HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XIV - A Lu for a Steal (Mod Warning In OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Diamonddog01

vCash: 500
While on the one hand I'm glad Gillis is being patient so he gets the best deal possible, on the other hand I really want this Van - Fla trade completed so this thread can die.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:06 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
MG has been ok as GM of the Canucks. He has taken some chances, some have worked out, others have not - but at least he takes chances rather than going for low potential scrubs like Nonis did.
Sure. That's not even my point. I am saying that the "evidence" used for some poster's assertions in this thread is idiotic.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Somehow you forget BB's massive overpayment for Kessel, yet drag up the Sundin offer?

Hypocritical to say the least. Every GM in the league has a past which could be used to infer that they are going to lose "the poker game".

Keep reaching though, it's fun.
Really? I did?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...155853&page=34
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1131423&page=2

Keep reaching kid.....

Old
06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Here's a typical argument posed in this thread:

GMMG is a bad general manager. Why you ask? Because if he signed Sundin he wouldn't have re-signed the Sedins. Why wouldn't he have re-signed the Sedins? 'Cause he's a bad general manager.
And even if it did (which it didn't), is almost really a measure to determine how good or not a GM is?... Burke almost did this good thing, so he's good... Gillis almost did this bad thing, so he's bad... How about focussing on what did happen? How about using reality to determine how good a GM is (or isn't) - instead of alternate universes containing best and worst case scenarios, and infinite possibilities?

Old
06-23-2012, 04:17 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCracken View Post
Though I am not a kid, I am certainly glad that one's intelligence isn't predicated by one's age.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:19 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
We Definately deserve some hate. We are arrogant and have a good team. We have guys who dive (kes), our best players r twin Swedish brothers, and our most clutch player is a French Canadian beakfest.

That's why I love this team (besides the diving). Yea we have alot of haters, but who is enjoying playoff hockey? We are.!
I didn't start to hate the Canucks until I found out their fans hated us.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I didn't start to hate the Canucks until I found out their fans hated us.
Personally, it's the media and then the fans who feed into the "centre of the universe" thing.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
No, I haven't. I've actually heard, several times, that Florida is interested and that Tallon contacted Vancouver. So you can sit there and pretend to understand the Panthers organization, and their needs, but it's all just your imagination. Not sure why Leafs fans seem to think they have some sort of authority to speak on behalf of the Panthers - but you don't.

Several sources have reported Tallon is interested. That's a fact.

Says you. Others, such as Bob McKenzie, Pierre LeBrun and Darren Dreger say it's Toronto, Florida and possibly others.

I'll trust guys like Bob McKenzie over a random poster on HF Boards, thanks.
Actually Bob McKenzie is saying "Florida and Toronto likely two most interested teams in Roberto Luongo". Doesn't sound like fact as in "it is" but I do absolutely take his word and opinion over anybody else by a mile. LeBrun is pretty good but Dreger?

You make it sound like I'm talking as an insider, which I am clearly not. I'm drawing conclusions and speculating like everybody is including the media. You hearing several times about Florida doesn't mean any more than my opinion as a Canucks fan or any Leafs fan's opinion for that matter but I find it hard to believe Tallon will take Luongo and his paycheque at anything other than a bargain.

And I might add, Luongo wouldn't represent a short term transition to Markstrom but a complete change in direction as a 4 - 5 year solution. That's why I believe the Leafs are the logical suitor.

Last edited by Tim McCracken: 06-23-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Actually Bob McKenzie is saying "Florida and Toronto likely two most interested teams in Roberto Luongo". Doesn't sound like fact as in "it is" but I do absolutely take his word and opinion over anybody else by a mile. LeBrun is pretty good but Dreger?

You make it sound like I'm talking as an insider, which I am clearly not. I'm drawing conclusions and speculating like everybody is including the media. You hearing several times about Florida doesn't mean any more than my opinion as a Canucks fan or any Leafs fan's opinion for that matter but I find it hard to believe Tallon will take Luongo and his paycheque at anything other than a bargain.
There's more evidence of Tallon being interested than there is evidence of Florida being unwilling to take Luongo's contract. There's also this, a local Vancouver journalist who is generally quite accurate

Tallon: ya, we did talk to Vancouver about goaltending

Tallon: but we’re not willing to give up any of our top prospects

http://twitter.com/#!/botchford

Florida taking Luongo at a bargain is different from Florida not being able to take him at all due to his contract.

Of course Florida, and Toronto, and probably a few others want Luongo at a bargain. Gillis is not trading him for a bargain however, and will patiently wait until the right trade comes along.

I think there is far less pressure than others are stating to make a deal, there wasn't a rift in the locker room, nor was Luongo disgruntled. It's all been pretty low-key and stress free thus far.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
Though I am not a kid, I am certainly glad that one's intelligence isn't predicated by one's age.
That's really big of you to open up about your self reflection.

And to your point about being hypocritical......

Old
06-23-2012, 04:37 PM
kushh

to Philly - Luke Schenn & Clarke Macarthur
to Toronto - Ilya Bryzgalov

to Philly - Roberto Luongo
to Vancouver - Jacub Voracek & Tye Mcginn

Toronto gets a goalie with only 8 years left on his deal compared to Luongo's god awful 10 years left..(apparently cap circumvention is a term Leaf fans cant grasp)

Philly gets a Clarke and a brother Schenn to plug into the lineup now without giving up JVR, Couturier or Brayden..

Vancouver gets a Halak type package without taking on a bad contract. Voracek is the perfect compliment to Kesler and the saving allow us to sign a Hudler type.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
There's more evidence of Tallon being interested than there is evidence of Florida being unwilling to take Luongo's contract. There's also this, a local Vancouver journalist who is generally quite accurate

Tallon: ya, we did talk to Vancouver about goaltending

http://twitter.com/#!/botchford

Florida taking Luongo at a bargain is different from Florida not being able to take him at all due to his contract.

Of course Florida, and Toronto, and probably a few others want Luongo at a bargain. Gillis is not trading him for a bargain however, and will patiently wait until the right trade comes along.

I think there is far less pressure than others are stating to make a deal, there wasn't a rift in the locker room, nor was Luongo disgruntled. It's all been pretty low-key and stress free thus far.
`

Well if Tallon's plan continues to be a transition to Markstrom in the short term I don't see Luongo wanting to be a back up in a couple years and I don't see Florida wanting to pay him big bucks to be one either. Again, I'm just saying IMO, the Leafs are the clear, logical destination and I don't think the Canucks will get what they or the fans wanted. Especially the fans.

I agree about the locker room itself but in this market, it would be a significant distraction and if they started the year poorly, watch out because you'll have the Gallagher's of the world salivating. Not the ideal situation and once that happens, the price could really go down especially if the Leafs, as an example, start like they did this year.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Skead

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Breaking News!!!! Toronto trades Luke Schenn to Flyers for James Van RiemsDyk. Done deal. #TSN

If Toronto wants Luongo still it will be without Schenn... I must admit, Burke won that one IMO.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

JVR for Luongo

Old
06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
keslerburrows

JvR for Luongo now just wait.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 377
Quote:
Not willing to give up top prospects confirmed by Tallon himself @3:30

http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videoc...ed-share-video

Old
06-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Well if Tallon's plan continues to be a transition to Markstrom in the short term I don't see Luongo wanting to be a back up in a couple years and I don't see Florida wanting to pay him big bucks to be one either. Again, I'm just saying IMO, the Leafs are the clear, logical destination and I don't think the Canucks will get what they or the fans wanted. Especially the fans.
Actually if you look at the Florida situation more closely you'll see why it's the more logical of the two destinations. Markstrom is 4 years younger than Schneider is now. It's taken this long for Schneider to finally become a starting goaltender, and that has been somewhat due to the tutelage and example set by Roberto. So he's in a perfect position to mentor Markstrom, and this would fit nicely with Florida's timeline. They signed a lot of players last year to 4 year deals.

After those 4 years are up, perhaps Luongo will be an expensive 1B for a year, but you deal with that when you get to it. The last year or two won't be a huge deal, I think the current Jovo contract is worse now than Luongo's will be in four years.

Furthermore Florida has an abundance of prospects and even a few roster players they can afford to move. Unlike Toronto, which has to restock their cupboard. At the moment Florida is unwilling to move what Vancouver wants, but I think it's only a matter of time before they find a middle ground. Will it be disappointing to one of the two fanbases? Probably, but trades usually are. Maybe something like Upshall, a decent prospect (hoping for Bjugstad but probably not) and the rights to Garrison.

Far prefer that to any of the Leafs packages I've seen.

Quote:
I agree about the locker room itself but in this market, it would be a significant distraction and if they started the year poorly, watch out because you'll have the Gallagher's of the world salivating. Not the ideal situation and once that happens, the price could really go down especially if the Leafs, as an example, start like they did this year.
Sure. Could happen, but given how professional both Schneider and Luongo are, I doubt it will be the festering issue that other fanbases are stating it will be.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Henrik To Daniel

At least we won't have to deal with Schenn being included in every Luongo proposal now that he has been traded to Philly

Old
06-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Not willing to give up top prospects confirmed by Tallon himself @3:30

http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videoc...ed-share-video
Bigger story in that, for me, is his quote on Garrison...

Reporter: "Are you optimistic about Garrison?
Talon: " ... We are trying! We are trying, it's a matter if we can afford it or not."

Think Garrison is headed to UFA...

Old
06-23-2012, 05:02 PM
leafsfan2

so does this mean schenn wasn't offered for Luo?

Old
06-23-2012, 05:04 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan2 View Post
so does this mean schenn wasn't offered for Luo?
Apparently he was, but Gillis didn't want him.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Leaf fan0o View Post
Apparently he was, but Gillis didn't want him.
Schenn is a great prospect, and I believe he was offered, but I don't think he's a fit for the Canucks. I have a feeling Gillis is really adamant on Gardiner offering Luo, but will step up to Luo+ or even Luo++.

Again this is pure guess and speculation.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:07 PM
AlmightyPO

Would Nuck fans do JVR for Luongo?

Old
06-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Sure let's just throw more religious guys on the team, him Booth, Hamhuis, will all get along famously haha.

But seriously; it's way more tempting than Schenn... but dat hit cap... 4.25...

Old
06-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Habitat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
yes.

Closed Thread