HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fredrik Johansson

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Fredrik Johansson

I was doing some reading on McKeen's, and they have good things to say about Johansson, even though his stats haven't exactly been spectacular. They say he's probably Sweden's "best-kept secret" and is an "intriguing package of smartness and skill." They mention that his stock has definitely risen dramatically this season. Good to hear.

Old
11-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I was doing some reading on McKeen's, and they have good things to say about Johansson, even though his stats haven't exactly been spectacular. They say he's probably Sweden's "best-kept secret" and is an "intriguing package of smartness and skill." They mention that his stock has definitely risen dramatically this season. Good to hear.
Funny, I've been thinking the exact opposite lately. I guess that's how misleading stats can be.

Last season in junior he was scoring 1.5ppg, now that he's playing against men he's scoring like a goaltender. Literally. I stopped following his progress altogether.

Old
11-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Yep. Stats obviously don't tell it all. Over on the Sweden board they think he's a lock to make their World Junior team, with Umicevic as a maybe. Predatore (the resident Sweden expert) said that Joukov would have probably made the team, but he's not a Swedish citizen, and he might want to play for Russia instead.

Old
11-28-2003, 07:45 AM
barto

Quote:
Yep. Stats obviously don't tell it all. Over on the Sweden board they think he's a lock to make their World Junior team, with Umicevic as a maybe. Predatore (the resident Sweden expert) said that Joukov would have probably made the team, but he's not a Swedish citizen, and he might want to play for Russia instead.
Very cool...obviously it would be great to see as many Oilers prospects make their respective country's WJC teams...not only for their development, but so that we could get a chance to see them in action! We all remember Rita's stock rising after a great WJC a few years back, but it's nice to see a number of our guys across the 'pond' getting some favorable reviews.

Bart

Old
11-28-2003, 09:15 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Predatore (the resident Sweden expert) said that Joukov would have probably made the team, but he's not a Swedish citizen, and he might want to play for Russia instead.
He still doesn't have that cleared up? I thought that was his problem last year too...

Old
11-28-2003, 09:31 PM
honkey

Will give you some thought around Fredrik Johansson, I have only seen him play 1 time this season and then he put together a pretty descent game. He's currently playing on 4th line between another high draft pick(Loui Eriksson) and veteran player Peter Strom. He's team Vastra Frolunda is defending champions of SEL, but this season has been sometime up but mostly down. You can compare it abit with Dallas Stars starts in the Western Conference, that means they have played some relly bad games(especially on the road). But it's in those games Fredrik have got the most playing time, cause when the 2 top-lines had some tough nites the 4th line have stepped up and played som great hockey.

I can say this, don't be worried. The coach in Vastra Frolunda Conny Evensson is ranked among the 3 best in Sweden and he has shown good sense letting young players develop. But i guess we have to wait until next year before Fredrik can take next step. Cause this season Alexander Steen have had a real breakthru and his only centering 3rd line, he has made his debut on national team. And the other top two lines consist of purley top player which all are members om the national teams.

So as you understand this season Fredrik Johansson will not be able to get much icetime on special teams or other key situations. But as i said before Evensson has made the other young player such as Joel Lundqvist, Alexander Steen, Jari Tolsa and this season outstandning forward Magnus Kahnberg make the jump from Junior to the Senior.

So as an Oiler-fan i wouldn't be scared when seeing those stats. And Sweden are alot different than NHL(guess Juniors too) when handing out assist on the plays.

Closed Thread