HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs select Brady Vail - 94th overall

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
  #26
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,297
vCash: 500
I hope we draft his teammate next summer, Kerby Rychel. What a year he had.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 03:23 PM
  #27
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,376
vCash: 500
I had Vail ranked 19th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote.

Vail is a terrific two way centerman who projects excellently as a shutdown type of forward at the next level. Every night, Vail matched up against the opposition's top line and had the task of shutting them down. He has everything you'd look for in potential defensive stalwart. He's got size and he's aggressive in using it. He bodies forwards off the puck, is physical and in your face, works well in the corners, has a very active stick, and anticipates the play well. He's also a good skater, which allows him to be both an effective backchecker and penalty killer. Best of all, for all his tough defensive assignments, Vail actually managed to put up some impressive offensive numbers. With 22 goals, and 30 assists, he did his fair share of not only shutting down the opposition's best, but scoring on them too. He's at his best as a playmaker who is patient with the puck in the offensive end, and does well to find his teammates in scoring position, especially from behind the net after working the cycle. As a goal scorer, his shot is still developing, but he's not afraid to crash the net for rebounds and pay the price for dirty goals. Vail is probably going to be that guy who goes earlier than expected because NHL teams just love players like him.

__________________
OHL Prospects Blog - http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
OHL Prospects on Twitter - @BrockOtten
Brock is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
  #28
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,296
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I had Vail ranked 19th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote.

Vail is a terrific two way centerman who projects excellently as a shutdown type of forward at the next level. Every night, Vail matched up against the opposition's top line and had the task of shutting them down. He has everything you'd look for in potential defensive stalwart. He's got size and he's aggressive in using it. He bodies forwards off the puck, is physical and in your face, works well in the corners, has a very active stick, and anticipates the play well. He's also a good skater, which allows him to be both an effective backchecker and penalty killer. Best of all, for all his tough defensive assignments, Vail actually managed to put up some impressive offensive numbers. With 22 goals, and 30 assists, he did his fair share of not only shutting down the opposition's best, but scoring on them too. He's at his best as a playmaker who is patient with the puck in the offensive end, and does well to find his teammates in scoring position, especially from behind the net after working the cycle. As a goal scorer, his shot is still developing, but he's not afraid to crash the net for rebounds and pay the price for dirty goals. Vail is probably going to be that guy who goes earlier than expected because NHL teams just love players like him.
Thanks for this!

Curious, where can we see your top 20 OHL list, so I know who was valued ahead of ihm from the OHL.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
  #29
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
awesome write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
According to THN:

After a disappointing start to his OHL career, Vail put himself in cpaable hands of Windsor trainer Joe Garland in the summer and the results were impressive.
Training alongside New Jersey Devils calder trophy candidate Adam Henrique and 2013 prospect Kerby Rychel, Vail was transformed. His point totals increased five-fold and he became highly effective in other aspects of the game.
"I really like him" said one scout. "To me hes a third liner in the NHL. He does the little things right that coaches love. You can match him up against a top line and he'll do the job."
A teen phenom who played in the USHL at 15 alongside teammate Nick Ebert, Vail has developed into the type of player a coach throws over the boards to a protect a one-goal lead with a minute to play.
He has also become an important penalty-killed for the squad, but still post decent offensive numbers.
I'm loving this kid more and more.

TennisMenace is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 03:38 PM
  #30
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,276
vCash: 50
A lesser Kesler ? That's good for me.

Jee is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 03:50 PM
  #31
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,296
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Future fatty



And lets just say, Vail should keep his gloves on.. the videos on youtube of his two fights are ugly..

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 03:56 PM
  #32
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Thanks for this!

Curious, where can we see your top 20 OHL list, so I know who was valued ahead of ihm from the OHL.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...try-draft.html

Brock is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 04:09 PM
  #33
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Future fatty



And lets just say, Vail should keep his gloves on.. the videos on youtube of his two fights are ugly..
This is EPIC.

To me he's in straight competition with Nattinen and Bournival!

Great pick

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 04:14 PM
  #34
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
According to THN:

After a disappointing start to his OHL career, Vail put himself in cpaable hands of Windsor trainer Joe Garland in the summer and the results were impressive.
Training alongside New Jersey Devils calder trophy candidate Adam Henrique and 2013 prospect Kerby Rychel, Vail was transformed. His point totals increased five-fold and he became highly effective in other aspects of the game.
This is how you develop players.

Kimota is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
  #35
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I know what you mean, but it's still interesting that the TSN top 60 profile described him as a generally safe pick, but with the potential to be more and thus a steal in the draft. Can't complain about that in a 4th round pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9830
I really like the last sentence in his profile..

Quote:
Has the potential to take his game to another level and perhaps be a steal in the draft.

sheed36 is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 04:27 PM
  #36
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,234
vCash: 500
We can now hope, hope and hope!!!!

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 04:29 PM
  #37
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
@94th, this could be a bit of steal.

Player 61 is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 06:10 PM
  #38
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Draft scenario:

Bergevin: "Ok, so we have grabbed some offensive players with character, Thrower, who is a mean defender. We now need some bottom six grit and smarts. Who is the best pick?"

Timmins: "Well Brady Vail is still there which is very shocking, but so is Kevin Roy, the phenom from the Lincoln Stars."

Bergevin: "Roy has a lot of talent, but we need to get bigger and grittier on our bottom six. Lets go with him."

Rise from the Ashes is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
  #39
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Draft scenario:

Bergevin: "Ok, so we have grabbed some offensive players with character, Thrower, who is a mean defender. We now need some bottom six grit and smarts. Who is the best pick?"

Timmins: "Well Brady Vail is still there which is very shocking, but so is Kevin Roy, the phenom from the Lincoln Stars."

Bergevin: "Roy has a lot of talent, but we need to get bigger and grittier on our bottom six. Lets go with him."
4th round phenom? I don't think so...haha

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:14 PM
  #40
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,296
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Draft scenario:

Bergevin: "Ok, so we have grabbed some offensive players with character, Thrower, who is a mean defender. We now need some bottom six grit and smarts. Who is the best pick?"

Timmins: "Well Brady Vail is still there which is very shocking, but so is Kevin Roy, the phenom from the Lincoln Stars."

Bergevin: "Roy has a lot of talent, but we need to get bigger and grittier on our bottom six. Lets go with him."
Timmins: Kevin Roy attended our combine in Montreal and he reminds me of Corey Locke.

Fun game.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:32 PM
  #41
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,761
vCash: 500
Brady Vail ‏@BradyVail
Had a awesome dinner tonight with the @CanadiensMTL It was great to meet the whole staff and draftees

HomaridII is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
  #42
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Brady Vail ‏@BradyVail

Had a awesome dinner tonight with the @CanadiensMTL It was great to meet the whole staff and draftees #habsfamily
latest tweet..

__________________
Interested in checking out 50+ years worth of covers from "The Hockey News?" Check out my collection here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1382901
Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:43 PM
  #43
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,296
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I feel like I need twitter to keep up with these kids now..

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
  #44
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I feel like I need twitter to keep up with these kids now..
lol

Well now that so many of them are on twitter, we'll need a separate thread for Habs Player's tweets.

HomaridII is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:45 PM
  #45
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I feel like I need twitter to keep up with these kids now..
BTW Gally has gained 10,000 followers in one day

HomaridII is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
  #46
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,296
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
BTW Gally has gained 10,000 followers in one day
Not surprising.. Just hopefully it isnt RDS following him.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 08:31 PM
  #47
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,484
vCash: 500
Not much to say about this pick. Pretty much the right player at pretty much the right spot, imo. I know TSN suggests he might be a steal even at 60, but I don't think he came anywhere close to 60 in my "rankings" for the mock. I'll definitely be watching his progress next year, considering he seemed to just come to terms with how he can use his body/size this past season (started throwing it around in front of everything). Wouldn't be surprised to see him reach PPG production, and further his progress defensively. He's assertive, committed, and versatile enough that it's really hard to peg his upper potential without getting a bit excited and labeling him a "possible steal (at 60)" (for example. )

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 08:36 PM
  #48
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,296
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Not much to say about this pick. Pretty much the right player at pretty much the right spot, imo. I know TSN suggests he might be a steal even at 60, but I don't think he came anywhere close to 60 in my "rankings" for the mock. I'll definitely be watching his progress next year, considering he seemed to just come to terms with how he can use his body/size this past season (started throwing it around in front of everything). Wouldn't be surprised to see him reach PPG production, and further his progress defensively. He's assertive, committed, and versatile enough that it's really hard to peg his upper potential without getting a bit excited and labeling him a "possible steal (at 60)" (for example. )
Lets hope his offensive potential can become..

Unvailed..

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 08:37 PM
  #49
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I had Vail ranked 19th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote.

Vail is a terrific two way centerman who projects excellently as a shutdown type of forward at the next level. Every night, Vail matched up against the opposition's top line and had the task of shutting them down. He has everything you'd look for in potential defensive stalwart. He's got size and he's aggressive in using it. He bodies forwards off the puck, is physical and in your face, works well in the corners, has a very active stick, and anticipates the play well. He's also a good skater, which allows him to be both an effective backchecker and penalty killer. Best of all, for all his tough defensive assignments, Vail actually managed to put up some impressive offensive numbers. With 22 goals, and 30 assists, he did his fair share of not only shutting down the opposition's best, but scoring on them too. He's at his best as a playmaker who is patient with the puck in the offensive end, and does well to find his teammates in scoring position, especially from behind the net after working the cycle. As a goal scorer, his shot is still developing, but he's not afraid to crash the net for rebounds and pay the price for dirty goals. Vail is probably going to be that guy who goes earlier than expected because NHL teams just love players like him.
Seen him once and noticed the same except not as much physicality as everyone raves about but you and other scouts have seen him plenty more times than I did.

That description is very appealing if he can be in the Richards/Kesler mold with less offense.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now  
Old
06-23-2012, 08:43 PM
  #50
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Not much to say about this pick. Pretty much the right player at pretty much the right spot, imo. I know TSN suggests he might be a steal even at 60, but I don't think he came anywhere close to 60 in my "rankings" for the mock. I'll definitely be watching his progress next year, considering he seemed to just come to terms with how he can use his body/size this past season (started throwing it around in front of everything). Wouldn't be surprised to see him reach PPG production, and further his progress defensively. He's assertive, committed, and versatile enough that it's really hard to peg his upper potential without getting a bit excited and labeling him a "possible steal (at 60)" (for example. )
I had Vail at 39.

Of course, I see more OHL than any other league, so that's probably a reason for me having him so high.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.