HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Which center will have to go away?

View Poll Results: Who will have to be moved in the next 2-3 years?
Tomas Plekanec 37 22.98%
David Desharnais 36 22.36%
Lars Eller 15 9.32%
Louis Leblanc 3 1.86%
Alex Galchenyuk 1 0.62%
None. 2 of them can play on the wing. 69 42.86%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
This is the best part of the draft..

Now everyone else is **** and we have to cut the throat of one of our younger players to make room.

No decisions have to be made yet. Those questioning Ellers potential are going to look stupid next season.
This thread is more an excuse to bash Plekanec than anything else it seems to me.

I find the Eller haters funny though, all they ever do is repeat his point total over and over again without looking at the context. He's already a legitimate 3rd line center, and he just turned 23. Plekanec and Desharnais were fringe prospects at 23.

I wish they didn't rush Eller into the NHL, he needed a year in the AHL. Plekanec was essentially a rookie at 22/23, Desharnais wasn't considered an NHL prospect until that point.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:51 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Desharnais sees the ice and the action on the ice far better than Eller.
Unfortunately, Eller can't make plays...it is not in him...doesn't have the ability.
Desharnais makes those around him better...his strength is his natural instinct.
Many on this board get overly caught up with size...Paccioretty and Coles
wouldn't have put up career numbers without Desharnais.
..certainly not with
Eller. If anything, the Habs should convert Eller to the wing...good skater with
a great shot. Desharnais is a perfect second line centre.
Extremely false, Desharnais has put up his best stat line this year (First full season) in large parts thanks to the chemistry between Patches and Cole. Eller plays with absolute garbage. Seems the coaching staff takes away any chance he has of producing, he had chemistry with AK and Moen and for some reason they split them up. Eller gets rarely any PP time and as soon as he makes a mistake, he's in the doghouse. Looks like the staff wants him to be their ideal third line checking center.

Anyway, next year I say we keep Gally with the habs. If Brett Connolly could stay with the bolts after pretty much missing the whole season ,why can't Gally. Furthermore, we do have depth at Centre, so we could shield him in the lineup like Boston did with Seguin. In a couple of years when Gally can be our number one.

We go with Gally at 1, Pleks at 2, Eller at 3. I love what Desharnais did this year but he had trouble matching up with other team's better defensive players, when he was on the road. Habs do a great job of playing him and managing his ice at the Bell Centre.

ReppingMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:05 PM
phillytennis

I agree totally...Eller will be more useful on the wing...I even prefer Leblanc at the
centre position than Eller.

phillytennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Subnordi

Hmmmmmm, I honestly think that it will be Desharnais and that Leblanc will be converted to wing, I don't believe Eller will be capable of a top 2 center role, but I do feel that Plekanec is superior to Desharnais.

So maybe in a few years after we trade Gomez straight up for OV our team will be something along the lines of

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Cole
Ovechkin-Plekanec-Gallagher
Geoffrion-Eller-Bournival/Leblanc
Staubitz-White-Holland

Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Beaulieu
Emelin-Ellis

S: Price
B: Some guy that will play 8 games a year for us

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
habamillions

none need to go this year anyways. but if can get a few decent players u can deal pleks. but u dont have to he is good in both end of the ice. leblanc can play winger and eller has as well

habamillions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Subnordi

Another thing to add, like many have stated, we shouldn't just make space for Galchenyuk, that's what we did with Price, and as soon as it happened he began to get comfortable and sit back, not until Halak had stole his job did he realize that he had to play to his full potential.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
ChoseLa

DD is the only center who can play wing effectivly, i'm pretty sur that's what's gonna happen. Don't trade DD you'll never get fair value because of his size, he brings heart skillz and intelligence of the game to this team, he's a keeper.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Yozzy

I'd trade DD. I know he was one of our bright spots this year, but that's exactly it. We could get something decent outta him. I think with Plekanec offers some veteran leadership that we need for the young guys, and has been great for the organization thus far. Maybe a bit pricey, but we'll make do. I still have faith and LeBlanc, and between him and Eller and Plecks, we have a few options for 2nd and 3rd line centers. Gal will be our first line center, and although not yet, I think we're at a place where we're certain about our future and have a great chance to trade DD coming off a great season.

Yozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:57 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

If Galchenyuk makes the team out of camp - and that's a big if - you shift Eller to the wing. In no way, do I want to see Eller traded just to make room for another guy.

Eller can still be a great player of moved to the wing. He'll adjust and be effective.

Eller is quite poor at faceoffs on most nights, so that's why I'd make that move. Plus, the first line chemistry is hard to fight with.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Eller - Galchenyuk - Leblanc/Palushaj
Moen - Engqvist - White

I'd like to improve Pleks LWer and the 4th line C though.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Cupmonger

I thought that Eller had proven he is to play as a centerman. It was pretty clear during the season that he played far better at the center position than on the wing. How are people missing this?

I think Eller has the potential to become better than Pleks. It's hard to evaluate after the clusterf*** made by PG and JM. But Eller needs to be at the center. And he has the potential to be a great 2nd liner.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I really am wondering if we saw the same Eller.

He is 100000X superior at centre, the times he was put on the wings he was not comfortable at all.

But the thing is that I really liked when Leblanc was put at centre. He looked way better.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Kjell Dahlin

When in doubts Eller either shoots or drives to the net and his playmaking abilitiy is not above average. Hence, I see him as a winger short/mid terms.

Galchenyuk is 18 years old and we currently have depth at C => there is no rush.

Plekanec is our best forward (Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty rarely play against the opponent's top line) and he has plenty of good hockey left in him.

=> Leblanc and Eller on wings.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
If Galchenyuk makes the team out of camp - and that's a big if - you shift Eller to the wing. In no way, do I want to see Eller traded just to make room for another guy.

Eller can still be a great player of moved to the wing. He'll adjust and be effective.

Eller is quite poor at faceoffs on most nights, so that's why I'd make that move. Plus, the first line chemistry is hard to fight with.

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Eller - Galchenyuk - Leblanc/Palushaj
Moen - Engqvist - White

I'd like to improve Pleks LWer and the 4th line C though.
He failed at doing this already once. I fear one of Plekanec or Eller will be on the trading block come November if Alex is definitely ready.

BTW I vaguely remember reading that Engqvist was gone to Sweden. Can't find any source for that though, so it might have been an illusion.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I really am wondering if we saw the same Eller.

He is 100000X superior at centre, the times he was put on the wings he was not comfortable at all.

But the thing is that I really liked when Leblanc was put at centre. He looked way better.
Eller is better at C than at W but that's because he's more comfortable there. If the coaching staff works with him instead of just throwing him there, he'll have better luck. He'll also have better luck on a lower line then getting tossed on first line wing with no prior experience.

If Galchenyuk proves without a doubt that he needs to be on this team come fall, you move Eller to wing and help him transition. I'd also continue to work with him on faceoffs because aside from the chemistry of the DD line, that's what I based the move off of.

I'd rather teach Eller to play wing then to trade him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
He failed at doing this already once. I fear one of Plekanec or Eller will be on the trading block come November if Alex is definitely ready.

BTW I vaguely remember reading that Engqvist was gone to Sweden. Can't find any source for that though, so it might have been an illusion.
I'm more confident with this staff to help him transition. I also think transitioning him on the 3rd line would be easier than throwing him right into a top-6 wing role like we did last time.

As for Engqvist, I heard that somewhere on these forums but I think it was just speculation. I heard on TSN MTL that he wanted to stay with MTL.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Undertakerqc

Those Plekanec lovers are funny, its like they have a man crush on him. He failed us when we counted on him in the playoffs and everytime a season is on the line. The Plekanec lovers usually where the Kostitsyns lovers, and Pouliot lovers, they like softies!!! even Plekanec said it himself that he was a soft player, called himself a girlie, remember??? Therrien and Bergevin dont like softies and players like Plekanec that cannot be counted on in big games. As soon as Galchenyuk if ready, Plekanec will be gone. Eller will take the third line role. DD the second line role. I was right on Kostitsyn and will be right on Plekanec. His days are numbered. WHat was Plekanec plus minus last year compare to DD?? Enought said, check mate!!!

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:46 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I'm more confident with this staff to help him transition. I also think transitioning him on the 3rd line would be easier than throwing him right into a top-6 wing role like we did last time.

As for Engqvist, I heard that somewhere on these forums but I think it was just speculation. I heard on TSN MTL that he wanted to stay with MTL.
Yes you have a point about that. Therrien might be more able at using him efficiently. Martin was just cutting his ice time for almost every single mistake he was doing IIRC.

We should know very soon for Engqvist. Qualifying offers should get out in the news in the next week or so.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Those Plekanec lovers are funny, its like they have a man crush on him. He failed us when we counted on him in the playoffs and everytime a season is on the line. The Plekanec lovers usually where the Kostitsyns lovers, and Pouliot lovers, they like softies!!! even Plekanec said it himself that he was a soft player, called himself a girlie, remember??? Therrien and Bergevin dont like softies and players like Plekanec that cannot be counted on in big games. As soon as Galchenyuk if ready, Plekanec will be gone. Eller will take the third line role. DD the second line role. I was right on Kostitsyn and will be right on Plekanec. His days are numbered. WHat was Plekanec plus minus last year compare to DD?? Enought said, check mate!!!
I didn't know that he had nothing to do with shutting down the opposing top lines during our playoff runs. I guess I learn something new around here every day.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:53 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Yes you have a point about that. Therrien might be more able at using him efficiently. Martin was just cutting his ice time for almost every single mistake he was doing IIRC.

We should know very soon for Engqvist. Qualifying offers should get out in the news in the next week or so.
Exactly. Therrien is better with young players than Martin, no question.

As for Engqvist, I'd be shocked if we didn't qualify him.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:03 PM
pine

Dump DD when Gally is ready for fulltime top 6 duty. Keep Eller as shutdown #3 C.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:56 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsyhab View Post
can't believe so much people want pleky out. Once gally is ready for the 1st line centre spot, plekanec would be the perfect 2nd line centre.
this!

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Voted Eller because I feel he is expendable. He is not a third line center, which is what he will be used as. Plekanec is too valuable a player to the Habs unless they can get a defender in return and Desharnais is going to be a Hab for at least the prime years of his career.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:02 PM
HatTricK09

I dont understand why so many people wants Plekanec out.
True, we will be crowded in the C in the future, I thought of it too, but out of our C's, Plekanec is the last guy I want out (Outside of Galchenyuk).
He has been our best center in the past years. Plekanec has been one of the best two-way forward in the league. Our PK wouldnt be at the top without him. True, DD has more points and better +/-, but that is only because he's had the 2 same wingers all season long. And those 2 wingers were our 2 best scorers this season. Plekanec has played with so many different wingers including players like AK and Bourque, and even Moen, and still managed to get over 50 points. Gionta barely played. If he had Pacioretty and Cole as wingers all season long I bet no one would doubt him.
On top of that, he is one of our hardest worker.
At 5m/season for this type of player, he's worth every penny.

Edit: Forgot to mention: He was probably matched up against opposing top lines all season long as well.

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
not quite yoda

Look at the pens, they have had a great run with Crosby-Malkin-Staal.

By no means are our guys that good but I see nothing wrong with a YUK-Desharnais-Plekanec 1-2-3 punch. Pleks is great on the pk and can be an excellent shutdown guy. A deluxe checking line center if you will.

Eller can be converted to wing or traded for one.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I had trouble to reply to my own poll, but I have to agree that Plekanec could be moved eventually, when Galchenyuk becomes very good. In 2013-14, even without considering future UFA signing, we could have this kind of line-up :

Gallagher - Galchenyuk - Gionta
Bournival - Eller - Leblanc
Conboy/Schultz - Engqvist/Nattinen - White/Palushaj
I assume you're joking. Bergevin would never permit the Habs to have such a woeful lineup. At the very least I wouldn't expect to see Gionta, Conboy, Schultz, Engqvist, Nattinen, and Palushaj in 2013-14.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:50 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I voted Pleks, but moving Eller to the wing and having Pleks shift into a third line role as he gets older might be best. But if we did move Pleks we could see

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Eller-Desharnais-Collberg
Holland-Bournival-Leblanc
Conboy-White-Schultz

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote