HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn

Old
06-23-2012, 05:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
You traded for the wrong player. #6-7 d-man on 2nd worst defensive team in the league.
Toronto was a team that was a mess in general when it came to defense. Phaneuf and Gardnier were the only two to have a consistent stay for the team (or on lines) while everyone else got jumbled up so badly. As even a TO fan stated, they didn't really have a system for the defense. Flyers do.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
Oh, the irony. Schenn will prove his worth and part of the reason for that has do with Wilson's coaching. Wilson and Schenn never got along at all and Schenn was a young kid begging for direction in our organization which he will surely get under Flyers coach and management.
Ok? Where is the irony part?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I hope this is a situation of giving to get

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Ryker

I'm OK with the move. At a certain point you just have to stop thinking wishfully and look at what a player has done for you. JvR has been disappointing, and while that could be largely due to injuries, it doesn't change the fact that he has. Maybe this move is going to bite us in the ass, but any move can do so, so whatever. But at this point, with Schenn's lower cap hit and him not really performing worse than JvR in his NHL career, I approve of this move.

It's good seeing the know-it-alls blasting the trade, though. Give it ****ing time, for once. "God" knows we've given JvR more than enough.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
silver surfer

I hate this move. Schenn couldn't crack the top 4 of a team with a weak defensive core. If JVR was going to be moved, we should have been able to do much better than Schenn straight up. Really do not like this move.

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

You guys will grow to like Schenn. He had a rough year but he will improve and he's being put into an environment that provides that opportunity for success.

I really wish all the best for Schenn and I do think he'll impress you at some point.

Good luck to you guys, I'll miss Schenn, and I'm excited to see how JvR does in Toronto.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:01 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post

Also, Toronto is my ****ing Z team, so it sucks to see them win a trade.
Win? How did TO win if neither player has played a game yet?

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Yeah that is pretty cheap.

Homer has to have more consideration for people's personal lives.
(a) we don't even know it's true.

(b) what if JvR sought homer out and asked him if a trade was in the works? what's he supposed to say? "yeah we're trying to get a defenseman for you, don't know if it's gonna work out though."

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
I hate this move. Schenn couldn't crack the top 4 of a team with a weak defensive core. If JVR was going to be moved, we should have been able to do much better than Schenn straight up. Really do not like this move.
I mean if you wanna look at it like that JvR couldn't crack our top 9 last year, he was either injured or ineffective. Giroux, jagr, hartnell, Schenn, briere, simmonds, read, Voracek, and couts all played better than him.

Both players need a change of scenery, both players have great potential. 2-3 years ago Schenn had a great year was the Leafs best D-man and looked like a stud at 20.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Toronto was a team that was a mess in general when it came to defense. Phaneuf and Gardnier were the only two to have a consistent stay for the team (or on lines) while everyone else got jumbled up so badly. As even a TO fan stated, they didn't really have a system for the defense. Flyers do.
So it seems logical to acquire the worst d-man on a terrible defensive team in hopes that he'll turn it around?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Schenn has zero offensive upside.
They don't need him to provide offense.

If that team to our west ends up with Parise (conversely if the Rangers get Nash), offense from Luke Schenn will be the least of our worries.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sonny21
Registerd User

I think both teams addressed they're needs. Schenn's a great character guy who doesn't back down. He will have NO problems going into the corners with the Lucic of the world and likes the challenge.

Schenn's biggest problem is his skating/decision making some times which is also in part of the confidence issues he had this past year. Every year he has added weight to get stronger, but instead of helping him it has hurt his game.

If you guys can get him to cut weight and bring it down to close to where he was in his draft year, man oh man do you guys have a force of d on you're hands, trust me. When he was at 215, he had mobility and good skater. Schenn although didn't admit it, lost a bit of confidence because of Wilson and when he struggled, but ****ing Wilson really ****ed him up when he made a mistake.

A confident schenn and with weight loss would be top 5 shutdown d in the nhl. His best hockey was when he was paired with Thomas Kaberle, omg how good he was! He learned how to be poise with the puck when kabby was here and at that time, he was still around 220lb max.

He regressed this year, in terms of handling the puck like grenade and being out skated, and fans of other teams that didn't watch luke at his best don't know what his capable of. We HAVE seen him being poise, mobile and confident when he was at his best.

I think if he has a great summer and sheds weight, you guys will LOVE him, he is perfect match for philly hockey. Good luck Luke, what a great kid! There are rumours that him and Phaneuf didn't get along in dressing room, I think for the first time I might actually cheer for the other team's player to beat the snot out of our own player in a fight lol if Schenn and Phaneuf fought.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DumpyD

Carle and Meszaros were both defensive scapegoats on a bad Tampa team and have excelled here to a degree.

I expect the same out of Schenn. I think this city will fall in love with him.

My only gripe is that we didn't trade cupcake sooner and get more out of him.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Schenn has zero offensive upside.
Again, I think that's a bit harsh.

He can make a decent outlet pass, from what I've read. He's had 20 points a year for four years. Let's not forget how young this guy still is.

He will never be mistaken for an offensive defenseman, but he isn't awful.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:07 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
He was #2 in Toronto, if that;s what you mean.
Retired. I meant, since he can't be #2 what will his new # be. Mostly wondering on any other #'s he has worn.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Broad st phantom

I'm a little optimistic perhaps. This trade can go either way, both Schenn and JVR needed a change, a restart in ways. I'm sure Schenns season for us will go... in the beginning, hey Schenns pretty good, to mid season where people will hate this trade, and then to the post season were people will absolutely love him.

Schenn has a lot of upside, and yeah, he had a bad year. But this is a trade you have to wait for and see what transpires. He's a young defensive D-man, in three years he should reach his peek as well. I think the trades worth it just for the potential of him being what he is suppose to be.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
Retired. I meant, since he can't be #2 what will his new # be. Mostly wondering on any other #'s he has worn.
His original # was 5 when he played in WHL and team Canada, but that is retired in Toronto.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Again, I think that's a bit harsh.

He can make a decent outlet pass, from what I've read. He's had 20 points a year for four years. Let's not forget how young this guy still is.

He will never be mistaken for an offensive defenseman, but he isn't awful.
He has a big slap shot and like you said makes a decent first pass. Other then that his role won't be that type of dynamo. He is going to be in the mold of an Adam Foote.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
silver surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
I mean if you wanna look at it like that JvR couldn't crack our top 9 last year, he was either injured or ineffective. Giroux, jagr, hartnell, Schenn, briere, simmonds, read, Voracek, and couts all played better than him.

Both players need a change of scenery, both players have great potential. 2-3 years ago Schenn had a great year was the Leafs best D-man and looked like a stud at 20.
The difference is that we were a very deep team offensively. That's very different from a having a weak/thin defensive core and not being able to contribute regularly.

No argument at all that JVR likely needed to move on to find a defined role on a team and be able to live up to his potential. But Schenn has had all the opportunity in the world to step up and has missed the mark badly.

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
I'm drawing a blank but is #3 in issue since Bartulis wore it?

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Would you guys have preferred Schenn or Del Zotto?
Not even close! Schenn by a mile. Good luck with DZ not a fan of his game. His puck IQ is really lacking.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Tonka
Diggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
He has a big slap shot and like you said makes a decent first pass. Other then that his role won't be that type of dynamo. He is going to be in the mold of an Adam Foote.
Nope...perhaps...His shot is not that great, he is not that fast. He can throw big hits though and maybe he will become the projected player Toronto hoped for.

Schenn might be good with Timmonen, what do you guys think? I just would not rely on Schenn with a mediocre defenseman, I think he needs a top defenseman to grow with.

I think Schenn may be more like Douglas Murray, just a bit better. A perfect #4.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
The difference is that we were a very deep team offensively. That's very different from a having a weak/thin defensive core and not being able to contribute regularly.

No argument at all that JVR likely needed to move on to find a defined role on a team and be able to live up to his potential. But Schenn has had all the opportunity in the world to step up and has missed the mark badly.
The thing is the leafs were actually pretty deep at the blue line, just their overall defense and defensive system was horrible under Ron Wilson

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I'm drawing a blank but is #3 in issue since Bartulis wore it?
Bartulis switched to 37.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Anyone with knowledge of Ron Wilson's run and gun system able to explain how Lavi's system is different? Schenn struggled tremendously with the open offensive system.
Leafs forwards suck and have the puck less then the Flyers do. Less Pressure and running around for Schenn.

Schenn is going to look great on the Flyers. As soon as he lays out a Penguin (which will be every game) you'll have a great time.

0:25

will be constant.

Just some insight completely neutral, but Schenn is a very good "off the rush" defender. his problem is when he gets cycled on, he doesnt have the footspeed or mobility and he gets lost infront of the net. But he is a great "eraser" for stopping rushes before anything can materialize. Expect him to lay out anyone who decides they want to be the puck carrier for zone entries all game

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote