HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs select Brady Vail - 94th overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
I hope we draft his teammate next summer, Kerby Rychel. What a year he had.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Brock

I had Vail ranked 19th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote.

Vail is a terrific two way centerman who projects excellently as a shutdown type of forward at the next level. Every night, Vail matched up against the opposition's top line and had the task of shutting them down. He has everything you'd look for in potential defensive stalwart. He's got size and he's aggressive in using it. He bodies forwards off the puck, is physical and in your face, works well in the corners, has a very active stick, and anticipates the play well. He's also a good skater, which allows him to be both an effective backchecker and penalty killer. Best of all, for all his tough defensive assignments, Vail actually managed to put up some impressive offensive numbers. With 22 goals, and 30 assists, he did his fair share of not only shutting down the opposition's best, but scoring on them too. He's at his best as a playmaker who is patient with the puck in the offensive end, and does well to find his teammates in scoring position, especially from behind the net after working the cycle. As a goal scorer, his shot is still developing, but he's not afraid to crash the net for rebounds and pay the price for dirty goals. Vail is probably going to be that guy who goes earlier than expected because NHL teams just love players like him.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Vail is a terrific two way centerman who projects excellently as a shutdown type of forward at the next level. Every night, Vail matched up against the opposition's top line and had the task of shutting them down. He has everything you'd look for in potential defensive stalwart. He's got size and he's aggressive in using it. He bodies forwards off the puck, is physical and in your face, works well in the corners, has a very active stick, and anticipates the play well. He's also a good skater, which allows him to be both an effective backchecker and penalty killer. Best of all, for all his tough defensive assignments, Vail actually managed to put up some impressive offensive numbers. With 22 goals, and 30 assists, he did his fair share of not only shutting down the opposition's best, but scoring on them too. He's at his best as a playmaker who is patient with the puck in the offensive end, and does well to find his teammates in scoring position, especially from behind the net after working the cycle. As a goal scorer, his shot is still developing, but he's not afraid to crash the net for rebounds and pay the price for dirty goals. Vail is probably going to be that guy who goes earlier than expected because NHL teams just love players like him.
Thanks for this!

Curious, where can we see your top 20 OHL list, so I know who was valued ahead of ihm from the OHL.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
TennisMenace

awesome write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
According to THN:

After a disappointing start to his OHL career, Vail put himself in cpaable hands of Windsor trainer Joe Garland in the summer and the results were impressive.
Training alongside New Jersey Devils calder trophy candidate Adam Henrique and 2013 prospect Kerby Rychel, Vail was transformed. His point totals increased five-fold and he became highly effective in other aspects of the game.
"I really like him" said one scout. "To me hes a third liner in the NHL. He does the little things right that coaches love. You can match him up against a top line and he'll do the job."
A teen phenom who played in the USHL at 15 alongside teammate Nick Ebert, Vail has developed into the type of player a coach throws over the boards to a protect a one-goal lead with a minute to play.
He has also become an important penalty-killed for the squad, but still post decent offensive numbers.
I'm loving this kid more and more.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
A lesser Kesler ? That's good for me.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:50 PM
WeThreeKings

Future fatty

And lets just say, Vail should keep his gloves on.. the videos on youtube of his two fights are ugly..

Old
06-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Brock

Quote:
Thanks for this!

Curious, where can we see your top 20 OHL list, so I know who was valued ahead of ihm from the OHL.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...try-draft.html

Old
06-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Future fatty

And lets just say, Vail should keep his gloves on.. the videos on youtube of his two fights are ugly..
This is EPIC.

To me he's in straight competition with Nattinen and Bournival!

Great pick

Old
06-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
According to THN:

After a disappointing start to his OHL career, Vail put himself in cpaable hands of Windsor trainer Joe Garland in the summer and the results were impressive.
Training alongside New Jersey Devils calder trophy candidate Adam Henrique and 2013 prospect Kerby Rychel, Vail was transformed. His point totals increased five-fold and he became highly effective in other aspects of the game.
This is how you develop players.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I know what you mean, but it's still interesting that the TSN top 60 profile described him as a generally safe pick, but with the potential to be more and thus a steal in the draft. Can't complain about that in a 4th round pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9830
I really like the last sentence in his profile..

Quote:
Has the potential to take his game to another level and perhaps be a steal in the draft.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:27 PM
ChoseLa

We can now hope, hope and hope!!!!

Old
06-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
@94th, this could be a bit of steal.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Draft scenario:

Bergevin: "Ok, so we have grabbed some offensive players with character, Thrower, who is a mean defender. We now need some bottom six grit and smarts. Who is the best pick?"

Timmins: "Well Brady Vail is still there which is very shocking, but so is Kevin Roy, the phenom from the Lincoln Stars."

Bergevin: "Roy has a lot of talent, but we need to get bigger and grittier on our bottom six. Lets go with him."

Old
06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Draft scenario:

Bergevin: "Ok, so we have grabbed some offensive players with character, Thrower, who is a mean defender. We now need some bottom six grit and smarts. Who is the best pick?"

Timmins: "Well Brady Vail is still there which is very shocking, but so is Kevin Roy, the phenom from the Lincoln Stars."

Bergevin: "Roy has a lot of talent, but we need to get bigger and grittier on our bottom six. Lets go with him."
4th round phenom? I don't think so...haha

Old
06-23-2012, 07:14 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Draft scenario:

Timmins: Kevin Roy attended our combine in Montreal and he reminds me of Corey Locke.

Fun game.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:32 PM
HomaridII

Brady Vail ‏@BradyVail
Had a awesome dinner tonight with the @CanadiensMTL It was great to meet the whole staff and draftees

Old
06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Brady Vail ‏@BradyVail

Had a awesome dinner tonight with the @CanadiensMTL It was great to meet the whole staff and draftees #habsfamily
latest tweet..

06-23-2012, 07:43 PM
WeThreeKings

I feel like I need twitter to keep up with these kids now..

Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
lol

Well now that so many of them are on twitter, we'll need a separate thread for Habs Player's tweets.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:45 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
BTW Gally has gained 10,000 followers in one day

Old
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
BTW Gally has gained 10,000 followers in one day
Not surprising.. Just hopefully it isnt RDS following him.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Not much to say about this pick. Pretty much the right player at pretty much the right spot, imo. I know TSN suggests he might be a steal even at 60, but I don't think he came anywhere close to 60 in my "rankings" for the mock. I'll definitely be watching his progress next year, considering he seemed to just come to terms with how he can use his body/size this past season (started throwing it around in front of everything). Wouldn't be surprised to see him reach PPG production, and further his progress defensively. He's assertive, committed, and versatile enough that it's really hard to peg his upper potential without getting a bit excited and labeling him a "possible steal (at 60)" (for example. )

Old
06-23-2012, 08:36 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Not much to say about this pick. Pretty much the right player at pretty much the right spot, imo. I know TSN suggests he might be a steal even at 60, but I don't think he came anywhere close to 60 in my "rankings" for the mock. I'll definitely be watching his progress next year, considering he seemed to just come to terms with how he can use his body/size this past season (started throwing it around in front of everything). Wouldn't be surprised to see him reach PPG production, and further his progress defensively. He's assertive, committed, and versatile enough that it's really hard to peg his upper potential without getting a bit excited and labeling him a "possible steal (at 60)" (for example. )
Lets hope his offensive potential can become..

Unvailed..

Old
06-23-2012, 08:37 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Seen him once and noticed the same except not as much physicality as everyone raves about but you and other scouts have seen him plenty more times than I did.

That description is very appealing if he can be in the Richards/Kesler mold with less offense.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:43 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I had Vail at 39.

Of course, I see more OHL than any other league, so that's probably a reason for me having him so high.

Closed Thread