HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round II, Pick #59: Boo Nieves

Old
06-23-2012, 11:25 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Yowza. What a goal. Don't see any problems with THOSE hands.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I don't know Bobby Mac; this kid can skate, Jessiman was never known as a great skater.

This guy will be playing for Michigan too. Good program. Let him do his thing there for a few years.
Nah, Jessiman was 6'5 and had alot of muscles on him, and at the age of 18 y/o he skated awfully well for a player with his size.

Most forwards who are 6'5+ almost never skates that well. They are very rare. Jessiman just moved and looked good for a player his size.

Jessiman isn't as bad of a pick that people made him out to be. Remember that the game changed ALOT the year after he was drafted. Everyone went from size to speed. There was like handful of player total in the league 5'10 or smaller in the league one year, the years after around 5'11 is almost the norm...

The rest of the kid came in and got a jump stat because they were young and could adjust fast -- while a ton of spots opened up because many older trapping special vets were faced out. Jessiman faced the opposite, he had to compete with a ton of these clutch and grab experts for a few spots.

Last edited by Ola: 06-23-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Chief

They're not saying "boooooo", they're saying...umm..."Boooooo".

I don't know much about a lot of the late 2nd rounders but Boo's a guy who got some publicity. Has some skills to work with. I'm down with Boo!

Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:46 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post

I don't know much about a lot of the late 2nd rounders but Boo's a guy who got some publicity. Has some skills to work with. I'm down with Boo!
Hehe, already envisioned Sam saying that...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

http://www.nhlmockdraft.org/cristoval-boo-nieves/

Why Your Team Will Take Him: Because he has all the tools to be a solid (or better) forward at the NHL level; because his upside is arguably the highest of the likely second-round prospects.

Why Your Team Will Pass on Him: Because his ability to put the puck in the net is a major question mark; because despite his size and speed he’s far from a ‘safe pick’; because seven goals against prep competition doesn’t seem to make sense.

Strengths: Explosivity, Skating, Size, Playmaking

Weaknesses/Concerns: Physicality, Finishing, Consistency, “Toolbox”

Projection: Third-Line Two-Way Winger – (10g, 45p potential)

Predicted 2012 NHL Draft Range: First/Second Round, 26-59

hmm i need to see more of him....maybe a good coach is what he needs..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Jacques Strap

Corey Pronman on Cristoval Nieves.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1321

58. Cristoval Nieves, Center, Kent-US High School

Nieves is a plus skater whose ability to move on the ice gets described within the industry by scouts as "explosive" and "sublime". He has tremendous acceleration that sees him rocket off after his first few steps with seemingly no effort behind his steps. Nieves' top speed isn't at the same level as his acceleration but is still very dangerous as he projects as the kind of forward who will always have defensemen on their toes when he's coming down on the rush. He's also a pretty gifted technical skater with a good stride which shows possible indication of taking his speed to a notch higher with more leg strength as well as good overall footwork in tight spaces and moving laterally. His puck skills are solid to above-average and can flash beyond that, but over the long-term basis he looks more of a "good, not great" type of player when it comes to his puck-handling ability. Nieves certainly does have some creativity and can make plays in open ice or off the half-wall, but I don't see the top-end hand-eye coordination to get to that next level. Nieves, known as "Boo" commonly, main knock is his physical game and his on-ice work ethic. His body still needs a ton of work, as he has a prototypical string bean frame and versus stronger opponents is easily knocked off his feet. However, he also really seems to lack the willingness to engage and show consistent hustle. His overall hockey sense is decent, as he will flash a creative move or nice seeing-eye pass offensively, or show good anticipation and positioning on defense, but then there will be several instances of getting way too cute with the puck and forcing bad plays. There certainly is projection in that area and it could just be a "high-school" thing, but it's worth noting the highs and lows of his game processing.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
“‘Boo’ is certainly the best high-profile kid in this area since (Rangers prospect) Chris Kreider,” Central Scouting’s Gary Eggleston told NHL.com.

Kreider, currently starring at Boston College, was taken with the 19th pick of the 2009 draft by the Rangers after starring at Phillips Academy, a prep school in Andover, Mass.

“He just explodes off the mark and has agility, balance and quickness to break loose from traffic,” Eggleston said. “He also has the physical strength to plow through checks along the wall and bring the puck with him. He sees the ice very well, is a very smart and creative playmaker and captains the team … he’s a very good team player.”
http://hockeynewsdigest.com/nhl-hock...-draft-727.php

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:59 PM
CH2

Love that Nieves is going to Michigan. Although Hagelin was an athletic freak when he got there, Red Berenson's strength and conditioning program is second to none. Nieves will grow into his body and become very, very well conditioned.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
“He could be a Joe Thornton-type of player,” Herr said. “That could be his upside. When Thornton first came into the League, people weren’t sure he would even be able to play.
This is just wrong. Thornton was touted as a the best draftee since Lindros when he was drafted. During his pre-draft year everyone was saying that he's already able to play in the NHL at the age of 17. He actually had underperformed in his career from what the expectations were.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:11 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Thornton is also not particularly fast, where as this kid is. Thornton is also a great passer and a pretty darn smart player. Nieves, at this point, has not shown much in terms of hockey sense.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:38 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Thornton is also not particularly fast, where as this kid is. Thornton is also a great passer and a pretty darn smart player. Nieves, at this point, has not shown much in terms of hockey sense.
That's the one reason I'm pretty "meh" about this pick. Players can grow or fill out, but hockey sense generally can't be taught.

Then again, there wasn't a tremendous amount of players available when we picked. There was a lot of great picks in the second, but they were all pretty much gone by the time we went. I would have reached for Mac^2, but if Clark and Gorton thought he was the better pick, so be it.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

ESPN Boston spoke with 2 NHL scouts about the New England area players

Quote:
Cristoval "Boo" Nieves, Kent School, C
Scout’s take: “He’s an incredible skater, a tall, rangy kid. He’s more of a playmaker than a goal-scorer and finisher, but that’s what his role is, a playmaking-center man. His skating ability is as good or as close to as good as you’ll find in this draft
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-...hl-draft-class

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post

"Those aren't boos! They're....boos! Boos for Boo!"

Fine with this pick. Would've rather Mac2 but Nieves is alright by me.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

are we trying to build a team with only americans or something?

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I haven't had the chance to join in today.

I am VERY happy with our draft.

Happy my guy went out west, too.

Skjei and Nieves are great kids. Great skaters. I love going with players that are going through the USA Hockey development path. HS, USHL/USNTDP, NCAA, AHL, NHL.

Continuing the build the identity here.

This Rangers team will be hard to keep up with, the speed is going to be a great asset.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:50 PM
YoungD4

SO they think he is just like Krieder

YoungD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:53 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Even if he's a bottom 6 player, which he probably will be, I LOVE that we're adding speed and good skaters. I said it when we drafted Skjei, but we're really building a team of guys who know how to get around the ice.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:58 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Just like Miller, Fogarty and, to a lesser extent, Skjei, I just want to see this kid incubate for a few years. I'm not concerned about timetables. There's no pressing need to go penciling these kids into imaginary lineups. just let these kids take their time and develop properly. It's an approach that's starting to produce big time results.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:01 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Just like Miller, Fogarty and, to a lesser extent, Skjei, I just want to see this kid incubate for a few years. I'm not concerned about timetables. There's no pressing need to go penciling these kids into imaginary lineups. just let these kids take their time and develop properly. It's an approach that's starting to produce big time results.
Boo needs at the bare minimum 3 years in college. I'd like him to do a full 3 or even 4. He is a Project with a capital P.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Boo needs at the bare minimum 3 years in college. I'd like him to do a full 3 or even 4. He is a Project with a capital P.

That's fine with me. I think this organization is at a point where they're being recognized as one of the better teams at drafting and developing prospects. There is no reason to rush this kid.

Last edited by jas: 06-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:09 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
This pick caused a lot of envy over at the Habs board. We were all high on him all season long. I was pissed when the Habs took Leblanc over Kreider, now you guys got Nieves. Youve got some great scouts here in New York.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
This pick caused a lot of envy over at the Habs board. We were all high on him all season long. I was pissed when the Habs took Leblanc over Kreider, now you guys got Nieves. Youve got some great scouts here in New York.
That's OK. Habs had a very good draft themselves.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
That's fine with me. I thin this organization is at a point where they're being recognized as one of the better teams at drafting and developing prospects. There is no reason to rush this kid.
And Berenson will probably do a very good job of developing him at Michigan.

The tools are there. He's a good kid willing to learn. He's going to a great program to develop.

So is Skjei.

They'll both be playing stiff competition in the CCHA and WCHA.

Fogarty will be facing Nieves quite a bit the next few years. Michigan and Notre Dame.

To me, the gap between the NCAA and CHL is nil IMO. And the Rangers are starting to take advantage of that.

They should not have pushed Miller to the CHL. But they wanted him signed ASAP.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:44 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

The tools are there. He's a good kid willing to learn. He's going to a great program to develop.

So is Skjei.

Fogarty will be facing Nieves quite a bit the next few years. Michigan and Notre Dame.

To me, the gap between the NCAA and CHL is nil IMO. And the Rangers are starting to take advantage of that.

For the type of system the Rangers play under Torts, the NCAA is the best way to develop skaters. Defensively accountable, tough kids. Who is the last major-junior player to step in with the Rangers? DZ/Sauer? Since then, McD, Step, Hagelin, Kreider, Bickel (although short time in NCAA).

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:48 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

So is Skjei.

in 2 years skjei and nieves will be playing in the big 10 hockey conference!

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote