HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft | #82 | Ottawa selects LW Jarrod Maidens

Old
06-23-2012, 02:19 PM
TheOriginalSilf*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieghetti View Post
I've heard some people say there's HOF potential there. Not to get crazy, it's theoretical, but he might just have that kind of upside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
I agree. I have never seen him play, but from what i have heard(and that's not much), he definitely has HOF potential.
Sounds pretty freakin' extreme to talk about a 3rd round pick who has yet to play a game in the NHL having HOF potential.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

im just saying that its been thrown out there. Seems a little optimistic, but I just can't rule it out.

Alfieghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
SixthSens
RIP Kev

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

Wow. Impressive interview (1on1 with gord)

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...e?hlg=20092010

Last edited by Icelevel: 06-24-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonscave View Post
pick between being knocked silly and having silly sperm...
As a GM I pick the guy without the brain injury, but let's not make an argument out of it. All I meant is that it's better if his injury went undisclosed due to embarrassment rather than severity, not that that's likely.

Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:13 PM
King City Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
This year's Cowen/Stone?
His rookie year he had a hip injury which limited his games until the spring and into the playoffs, and this year of course with concussion problems, he hasn't played that much his first two years. Probably a guy that could use three seasons in major junior after being drafted to reclaim that lost development time. He's got a high potential, if he gets healthy he will do well.

King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:19 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieghetti View Post
im just saying that its been thrown out there. Seems a little optimistic, but I just can't rule it out.
By who?

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Damn man. This is heart breaking for me. I love this guy and really was hoping burke was going to get him.

You guys have a great guy in your hands, he still has untapped potential and is a character player. Think Mike richards lite from the games I have seen atleast. Love him, even though Im going to learn to hate him

06-23-2012, 06:38 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Congrats on picking up Maidens! This guy was a first round talent 100% before the concussion. He was terrific in Owen Sound as a 16 year old (his OHL winning goal speaks for itself), and he was taking the next step this season when his year was derailed. The concussion was really serious, and as far as I know he still hasn't skated (he spent the second half of the year at home away from the team), but lately the interviews and whatnot out of Owen Sound's paper have been encouraging. The team really missed him with everything he brought to the team and if it weren't for guys like Joseph Blandisi (COL) stepping up and Halmo (NYI) playing out of his mind the team might have missed the playoffs. The power play really suffered without him.

He's the ideal future 2nd/3rd line centre. He's got an offensive element to his game that's sometimes flashy, but he backs it up by being solid at both ends of the ice. He's well built physically and would have otherwise been seen as somebody closer to Zemgus Girgensons in the draft than at 82 overall.

I'd say that his ideal upside would be a flashier version of Mike Fisher, even if he's not as good defensively. Just the solidness in his game and the role he's likely to play at the pro level reminds me a lot of Fisher.

Hopefully his health continues to improve, because should he be healthy and given the proper time (I'd say 3-4 years), he'll be an NHL player.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Rhino Reilly
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
Congrats on picking up Maidens! This guy was a first round talent 100% before the concussion. He was terrific in Owen Sound as a 16 year old (his OHL winning goal speaks for itself), and he was taking the next step this season when his year was derailed. The concussion was really serious, and as far as I know he still hasn't skated (he spent the second half of the year at home away from the team), but lately the interviews and whatnot out of Owen Sound's paper have been encouraging. The team really missed him with everything he brought to the team and if it weren't for guys like Joseph Blandisi (COL) stepping up and Halmo (NYI) playing out of his mind the team might have missed the playoffs. The power play really suffered without him.

He's the ideal future 2nd/3rd line centre. He's got an offensive element to his game that's sometimes flashy, but he backs it up by being solid at both ends of the ice. He's well built physically and would have otherwise been seen as somebody closer to Zemgus Girgensons in the draft than at 82 overall.

I'd say that his ideal upside would be a flashier version of Mike Fisher, even if he's not as good defensively. Just the solidness in his game and the role he's likely to play at the pro level reminds me a lot of Fisher.

Hopefully his health continues to improve, because should he be healthy and given the proper time (I'd say 3-4 years), he'll be an NHL player.

Thanks for the report

Hows his hockey sense?

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:02 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Thanks for the report

Hows his hockey sense?
His hockey sense seems pretty good, nothing outstanding or anything, but he showed some nice playmaking abilities early in the season. He has moments of greatness offensively but building consistency in that department is what he was working on at the OHL level and something that'll be a focus for him this coming season. At the OHL level he's very much like a Jordan Staal type in terms of offence, as the skills are there and you see them once in a while but still needing to put it all together.

Defensively he just makes good choices and really bought into the team system as an underager, which is why he played on the second line the whole season for the championship squad. This year with hopefully good health and an increased role he should come to anchor the penalty killing unit, so I'll be able to get a better feel for how he fits into that role at the pro level (never played it as an underager due to numbers and seniority and not enough sample size last season).

Hopefully that helps paint a picture of what he can do. Much like Joey Hishon, he's another wonderful Owen Sound player, just needs to get healthy to have a legitimate NHL shot in some capacity.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Lol his SensTV interview is kind of creepy... Keeps talking to the camera.

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Timmy

If you wish to discuss religion, please do so on the Political Boards.

Doing so here will get you threadbanned and infracted - this will be your only warning.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:35 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Interesting to see where he was sloted in the Fall before his concussion:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1215909

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:02 PM
KarlSen
Sinkhole Nation

I like this kind of gamble. It has paid of for the Sens with Cowen, Stone, and Vermette. Even if it doesn't in this case, it's a good strategy.

In the Citizen an article said they though Maiden may be cleared before development camp, but after not playing for so long, it would need to be baby steps.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:04 PM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny On the Right View Post
I like this kind of gamble. It has paid of for the Sens with Cowen, Stone, and Vermette. Even if it doesn't in this case, it's a good strategy.

In the Citizen an article said they though Maiden may be cleared before development camp, but after not playing for so long, it would need to be baby steps.
They said he feels fine but the doctors said he wouldn't be ready, I'm guessing this was at the combine though...
He'll probably show up and skate on his own or with some of the sens on their off-season workout program like Puempel last year

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
DJB

vCash: 50
Love that we swung for the fences here. Worked with Stone Cowen to a degree.

We have tons of prosepects, go for the homerun...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Jnewman

My gut feeling is that Jarrod Maidens will be the steal of the draft that everyone remembers 5 or more years down the road. As well as top 6 skills this is a character guy that every team needs to go from contender to winner. He's listed in the development camp roster so I'm hoping even if he doesn't show that he'll be cleared for the start of the season. I predict he'll rip it up in the OHL and make the Sens out of training camp in 2013.

Jnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Brendan Ross ‏@RossyYoungblood

Wonderful news that @jarrod_maids is skating at #AttackCamp after sitting out two years with concussion. #Sens @NHL_Sens

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

Glad to see him skating again and ready to play, but one more serious hit to the head is probably going to end his career. I truly hope it doesn't come to that, but it's something I think we should all be cognizant about.

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Jp20

amazing news! made my day hearing this!

Jp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:48 AM
BK201

Hope he can stay healthy, good luck to him to get back on track.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Is he not set to participate in this years rookie tournament? Thought he was on the Ottawa Roster?

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Is he not set to participate in this years rookie tournament? Thought he was on the Ottawa Roster?
Jarrod Maidens is listed on the rookie roster released by the team on Aug 22. It's still on their website too. I expect him to play.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:02 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Maidens also has a 'real' uniform number --# 21. So the Sens must think he's got what it takes, at least in the not-too-distant future.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote