HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings re-sign Jarret Stoll for 3 years, 9.75 million (3.25m cap hit)

Old
06-22-2012, 08:35 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I love it!!! Stoll is an elite 3rd center and fits this team perfectly. Takes a discount to stay. This is really a TEAM. Add this to Fraser resigning and deciding to go a different route with the offensive assistant coach position and this has been a great day for the Kings, in my opinion.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:56 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Stoll will be having another pool party soon me thinks.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
deeshamrock

Stoll wanted to stay and it's great for the team. DL said this was the closest team he'd ever been associated with and I think he doesn't want to spoil that mojo. Stoll is a good player, great faceoff and PK'er and seems to have begun to build someting with King and Lewis.
This team is close and that bodes well for the future, players that like each other will play hard for each other.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
That is about what I thought Stoll would get. Good deal for Dean and Stoll. Three years gives the Kings time to develop LOKI or find Stoll's replacement.
Fraser is a young guy, maybe he's the one.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Whiskeypete

good re-sign by DL. months ago i was in favor of not bringing Stoll or Penner back. Stoll kicked it up quite a few notches. here is hoping he continues to find success the way he did the latter part of the season and the playoffs. he is obviously a vital character guy within the locker room and on the ice. as DB tweeted, he's a glue guy which is absolutely key to a team. LA for at least two years is in very good shape down the center with 11-10-28-24. now Lokti needs to buckle down in MAN and take it up a few steps, realizing he is playing to take up Stoll's role in a few years. of that DL will move him to a team so he earn a chance there. that is what solid and good org's do for players when they've earned it

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I'm not expecting him to be a 20-goal scorer again, but no more atrocious regular season, please. I want 15 goals out of him per year.
This is an important point, not just with Stoll, but with players like Drew, Richards, Carter and Penner....

I would say these guys cruised thru the regular season.

No excuses for another 8th finish again.

Be ready.

Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Rusty Batch

Well I was hoping we wouldnt resign Stoll. I would have liked to have seen us roll with three premier centers. And I think the cap hit could have been better spent elsewhere .

However I also realize that Lombardi and co are a lot smarter then me. I'm really pulling for this third line to be successful this season.

Maybe I can at least see Carter paired with Kopi? Ill hold out hope for that, but I don't really care this team is loaded any way you slice it.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:18 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
Well I was hoping we wouldnt resign Stoll. I would have liked to have seen us roll with three premier centers. And I think the cap hit could have been better spent elsewhere .

However I also realize that Lombardi and co are a lot smarter then me. I'm really pulling for this third line to be successful this season.

Maybe I can at least see Carter paired with Kopi? Ill hold out hope for that, but I don't really care this team is loaded any way you slice it.
i think these are three premier centers. Stoll has to be among the best 3rd line centers in the league. As is Richards the best 2nd line center and Kopitar 1st.

but what I think about is how so many teams have so much cap space this year. We pretty much have a whole team signed up and we're 11 from the cap. This FA market is going to be crazy even though the talent is not that great.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Depends on which Stoll shows up for the next three years.

The one who was the worst player on the team in the regular season or the one who looked really impressive in the playoffs.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:10 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Happy Birthday Herby!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:02 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

The one who was the worst player on the team in the regular season or the one who looked really impressive in the playoffs.
QFT and we cant expect another playoff run like this year either.

Stoll worked very hard, great face off man, one of the most physical players on this team. Yet his offense has vanished, also in the playoffs.

When Stoll is having another atrocious regular season again and the Kings will have a short playoffs than Stoll will quickly become the whipping boy of this team. Lets face it.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:

1. Stoll is a premiere THIRD LINE center.
2. I still do not understand how some of you want Mike Richards or Jeff Carter centering the THIRD LINE.

Kopitar
Richards
Stoll
Fraser

is one hell of a lineup down the middle. I mean, ****, it even has proven results....

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

I will say this; some of you people rely too heavily on your daily reading of the stat sheet

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:49 AM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
I will say this; some of you people rely too heavily on your daily reading of the stat sheet
Not only that, to use last year of all years as the barometer when it's likely the outlier for most players on our team because of the Murray factor, probably isn't wise.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:50 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

Stoll has earned a shot to prove people wrong; he played his best hockey when it mattered. If he puts up 10 to 15 G and 30 to 40 points, plays his game. I don't see how anyone could be upset with that.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Stoll has earned a shot to prove people wrong; he played his best hockey when it mattered. If he puts up 10 to 15 G and 30 to 40 points, plays his game. I don't see how anyone could be upset with that.
I agree. But remember the same thing was said going into last year and he stunk.

I also agree about the fact that he earned the right, but that is why I would have rather gone 1 or 2 years to get a better feel of what kind of player he will be. If Stoll plays like he did in the playoffs I have no problem with the deal, if he plays like he did in the regular season it's not a good deal. We will find out.

Oh and @hatter, only judge players by stats? Get out of here with that crap. Stoll's stats were really no better in the playoffs than they were in the regular season, but I think everyone will agree he was a much better player. Stoll was pitiful in the regular season, and no one needs to look at a stat sheet to know that.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
1. Stoll is a premiere THIRD LINE center.
2. I still do not understand how some of you want Mike Richards or Jeff Carter centering the THIRD LINE.

Kopitar
Richards
Stoll
Fraser

is one hell of a lineup down the middle. I mean, ****, it even has proven results....
1.) i dont remember ever saying premier "third line" center. I was hoping we would go with three "premier" centers. Big diffrence. Certainly other teams have done this with great success offeniveley. Pittsburgh, Boston, Vancouver, Philly etc..

2.) I dont understand why some of you get caught up on the "third line" aspect. For exampe if Richards was centering that line he would still get a ton of minutes. And it would just make oppoents have a very difficult time matching up with us. It's not like Richards would be playing 15 minutes a game.
I cant see how having 3 great centers playing their natural positions would hurt us.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Carter looked just fine playing wing with Mike Richards. If you spread them apart, it is going to be tougher to find wings to slot with Carter and with Richards that are going to be capable of scoring. Carter's abilities translate better as a wing than a center. He's a shooter, not a playmaker and he's admitted that he has a shoot first mentality. Shut it already with this idea. Carter is staying on RW whether you like it or not.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

I like this deal. Looks like we will have almost the same team as last year.

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
1.) i dont remember ever saying premier "third line" center. I was hoping we would go with three "premier" centers. Big diffrence. Certainly other teams have done this with great success offeniveley. Pittsburgh, Boston, Vancouver, Philly etc..

2.) I dont understand why some of you get caught up on the "third line" aspect. For exampe if Richards was centering that line he would still get a ton of minutes. And it would just make oppoents have a very difficult time matching up with us. It's not like Richards would be playing 15 minutes a game.
I cant see how having 3 great centers playing their natural positions would hurt us.
The Kings just won the Stanley Cup, went 16-4 in the playoffs and 29-9-3 since acquiring Carter (and playing him on the wing). Now you want to weaken the wing so that Carter and Richards can play center?

Kopitar
Richards
Stoll
Fraser

That is one of the best group of 4 centers in the NHL and they are all signed long term. The Kings also have Carter and Lewis available to fill in for injuries at center. Richardson and Loktionov could also fill in at center.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
That is one of the best group of 4 centers in the NHL and they are all signed long term. The Kings also have Carter and Lewis available to fill in for injuries at center. Richardson and Loktionov could also fill in at center.
This is really key to me. The Kings have several natural centers playing wing who can slide to center if needed, in addition to a stellar top 4. That is insane depth at a most critical position.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
This is really key to me. The Kings have several natural centers playing wing who can slide to center if needed, in addition to a stellar top 4. That is insane depth at a most critical position.
Exactly. And this isn't by accident. Ask Dean what his priorities are and it's goaltender, defense, centers. What the heck do we have an abundance of? Goaltenders, defensemen and centers. You can usually move a center to wing, you can rarely move a winger to center.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:54 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Stoll spent most of his playing career with the Kings (and most of this season) in something other than a 3rd line center role. He played far better when he was put in a role that best suited him.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Exactly. And this isn't by accident. Ask Dean what his priorities are and it's goaltender, defense, centers. What the heck do we have an abundance of? Goaltenders, defensemen and centers. You can usually move a center to wing, you can rarely move a winger to center.
Even Nolan is listed as center. Speaking of Nolan... Happy 23rd Birthday!

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Carter looked just fine playing wing with Mike Richards. If you spread them apart, it is going to be tougher to find wings to slot with Carter and with Richards that are going to be capable of scoring. Carter's abilities translate better as a wing than a center. He's a shooter, not a playmaker and he's admitted that he has a shoot first mentality. Shut it already with this idea. Carter is staying on RW whether you like it or not.
thats where i disagree.

brown, williams, gagne, penner, king, lewis, clifford, nolan.

the wings are here