HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

How does the Schenn/JVR trade impact the D

Old
06-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I still think Carle will stay.

Coburn-Grossmann
Timonen-Carle

Isn't too bad and definately a better mix than

Coburn-Grossmann
Timonen-Schenn
That is very arguable. We seen last year how good those pairings were in the playoffs. I still think in terms of defensively and potentially. We got better in the back. This gives us a stud that hopefully will grow into what he can be. While we can also entertain other offers. This move was needed. Key guys are retiring. Good pick up by Homer.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:16 PM
rWoHockeyman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I wonder if there is any hope for Yandle now without giving up Schenn or Couts?

Yandle/Carle
Coburn/Grossmann
Kimmo/Schenn

that would be a great group of pairings.
I can't imagine we traded for one Schenn only to trade the other away. I like the the move for keeping Brayden now. I worry about the influx we have at center though. The question now is who would be trade bait for.Weber or Yandle? I have to imagine Mezaros would be included at this point, and probably Vorachek and/or Simmonds.

rWoHockeyman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:21 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rWoHockeyman88 View Post
I can't imagine we traded for one Schenn only to trade the other away. I like the the move for keeping Brayden now. I worry about the influx we have at center though. The question now is who would be trade bait for.Weber or Yandle? I have to imagine Mezaros would be included at this point, and probably Vorachek and/or Simmonds.
I said without giving up Couts or Schenn

If Voracek wants 4 plus a season I could see him on the block though I would hate to see him go. Simmonds probably won't be moved. Mez would be gone for sure but I don't know how many teams are willing to pick up his contract for a 4-5 d-man. Read should have a lot of value with that contract and his potential. It will be interesting to see if they pick up a D in a trade to replace Pronger.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:29 PM
rWoHockeyman88

Quote:
I said without giving up Couts or Schenn

If Voracek wants 4 plus a season I could see him on the block though I would hate to see him go. Simmonds probably won't be moved. Mez would be gone for sure but I don't know how many teams are willing to pick up his contract for a 4-5 d-man. Read should have a lot of value with that contract and his potential. It will be interesting to see if they pick up a D in a trade to replace Pronger.
Yeah, all those guys I want to keep. Of course, that's not how the game works. If only we could trade Briere to NJ for Parise's rights' then sign him long term. He wouldn't need to move and the kids and wife remain in the same area.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:37 PM
arpa76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picktastic View Post
Schenn will be faster this year for you, but the year after
Same thing happened to Kadri.
No it didn't. Kadri needs to PUT ON weight. And he's been in the minors improving his defensive game.

sheesh

arpa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Mota

I dont see how they sign Carle now, it would make zero sense...they would have 6 dmen making over 3.5 mil.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:20 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I dont see how they sign Carle now, it would make zero sense...they would have 6 dmen making over 3.5 mil.
Kimmo comes off the books next year so they would be able to do that if they wanted to. With Lavys system it is very hard on d-men too which having six D's that can play in the top 4 is a good idea because of the injuries his system brings.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:22 PM
flyersfan187

Quote:
Originally Posted by rWoHockeyman88 View Post
Yeah, all those guys I want to keep. Of course, that's not how the game works. If only we could trade Briere to NJ for Parise's rights' then sign him long term. He wouldn't need to move and the kids and wife remain in the same area.
I just wish they would move Briere to wing. He is still a good player to have on the team come playoff time. Its just in the regular season he seems to take games off.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Which is exactly what they had going into last season....

The only thing it would indicate is what we have all assumed for months... Pronger isn't returning next season.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
rWoHockeyman88

Quote:
I just wish they would move Briere to wing. He is still a good player to have on the team come playoff time. Its just in the regular season he seems to take games off.
Amen man!

He's a great player for the team, but with all those centers and his displeasure on the wing it would be beneficial.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree with you... unless they trade Meszaros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Which is exactly what they had going into last season....

The only thing it would indicate is what we have all assumed for months... Pronger isn't returning next season.
I count 5 last year.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I'm inclined to agree with you... unless they trade Meszaros.

I count 5 last year.
Yeah let's trade Mesz and have absolutely nobody at the point who can get a shot on net besides Timonen who will prolly be half dead again by the second half.

Flyers need another addition like a Yandle. Actually, I would prefer Yandle vs Carle b/c Yandle can actually generate more offense. Suter would be ideal too but looks like Pitt may persuade him to play there. Weber would be most idea but Nashville is probably asking for Couts and Schenn.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:44 PM
clodejirew

I dont see any reason to resign Carle. Gus is definitely ready to step up and he's gonna be much cheaper than Carle. I would like to seem them try to add another big time dman, but im happy with the defense as it is.
Mez-Schenn
Grossmann-Kimmo
Gus-Coby

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
I dont see any reason to resign Carle. Gus is definitely ready to step up and he's gonna be much cheaper than Carle. I would like to seem them try to add another big time dman, but im happy with the defense as it is.
Mez-Schenn
Grossmann-Kimmo
Gus-Coby
Whether you want to or not, I think many (most?) of us already believe that a deal for Carle is awaiting signature on July 1. The Flyers like him and he likes it here. He's absolutely better than Mezsaros overall imo, so if there's room to move a player, it's there.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If Carle is under 5M, I'd say go for him, especially since supposedly that Garrison would be offered 5M per year...

Interestingly enough, Carle blocks a TON of shots and he's missed 2 games in the past 3 seasons. Durable? I'd say yes.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:20 PM
clodejirew

carle may block a lot of shots, but so can gus and I also think gus can be way better than carle given the pt. Mez was our best dman when he was healthy and I can see him coming back and having a good year.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
What about Keith Ballard as a reclamation project? Would be had for cheap

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Garbage Goal

Carle better not be re-signed.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:48 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Gus can't handle a good forecheck, I'd rather have Bourdon or Manning out there if we're going that route.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'd rather have Carle at the contract he's probably going to get than Ballard.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Unstable

The thing is, our D isn't *that* bad. If Carle resigns for the right amount he's a great keep, as broadstreethockey has blogged exclusively. Grossman(n?) is solid, Coburn is solid, sure Kimmo is old but if Schenn starts moving in the right direction I'd be very happy with those 5 and MAB.

Yeah yeah, exposed by NJ, but that was a total team meltdown. This is another reason not to panic and trade Couts for Ryan or someone else - he's our best defensive forward.

Edit: Forgot about Mez entirely what with his injuries!

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:37 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If Carle goes and we miss on Suter, I rather go for a short term option like just bringing back Kubina at half of Ballard's cap hit for 1 year (around 2-2.5mil). Than go all-in on Weber (or someone of that caliber) when Kimmo, Kubina and Lilja's contracts are up (that's like 9mil in cap space created right there). We can also look in house with Gus and MAB for a 6th D to bridge the gap until we get a real impact defenseman (sorry Luke it's not you).

Last edited by litflyersfan: 06-23-2012 at 10:52 PM.
litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Gus can't handle a good forecheck, I'd rather have Bourdon or Manning out there if we're going that route.
When he's playing with confidence he's better then both of them. Manning only played a handful of games last year and considering Gus' play against the pens' stars I can't see how you could be more confident with Manning. Bourdon I can understand but not Manning at least not yet.

If Carle is signed for ~4.5 mil I'd be happy with:

Coburn-Grossmann
Kimmo-Schenn
Mez-Carle
Lilja

That's a solid d corp and considering injuries are inevitable I think it's almost necessary.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:06 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
And we got Grossmann who did exactly that.
Fair point about Dman taking time to develop. But Schenn never really posessed an offensive game that indicates him ever being a two-way thread.

I don't see Schenn as a replacement for Timonen. Especially not as soon as next season.

Hits are a) really not an indications of quality defense and b) one of the worst kept statistic in the sport of hockey.
We did have a bruiser in Grossmann who isn't a lesser player than Schenn at all right now.
I specifically said I'm not bitter seing JVR leave. I'd gladly would've traded him for the right price. Which in my mind for this organization would've been Weber, because as of right now, Timonen is still the closest thing to a #1 defender we have and imo Schenn doesn't have the all-around game to ever be one.
This.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:18 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Any Schultz rumors yet?
Yup. All have him landing in Canada somewhere.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote