HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake McCabe, Defense – 44th Overall, 2012

Old
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Not quite the offense of Campbell and I'd say he'll be much better defensively.
Sekera-esque?

I'd be down with that.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:35 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Sekera-esque?

I'd be down with that.
I don't know too much about him other than things I read leading up to the draft (didn't catch much college hockey).

Stylistically, I don't like the Sekera comparison (based on what I've read). But in terms of two-way play, I think that may be accurate.

Let's hope McDonagh is a closer parallel.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
He isn't related to Bryan McCabe, is he? God, I hope not.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

I like the pick. A lot.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:10 PM
gallagt01

I loved the interview he gave after he was drafted. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and is very, very mature.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
I like the pick. A lot.

I had said that in the OT in case you didn't visit this thread. I knew you would.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:15 PM
gallagt01

On Ron Rolston coaching him in Ann Arbor:

Quote:
"He was my coach for two years in Ann Arbor for the National Development Program. Great guy. One of the biggest things for me was each and every day he taught us how to be a pro. If you present yourself like a pro you'll play like a pro. Eventually it will translate. Not just in your hockey life but your social life and how you carry yourself. He's a great guy and I can't say anything bad about him."

Old
06-24-2012, 12:33 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
On Ron Rolston coaching him in Ann Arbor:
So what your saying is it royally blows that Rolston wasn't in charge when the "Rochester" core played in the A.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:10 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...l-entry-draft/

Quote:
D Jake McCabe — 44th overall, Buffalo Sabres — McCabe has come so far in his development over the last three years and I’m guessing the Sabres had a good handle on that. Buffalo’s AHL coach is Ron Rolston, who was McCabe’s coach at the NTDP. This guy came a long way under the guidance of Rolston and his assistant coach Chadd Cassidy (also with the Amerks). McCabe was my No. 9-rated American for the Draft. His offensive game has improved, to go along with an already steady defensive mindset. He can play physical brand of hockey, but is responsible about it. He can get a little better with his feet, but like most of his game, that has come a long way too.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:15 AM
heartsabres*

Not happy with this pick he was ranked like 60th.....a lot of good players passed over for him and I dont care that he is playing for Wisconsin to me defence is not a priority. Frk, Sissons, Thrower, Winther and Bozon were all available.

Last edited by heartsabres*: 06-24-2012 at 06:36 AM.
heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Not happy with this pick he was ranked like 60th.....a lot of good players passed over for him and I dont care that he is playing for Wisconsin to me defence is not a priority.
I don't care about rankings at a spot like this, but I personally wanted Dalton Thrower here; that guy's a fireball. But I'm no prospect guru and the Darcy-Devine duo have really nailed their picks in the first 3 rounds so far, so I'm not going to second-guess so early.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Not happy with this pick he was ranked like 60th.....a lot of good players passed over for him and I dont care that he is playing for Wisconsin to me defence is not a priority. Frk, Sissons, Thrower, Winther and Bozon were all available.
Devine said they had McCabe rated as a first round pick. And in that same interview in sounded like they wanted to go forward (see Center) again but McCabe was too highly rated by them to pass up.

After the first round that we had and with Ennis and Hodgson currently young players on the roster I think its fine they added to the defense here, especially someone they are so fond of.

Not to mention they went C three more times after that(5 total) and McCabe could help us recruit Schultz from Wisconsin.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:55 AM
heartsabres*

From what I have read Schultz is not on the sabres radar and McCabe is 3 years away from being a sabre dont see how it helps.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Digable5

Quote:
From what I have read Schultz is not on the sabres radar and McCabe is 3 years away from being a sabre dont see how it helps.
I haven't read that, but they also said Russians weren't on their radar before the draft.

McCabe may not have any influence but it doesn't hurt. That's definitely not something they considered when drafting him but I'm just trying to add reasons why to like the pick. On top of all of the other reasons I stated he could also potentially help our position IF we decided to make a bid for Schultz.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Devine said they had McCabe rated as a first round pick. And in that same interview in sounded like they wanted to go forward (see Center) again but McCabe was too highly rated by them to pass up.
As a McCabe fan, do you have a link to that interview?

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...=668&id=182712
This should be it. Kevin Devine is the Sabres head scout.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|BUF|home

I think this link will only take you to the Sabres video vault. The video is the Devine Post-Draft Interview. He talks about McCabe at the beginning.

EDIT: Talks about McCabe more after the draft overview.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...=668&id=182712
This should be it. Kevin Devine is the Sabres head scout.
Thanks, RP!

Old
06-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Everything's been in the OP, including that quote and links to Devine's and McCabe's interviews. You guys had me thinking I didn't hit the submit button on one of the many edits I made yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post

Kevin Devine (Buffalo Sabres)

“We actually McCabe rated at the end of the first round. We weren’t sure if we were going to get a forward or defense, but he was too
high up on our board. He played for (Rochester head coach) Ron Rolston before, so we know about his character.”
However, I did notice that I overlooked Button's analysis of McCabe, so that has been added this morning:
Quote:

Craig Button (TSN)

"Jake is more of a defending type player but may be able to contribute a measure of offense in time because he has no hesitation in
jumping into the play and trying to make a difference offensively. His skating base is decent but his agility and quickness will have to
improve to be able to have success at the NHL level. He competes and plays a determined style of game but he doesn't possess a
punishing aspect to his game or one that gets the attention of opponents and can keep them off balance. Without an improvement in
his skating, he will find himself off balance and challenged vs. speed and in a quick pace. He has good sense and makes plays with the
puck that are solid and safe. He isn't hesitant to try to initiate things with the puck but his game is defensive positioning and trying to
make it challenging for opponents to get scoring chances. Has time to improve and there isn't any major drawback that indicates he
can't improve."

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Everything's been in the OP, including that quote and links to Devine's and McCabe's interviews. You guys had me thinking I didn't hit the submit button on one of the many edits I made yesterday. However, I did notice that I overlooked Button's analysis of McCabe, so that has been added this morning:
Sorry, Woodhouse. I forget how awesome you are sometimes.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
A good way for defense to become a problem, IMO, is to stop prioritizing it.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:47 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
I don't care about rankings at a spot like this, but I personally wanted Dalton Thrower here; that guy's a fireball. But I'm no prospect guru and the Darcy-Devine duo have really nailed their picks in the first 3 rounds so far, so I'm not going to second-guess so early.
Right with you on Thrower....I think hes better. I mentioned that earlier on this thread, but he has a chance.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:11 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:
If you're expecting immediate relief from 2nd round picks, you need to readjust your expectations.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
The only rankings I care about are the Sabres' rankings, and they had him ranked as a 1st rounder.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I like that while they addressed a team-wide weakness, they aren't forgetting to keep adding quality into current areas of moderate strength. By the time he's ready, the glut of d-prospects already in the pipe will have passed through. They'll need people to feed into the system.

Quote:
Thrower's issue is that he should be called Catcher. The dude is the Matt Barnaby of defensemen -- he'll scrap, but the kid eats more knuckles than Rocky.