HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn

Old
06-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Burke says he thinks of JVR playing as a winger but that the coaching staff may try him as a centre.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:14 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Who is he Leino lol

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
"hmmm" is all the input I have at this time.
Yeah, me too. It just seems like a precursor to something even bigger. I don't see us re-signing Matt Carle now, but I do see us doing something big come July 1. Homer's got something up his sleeve.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:19 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I hope JVR breaks out and turns into one of the better power forwards in the game, which he does have the potential to do that. I also hope Schenn can provide the hits and defensive shut down game that he has potential for.

This trade should work out for both teams.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Schenn is 22. WTF are people jumping off buildings for..... We need a D. We get a D. He hits everything in site. I'm all for it (now).....

I am interested to see what happens with Carle contract - as much as I don't want him here...but he will be I'm sure.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:25 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

its a total wash with us getting the bonus of being one of the freak teams with brothers. l. schenn and B. schenn? or do they get crazy and go the ron and rich sutter route.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
So two underachieving high pedigree players get swapped for eachother.

What's the problem?
JVR didn't underachieved, he got injured. 16 points in 20 games before injury and dominant in the playoffs the year before. Schenn can't move the puck and is slow with little offensive upside, doesn't fit Lavi's system. You can hit all you want, still need to get the puck out of the zone

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Burke says he thinks of JVR playing as a winger but that the coaching staff may try him as a centre.
He did play some center in college....not sure he is good enough defensively to do it in the NHL

Old
06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Antropovsky

Just a comment from a leaf fan regarding Luke schenn, he isnt known as a gym rat and definitely didn't come into camp too big. If anything he's a little on the chubby size. Nonetheless I'm gonna miss him.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

I have a ton of respect for JVR and how classy he is handling the trade from what I have been reading Luke is just as classy pretty awesome on both ends

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:34 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

I think it will be easier to replace forwards than defensemen on July 1st.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:35 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I'd just like to point something out I was thinking about...this trade is a lot more than JVR for Schenn. It's more like JVR for Schenn, a better Carle (with a right handed partner) and a happier Brayden Schenn. The more I think about, the more I love this trade.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
You'd really have to be an idiot to sign a long term deal with the Flyers now.
Only idiots sign contracts that earn them $30m.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Squeeven

I'm not sure why some of you don't like this trade. Schenn is a big, strong shutdown defenseman who can really lay out some big hits if guys don't keep their heads up. He's great at blocking shots and he always makes a solid first pass. I think since the Flyers like to play rough, he'll fit in well. And who knows maybe he and his brother will play well with each other. Anyway, I think this is a good trade for both teams.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
JVR didn't underachieved, he got injured. 16 points in 20 games before injury and dominant in the playoffs the year before. Schenn can't move the puck and is slow with little offensive upside, doesn't fit Lavi's system. You can hit all you want, still need to get the puck out of the zone
I don't know a lot about Schenn, but I feel like the Flyers gave up on JVR too quickly. He could still be a solid #1 wing.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yeah, me too. It just seems like a precursor to something even bigger. I don't see us re-signing Matt Carle now, but I do see us doing something big come July 1. Homer's got something up his sleeve.
Going to preface this by saying that I haven't read a single post before this page... so I have no idea what anybody else feels on this... My thinking is that Carle is signed to a Flyers friendly deal that is also fair to Matt ignoring the inflated Open Market contract he could have got... and Luke Schenn replaces Pronger on the roster with the savings from #20 & #21's contract going for a top six winger in the mold of Ryan, Nash or (hopefully) Parise... Thing is that if they now go the trade route Homer has to be creative because he doesn't have JvR any longer to anchor it. To me the best deal to keep the young core intact is UFA Parise... but the best for he Cap is to obtain Ryan and trade a salary. I suppose not extending Jagr is a great option, but who to give up in any huge major deal is a huge concern. B. Schenn has to be safe now, even more than ever... and Couturier to me has to stay. I'd think that Read has to be used but cannot be the anchor. Home has his work cut out for himself as I see it... in convincing Parise or in giving away a key asset.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:42 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I'd just like to point something out I was thinking about...this trade is a lot more than JVR for Schenn. It's more like JVR for Schenn, a better Carle (with a right handed partner) and a happier Brayden Schenn. The more I think about, the more I love this trade.
Carle and Schenn together might lead the league in turnovers

Old
06-23-2012, 07:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1298
Here's a perspective for both sides from Kevin Allen @ the USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...sis/55784660/1

Quote:
From the Flyers' perspective: With Matt Carle heading toward unrestricted free agency and Chris Pronger's future in doubt because of lingering concussion symptoms, the Flyers have been looking for help on the blue line. In Schenn, the Flyers get a 22-year-old player who is strong, feisty and still has his best seasons in front of him. The presumption is that Schenn also will improve offensively. He is the older brother of Philadelphia forward Brayden Schenn. The Flyers also have cost certainty with Schenn because is locked up for four more years at $3.6 million a season. Philadelphia is among the Eastern Conference's top offensive teams, and they have enough scoring depth to part with van Riemsdyk, who is still unproven.
Quote:
From the Maple Leafs' perspective: One of GM Brian Burke's mission was to find another scoring threat to play among his top six forwards. In van Riemsdyk, he gets a player with size, speed and a scoring touch. Burke has long preferred bigger forwards, and van Riemsdyk is 6-3. But what Burke wants most out of the winger is goals. He was a 21-goal scorer two seasons ago and had 11 goals in 43 games in 2011-12 when his season was disrupted by a series of injuries. The van Riemsdyk that the Maple Leafs want is the dominant player who scored seven goals in 11 playoff games in 2010. In that impressive run, he looked like he was on his way to becoming a consistent 30-goal scorer. Another interesting aspect of this trade is that van Riemsdyk was the No. 2 pick in 2007 and Schenn was No. 5 the following year. There is some risk here for the Maple Leafs because the league hasn't yet seen van Riemsdyk be a force for a full 82-game season. Toronto now is obligated to him for six more seasons at a $4.25 million cap hit.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Funny how you just trashed Schenn's game but just gave JVR excuses.

Its not about him just hitting. He is a gritty physical defenseman. He will block shots and do that dirty defensive work that teams NEED. Let the kid mature. Sure he isn't going to be an offensive dynamo but that was never going to be his role in the NHL anyways. He was going to be a future shutdown defenseman. Defesneman take YEARS to develop.

With JVR it was the same ole story. Showed flashes but never put it together consistently. Good shot and very good speed on the wing. The problem with him is he doesn't have many moves to attack the ice or attack the net. Its the same rush from the right side. He is very inconsistent physically. When he turns into beast mode he can look unstoppable. But that is an IF. For a big guy he is a very perimeter player. He started going towards the net a little more this past season but i don't think he will ever develop himself to do it more consistently. He isn't much of a playmaker or a player that will create much for himself. Unless he uses his speed on the outside. Other then that he won't really create much on his own.

Both players can be NHL all-stars. It was a decent trade. The flyers got what they needed for now and in the future. Same with Toronto.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I don't know still..this trade seems kind of neutral to me in some ways. While we need D depth and Schenn is just that ...we also need some more production offensively from the backend. Schenn's improved first pass and possible improved offensive upside is not enough.

I mean really all we have is Timonen and Meszaros and Mesz is hit or miss in that regard. That was one of our achilles heels against the Devils. We had nobody back there with Mesz injured and Timonen half dead to keep the Devils honest when they were smothering our forwards albeit at times in a cheap way with picks etc.

If somehow we can get Yandle it would be better but it doesn't look like it's in the cards. I'm sure the Flyers tried for Yandle and Suter and probably even Weber but bet all those teams want Couts or Schenn and Holmgren doesn't want to let them go and I don't blame him.

We wouldn't be in this damn pickle all the time trying to address our D needs with free agents or trades if we just developed D men better!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:49 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I am optimistic here. It's obvious that our off-season is just getting started. Whether that means B. Ryan or Nash or something else in free agency, we have a lot left in store.

But the market for defenders is pretty bare this summer, and Schenn can step in immediately. Coburn, Schenn, Grossman is very solid to give Timonen some support.

It also frees up room to trade Meszaros if need be.
No, to trade Carle.

Coburn Grossman Mesz and Schenn are not the best top 4 out there. Gte Suter in addition to those four and then ur set.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:49 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Funny how you just trashed Schenn's game but just gave JVR excuses.

Its not about him just hitting. He is a gritty physical defenseman. He will block shots and do that dirty defensive work that teams NEED. Let the kid mature. Sure he isn't going to be an offensive dynamo but that was never going to be his role in the NHL anyways. He was going to be a future shutdown defenseman. Defesneman take YEARS to develop.

With JVR it was the same ole story. Showed flashes but never put it together consistently. Good shot and very good speed on the wing. The problem with him is he doesn't have many moves to attack the ice or attack the net. Its the same rush from the right side. He is very inconsistent physically. When he turns into beast mode he can look unstoppable. But that is an IF. For a big guy he is a very perimeter player. He started going towards the net a little more this past season but i don't think he will ever develop himself to do it more consistently. His isn't much of a playmaker or a player that will create much for himself. Unless he uses his speed on the outside. Other then that he won't really create much on his own.

Both players can be NHL all-stars. It was a decent trade. The flyers got what they needed for now and in the future. Same with Toronto.
He had put it all together, HE GOT HURT....kinda hard to do much when you can't skate. Again, beast in playoffs 16 points in 20 games at beginning of the season. He would have been a 30 goal scorer if healthy....and that is with little pp time.

Schenn couldn't even play top 4 in Toronto....he can't move the puck and isnt very quick, tell me how that fits in Lavi's system?

I don't disagree dmen take long to develop, so do big forwards and JVR was ahead of schedule considering he came from college and not major junior

A potential #1 lw for a potential #3 or 4 dman is not fair value in my opinion. Schenn doesn't have enough offensive skill to be a top pairing guy.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:52 PM
tenorman85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Schenn is 22. WTF are people jumping off buildings for..... We need a D. We get a D. He hits everything in site. I'm all for it (now).....

I am interested to see what happens with Carle contract - as much as I don't want him here...but he will be I'm sure.
Exactly, Schenn is only 22. If he were say 26 or 27 and had the career he's having then us fans would have a reason to be concerned. Give him a few years under the system and let's see what he's got.

As for Matt Carle, I'm not a big fan of the guy and I sure hope that he doesn't earn 4-5 million dollars a year just to be a 3rd liner.

tenorman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Only idiots sign contracts that earn them $30m.
Ha ha....good one. Seriously the only idiots are the ones who can't see that this game is a business and that these players are getting big bucks and only coddled babies will cry fowl and trust in a business man's word.

Besides, I have yet to see a player turn down a chance to play for the Flyers based on this inane idea that the word of the GM might not be golden. The only one so far was Hamhuis who was a hick and just didn't want to live in the East.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:53 PM
drownedsailors

It's funny how everyone (non- Flyers fans) are saying if JVR becomes a great player, we're doomed...you guys fail to realize that we were one of the best offensive teams in this league WITHOUT JVR, so technically speaking we don't really need him.

The problem isn't about losing JVR but how we lost him...I was hoping to ship JVR in a package to get Bobby Ryan or maybe Weber (although that would require more than just Riemer), but instead it was a straight up trade. I'm ok with the trade now and I'm hoping a change of scenery as well as an actual system might help Schenn's game.

Last edited by drownedsailors: 06-23-2012 at 08:21 PM.
drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote