HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the 121st pick, Kings select Nikolai Prokhorkin

Old
06-23-2012, 04:58 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 500
I'm more excited about this pick than Pearson. Seems like the only thing that kept him from being taken a lot earlier is the fact that he's Russian. DL has a good track record with Russians though.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
This reminds me of when I felt we picked up the steal of the draft in 07 when we picked Pushkarev. I hope this one works out a bit better.
That was Taylor next pick following Boyle and Tambellini.

I'm sure Lombardi learned a lot dealing with Pushkarev. I love that story he told about being stuck at the Canadian border and totally losing it when talking to Hextall about what to do with him.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
That was Taylor next pick following Boyle and Tambellini.

I'm sure Lombardi learned a lot dealing with Pushkarev. I love that story he told about being stuck at the Canadian border and totally losing it when talking to Hextall about what to do with him.
That was by far one of Lombardi's better stories at those GM breakfasts. That and when Jeff Solomon sat there for about 90 minutes before someone said. "who's that guy in the middle".

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiluj View Post
imho
Prohorkin is very similar to Grigorenko. Both from one team, both are big centers. Grigorenko has a bit more skill, Prohorkin is tougher and better in defence.

He can play center? He's listed as LW. Which does he play more often? Which forward position is he best at?

Thanks!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:20 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
He can play center? He's listed as LW. Which does he play more often? Which forward position is he best at?

Thanks!
He can, and it is actually his natural position.

Prokhorkin at 121st definitely has to be among the top candidates for steal of the draft right now.

The fact 29 teams let him slip to the end of the 4th round (Kings didn't have 2nds and 3rds so i'll leave them out) makes me question one more time if NHL teams really know what they do at the draft.
Obviously there is the Russian factor in play here, but the guy attended the combine,and everything seems to suggest he is very open to pursuing a NHL career. Considering what the Kings did in the past with Russians, maybe he even committed already. Nothing other NHL teams couldn't research as well (apparently only 5+ teams interviewed him)...

And obviously he was underexposed this year because of injuries and birthdate (not eligible for U18), but it's not like he wasn't well known already last season..

The guy possesses well above average skills (hands, shot, vision) and plays a very complete game. Not your typical Russian prospect cause he likes to engage physically (i'm sure this increased Lombardi's interest) and has some sort of a mean streak to his game. A rare case of a russian whose game seems more suited for the N.A rink eventually.
I've read in the past someone criticizing his defensive positioning, but on the contrary he seemed very responsable to me, even more so for a guy who, before his recent KHL sample, has always been relied upon for his contribution on offense.
Was used as a 4th liner in his KHL stint and did well in a checking role as a 18yrs old, so much that during the playoffs his icetime increased. So i actually consider his two-way game another plus.
He is a guy that could still be effective one day as a 3rd line center even if his offense would stall (would be a shame cause his potential is much better than that).
I see him listed at 6'2, but to me looks more like 6'3. Very good strength already despite his upper body being very green.

One thing that i remember questioning was his agility, in some games his feet looked a bit heavy; on the other hand, he is strong on his skates and skates well backwards too. Looks like a guy that can improve his speed and agility moving forward.

I really can't find any reason why he would drop to the 3rd round, let alone the end of the 4th. Maybe he could be more reactive, but imo it's just that he is raw and needs to play more than he did this past season.

Best case scenario for his development would be playing at least one KHL season as a top 9 regular; however i'm not sure that would happen with CSKA as they seem to be investing quite some money for next season.
The CHL would be a clear step backwards, even if he would get lots of top 6 ice.
The AHL i fear could really hamper the full development of his offensive game, i think he needs to learn to be effective against adults first and gain full confidence in his game before crossing the ocean.

All in all, if i were to draft without considering his nationality and injuries, i would have easily picked him in the first round.

Last edited by helicecopter: 06-24-2012 at 09:46 AM.
helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:38 AM
kiluj

He was a most usual center of Nikita Gusev (MHL top-scorer). So I don't know why he was listed as LW.

kiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:40 AM
SuperAlmeida

Hell yeah!
Quote:
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman Prokhorkin to the Kings. Have him 22, tremendous prospect. Has good size, puck skills, hockey sense and grit.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I'd rather do what they did with Voynov and sign him and start him off in Manchester. Should he struggle in the AHL they can always assign him to whatever CHL takes him in the Import Draft. He is going to be 19 this season with experience in the second best league in the world. And Manchester could use the scoring help.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:43 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I'd rather do what they did with Voynov and sign him and start him off in Manchester. Should he struggle in the AHL they can always assign him to whatever CHL takes him in the Import Draft. He is going to be 19 this season with experience in the second best league in the world. And Manchester could use the scoring help.
This. Give him a contract and send him to Manch. I think he's ready to be in their bottom six (to start the year).

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:26 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Seems like Dean gets another steal of a Russian. Following the Red Wings method in the 90s....getting great value in the later rounds.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:10 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Absolutely. Voynov being from the same town can really help show him the ropes and the ins and outs of Manchester.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:15 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Absolutely. Voynov being from the same town can really help show him the ropes and the ins and outs of Manchester.
....Huh?

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:18 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
....Huh?
Yeah!

Can't tell if I'm still hung over or asleep...

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
The AHL i fear could really hamper the full development of his offensive game, i think he needs to learn to be effective against adults first and gain full confidence in his game before crossing the ocean.
Just wondering why it would hamper his development. Isn't playing in the KHL on par or even a stronger league as the AHL? Seems to me it would make more sense and better for the development to get over to America, learn the language and culture, step into the Kings system and learn it, as well as play against men. Or is that too much for this kid and that he may not play enough minutes in Manchester? Thanks for your insight.

Kings4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:22 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
Just wondering why it would hamper his development. Isn't playing in the KHL on par or even a stronger league as the AHL? Seems to me it would make more sense and better for the development to get over to America, learn the language and culture, step into the Kings system and learn it, as well as play against men. Or is that too much for this kid and that he may not play enough minutes in Manchester? Thanks for your insight.
I think the issue is two fold.

First of all, there is no guarantee he will play in the KHL. He may be assigned to a lesser league.

Second of all, the AHL may be a lesser league to the KHL, but the Kings can govern what type of instruction and influences he has in the AHL.

Superior competition does not always equate a better source for development.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:21 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Really hope this kid comes over this year, be it CHL or AHL.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 06-24-2012 at 09:08 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I think the issue is two fold.

First of all, there is no guarantee he will play in the KHL. He may be assigned to a lesser league.

Second of all, the AHL may be a lesser league to the KHL, but the Kings can govern what type of instruction and influences he has in the AHL.

Superior competition does not always equate a better source for development.
I totally agree. The OP thought the AHL would hamper his development and was wondering why that would be. Maybe just the culture shock.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:10 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
there are two separate kind of reasons why i'd like Prokhorkin to stay a bit more in Russia.

Nikolay is still a raw prospect. Playing in KHL you have more time to make plays, you have more time to try to 'do your things' (the ones that made you succesful against junior competition). In the AHL i fear he would play more conservative, would be encouraged to make the safe play time after time. And if you haven't learnt yet how to be a consistent offensive threat against men, you won't feel 'safe' when making a creative play, or trying to beat the defender 1on1, or holding onto the puck a little more.. I think a Euro player needs to be already confident in his offensive game vs men to be able to use it in the N.A. pro-game.

The second matter is, raw prospects should get their focus as much as possible on refining their hockey skills while they're not yet the finished product.
Going overseas for a 18yrs old Russian means having to face A LOT of inputs and new problematics on and off the ice, altogether. Focus then often shifts from refining hockey skills to adapting to a new life and a new game (I guess adapting to the NA game can be seen as refining hockey 'skills', but that's not what i mean here).

So the best scenario imo would be him playing regularly top 9 minutes in Russia for at least a year.

Then again, there are no guarantees that would happen considering CSKA is bringin in some new players; and there is always the risk he might sign a longer contract there, so i can see why the Kings fans hope for him to cross the ocean as soon as possible.

btw, if playing in the AHL next year would he be able to attend the 2013 WJC?

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
KingLB

Quote:
there are two separate kind of reasons why i'd like Prokhorkin to stay a bit more in Russia.

Nikolay is still a raw prospect. Playing in KHL you have more time to make plays, you have more time to try to 'do your things' (the ones that made you succesful against junior competition). In the AHL i fear he would play more conservative, would be encouraged to make the safe play time after time. And if you haven't learnt yet how to be a consistent offensive threat against men, you won't feel 'safe' when making a creative play, or trying to beat the defender 1on1, or holding onto the puck a little more.. I think a Euro player needs to be already confident in his offensive game vs men to be able to use it in the N.A. pro-game.

The second matter is, raw prospects should get their focus as much as possible on refining their hockey skills while they're not yet the finished product.
Going overseas for a 18yrs old Russian means having to face A LOT of inputs and new problematics on and off the ice, altogether. Focus then often shifts from refining hockey skills to adapting to a new life and a new game (I guess adapting to the NA game can be seen as refining hockey 'skills', but that's not what i mean here).

So the best scenario imo would be him playing regularly top 9 minutes in Russia for at least a year.

Then again, there are no guarantees that would happen considering CSKA is bringin in some new players; and there is always the risk he might sign a longer contract there, so i can see why the Kings fans hope for him to cross the ocean as soon as possible.

I believe DL and Co really value the WJC experience....I believe VV went when he was in Manchester, Moller went when he was in the NHL, and Schenn went before he went back to juniors...

I wonder if he is still a little "raw" a year on a top CHL team might be real good for him (DL seems to have many connections to OHL squads, Loki went to Windsor when they were on top and Kitsyn to the Majors when they were on top). I know he would probably be better then most competition, but he could get a LA camp in, then go CHL, then get WJC and if he is lucky get some AHL time at the end of the year...

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:

Ok, that makes some sense. I have no idea of the dynamics of a Russian player coming to NA to play hockey, but it seems to make sense from a Kings point of view to get him over here for either the AHL or CHL.

Thanks for the input.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:40 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

The import draft is tomorrow, eager to see where this kid goes.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:42 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Import draft going on right now, let's see if he gets selected or not

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I'm assuming Prokhorkin is dropping in the import draft because he's a '93, so the teams know they'll only have him for one year, if he even plays for the junior team. He will probably go to a contender, like Loktionov did with Windsor (Which isn't a bad thing)

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I'm assuming Prokhorkin is dropping in the import draft because he's a '93, so the teams know they'll only have him for one year, if he even plays for the junior team. He will probably go to a contender, like Loktionov did with Windsor (Which isn't a bad thing)
Or maybe they assume he's going to the AHL

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:40 AM
SKingsfan88

I hope Moose Jaw drafts him so that if he doesn't go to the AHL i can watch him play.

SKingsfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote