HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the 30th pick, Kings select Tanner Pearson

Old
06-23-2012, 01:21 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
With the 30th pick, Kings select Tanner Pearson

The Kings kept the 30th and final pick in Fridayís first round of the NHL Draft and selected left winger Tanner Pearson from the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League. Pearson, who turns 20 on Aug. 10, was in his third year of draft eligibility but was not selected in 2010 or 2011. Pearson, listed at 6 feet and 198 pounds, is a native of Kitchener, Ontario, and had been ranked 25th among all North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting.

In 2010-11, Pearsonís first season with the Colts, he had 15 goals and 27 assists in 66 games. This season, he had 37 goals and 54 assists in 60 games before he suffered a broken leg in March. Pearsonís 91 points were a team high and ranked third in the OHL. Pearson also played for Canada in the World Junior Championships and had one goal and five assists in six games as Canada won a bronze medal.

Welcome to the team Tanner!

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Fat Elvis

vCash: 500
I read some didn't like the pick. Wonder if that opinion has changed with some time to think about it? He does seem like a DL type player and has that high compete level to his game.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
I think if you guys wanted someone close to the NHL, thats your man. He is an overager.

Do I think there were better forwards left on the board? Yes, I do. I dont think Pearson is a goal scorer, he is a solid all-around player and probably more of a passer.

You guys need scoring on the wing still. Therefore, I would have gone with any of these guys instead:
Aberg - pure goal-scorer
Di Giuseppe - more creative than Pearson and still has upside
Kerdiles - a bit boom or bust but still more upside than Pearson

So not a horrible pick, but you had better options.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I think if you guys wanted someone close to the NHL, thats your man. He is an overager.

Do I think there were better forwards left on the board? Yes, I do. I dont think Pearson is a goal scorer, he is a solid all-around player and probably more of a passer.

You guys need scoring on the wing still. Therefore, I would have gone with any of these guys instead:
Aberg - pure goal-scorer
Di Giuseppe - more creative than Pearson and still has upside

Kerdiles - a bit boom or bust but still more upside than Pearson

So not a horrible pick, but you had better options.
Were you reading my picks leading up to the 30th selection?

Old
06-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Were you reading my picks leading up to the 30th selection?
No I wasnt...just have done plenty of research

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:30 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
No I wasnt...just have done plenty of research
As have I. And being a Michigan fan, I got to see LOTS of PDG. Sad they passed him over. Was really rallying for them to pick him. Hopefully Pearson turns out to be a good pick so I don't feel as bad about not having a Michigan guy on the Kings for the distant future.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Reclamation Project
#BeatLA

vCash: 592

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
KingLB

Quote:
As have I. And being a Michigan fan, I got to see LOTS of PDG. Sad they passed him over. Was really rallying for them to pick him. Hopefully Pearson turns out to be a good pick so I don't feel as bad about not having a Michigan guy on the Kings for the distant future.
Answered your own question on why DL didn't draft him.

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:03 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Answered your own question on why DL didn't draft him.
I know and it's pathetic. You pass over what is a better prospect IMO because he hates Red Berenson.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Brock

I had Pearson rated as the top overager from the OHL this year.

Here's what I wrote.

What a year a difference makes. From a player nobody really knows on the worst team in the OHL one year, to one of the league's leading scorers and team Canada WJC member on one of the East's best teams. I think he's going to have a fair amount of success at the next level. He's got the size needed to play a goal scorer's game at the NHL level, and the right mind set too. His smarts are definitely one of his best assets IMO. Pearson is one of those guys who people say always finds himself at the right place at the right time for scoring opportunities. But that's because he anticipates the play well ahead of the other players on the ice. And while he's not a burner in terms of top speed, his acceleration and strength on his feet is strong and allows him to be a hard player to stop on the way to the net. He's also got a fantastic shot and can shoot from just about anywhere on the ice. I felt like after the WJC's, his overall game really took a step forward too; that being his defensive play and work on the cycle. It's really too bad that he broke his leg in that last game, as it would have been fun to see him perform in the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see if Pearson can manage to be the first draft re-entry from the OHL to get selected in the first round come June.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:27 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Boys...this is a Cup-winning team thats is extremely young. Time to start building a Red Wings type development system where guys can play in the AHL for a good amount of time and can step in somewhat seamlessly and usually in the bottom six or bottom pairing. Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Carter, Williams and possibly Penner are all young with Manchester starting to look formidable with Vey, Toffoli, Kozun and now maybe Pearson. I think Lombardi tries for boom or bust guys in the later rounds but picks guys that he feels are sure-fire NHL'ers in the 1st round, in the sense that they will at least be useful, every day players. There were definitely sexier names available when Lewis was picked--I wanted Chris Stewart badly--but they got their guy and it paid off tremendously as he has turned into a real gritty son-of-a-***** who is important to this team. I've been critical of the Lewis pick in the past but you can't be upset about it even though Giroux was taken later. With that being said, you have to give Dean the benefit of the doubt that this will be a solid pick down the road. He has not drafted a sensational scoring forward, Toffoli maybe, but he drafts "hockey players".

Back to the Red Wings, their rookies usually get to break in on the bottom lines and get acclimated to the NHL while already playing some seasons of pro hockey, be it in the AHL or overseas. I think we are starting to see that and it's only going to help development as it's going to be a dogfight just to make the NHL roster.

BigKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Here's what I wrote.

What a year a difference makes. From a player nobody really knows on the worst team in the OHL one year, to one of the league's leading scorers and team Canada WJC member on one of the East's best teams. I think he's going to have a fair amount of success at the next level. He's got the size needed to play a goal scorer's game at the NHL level, and the right mind set too. His smarts are definitely one of his best assets IMO. Pearson is one of those guys who people say always finds himself at the right place at the right time for scoring opportunities. But that's because he anticipates the play well ahead of the other players on the ice. And while he's not a burner in terms of top speed, his acceleration and strength on his feet is strong and allows him to be a hard player to stop on the way to the net. He's also got a fantastic shot and can shoot from just about anywhere on the ice. I felt like after the WJC's, his overall game really took a step forward too; that being his defensive play and work on the cycle. It's really too bad that he broke his leg in that last game, as it would have been fun to see him perform in the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see if Pearson can manage to be the first draft re-entry from the OHL to get selected in the first round come June.

Thanks for that!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:44 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Here's what I wrote.

Even everyone's favorite analyst Craig Button mentioned what a solid pick this guy was when asked who he really liked in the draft. He even said he had a shot at making the team and he fit the Sutter mold to a tee.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
I know and it's pathetic. You pass over what is a better prospect IMO because he hates Red Berenson.
It's the way things go. Every team has their pipeline schools and junior teams. All things being equal the Kings would rather draft a CHL player over a Euro player or an NCAA guy.

UM will continue to be a feeder program to teams like NJ, NYR and Montreal because they have provided those teams well over the years. Larry Bernard had some great things to say about the program after they drafted Nieves.

I like the Kings pick here though, a much needed skilled winger who can turn pro right away because the CHL cartel thankfully can't touch 20 year olds.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:18 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Also speaking of the Rangers, they got a really good one in Skjei. I was able to catch a few of his games this season and he is really good. A bit overshadowed by Jones and Trouba on the NTDP but he is going to be a top pairing defender in the NHL. I was at a baseball game the night of the draft but was following on my phone, was really hoping he would have fallen to the Kings.

Schmaltz is another guy I wonder if the Kings may have taken a look at. Played midget in Chicago, was lanky then, is still lanky now but if he can keep his skill set and grow into his body he could be a good pro. And despite growing up in Madison is going to UND (a school the Kings like). Will be interesting to see how his development compares to Forbort. Schmaltz doesn't have the size or reach of Forbort but I think his offensive game is a bit better.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:03 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Videos of Tanner Pearson:

Talk about fast hands:

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Some links to videos from the Barrie Colts website:

http://www.barriecolts.com/video/index/id/1323202491

http://www.barriecolts.com/video/index/id/1322068268

Old
06-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

One more video link to add:
http://www.barriecolts.com/video/index/id/1323114733

He kind of looks like a lanky Simon Gagne doesn't he?

Pearson has an NHL quality shot, he's a strong worker along the boards, and he's also a deft playmaker. Could be looking at a future top six LW.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Thanks for all the videos, Ziggy. I like what I'm seeing and hearing from Pearson.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

What's astonishing to me is that in 2008, when Tanner Pearson was listed as being 5'9" and 155 lbs when he was selected in the 14th round, with the 266th pick by the Barrie Colts in the OHL draft.

He's now closer to 6'2" according to Mike Futa and listed at over 190 lbs. Talk about growth spurt!

Old
06-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ound-pick.html
Quote:
After Pearson had bounced back-and-forth between the Colts second and third line in his rookie season, in which he checked in with 15 goals and 42 points in 66 games, Hawerchuk phoned his player last summer.

"He told me I not only could be a top-six forward in the league, but I could lead the OHL in scoring," Pearson recalled. "I kind of sloughed off the part about me leading the league in scoring, but I knew I could work harder and become better.

"I wanted to make hockey my life."

Old
06-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Octavian1999

Interesting if not optimistic article: "NHL Draft 2012: Kings' Tanner Pearson Is the First Round's Biggest Steal"

http://*******************/articles/...-biggest-steal

Octavian1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavian1999 View Post
Interesting if not optimistic article: "NHL Draft 2012: Kings' Tanner Pearson Is the First Round's Biggest Steal"

http://*******************/articles/...-biggest-steal
********************* back at you!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:57 PM
rajuabju

I was not that excited about this pick. I dont think its horrible, but I agree there were probably 2 or 3 other guys that could have been picked instead, and Pearson may very well have still remained available with later round picks. At the very least, DL could have potentially traded down to the 2nd round and picked up another pick for next years draft?

Again, not a bad pick... just not what seems to be the best move. But what do I know... maybe DL had him high on his list for something.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

I don't have any complaints. Sounds like the true definition of a late bloomer. Pearson said when he was 18, he was 5'8" and now Futa says he's at least 6'1" in an interview. That's a pretty dramatic growth spurt. Most 18 year olds that we draft that are that height and skilled, stay that height. Here's a kid whose numbers along with his height, skyrocketed. Sounds good to me.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote