HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matia Marcantuoni | Center | Kitchener | 4th round, 92nd overall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
  #1
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 70,150
vCash: 500
Matia Marcantuoni | Center | Kitchener | 4th round, 92nd overall


Quote:
Originally Posted by thehockeywriters
Matia Marcantuoni is one the top forward prospects available in the 2012 NHL Draft. His balance and power are major strengths of his game, and he uses them to go all out on every shift. Marcantuoni is viewed as a legitimate top ten pick, and it wouldn’t be outrageous to say that he could even be selected in the top five. When Matia was chosen by the Kitchener Rangers in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection, the team was ecstatic to get him because they knew they would be getting a tremendous player.
Quote:
2009-2010 ST. MICHAELS OJHL 2 2 0 2 2
2010-2011 KITCHENER OHL 42 11 16 27 26
2011-2012 KITCHENER OHL 24 9 5 14 10

Any reports welcome.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:03 AM
  #2
MurphyDump
Registered User
 
MurphyDump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Love it! I've heard about this kid from a friend of mine that scouts for the OHL.

http://thehockeywriters.com/matia-ma...olt-of-hockey/

...and no he's not Koltsov or Fata v2.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:03 AM
  #3
BeefWellington
Enjoy the Ment.
 
BeefWellington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
What a pick!! I love it!

BeefWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:04 AM
  #4
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,653
vCash: 500



wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:10 AM
  #5
Superstar Shane
Registered User
 
Superstar Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Craig Button's writeup in TSN's June draft rankings:
Quote:
Matia had a start to his year that set him back and didn't allow him to adequately show what he's capable of. It began with a concussion and then a shoulder injury ended his season and he was never able to get his feet underneath him. He is an excellent skater with speed and quickness and he can close on the fore-check quickly or create open ice and separation for himself. He is a competitor and he gets involved physically and he engages fully in the competitive battles. With his skating he can make a big difference in the game and while he has utilized it mostly for offense to this point, it certainly can be a weapon to play defense and disrupt an opponent's offensive thrust. He has a good shot and he will follow it to the net and pay the price to score. He is more of a player who receives the puck than delivering it and with the right compliment of line mates, his skills could be maximized. He has a very good skill set and being able to stay healthy should help him realize his potential.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9830

Superstar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:14 AM
  #6
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,408
vCash: 500
WHO THE HELL IS THIS KID?!

He looks amazing!

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:30 AM
  #7
Matt Damon
Registered User
 
Matt Damon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Just wanted to add that I saw him play live at the U-18 Gold medal game when he was with Team Ontario. The kid REALLY stood out and seemed to have a ton of high end skill. Didn't even realize he was eligible this year because I thought he was a sure fire first round pick. This has to be a steal.

Matt Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:55 AM
  #8
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,276
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Why did he fall so much?

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:56 AM
  #9
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Why did he fall so much?
Injuries.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:22 AM
  #10
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,509
vCash: 650
This could be a steal. At the beginning of the season, he was being talked about as a 1st round pick. Injuries and struggling to find his groove because of those injuries knocked him down the rankings.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:55 AM
  #11
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,549
vCash: 500
The speed of this kid just jumps off the screen when you watch the clips. Just insanely fast. Hope there's more to him though since players with only that attribute have long gotten exposed in the NHL.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:56 AM
  #12
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,580
vCash: 500
Amazing to me he fell out of the 2nd AND 3rd round, given that the supposed experts are saying he'd have been a Top 15 type pick if he hadn't been hurt / missed some time. I could see falling out of the 1st because of injuries but there seems to be a lot to like about this kid. Also no character issues that people are talking about. Did he have more than 1 concussion maybe in the last couple years? I wonder if just the word concussion sends a bunch of teams in the other direction now / everyone is totally paranoid about it, when for many players it might be the only one they get over a long period of time.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:52 PM
  #13
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,994
vCash: 500
love the pick

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:01 PM
  #14
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,505
vCash: 500
Looks really similar to what Tyler Kennedy brings to this team (or prospect-wise, similar to Josh Archibald). That's a very good player for us and at that point in the draft.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:07 PM
  #15
71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Moundsville, WV
Country: United States
Posts: 5,647
vCash: 500
My new favorite prospect for the Pens.

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:17 PM
  #16
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,447
vCash: 500
I had Marcantuoni ranked 26th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote.

Ranking Marcantuoni was incredibly difficult for me. The injuries, combined with his disappointing play, gave me fits when trying to slot him into my top 50. It's essentially going strictly off potential. He has loads of skill. He's got great speed, a great shot and can drive to the net very effectively. When he's at his best, he's also aggressive physically and plays an in your face kind of style. But there are several things that scare the crap out of me about drafting him. The first is the injuries. A high ankle sprain cost him a significant chunk of time last year. This year it's been concussions and a wonky shoulder (that required season ending surgery). This leads me to "thing" number two. After being so injury prone, you have to wonder if he can sustain a physical playing style, which unfortunately for him, makes him most effective. When he came back from injury at one point this year, he looked really tentative out there and was forced to play a perimeter game. Lastly, as of right now his game seems to be built off being able to use his speed to make things happen. With so little development time this season, it was hard to see him progress in that area and I think that some of the hockey sense concerns people have brought up may be legitimate. So many question marks. So much potential. All it takes is one team to believe in what he brings to the table (which I guess was you guys).

__________________
OHL Prospects Blog - http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
OHL Prospects on Twitter - @BrockOtten
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
  #17
steelcityassault
Registered User
 
steelcityassault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Looks really similar to what Tyler Kennedy brings to this team (or prospect-wise, similar to Josh Archibald). That's a very good player for us and at that point in the draft.
Marcantuoni is a LOT more skilled, with more potential than TK ever had

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:33 PM
  #18
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 70,150
vCash: 500
How fast is he really? I mean, does anyone have any stats?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
  #19
theicebox
#MonixWatch
 
theicebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
How fast is he really? I mean, does anyone have any stats?
Like the guy from the Mighty Ducks movies.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:00 PM
  #20
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,580
vCash: 500
Koltsov fast but without the brick hands?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
  #21
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
I'm hungry for some EasyMac...

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:59 PM
  #22
SidGenoMario
Registered User
 
SidGenoMario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,307
vCash: 500
Has anyone in this organization NOT recently suffered a concussion?

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:52 PM
  #23
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,580
vCash: 500
No ****, right? That's at least two prospects I saw that had that problem. I think Maatta was the other one; they had video clips of it but he came back and played very strong.



Also I would like to point out if it hasn't been done already, this player's nickname is decided:


Macaroni AIAEC



(Just noticed Ron Burgundy's post and I think now I see what he did there.)

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:32 PM
  #24
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
No ****, right? That's at least two prospects I saw that had that problem. I think Maatta was the other one; they had video clips of it but he came back and played very strong.



Also I would like to point out if it hasn't been done already, this player's nickname is decided:


Macaroni AIAEC



(Just noticed Ron Burgundy's post and I think now I see what he did there.)
Not nearly as good as Gomer

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:56 PM
  #25
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I had Marcantuoni ranked 26th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote.

Ranking Marcantuoni was incredibly difficult for me. The injuries, combined with his disappointing play, gave me fits when trying to slot him into my top 50. It's essentially going strictly off potential. He has loads of skill. He's got great speed, a great shot and can drive to the net very effectively. When he's at his best, he's also aggressive physically and plays an in your face kind of style. But there are several things that scare the crap out of me about drafting him. The first is the injuries. A high ankle sprain cost him a significant chunk of time last year. This year it's been concussions and a wonky shoulder (that required season ending surgery). This leads me to "thing" number two. After being so injury prone, you have to wonder if he can sustain a physical playing style, which unfortunately for him, makes him most effective. When he came back from injury at one point this year, he looked really tentative out there and was forced to play a perimeter game. Lastly, as of right now his game seems to be built off being able to use his speed to make things happen. With so little development time this season, it was hard to see him progress in that area and I think that some of the hockey sense concerns people have brought up may be legitimate. So many question marks. So much potential. All it takes is one team to believe in what he brings to the table (which I guess was you guys).
Thanks Brock, he's had the same injuries as Crosby (Concussion, High Ankle Sprain) and Malkin (Shoulder problem) .

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.