HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn

Old
06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
HUGE.

As much as I love JVR and believe he has a very high ceiling; he did not exactly impress me this past year (and yes I know he dealt with injuries)

JVR straight up for a young, possibly stud D is a good deal in my books.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Im really not sure how I feel about this, but if this means no Carle I will be perfectly fine with it.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:00 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
The latest of my cursed jersey collection.

Gagne, Richards, JVR. I kept one blank just in case.
Do us a favour and put Shelley on it?

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:02 PM
meph

i ignore the forum for a minute and THIS happens? ffs

jvr was one of my favorites in philly :/ yet another trade after contract extension (jvr hardly played this year)

im pissed

meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:03 PM
JRA

How the ****** is Holmgren not fired for this trade?

JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:05 PM
flybynite77

If both players hit the max potential the Leafs win this trade in a landslide.

The determining factor is then how much of their potential you think each player can reach. JVR showed signs of it (last playoffs), but that was it. You can talk about injuries, but do you really expect this season to be that much different from last season for JVR?

He needs hip surgery and he's putting it off. Either he gets it in July and misses camp and maybe the start of the season and is behind the 8-ball... Or he puts it off and goes into the season and it gets to the point where he has to have it done in-season and misses 2 or 3 months of the season. Or he manages to play through it, but is unable to be even close to 100% so his game suffers and he probably ends up injuring his knee or ankle or something compensating for the bad hip.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Squad50FF

I am a huge JVR supporter and my intial reaction was really disapointed..but I think Schenn could be a fan favorite and really bolster our defense..Here is a clip that has lots of shots of Schenn laying guys out and clearing the crease and blocking shots..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFOtys_asfI

Squad50FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Mgkibbles

Anyone see JVR's last tweet as a Flyer? Pretty poetic.

"Gotta be a pretty cool feeling for 2 of the 4 staal brothers to play on the same team #dreamcometrue @BVR_17 @TvanRiemsdyk6"

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:09 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's ********. How would she possibly know that.

Even JVR knew he was going to be traded. Look at all the quotes from him since the trade deadline.
Easy. His agent may have told her. JvR himself may have told her. In fact they could have told someone who in turn told her and she passed it on. It's no different than last year when Carter and his agent both told the media Homer assured them there would be no trade.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:10 PM
cheesesteak

I like the quote from Pierre Mcguire at the end

cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:14 PM
MsWoof

Does this mean Carle is gone? I was just listening to TSN radio and they were talking about how much money the Flyers had tied up on defence and it was crazy, and that was without Carle.

Also, Schenn was ecstatic about playing with his brother, he kept saying over and over how exciting it would be to play with his baby brother.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:14 PM
mapes

Leaf fan here,

Good deal for both sides. You need Schenn, we need JVR. Our depth is on D, yours is forwards. JVR has higher upside as Schenn will never be offensive but JVR, as you know, also has injury concerns.

I liked Luke, good attitude and should love playing with Brayden. But he does make EXTREMELY dumb mistakes but is still young and learning. I remember the game when he pretended he was an offensive dman and tried skating circles around everyone, turned it over and they scored on the breakaway in overtime. But if he learns to simplify his game, he'll be hard to score against. Playing in RW's style was definitely bad for him and I was interested to see how he'd do under Carlysle.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Does this mean Carle is gone? I was just listening to TSN radio and they were talking about how much money the Flyers had tied up on defence and it was crazy, and that was without Carle.

Also, Schenn was ecstatic about playing with his brother, he kept saying over and over how exciting it would be to play with his baby brother.
Were they including Pronger's cap hit?

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
As mentioned earlier, the right-handed shot was an appealing factor:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/80...s-van-riemsdyk

Quote:
"He's a young guy, he's a right-(handed) shot, he's a big defenseman that plays physical and gritty, and he can move the puck," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said of Schenn in a conference call. "To get guys like this, you've got to be picking high in the draft. It's an opportunity for us ... and obviously James was taken high in the draft, too. It's another reason I believe why it's a good trade for both teams."

Van Riemsdyk, also 22, has 47 goals and 52 assists for 99 points in three seasons. He shared the Flyers' team lead with seven goals in 11 playoff games in 2011 after earning career highs in goals (21) and points (40) during the 2010-11 season.

The former New Hampshire star was the second overall pick in the 2007 draft.

"We are really excited by the parts of the game that James will bring to the Leafs," Toronto GM Brian Burke said in a conference call. "He will provide speed, size and finesse to our top two lines, and we know that he fits those needs that we have wanted to address for some time."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:16 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
If both players hit the max potential the Leafs win this trade in a landslide.
Considering our plethora of young offense and major need for a young top pairing defenseman, I couldn't disagree with you more.

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Unreal deal for you guys, and I'm sure it'll improve both Lukes, and Braydens game.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:19 PM
PasDaSquini

Well it looks both fan bases are pretty much pissed; which tends to say that the deal is fair.

JVR will help the leafs up front and Schenn will be a solid shutdown guy for Philly. It is a good hockey deal.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I will post down what I wrote on my feelings on the trade, u guys got a great young player who at times can inconsistent but will play his heart out and if he is on, he will hit everything in his site and force to reckon with for the opposing team. He was the most underrated player this season in the entire NHL. I am sad to see Luke go and I will miss him so much but we had to do what was right and that' s shipping out one of the d-man and gain a potential valuable player with great size in JVR.

this is my feeling on the trade.

Man, I am still trying to digest from this trade mainly because Luke never got his fair share yet in this organization and he played his heart and soul out with this organization since the day 1, at times he was an absolute wall to reckon with and at other times he had his fair share of moments(couple of bad ones), though he always loved this organization and put his heart and showed great leadership in the dressing room, I am going to miss him big time, hope he turns around his career and become a force for Flyers even though I hate seeing him any other organization then the blue & white.

On a side note, He was indeed redundant since we had so many d-man and things had to look around shipping one of them and Schenn was the most notable asset to have dealt and this sparked up a chance to gain another young power-forward like JVR(aside from his health) he can be a very valuable player. I am still neutral about him at this moment and we will see how it fold but we had to ship out a d-man sooner or later before the season started.

Hope this worked out both teams, in the end.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:22 PM
qwertysac

To everyone one hating the trade and trashing Holmgren.

Wait until you see the season B. Schenn and Couturier are going to have now. This opens up space for them. It's a smart move by Holmgren on a team that has wayyyy too much depth on O.

Who would you have rather seen traded? JVR, Couts or Brayden? I liked JVR alot too. But that's an easy choice right there imo.

Plus i gotta admit having 2 brothers playing on the same team is pretty cool

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:22 PM
AaronTrieu

We needed a dman and we got one. We have tons of forwards and if jvr was 100% healthy I'm sure it would be a different story. It's kind of a parallel move. I loved jvr but I can live with this move.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
Considering our plethora of young offense and major need for a young top pairing defenseman, I couldn't disagree with you more.
Yeah that's problem people have around here. If JvR becomes a PPG player and Schenn becomes anything close to a #1 defender, we will be more than better off. The Flyers have tons of weapons up front and nothing on the back end. Even if JvR turns out to be the better player, as long as Schenn is a top pairing guy, I would consider this a win by a mile. JvR was expendable. Some of you may take that as me saying he isn't very good, but that is not at all what I am saying. They don't need him. They have plenty of guys who can put up goals. Not to mention it is a lot easier to find a 20-30 goal scorer than it is to find a top pairing right-handed defenseman.

In a vacuum, I'd prefer JvR. But that isn't how the real world works. Teams have needs and sometimes to get better on defense you have to give up offense and vice versa. On this team from what I have seen from JvR and Schenn thus far, I'd prefer Schenn. The only complaint I have is that there wasn't a pick thrown in or maybe some project forward with a lot of upside.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Awakening

My take on this:

Pronger not coming back (but imagine if he did...kimmo/grossman, pronger/schenn, mesz/coburn holy ****)

No better option in FA or trade to land a Pronger replacement (Suter was never an option)

Didn't get anywhere on another D trade (Yandle/Weber)

Odds on landing a JvR upgrade (Ryan/Parise/Nash) are better than zero

I think this 1-for-1 is slightly in Toronto's favor (unless JvR is banged up worse than I know...concussion, hip, etc.), but if there's another move coming, it could be huuuge.

Awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:35 PM
IAMCANADIAN

I keep checking other websites "hoping" to see another piece added to this deal coming the Flyers way...but no.

I am not disappointed that JVR is gone and we acquired L.Schenn, but disappointed because I thought and hoped JVR would be part of a package used to acquire a Weber, Suter, Yandle, Ryan etc.

What type of a defenseman is Luke Schenn

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:39 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This.
My biggest concern as well...this team will never win because it never will be given a chance to gel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Yup. Also, make sure Homer is tied up on June 23rd.

JvR will likely play with Kessel and Lupul on the top line for the Leafs. Good luck to him. I never watch the Leafs despite living in Toronto but I think the change will do him good. He wilted under Ron Wilson and was a healthy scratch from time to time.
Haha, nice! Who plays center on that line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Folks, can somebody tell me what is wrong with Holmgren ? I just dont understand this one bit. Philly needs defense but Schenn isnt a defensive stud IMO and does not have much offense either. I just dont get it.
Simple, he is an impatient moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Idk jvr had a lot of promise but if you look at his injury history and the fact that they were back and forth with him needing surgery that does sound like a questionable future so his value is probably not as high as we all thought. He has done VERY little offensively.

On the other side Schenn was supposed to be a top pairing guy. I think he still has time to reach that. But either way when it comes time to sign Braydon I'm sure having his brother here will get us a discount.....
What is this injury history people keep talking about??? One season people....he played 75 and 78 games the two seasons before.

I don't like this trade at all....did not want JVR moved, but accepted the fact it was happening....Schenn just isn't worth it in my opinion, rather have packaged him for something more

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:40 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

wat.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote