HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread IV (June 22-23)

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Ludicrous Speed

vCash: 500
All in all I'm pleased. Would have liked Bozon at 62, but when they announced it was Korpisalo I was at least relieved that it wasn't a defenseman, 'cause we have enough "potentially good" defensive prospects that we've taken around there. And we can't miss on both Dansk and Korpi, right?

Anderson seems like a guy who could make some noise next year. It's a gamble, but seems like he has a good head. From what JFW posted about Zaar he could be a good find. Gianluca Curcuruto at least has a cool name too lol.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Ludicrous Speed

And Ebert goes last. Was thought of as a top 10 pick this time last year. Pretty crazy stuff.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:53 AM
FlaggerX

Looks like a guy with top tier potential but a lot of risk. Probably a good guy to draft last, because at least he's a swing for the fences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post

Old
06-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
detroit just keeps adding skill players... me -> jealous
Carolina killed this draft.

Getting a Norris Trophy winner in the 4th round. Where was every other GM?

06-23-2012, 11:59 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I've been out for an hour and half, did Ebert go? EDIT: N/m

And as I puruse our draft, I think the goal is to start to build with defense and goaltending and flip some developed pieces for forward pieces.

Sort of like Nashville.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Chris Roberts
Hockey's Future Staff

I think it was pretty obvious the club were going to select a couple of goalies. And with Murray, I like their first three picks in that regard. That said, I really think they gave up a bit much for Bobrovsky, and could have used the added picks in the draft. I'm not sold on the fact he can become a starting goaltender, but I see what GMSH was going for, attempting to both bring in another potential starter and light a bit of a fire under Steve Mason.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:09 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Roberts View Post
I think it was pretty obvious the club were going to select a couple of goalies. And with Murray, I like their first three picks in that regard. That said, I really think they gave up a bit much for Bobrovsky, and could have used the added picks in the draft. I'm not sold on the fact he can become a starting goaltender, but I see what GMSH was going for, attempting to both bring in another potential starter and light a bit of a fire under Steve Mason.
I hope Howson isn't done on the goaltender front... Mason has one year left on his deal and I don't expect him to be resigned at all, A great season from this year would only muddle the situation in net next offseason.

If a deal can be had, its addition by subtraction as far as Mason is concerned, just make sure you have another guy in place before hand.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Carolina killed this draft.

Getting a Norris Trophy winner in the 4th round. Where was every other GM?
Nashville did well for themselves and broke with their history by going with all forwards in the early rounds. Which makes you think they may just keep that defense intact.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
draft strategy revealed

Last year's #CBJ 7th round pick, Lukas Sedlak, born Feb. 25, 1993. This year's 7th round pick, Gianluck Curcuruto, born Feb. 25, 1994. #CBJ
Sedlak is turning out to be a very nice pick. It may be a lucky date.

Next year's 7th round pick, should be Swiss defenseman Tim Grossniklaus, who was born on Feb 25 1995.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93224

Old
06-23-2012, 12:35 PM
EDM

Wasn't Dekanich supposed to light a fire under Steve Mason's arse last year? I find it incredible that Howson et al. would even consider allowing Mason in the locker room this year. Enough all ready !!!

Old
06-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Jimmys7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I hope Howson isn't done on the goaltender front... Mason has one year left on his deal and I don't expect him to be resigned at all, A great season from this year would only muddle the situation in net next offseason.

If a deal can be had, its addition by subtraction as far as Mason is concerned, just make sure you have another guy in place before hand.

I also hope we aren't done on the goalie front, but as far as Mason goes, I really don't see a reason to wait for his replacement to get rid of him. If anyone wants to trade for Mase and his salary, go for it. No need to wait on getting his replacement. It really shouldn't be hard to replace what Mase has been bringing to the table the last few seasons.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
JacketsFanWest

So, the Wisniewski trade (for a conditional 5th round pick) ended up to be Montreal drafting Charles Hudon, whose been a clutch goal scorer for Chicoutimi. Happy to see him go to the Canadiens, but would have liked the Jackets to have gotten him.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:53 PM
slightlystewpid420

The thinking that trading for a goalie to inspire mason or light a fire under him is the completely wrong approach. I like bobvrosky, but as our soon to be #1 I dont see mase trying any harder because of bobvrosky.. as a goalie usually when yiu try harder you end up ****ing up more. Now if mason starts training his ass off and works hard and smart when hes .ot on the ice, then and only then will we see a similiar mason we saw a few years ago.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:57 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
So, the Wisniewski trade (for a conditional 5th round pick) ended up to be Montreal drafting Charles Hudon, whose been a clutch goal scorer for Chicoutimi. Happy to see him go to the Canadiens, but would have liked the Jackets to have gotten him.
I'll take Wiz. We need guys like him to rebuild the culture.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
draft strategy revealed

Last year's #CBJ 7th round pick, Lukas Sedlak, born Feb. 25, 1993. This year's 7th round pick, Gianluck Curcuruto, born Feb. 25, 1994. #CBJ
Huh, that's my wife's birthday.

Wait, no it's not. Looks like I'm never getting laid again.

Anyway...

I was hoping for one of Curcuruto or Matia Marcantuoni this year, and Rocco Grimaldi last year. If nothing else, it would make the commentary in four years wildly entertaining.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:18 PM
JrussJacket

Looks like Josh Anderson has some offensive skills guys! Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQNGDYPE3nk

Damn! And fight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ec6m...eature=related

Old
06-23-2012, 01:31 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrussJacket View Post
Looks like Josh Anderson has some offensive skills guys! Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQNGDYPE3nk

Damn! And fight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ec6m...eature=related
And that is on the fourth line. He is gonna be a good player. Its speculated that he will get to play on the power play now that alot of the older kids will be moving on.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:33 PM
JrussJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
And that is on the fourth line. He is gonna be a good player. Its speculated that he will get to play on the power play now that alot of the older kids will be moving on.
Cool man! So is he gonna start next season on wing/center or defense? Nobody seems to know what position he plays?

Old
06-23-2012, 01:37 PM
JrussJacket

Here another clip, with Dale Hunter talking about him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3dRy...eature=related

Old
06-23-2012, 02:07 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Huh, that's my wife's birthday.

Wait, no it's not. Looks like I'm never getting laid again.

Anyway...

I was hoping for one of Curcuruto or Matia Marcantuoni this year, and Rocco Grimaldi last year. If nothing else, it would make the commentary in four years wildly entertaining.
Rimer's quaking in his boots

Old
06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Sedlak is turning out to be a very nice pick. It may be a lucky date.

Next year's 7th round pick, should be Swiss defenseman Tim Grossniklaus, who was born on Feb 25 1995.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93224
His name means "Big Nick"... we need this guy

Old
06-23-2012, 03:46 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Decent Draft. Loved the two goalie picks, especially Dansk. Anderson and Zaar are OK, I can live with them and hope to see develop well but im not crazy about them. The crazy defenseman's name I liked the pick because he was thought of as a 1st rounder earlier in the year, and at 7th round why not take a chance? We needed offense, but we didn't get it. But im fine with that since we're probably getting another top 5 next year. Build up the goalies, and defense.

If only we could change pick #2.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
His name means "Big Nick"... we need this guy
I will think of him while shaving.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Brock

Some info on Anderson and Curcuruto.

I had Anderson as the 29th rated OHL player for the draft. And Curcuruto 41st. Here's what I wrote about them.

Back to back Knights on the list, and another one of the team's young unsung heroes this year. Anderson is a great story; a kid who was never drafted and walked onto the Knights this year. His success comes from how hard he works on the ice. He never gives up on a play and is really fun to watch in the offensive zone. He just never stops moving and is in on everything. He'll go from forcing a turnover on the forecheck, to working the cycle, to cutting to the net hard for a pass or rebound. Anderson just loves to get his nose dirty. Much like teammate Chris Tierney, I wouldn't call Anderson an overtly physical player, but more a high energy guy who'll outwork and hustle you for a loose puck, rather than outmuscle you for it. If anything, I think that points to a high IQ on the ice, as he gets himself in the right position and reads the play well. Anderson has good hands in close to the net too and could be a solid net presence with some more strength. One of the biggest next steps for him will be the continued progression of his overall game. I'd love to see him channel that energy to a strong defensive game too. After playing in his first OHL season, I'm really curious to see where an offseason of conditioning will put him. A lot of scouts seem to think he's got a lot of potential.

I really liked Curcuruto in his 16 year old season, and felt like he had the potential to be an NHL first round pick. But few players in this OHL crop had worse seasons than Curcuruto. It was the lack of progression of several of the Hounds players that really contributed to their disappointing season. His offensive numbers regressed significantly, and he looked a lot more tentative to take chances with the puck. He has previously shown an ability to rush the puck and quarterback the powerplay well, but these areas were not strengths this year. His confidence offensively looked quite poor, as he even became prone to some bad turnovers in his own end. Defensively, he looked OK, but didn't take any steps forward in his ability to physically intimidate the opposition. I also felt like he lacked chemistry with any of his defensive partners, and as such was the victim of shoddy defensive zone coverage in certain instances. Now there is still a lot of potential here, as he had shown in his rookie season. My only concern is him falling behind on the depth chart in the Soo. Is he going to get more powerplay ice time next year with Ryan Sproul and Colin Miller returning, as well as the inevitable improvement of Darnell Nurse?

Old
06-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow

Keep the rest of the talk in the draft grade thread.

Closed Thread