HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal to Carolina

Old
06-23-2012, 04:02 PM
TheRedressor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
EJS280 wasn't
Well in the 2009 series Staal didn't match up against Ovechkin.

Redden-Rozsival did.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:03 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Man oh man. I know this was started as a "unite the brothers" thread, but man Rangers fans are greedy. Skinner?

In what galaxy?

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
EJS280 wasn't
Staal didn't do good in 2010-11, but was good in the previous series against the caps.. He really stepped up his game this year playoff's though.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
stlblues9

vCash: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I'd say Jordan "I never scored more than 50 points" Staal and Eric "I only start producing when my team is already out of the playoff race" Staal are more overrated.
Kinda funny how those 2 are the ones with the cups though and Marc is still looking for his first. BTW Jordan played very well in the playoffs this year and Eric was a big help to their run.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Skinner is far more valuable then Staal.I hate the Canes the most out of any team and even I can't deny that Skinner is an absolute beast.
What incentive do the Rangers have otherwise to trade Marc to the Canes? They need scoring help and some of the guys are overpaid (Ruutu, LaRose) or are very unproven (Dalpe, Boychuk). It doesn't seem desirable for a contending team to gift-wrap a top tier shutdown defenseman without getting talent in return.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
KingLB

Its funny how depending on which Rangers thread you go into, that player is the #1 defensemen on the team....Oh and they are all top15 defensemen in the league....

Can someone tell me the difference between Staal and Willie Mitchell, except that one is "rated" as a top15 defender and the other isn't....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
That's not what's being said at all. Carolina can just wait until the price for Marc becomes lower, not wait for him to hit UFA.

Marc's value, right now, is quite high (obviously). He's still got plenty of years remaining on his deal and he's still a key contributor to the Rangers team. A few years down the road, however, his price may be lower due to one of these (or outside) factors changing. And that's why Carolina should wait. They're in no hurry to grab him, the Rangers are in no hurry to trade him.
You make valid points but I will disagree.

Torts wanted him to start developing his offensive game. He started doing that until he got hurt. In 2 years time he will have refined his offensive game.

Marc is 25 years old, in 2 years, he will be 27 entering his prime.
I will argue that his value then will be higher than his value now.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Man oh man. I know this was started as a "unite the brothers" thread, but man Rangers fans are greedy. Skinner?

In what galaxy?
Skinner is more valuable than Staal, of course.

The point is twofold.

One- the Rangers are in win now mode, they haven't missed the playoffs the last 3 years. They want players that will score and help them win here and now, so a package of picks and prospects is of little value to us.

Two- Literally the only player on Carolina not names Staal that would land Staal without being a downgrade is Skinner.

We don't have too trade Marc. We never instigated talks to deal Marc. So if Carolina really desperately wanted him they would have to overpay unless Marc explicitly stated his displeasure or desire for a trade.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Kinda funny how those 2 are the ones with the cups though and Marc is still looking for his first. BTW Jordan played very well in the playoffs this year and Eric was a big help to their run.
Those two won cups since they played on more significantly balanced teams than the Rangers. They played big parts don't get me wrong, especially Eric, but it's tough to compare the playoff scenarios between the players.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Its funny how depending on which Rangers thread you go into, that player is the #1 defensemen on the team....Oh and they are all top15 defensemen in the league....

Can someone tell me the difference between Staal and Willie Mitchell, except that one is "rated" as a top15 defender and the other isn't....
Not to sound arrogant, but Girardi, MDZ, and McDonagh all finished in the top 15 in Norris voting.

Staal was an all star the year before, and likely would have been this year if not for his concussion.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:10 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Those two won cups since they played on more significantly balanced teams than the Rangers. They played big parts don't get me wrong, especially Eric, but it's tough to compare the playoff scenarios between the players.
What? The NYR finished first in the EC this year which would make the Rangers a significantly balanced team. Great goaltending, great defense, and a very well balanced offense.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

Marc is still only 24 and has been improving every season until this year due to concussion. There is still some upside ontop of the fact that he already was a top defenseman on a defensive powerhouse of a team this past year. Sure if Mitchell was 24 and continued to improve every year, you can make a legitimate argument. But the upside in him makes him a better option moving forward.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
What? The NYR finished first in the EC this year which would make the Rangers a significantly balanced team. Great goaltending, great defense, and a very well balanced offense.
Nope.

Staal isn't perfect, but he is pretty damn valuable.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Affinity

Quote:

You're a Kings fan right? What exactly is it that you have against the Rangers, I've seen you bashing our fanbase and players in multiple threads. I'd understand if you were a Devils fan... The reason why we have Ranger fans saying different defensemen are the best is because, I don't know, they're ALL really good.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Marc Staal's not available.

If you want him bad enough, make it worth our wild, meaning blow us away with an offer instead of low-balling us with Quantity/Quality.
Sifting through the pages of this thread was worth it just for that

As for the topic, I think Marc Staal for Skinner is actually a pretty fair one for one swap.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Staal is not being shopped, he was tagged as untouchable by the organization. If you want him, you have to overpay massively. If you can't afford him, it is completely fine with us. You keep your assets and we keep Marc. We revisit in couple of years.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rockinghockey

Another thread that wants a player but won't trade a player that is unproven in Faulk, Skinner is not going to be moved though.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:14 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Nope.

Staal isn't perfect, but he is pretty damn valuable.
All I'm saying is that Jordan and Eric both played key parts in winning a cup for their teams while Marc hasn't done that. So for you to say Jordan and Eric are both more overrated doesn't really make sense.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
All I'm saying is that Jordan and Eric both played key parts in winning a cup for their teams while Marc hasn't done that. So for you to say Jordan and Eric are both more overrated doesn't really make sense.
I guess winning cups prevents you from being overrated?

Can I say Brad Richards is underrated while Steven Stamkos is overrated?

Old
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Haha good one! Our inability to score was ultimately our downfall as it lead to two back to back 7 game series. They may not have wanted to admit it but combined with the Devils hard forecheck fatigue set in and they were done.

It has been a problem for years now. If our offense ever figures out how to finish watch out!

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:17 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Marc is still only 24 and has been improving every season until this year due to concussion. There is still some upside ontop of the fact that he already was a top defenseman on a defensive powerhouse of a team this past year. Sure if Mitchell was 24 and continued to improve every year, you can make a legitimate argument. But the upside in him makes him a better option moving forward.
I'm not going to get into the benefits of playing in big hockey market has on NHL awards....(this line was directed at Anitthesis but forgot to quote him)

But what does age have to do with how a defender is rated? Was Lidstrom not a top5 defender last year cause he was 39??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
You're a Kings fan right? What exactly is it that you have against the Rangers, I've seen you bashing our fanbase and players in multiple threads. I'd understand if you were a Devils fan... The reason why we have Ranger fans saying different defensemen are the best is because, I don't know, they're ALL really good.
I have nothing against the Rangers....can't even remember the last time I posted in a Rangers thread....except that Cbus was asking way to much for Nash...

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:19 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
I guess winning cups prevents you from being overrated?

Can I say Brad Richards is underrated while Steven Stamkos is overrated?
Whatever, Jordan and Eric are both better than Marc.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I'm not going to get into the benefits of playing in big hockey market has on NHL awards....

But what does age have to do with how a defender is rated? Was Lindstrom not a top5 defender last year cause he was 39??
Who is this Lindstrom you speak of?

Age definitely does have a factor IMO. Lidstrom lost a step last year, even though he was really good, he wasn't as good as he was in his prime years. Staal's mobility makes we pick him over Mitchell. Just my opinion though.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I should remind folks that fanbase flaming is infraction-worthy.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Psyduck
cephalalgia

Quote:
It's almost as funny as Hurricane fans asking for him in a trade proposal and then proceeding to call him overrated!

Blasphemy!

BTW find me one defense pairing that did manage to shutdown Ovechkin in the playoffs.
I didn't make the thread as I don't care if we ever get Marc at all. As for calling him overrated it was based on the value placed on him by the Rangers fans in this thread.

As for Ovechkin, I wasn't the Rangers fan who said that Marc Staal is a shutdown defender who handles Crosby, Malkin, and OV every playoff year. I just pointed out that that was inaccurate and thought it was funny when the fans pointed out that Staal didn't even get matched up against OV. What kind of elite shutdown defender doesn't get matched up against the other team's superstar?

Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote