012 Memorial champions in playoffs and Hudon was a part of success.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:37 PM
KBstyle

So Hudon last 2 year +54 made him bad defensively, oh need probably +100 to be ok.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:18 PM
kojiro

I live about an hour away from Chicoutimi so I get to see maybe 20 Sags game every year. I'm pretty happy with the pick actually, the way I see it in the 5th round you can afford to take a 'chance'' with a homerun, all-or-nothing type of pick. Hudon had a very impressive year as a 16 year old so a lot of people expected him to at lest be the lead scorer on the team this season and while it didn't happen he still had a decent season in the end and was one of the better forwards in the playoffs.
He'll have a chance to be the main guy in Chicoutimi next year and he already has an invite on Team Canada's pre-camp so we'll be able to access what we have in him pretty quickly. If he can develop a stronger lower body I can really see him be a Brandan Gallagher type of pleasant surprise for us.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:35 PM
HomaridII

https://twitter.com/KidHud_10/status...136000/photo/1

Old
06-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Must be a nice birthday present.

The more I think about this pick, the more I like it. Not the homerun that some of the other selections was, but Hudon has plenty of upside for a 5th rounder. Like him more than Archambault.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Rockettrudel

Hudon is a ****ing good player.. next season in the Q he'll hit 100 points. His best quality is his sence of the game.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:26 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockettrudel View Post
Hudon is a ****ing good player.. next season in the Q he'll hit 100 points. His best quality is his sence of the game.
Yep, he a jewish fellow?

Old
06-24-2012, 11:30 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Must be a nice birthday present.

The more I think about this pick, the more I like it. Not the homerun that some of the other selections was, but Hudon has plenty of upside for a 5th rounder. Like him more than Archambault.
Every once in a while, Timmins derps...I don't think this is one of those times.

...he totally ****in' derped with Archambault. **** that pick.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Every once in a while, Timmins derps...I don't think this is one of those times.

...he totally ****in' derped with Archambault. **** that pick.
Hudon at the very least seems to have twice the brain Archambault does.

And either way, at least he's not an American high schooler.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:56 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

And either way, at least he's not an American high schooler.
He'll need all the brains he can get. The way I see it, there's two ways he becomes an NHL player:

1.) He learns to skate like the wind

2.) He's in fact smart enough that it doesn't really matter

He's got some dirty dangles and has an NHL shot already. He needs to be able to have the space and time though to use them.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:08 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
At that point in the draft, I was looking for a large body - somebody who really likes to get physical. Not a goon, just someone with Turner Stevenson type abilities would suffice.
Turner Stevenson was a 2nd round pick though

Old
06-25-2012, 12:11 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Yup Hudon has a better hockey sense, and better work ethics. He's not a headcase like Archambault is.

For those who haven't watched him play, I'd compare his playing style to the one of Mike Cammalleri.

Good hands, deadly wrister that he can place everywhere in the net. And he has a pretty darn good vision too.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:33 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Yup Hudon has a better hockey sense, and better work ethics. He's not a headcase like Archambault is.

For those who haven't watched him play, I'd compare his playing style to the one of Mike Cammalleri.

Good hands, deadly wrister that he can place everywhere in the net. And he has a pretty darn good vision too.
He doesn't have nearly the shot that Cammy had at the same age. He hustles a lot more than Cammy did though.

Closed Thread