Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Seth Griffith

Old
06-23-2012, 03:27 PM
fanfrom1954

vCash: 500
Seth Griffith

What is the knock on him? Why would someone who scores 45 goals w/40 assists for the London Knights fall so far?

fanfrom1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanfrom1954 View Post
What is the knock on him? Why would someone who scores 45 goals w/40 assists for the London Knights fall so far?
He is a center and as big as Hamill or he doesn't listen to the Hunters.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
dead_golem

Send a message via AIM to dead_golem
Quote:
He wears the egg of the king. If you put your faith in him, when his dream dies it will mean your death.

dead_golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:34 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
This is his second time eligible for the draft, no clue why he didn't get picked the first time. Brock had an excellent write up on him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I had Griffith as the 2nd best overager from the O behind Tanner Pearson. Payne didn't make my top 50 from the OHL (was one of my HM's). Here's what I wrote about them.

Payne is an intriguing power forward prospect. He was supposed to be one of the Generals youth backbones for the future, but wasn't happy there and ultimately wound up in Plymouth. He didn't have a great year though and certainly didn't progress the way many anticipated he would. But he's still a 6'2, 200lb winger who is willing to throw his weight around or drop the gloves. He has some puck skill and can take the puck to the net, but as of now, he's having trouble putting the puck in the net. I think some of that can be attributed to a possible lack of offensive hockey sense. He'll drive to the net or hang out around the crease, but just isn't finding scoring opportunities. At times this year he saw action with higher end skilled players and looked a step behind the play in all facets. If you draft him, you have to hope that his hands find him.

I was dumbstruck when Griffith wasn't selected last year. He was firmly in the majority of the top 100 lists that I saw, so his failure to get drafted was quite surprising. But it's good to see he came back quite strong this year. I have to be honest, I think what Griffith has done this season as a "re-entry" is more impressive than what Tanner Pearson has done. Now I admit, Pearson is the better pro prospect, but it still doesn't explain what Griffith is getting practically zero love for this draft the way Pearson (or even Tanner Richard) is. In essentially his second year in the league, he's taken the reigns of a team with several high end draft picks (including two first round forwards) and lead them to first overall in the OHL regular season. He's also been said team's best forward in the OHL playoffs. Sure, Griffith isn't the biggest (pushing 5'11), but he's such a smart and skilled player that his size doesn't affect him. And he's actually very good at protecting the puck and using the size he does have. His skating isn't an issue, as I'd consider it at least above average for the OHL. He's got tremendous hands and his wrist shot has improved immensely this season. He plays hard and contributes in all situations for the Knights. Seth Griffith has turned himself into a fantastic hockey player and I hope he hears his name called this time around.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Liked him in the memer cup games.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Count Popula

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_golem View Post
He wears the egg of the king. If you put your faith in him, when his dream dies it will mean your death.
Berserk reference!

Count Popula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
If that's the case maybe they should have just let him go undrafted and or atleast waited until the 7th round.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:01 PM
toomanymen

I have seen him play many, many times over his career in London as I have season tickets. The only knock on him that I can see (and it has been confirmed by a friend who scouts for the Panthers) is his skating. He isn't big enough to play at his speed in the show. Wonderful Jr. A player. If the speed picks up, it will offset his size. I'm a fan, but that's how I see it.

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:19 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I LOVE the Seth Griffith pick. Well done Bruins, solid draft

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Popula View Post
Berserk reference!
Holy ****! Good call!! Griffith!!!

I haven't seen a great deal of this kid. Memorial Cup play, mainly... And bits and pieces.

But I ****ing like him. I thought for SURE someone had already drafted him. His physical tools may not impress much, but the guy ALWAYS had the puck on his stick. Always making plays. Always in control and proficient in all three zones. He's smart. He can pass OR shoot effectively. He can play all three forward positions.

I don't know if there's something I'm not taking into consideration. I'm sure there are many, many things about him that I'm ignorant about - and a few of them have made Griffith less desirable than I think he should be. But from the limited amount I've seen, the guy looks like he could be a second-line NHL forward someday. And a GOOD one.

In the fifth round... He looks like an absolute steal to me.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Seth Griffith is like Zach Hamill: a guy you take a chance on in the 5th round, not 8th overall

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:34 PM
BoobaFett

Love this pick. A great boom/bust opportunity in the 5th round...I hope he turns it on.

BoobaFett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:40 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Damn, that's such an obscure reference, I was confused until MMB's post.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:51 AM
wetcamelfood

Well, wasn't Kessel projected (skills wise) to go 1st overall but dropped because he had baggage etc.? Not saying this kid does but sometimes those issues come in to play unfortunately as well.

wetcamelfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:20 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymen View Post
I have seen him play many, many times over his career in London as I have season tickets. The only knock on him that I can see (and it has been confirmed by a friend who scouts for the Panthers) is his skating. He isn't big enough to play at his speed in the show. Wonderful Jr. A player. If the speed picks up, it will offset his size. I'm a fan, but that's how I see it.
Somebody sign this kid up for power-skating.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
JOKER 192

How wrong can this go in the fifth round ,great pick ,he needs to get up to speed which won't be easy but whats the risk.How many fifth rounders make it to the dance,Yes many have made it but many more first and second rounders have so over all this is a good pick considering it's fifth round ,almost unbelievable nobody else took the plunge before the B's ,hope he proves em all wrong .

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Bruins1726

Great pick, great player to fill the overage quota this year.

Bruins1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:13 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER 192 View Post
How wrong can this go in the fifth round ,great pick ,he needs to get up to speed which won't be easy but whats the risk.How many fifth rounders make it to the dance,Yes many have made it but many more first and second rounders have so over all this is a good pick considering it's fifth round ,almost unbelievable nobody else took the plunge before the B's ,hope he proves em all wrong .
Exactly, if he makes it and ends up being a serviceable NHL`er, icing on the cake, if not, oh well

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Well, wasn't Kessel projected (skills wise) to go 1st overall but dropped because he had baggage etc.? Not saying this kid does but sometimes those issues come in to play unfortunately as well.
Not a good comparable. Griffith's case is more like a guy who has big production at a lower level, but whose physical measurables (height, weight, strength, speed) are not projected to be good enoguh to play at a higher level.

Sometimes those guys show they can just play at any level due to drive, brains, heart.... and sometimes they show that they just aren't big or fast enough to play.

Look, the odds are against any 5th round pick making it, but this guy was definitely worth a chance.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Not a good comparable. Griffith's case is more like a guy who has big production at a lower level, but whose physical measurables (height, weight, strength, speed) are not projected to be good enoguh to play at a higher level.

Sometimes those guys show they can just play at any level due to drive, brains, heart.... and sometimes they show that they just aren't big or fast enough to play.

Look, the odds are against any 5th round pick making it, but this guy was definitely worth a chance.
Is he small like Marchand? Or small small like Nathan Gerbe?

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:41 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Is he small like Marchand? Or small small like Nathan Gerbe?
Seems like a recent organizational trend taking smaller guys who produce though may not translate to the NHL game. Griffith, Spooner and Camper seem to be of this mold.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:02 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post

Height and weight measurements aren't everything, but he is listed at 5'11, 185, which isn't that small for a 19 year old prospect. To me, that's about average...it's Claude Giroux/Zach Parise dimensions ( not comparing their skill, strength, and skating ability ).

If he can work on power skating and improving his strength, we might just have something here 2-3 years down the road.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:24 AM
toomanymen

My opinion is that the Bs definitely have a good chance to find a "hidden gem" with SG. At some points this year when I believe both were healthy (and I may be wrong) I felt he was having more of an impact at the Jr. A level than Jared Knight. Does that mean he will make the NHL and Jared Knight won't? Of course not. Just an observation from a fan. He is not anywhere near the speed of JK, but has many of the same intangibles that JK demonstrated in his time as a Knight. I hope he pans out!

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:38 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Seems like a recent organizational trend taking smaller guys who produce though may not translate to the NHL game. Griffith, Spooner and Camper seem to be of this mold.
I don;t see how Spooner is lumped in with that group. Spooner is just about 6', and an explosive skater

Seth was a good pick where he was taken. I wasn't a fan of the draft as a whole but this pick seemed like great value for when he was taken.

JoeIsAStud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

I hope he turns out to be a nice bottom 6 player in 3-4 years. Trying to think of an NHL player that he reminds me of. Anyone?

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote