HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Morgan Rielly

Old
06-22-2012, 09:27 PM
robdicks

vCash: 500
Morgan Rielly

Over on the Leafs' board everyone is saying he has elite offensive potential. I trust you guys a little more because you watch him play.

NHL fans seem to just look at stats sheets and watch some youtube videos and get really excited. How is his defensive game? Does he have Norris Candidate potential? Is he a good player with a high percentage chance of making his potential? Just anything you know about him really would be appreciated. Thanks.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Norris Potential? Maybe not. Rielly is a very dynamic offensive defenseman, think of an Erik Karlsson style of play, good with breakouts and moving the puck. His defensive play gets him by, and over time his defense will get better, allthough I think everyone will still knock on him for his defensive play.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:44 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
Norris Potential? Maybe not. Rielly is a very dynamic offensive defenseman, think of an Erik Karlsson style of play, good with breakouts and moving the puck. His defensive play gets him by, and over time his defense will get better, allthough I think everyone will still knock on him for his defensive play.
I have heard a Karlsson comparison a few times now. Karlsson DID just win the Norris. That's why I don't really lik the NHL comparisons because they tend to just focus on style of play.

So would I be accurate to say Rielly is a PMD right now, but if he develops his defensive game he could become a star in the league?

If he doesn't improve his defensive game, he will probably be at best a PPQB?

Edit: BTW thanks for the reply.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Way too early to know if he has Norris potential, but time will tell.

He's a great player, but don't let Burke's pimping of him fool you.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
Way too early to know if he has Norris potential, but time will tell.

He's a great player, but don't let Burke's pimping of him fool you.
Yes, Burkie deffinately overhyped him, which is gunna cause for high expectations from him. I think it will take Morgan a few seasons to really find his groove in the NHL, but once he does I think he wont leave Toronto's Top-4 on D. If he can improve his defensive game, he could fit in well with Phaneuf on the top pair.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Yes, Burkie deffinately overhyped him, which is gunna cause for high expectations from him. I think it will take Morgan a few seasons to really find his groove in the NHL, but once he does I think he wont leave Toronto's Top-4 on D. If he can improve his defensive game, he could fit in well with Phaneuf on the top pair.
That is good to hear.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
#3 - Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors - LD -

Rielly is a solid puck moving defenceman who was showing great growth defensively before suffering a serious knee injury in early November. Came back from injury without missing much of a step. Skates very well, is a great passer and reads the play well above average compared to his peers, excellent hockey sense. Likes to join the rush and has shown a steady growth in defensive play, despite missing almost all season with his serious injury. Doesn't have the hardest shot, but he knows how to use it effectively. Will turn heads at an NHL training camp and is a good candidate to make the jump to the NHL after one more year of junior. Likely a top 12 choice, but I would rank him higher than that, personally speaking.

NHL Style Comparable: Duncan Keith

Top End Potential: #2 Defenceman, PP Quarterback

Pick Prediction: 10-12th Overall
http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/se...organ%20Rielly

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Rielly is a high end, offensive defenseman whose hockey IQ is equal to his great skating ability. Showed very good strength at the Combine. Great player coming out of the Notre Dame midget program.

Elite player who held a top 5 pick while injured. Would have been in discussion with Ryan Murray and Griffen Reinhart had he been healthy. However Burke should learn to keep his mouth shut. No need to hype him as their projected first overall ranked prospect.

This kid will be a very talented NHL blueliner. But he's essentially lost a year of development. Watch for him to excel in Moose Jaw and be part of a very good Team Canada defense. Like him a lot.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:34 AM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I definately agree with the Keith comparison. That's what I got out of him too.

I think the things I take away from Rielly are that he's:
- more skilled than he is physical.
- an excellent breakout pass
- a great skater
- a bit of a risk because of that lost year of development
- probably not Norris quality, but still could be a fixture on the blue line for years if he develops well
- probably going to be limited by his defensive play as his top end potential. The better it gets, the higher he climbs on the team's organizational chart.
- going to need a little time to recover his lost development.

I consider him a top 5 pick if I were a GM though I have the Yzerman mentality of "Injury? What injury?".

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:33 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

He's in Victoria with the Warriors November 27th. And potentially with the all stars earlier in the month. I'm excited to see him play live. His defensive game is being underrated by a lot of people. The kid is an overall talent, who just happens to overshadow his defensive game because he is so elite offensively. Best overall talent in the Leafs org, and the best they've had in a long, long time.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:11 AM
diceman934

I have seen Morgan play a lot and his upside is through the roof. His low side is a top pairing D-man.

Norris potential.....very much so.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I have seen Morgan play a lot and his upside is through the roof. His low side is a top pairing D-man.

Norris potential.....very much so.
His down side is definitely not a top pairing D-Man, that is his top side.

This hype is getting ridiculous.

Old
09-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Keep it friendly, please.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy and Abed View Post
His down side is definitely not a top pairing D-Man, that is his top side.

This hype is getting ridiculous.
It is my opinion after watching him play well over 125 games in the last 4 years. I also spoke about him on the Leaf forum long before he was drafted....so it is not hype but my opinion. His low side is a top pairing offensive D-man.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
It is my opinion after watching him play well over 125 games in the last 4 years. I also spoke about him on the Leaf forum long before he was drafted....so it is not hype but my opinion. His low side is a top pairing offensive D-man.
I respect that its your opinion, but do you realize how ridiculous it is that you are saying his low side is a top pairing offensive D-man IN THE NHL?

Please, just think about it for more than 2 seconds.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:55 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Keep it friendly, please.
That was friendly. I could have said a lot worse.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:42 PM
diceman934

Quote:
I respect that its your opinion, but do you realize how ridiculous it is that you are saying his low side is a top pairing offensive D-man IN THE NHL?

Please, just think about it for more than 2 seconds.
Well I have thought about it.....hence my opinion. He is a can't miss player and his upside is huge. He will be at a minimum a top pairing D man. His ceiling goes up from their.

How much have you watched him play? My guess is not much at all.

Old
09-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Well I have thought about it.....hence my opinion. He is a can't miss player and his upside is huge. He will be at a minimum a top pairing D man. His ceiling goes up from their.

Honestly, you can't ever say that his absolute minimum is a top pairing D man. What if he gets injured? What if he cannot adapt to the NHL? What if Toronto's depth on defence doesn't allow him to blossom into a top pairing d-man?

Ovechkin (bad example but still gets my point accross) was projected as a first line superstar, which he was for a while, but right now is when he should theoretically be hitting his peak, yet he is producing like an average first liner.

Seriously, if Rielly is guaranteed to be a first pairing defenseman in the NHL, why did he not go first overall? Why did he end up going 5th overall? Why was he the 3rd defenseman picked in the draft? Why was he not even rated close to the 1st overall pick prior to the draft?

I'm sick of this over hyping.

He is gonna be an incredible defenseman, but in no way in hell is his absolute minimum a top pairing defenseman.

Old
09-29-2012, 05:10 PM
mjw22

burke always sells his picks like they are going to star right out of junior. look at kadri . Morgan has played 1 season as a 16 yr old 18 games plus 1 round in the play offs as a 17 yr old . I'm a season ticket holder who watches him every night. offensive upside is off the chart defensively above average hockey IQ way above average. a great passer not a really great shot and sometimes has trouble with bigger forwards. watching other players in the league in the past I think he is in the NHl as a 20 yr old any sooner and Burke will ruin his development.Once there a ppg top 4 dman

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:48 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
burke always sells his picks like they are going to star right out of junior. look at kadri . Morgan has played 1 season as a 16 yr old 18 games plus 1 round in the play offs as a 17 yr old . I'm a season ticket holder who watches him every night. offensive upside is off the chart defensively above average hockey IQ way above average. a great passer not a really great shot and sometimes has trouble with bigger forwards. watching other players in the league in the past I think he is in the NHl as a 20 yr old any sooner and Burke will ruin his development.Once there a ppg top 4 dman
Burke never touted Kadri as being a star right out of junior.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:05 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:

With all due respect, nobody is at minimum "a top pairing D man". Bryan Fogarty broke all of Bobby Orr's records, was CHL player of the year and ended up playing more games in the AHL than the NHL. I respect how much you've seen him play, but Fogarty teaches us that nobody is can't miss.

I would also suggest the fact that he's been drafted by the Leafs will also likely hurt his development. He will likely be rushed like every other Leaf prospect and hyped beyond belief until the pressure becomes unfathomable. The best predictor of the future is the past. Unless you've lived in the GTA it's hard to understand the crazy pressure of the fan base. It's ludicrous, really...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:05 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I'd project him as a top pairing, puck moving, two way defenseman. But, I'd also caution against guaranteeing that. Leafs fans should be cautiously optimistic.
I hate the Leafs, but I absolutely agree that he projects to be just that, a top pairing, puck moving, two way defenseman. Exactly what you build your defense around.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
With all due respect, nobody is at minimum "a top pairing D man". Bryan Fogarty broke all of Bobby Orr's records, was CHL player of the year and ended up playing more games in the AHL than the NHL. I respect how much you've seen him play, but Fogarty teaches us that nobody is can't miss.

I would also suggest the fact that he's been drafted by the Leafs will also likely hurt his development. He will likely be rushed like every other Leaf prospect and hyped beyond belief until the pressure becomes unfathomable. The best predictor of the future is the past. Unless you've lived in the GTA it's hard to understand the crazy pressure of the fan base. It's ludicrous, really...
Brian Fogarty?? He is the English Canadian version of Alexandre Daigle...
Your statement is such a blanketed comment, so is it also fair to say that Van is a goalie graveyard? Also the fanbase in TO has NO bearing on what the team does with/to players, but I'd have thought that you'd know that after all you talk as if you were born, raised and grew up in Toronto.

Quote:
I hate the Leafs, but I absolutely agree that he projects to be just that, a top pairing, puck moving, two way defenseman. Exactly what you build your defense around.
Who cares about your subjectivity?? We are discussing about a player not the team who drafted him. I've lived out West for 11 years now and TBH my general consensus is; for a bunch of people who claim to be liberal, you sure do impose conservative views. Do you really think that in TO we have the same hate for you that you do for us?? No, generally we don't care/dwell on you guys like you do us. I know, I was born and raised for many decades in TO and it's suburbs and I never heard about this West/East coast hate until I came out here. Seriously.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
Brian Fogarty?? He is the English Canadian version of Alexandre Daigle...
Your statement is such a blanketed comment, so is it also fair to say that Van is a goalie graveyard? Also the fanbase in TO has NO bearing on what the team does with/to players, but I'd have thought that you'd know that after all you talk as if you were born, raised and grew up in Toronto.

Who cares about your subjectivity?? We are discussing about a player not the team who drafted him. I've lived out West for 11 years now and TBH my general consensus is; for a bunch of people who claim to be liberal, you sure do impose conservative views. Do you really think that in TO we have the same hate for you that you do for us?? No, generally we don't care/dwell on you guys like you do us. I know, I was born and raised for many decades in TO and it's suburbs and I never heard about this West/East coast hate until I came out here. Seriously.
Hate to say it, it's just really annoying that all the Canadian Media outlets are back east and thus they have an unintentional bias towards the east. That probably has something to do with it.

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

[QUOTE=phillipsj89;55057359]Hate to say it, it's just really annoying that all the Canadian Media outlets are back east and thus they have an unintentional bias towards the east. That probably has something to do with it.[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but it's just really annoying that the population of Ontario is greater
than the rest of the country except for Quebec (it's true more by about a couple of 100,000 people) Remember, that that part of the country was founded and settled way before the West Coast was even dreamt of. There's a reason the majority of things (media, radio and companies) are borne back there, it's to satiate the population. So don't be mad at the people who are from and or work there, just get angry with Lewis and Clark for taking so long walking/portaging.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote