HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn

Old
06-23-2012, 04:38 PM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
At the end of the day, if it turns out to be Parise @7mm + Schenn @3.6mm vs JVR @4.25mm + Carle @5mm I would be ecstatic. Long shot though.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:39 PM
FlyersFan61290

Don't know if this has been posted or not

“@sbaickerCSN: Interestingly, I'm told Holmgren had told JVR earlier this week not to worry about a trade. So much for that.”

If that's true it's so messed up.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:40 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Seconded. There was a clear reason for JVR's disappointing 2011-2012 season. That was a rash of injuries. Unless the Flyers know he cannot heal from these injuries, the 2011-2012 season could just be a temporary set-back.

The problem with Schenn is that he just hasn't developed. Yikes. I know young defensemen can have their wobbles before reaching great success, but I think we are taking the bigger risk in the deal.
Schenn is being paid 100k more than Grossmann. He's gonna get more points and has the potential to be far greater than his cap hit when it expires. JvR was being paid too much for what he brought now IMO (for whatever reason).

Schenn is value for his cap atm whereas JvR isn't really. The trade works for me in that we address an issue, don't lose anything we couldn't affford too and get a player who can (really) only outgrow his contract (whilst JvR grows INTO his)...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post

@sbaickerCSN: Interestingly, I'm told Holmgren had told JVR earlier this week not to worry about a trade. So much for that.

If that's true, I feel like ****ing screaming at Homer.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
schroed3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I don't see it. Anahiem is looking for a 2C. We aren't going to trade Brayden after adding his brother.

Anahiem would like want Voracek, Simmonds/Read, 2013 1st.... which is reasonable for Bobby Ryan, but can we honestly afford to do a 2 for 1 winger deal now that we've dealt JVR?
Holmgren will trade Brayden Schenn to Anaheim for Ryan and hope that the fans will become confused as to which Schenn is out there.

schroed3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DickTony

From a hockey standpoint, I can't stand this trade. Trading JVR when his value is at its all time lowest is pretty questionable, especially with this kind of return. Luke Schenn is a solid physical dman who is absolutely redundant to this roster. He brings nothing to the table that Grossmann and Coburn don't already have in spades besides a few extra highlight reel checks. I've heard he's a great locker room guy and a heart and soul player, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for in a trade. JVR, if he had to be moved, should of been packaged for a Yandle or a Dan Boyle type dman. When Timonen retires, we're pretty ****ed in terms of puck movement. Matt Carle (assuming he's resigned, and knowing now just how stubborn Homer is, he will be) is not our future top pairing guy.

Also worth noting: Braydon Coburn is our fastest defenseman...at least in the projected top 6.

From an organizational standpoint, this is a ******* stupid ****ing ******** move. I'm furious. Paul Holmgren has shot himself in the foot big time here. Trading away long term contracts in the off season before they begin is something he will forever be known for. At this point, I'd say it completely overshadows his initial legacy of "savior" after the year that shall not be mentioned. I have zero faith in his ability to manage this hockey team. He needs to be fired as soon as humanly possible.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
At the end of the day, if it turns out to be Parise @7mm + Schenn @3.6mm vs JVR @4.25mm + Carle @5mm I would be ecstatic. Long shot though.

It's worth mentioning. Even though I don't like the move, you can't rip the off-season plan before it has even had a chance to play out. We need to see how everything fits into the puzzle when it's complete.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:

@sbaickerCSN: Interestingly, I'm told Holmgren had told JVR earlier this week not to worry about a trade. So much for that.

Told Carter the same thing.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

I can tell you right now, I won't fault any of our young guys for not signing extensions... certainly not one's that give any extra benefit of the doubt to the team.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I do like how to some jvr is going to be a future stud while schenn will just be average.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I don't totally hate this, but it's shocking to see a straight up one-for-one trade and have it be a real hockey trade. Thought there would be other pieces.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:

Yeah that is pretty cheap.

Homer has to have more consideration for people's personal lives.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
Schenn is being paid 100k more than Grossmann. He's gonna get more points and has the potential to be far greater than his cap hit when it expires. JvR was being paid too much for what he brought now IMO (for whatever reason).

Schenn is value for his cap atm whereas JvR isn't really. The trade works for me in that we address an issue, don't lose anything we couldn't affford too and get a player who can (really) only outgrow his contract (whilst JvR grows INTO his)...

JVR hasn't even played on his new contract yet. I am of the belief that he is going to make his new deal look like a bargain over the next 6 years.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Anyone with knowledge of Ron Wilson's run and gun system able to explain how Lavi's system is different? Schenn struggled tremendously with the open offensive system.
Honestly, it's not that different. Lavi seems to like the cycle a little more than we did, other than that very similar.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Philadelphia Flames

Welcome to Philly Luke!

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:

“@sbaickerCSN: Interestingly, I'm told Holmgren had told JVR earlier this week not to worry about a trade. So much for that.”

I don't think trading JVR comes as that much of a shock. Holmgren said earlier this week, "JVR is still our player right now." Certainly not very committal in public, at least.

Old
JVR21
G

How in the hell would Sarah Baicker know what is said between Holmgren and JVR? JVR has been saying for awhile now that he likes Philly but if he gets traded so be it. He's been very professional about it.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I do like how to some jvr is going to be a future stud while schenn will just be average.
This. For every piece of praise I can give JvR I could give praise to Luke Schenn. For every weakness of JvR we could give one for Luke Schenn. It's potential for potential.

The ultimate change of scenery trade.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mgkibbles

Pretty sure every Homer meeting with a player before a trade goes like this.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:45 PM
RussianRocket10

Exactly one year after the Carter and Richards trade. Are we going to make a trade on June 23rd every year?

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Henderson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleafsgo88 View Post

Luke can be inconsistent at times, but when he figures it out, look out. He has playoff warrior and shutdown d-man written all over him. I bet the change in scenery (and linking up w/ his younger bro) will give him some jump

Pronger should teach him to have more of a mean streak and it will be the best thing to happen to Schenn
This.

Another Leaf fan not particularly happy to lose Luke, but I understand giving value for value. Schenn was completely mishandled by Wilson, imo. Stop asking him to jump passing lanes and start the rush...just let him play tough, physical, man-to-man defense.

All the comments about his character are dead-on. He could be a team captain one day.

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
How does this guy have a job?
I wonder this all the time and not just bc of his inability to take two seconds and edit his tweets. Guy is the worst reporter in the CSN Philly system

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Thinking about it more, I like this trade for a good amount of reasons.

1) We desperately need defense, especially a right hander.
2) We have a plethora of forwards. Like, a ton.
3) JVR is on a potentially bad contract if he doesn't step it up. He's streaky, and mentally doesn't seem all there.
4) Luke being here with his brother should be great for him, and also I don't believe Toronto is the best environment for a hockey player...they just have too many issues it seems.
5) Both players needed a fresh start. Luke fell out of favor and JVR was shown to be expendable.

I'm happy with it.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
It's not that black and white.

At his peak, Schenn is Adam Foote. JVR is probably could become a Ryan like 60-70 point goal scorer.

You can win championships with both of those players, it's just a matter of which one fits your system and gets to where you think he can.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:47 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

If he does this all the time, I'm okay with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoV1B-Oh_A

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote