HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn

Old
06-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
It sounds like a last resort kind of trade made out of desperation.
They've been talking about it for months...

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:39 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
I liked JVR and would have liked to keep him. However, I wasn't dead set against trading him, but I'm not a fan of this trade. Schenn hasn't been very good since his rookie season, and he isn't really the top end guy most of us felt like we needed. Disappointed.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
JVR says he "thinks the world of Holmgren and doesn't have anything bad to say about him."

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stephen

As a Leafs fan who has hated the overstocking of defensemen, and someone who isn't a Luke Schenn fan at all, I think we got the better hockey player out of this deal in terms of potential in James van Riemsdyk. His performance in last year's playoffs was a bit of a revelation while his injuries are a big concern.

That said, the Flyers do improve their defensive depth and do get a guy who could stand to benefit a great deal from being in the same organization as a Pronger or a Timonen and soak up some of that veteran wisdom, so you might be getting a player we never could have molded here in Toronto. And let's face it, with so many weapons up front, the Flyers are hardly going to miss JVR.

Who knows how this will pan out for either team, but hopefully we'll see each other in the playoffs soon and resume the rivalry.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I liked JVR and would have liked to keep him. However, I wasn't dead set against trading him, but I'm not a fan of this trade. Schenn hasn't been very good since his rookie season, and he isn't really the top end guy most of us felt like we needed. Disappointed.
So far it's looked like his track record has been :

Good
Bad
Good
Bad

So we should get a good player this year

Old
06-23-2012, 06:43 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Armchair GMs everyone dumps on homer and luke and he hasnt even played a gm for us and if he turns into a beast for us then everyone will be saying i knew it was a great trade high fives for homer.
unless you count helping the kings win a Cup, what has Homer ever done to earn our faith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah that's problem people have around here. If JvR becomes a PPG player and Schenn becomes anything close to a #1 defender, we will be more than better off. The Flyers have tons of weapons up front and nothing on the back end. Even if JvR turns out to be the better player, as long as Schenn is a top pairing guy, I would consider this a win by a mile. JvR was expendable. Some of you may take that as me saying he isn't very good, but that is not at all what I am saying. They don't need him. They have plenty of guys who can put up goals. Not to mention it is a lot easier to find a 20-30 goal scorer than it is to find a top pairing right-handed defenseman.

In a vacuum, I'd prefer JvR. But that isn't how the real world works. Teams have needs and sometimes to get better on defense you have to give up offense and vice versa. On this team from what I have seen from JvR and Schenn thus far, I'd prefer Schenn. The only complaint I have is that there wasn't a pick thrown in or maybe some project forward with a lot of upside.
If it is a lot easier than why did toronto make the trade? And Schenn will never be a #1, he doesn't have the offensive skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakening View Post
My take on this:

Pronger not coming back (but imagine if he did...kimmo/grossman, pronger/schenn, mesz/coburn holy ****)

No better option in FA or trade to land a Pronger replacement (Suter was never an option)

Didn't get anywhere on another D trade (Yandle/Weber)

Odds on landing a JvR upgrade (Ryan/Parise/Nash) are better than zero

I think this 1-for-1 is slightly in Toronto's favor (unless JvR is banged up worse than I know...concussion, hip, etc.), but if there's another move coming, it could be huuuge.
He is not a replacement for Pronger, he doesn't have the offense or pp skill....he is a purely stay st home guy, which is why I want JVR to be packaged for something better. Trades don't have to happen on June 23rd, you can wait and see

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
I keep checking other websites "hoping" to see another piece added to this deal coming the Flyers way...but no.

I am not disappointed that JVR is gone and we acquired L.Schenn, but disappointed because I thought and hoped JVR would be part of a package used to acquire a Weber, Suter, Yandle, Ryan etc.

What type of a defenseman is Luke Schenn
Slow, stay at home, no offense.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Broad st phantom

I personally do not see why people are writing Schenn off, didn't he just have 1 bad year? with his others being pretty good?

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:44 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
I personally do not see why people are writing Schenn off, didn't he just have 1 bad year? with his others being pretty good?
So did JVR

Old
06-23-2012, 06:45 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
My thoughts exactly

Old
06-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
So did JVR
So two underachieving high pedigree players get swapped for eachother.

What's the problem?

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Krishna

Quote:
So did JVR
JVR has never had a 'good year'

Just a good 2 playoff rounds

Old
06-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
He's alternated good and bad years since being drafted.

That's not entirely unexpected from a defenseman honestly. I'm sure he'll become more consistent (just as JVR will) as he ages a bit more. Let's hope we end up with an Adam Foote type player here.

Not a fan of the trade at all, but that's not because I don't think Schenn can help us. We traded struggling guy for struggling guy, but the maximal potential of the guy we got is lower than the maximal potential of the guy we gave. Whether either guy reaches his maximal value is in question and both reaching it is probably unlikely. Let's just hope this isn't the one we regret for a decade (like the Phillies and Ryne Sandberg).

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1347
Quote:
When the Flyers acquired Brad McCrimmon, 1-for-1, on draft day and because immediate D help was not only desired but needed, there was skepticism, too. Obviously, that isn't an expectation for Schenn to be McCrimmon's equal. Now only if Mark Howe could be 27 again.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

“@tpanotchCSN: JVR's agent said Holmgren told JVR not to worry about a trade. JVR: "between me and Homer" what was said.”

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:53 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Just to add, if you really do play a wide open run and gun system, then I really hope Philly management tells Luke to shed weight and improve his skating, that's one of the reasons most of us were excited to see Schenn under Carlyle this year, so he doesn't have to deal with pond hockey style of Wilson.

It will be tough to play against him though, leafs forwards will realize that very soon.
I hear he is a work out beast like Brindamour was and just added too much muscle over the off season. He works out with Weber in the off season I have been told so maybe he can help get him here when Weber becomes a free agent.

I think both players will show last season was just a blip and have strong careers.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:55 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
It's almost a given Giroux will get traded at some point. We have traded all our first round picks from 2000 - 2010 except for him
It's not happening. If it does, I just die.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:55 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Bartulis switched to 37.
Eww really? He shouldn't be anywhere near that number that's an abomination

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:56 PM
lancer247

Do 2 Schenns equal 1 Weber? Homer's next move.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Top Cheese Danish

JVR is handling this with a boatload of class. Good for him. I'll be rooting for the Leafs to make the playoffs this season.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I hear he is a work out beast like Brindamour was and just added too much muscle over the off season. He works out with Weber in the off season I have been told so maybe he can help get him here when Weber becomes a free agent.

I think both players will show last season was just a blip and have strong careers.
That's right, he added too much muscle over each off season. That's why I said if philly staff could tell him to take it off, it would help him SO MUCH because his not slow, at least he wasn't when he was 215 rather then 230+.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne Come Back View Post
JVR is handling this with a boatload of class. Good for him. I'll be rooting for the Leafs to make the playoffs this season.
Showing Carter how it's done

Old
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Since I had "van Riemsdyk" in my old username, I just had to switch, so I figured I'd just go with another lame, player name pun, using the player that was swapped for JVR. So, I guess I'm "Jim Schennson" now.

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schennson View Post
Since I had "van Riemsdyk" in my old username, I just had to switch, so I figured I'd just go with another lame, player name pun, using the player that was swapped for JVR. So, I guess I'm "Jim Schennson" now.
I don't know what to do with mine

option 1: change avatar to maple leaf and become troll?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

A lot of Leaf fans are coming on here telling you how much you'll love Schenn and I don't disagree at all. One thing I've been seeing a lot of though is people saying Schenn has absolutely no offensive skill. He's still 22 and his break out pass is getting a lot better than when he first came into the league. He's actually showing a lot of promise even if his numbers don't show it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him crack 30 points next season which isn't bad at all from a stay-at-home D who leads the NHL in hits. A lot of us were hoping he'd be Captain one day instead of Phaneuf.

Always loved the Flyers. Good luck to you guys.

bansheebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I don't know what to do with mine

option 1: change avatar to maple leaf and become troll?

Go with "Bruke Schenn" or "Luden Schenn".

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote