HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Have Faith in Reimer

Old
06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Have Faith in Reimer

I don't see why many people here are saying directly or indirectly "It's Luongo or bust"

Quote:
"We are encouraged by the medical reports on James Reimer, he has a clean bill of health," said Burke. "He's working out like a madman and he's made it very clear to us that he has no intention of giving up the net.
Brian Burke today.

If the 40 odd games last season he played wasn't enough to show he was a good goaltender on a consistent basis, why is the 30 odd games he played in a year he got a concussion spell that he is not good enough to be a #1? It doesn't make sense.

People here often say we don't have Ryan Miller, Carey Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, middle of the pack guys like Lehtonen, Howard etc.

Jonathan Quick didn't become an elite goalie overnight. It takes hard work and dedication, something James Reimer has. Now before you call me a homer, I'm not saying Reimer will be an elite goalie, I just think that writing the season off just because Reimer could possibly be our #1 goalie is stupid.

Not too long ago Jonathan Quick was seen as a placeholder for Jonathan Bernier who would assume the #1 role. Things change from year to year.

We've got a new coach who will employ defense in his system as much as offense. Reimer will have a lot to prove and I think he'll show his mettle.

If we don't give a goalie an opportunity to go through the good and bad, we'll never find a goalie good enough to be a #1. We can't just keep recycling goalies year to year.

He'll bounce back this season without a doubt.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:12 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

vCash: 500
Uh no

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:12 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Smoke Meat Pete believes in Screimer!

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:14 PM
IBeL13f

Absolutely. I definitely haven't given up on Reimer. I like to give these kids a few years to figure everything out. Reimer's shown he can be a top-notch goalie. Can't wait to see how he fares in Carlyle's system this year.

IBeL13f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

I'd rather go with the two kids, Then pay a awful price for Luongo.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:15 PM
joffreyLUUPUL

He was playing really good until he got injured. I really hope he can return to form

joffreyLUUPUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:16 PM
ThreeHundred

This is why we suck

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Toque*

If Allaire's in town he's doomed!

Toque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
This is why we suck
Yes we suck because we haven't given up on a goalie who is 24 years old and has showed he can be a good goalie.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:19 PM
mapes

People also forget about Scrivens. Best goalie in the AHL this year.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:19 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
This is why we suck
I think I agree with you.... you mean all the people who dont have the patience to see out a player's development right? THat is why we suck right?

I believe in Reimer too.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:22 PM
ITM

I believe in Optimus Reim.

Now where's those variant Dark Knight-esque marketing campaign gifs where he's holding up a button?

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Long-term, I have faith for Reimer. Next season? Not so much.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toque View Post
If Allaire's in town he's doomed!
Exactly. I remember listening to Blue Lunch during the season and Jamie Mclennan said during the first year he though Allaire complemented Reimers game. Whereas the second season Allaire wanted to change his game.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:42 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't see why many people here are saying directly or indirectly "It's Luongo or bust"

Brian Burke today.

If the 40 odd games last season he played wasn't enough to show he was a good goaltender on a consistent basis, why is the 30 odd games he played in a year he got a concussion spell that he is not good enough to be a #1? It doesn't make sense.

People here often say we don't have Ryan Miller, Carey Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, middle of the pack guys like Lehtonen, Howard etc.

Jonathan Quick didn't become an elite goalie overnight. It takes hard work and dedication, something James Reimer has. Now before you call me a homer, I'm not saying Reimer will be an elite goalie, I just think that writing the season off just because Reimer could possibly be our #1 goalie is stupid.

Not too long ago Jonathan Quick was seen as a placeholder for Jonathan Bernier who would assume the #1 role. Things change from year to year.

We've got a new coach who will employ defense in his system as much as offense. Reimer will have a lot to prove and I think he'll show his mettle.

If we don't give a goalie an opportunity to go through the good and bad, we'll never find a goalie good enough to be a #1. We can't just keep recycling goalies year to year.

I think the lesson of the last few seasons might be any/all of
1. Don't underestimate the importance of steady league average goaltending to making the playoffs (Reimer/Gus, Giggy/Gus, Toskala/???)
2. Having a back up plan if things don't follow the best possible outcome (i.e. last year going with two unproven goalies)
3. Consider a capable veteran goalie to allow the developing goalie to gain experience in a lower pressure environment (i.e. something similar to Theodore in Florida or who is holding the for until Markstrom or Anderson in Ottawa while (Lehner or Bishop develop).

Sure the leaf team can go with Reimer/Scrivens but best case is they give the leafs average goaltending. More realistically they struggle to achieve 0.910 and just fall short of stopping enough goals to finish 9th. And worse case, there is a repeat of the last few seasons.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:

Brian Burke today.

Problem is we go from a small amount of games isn't enough to guarantee how good he'll be, then another small amount of games isn't enough to say he isn't good enough, and then the big conclusion is that he'll bounce back without question? It was questionable to go into last season with two inexperienced goalies and that remains the same issue going into this upcoming season.

Now are right that we'll never develop a goalie good enough to be the top guy if we don't just let them play. But we can certainly find #1 goalies without that. Like back when we brought in Belfour, boom number 1 goalie right there. Bringing in a #1 goalie gives you exactly that.

We may not be doomed if we don't find another goalie to add to this situation, but we're hardly guaranteed to have a good run either. Right now the goaltending situation is the major weak point going into next season. Whether we add Luongo and then have a #1 goalie, or add an experienced guy as a safety net, we need to add someone. I like Reimer, but not going to tie the result of next season solely to him.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:54 PM
bleedingblue1

We have no faith in Reimer because I can score on his glove hand and I have not played ice hockey in 10 years. Reimer is figured out. Easy to score on him.

bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Pi

We did go the veteran goalie route. We had Giggy for that very purpose.

In hindsight it was a mistake going with Reimer and Gus to start the season but we had already tried the veteran goalie approach and Giguere wasn't really that good here.

Leafs brass probably thought two goalies fighting for the #1 job would get them to become even more competitive but Reimer got a concussion right off the bat.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:03 PM
number72

Quote:
We did go the veteran goalie route. We had Giggy for that very purpose.

In hindsight it was a mistake going with Reimer and Gus to start the season but we had already tried the veteran goalie approach and Giguere wasn't really that good here.

Leafs brass probably thought two goalies fighting for the #1 job would get them to become even more competitive but Reimer got a concussion right off the bat.
The leafs acquired a struggling goalie in giggy hoping he would excel with a change in scenery but who than injured his groin and played the season hurt. Look at Giggy's numbers when he was healthy last season.

The lowest risk path is competent veteran goalie who has proven track record of NHL success. Why would anyone expect an unproven goalie to play start playing exceptional? Scrivens/Reimer could work out but it is risky because have no track record of NHL goaltending success.

What is the "fall" back if things don't work? Sure you can trade for a goalie but by than the leafs are pretty much out of a playoff spot.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
The leafs acquired a struggling goalie in giggy hoping he would excel with a change in scenery but who than injured his groin and played the season hurt. Look at Giggy's numbers when he was healthy last season.

The lowest risk path is competent veteran goalie who has proven track record of NHL success. Why would anyone expect an unproven goalie to play start playing exceptional? Scrivens/Reimer could work out but it is risky because have no track record of NHL goaltending success.

What is the "fall" back if things don't work? Sure you can trade for a goalie but by than the leafs are pretty much out of a playoff spot.
I don't mind having a veteran back up acquired through trade at all. I was just saying that it isn't the end if Leafs don't get Luongo.

Luongo didn't take the Panthers to the playoffs as long as he was there so it's not like getting Luongo means the Leafs are a lock for the playoffs.

It's going to be a battle with or without Luongo in the fold. Burke thinks the price is way too high for Luongo especially considering only two teams are after him...and Florida are probably mildly interested.

It's really just the Leafs and Canucks. Is he going to stay there and watch Cory Schneider play in the playoffs while he's getting benched again? I don't think so.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:16 PM
number72

Quote:
I don't mind having a veteran back up acquired through trade at all. I was just saying that it isn't the end if Leafs don't get Luongo.

Luongo didn't take the Panthers to the playoffs as long as he was there so it's not like getting Luongo means the Leafs are a lock for the playoffs.

It's going to be a battle with or without Luongo in the fold. Burke thinks the price is way too high for Luongo especially considering only two teams are after him...and Florida are probably mildly interested.

It's really just the Leafs and Canucks. Is he going to stay there and watch Cory Schneider play in the playoffs while he's getting benched again? I don't think so.
Sure but the leafs didn't have success pursuing Vokoun or any other available goalies. Vokoun for a 7th - I'm not sure why the leafs were not over that.

The fact that Burke allowed things to get to the point where Luongo is the only choice is unfortunate. He did the same last year not pursuing Theodore who joined the Panthers (and we with Monster/Reimer based on faith). And now it looks like the real play is Luongo (and maybe clemmenson though I'm not sure if he is enough for the leafs even though he played well for the Panthers last year).

Like I said Reimer/Scrivens may work out but I suspect that tandem struggles to put up 0.910 goaltending. Even Price had a few years with Halak before proving he was capable to mind the net. I think a vet sets up the team for both short term and long term success in net.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:16 PM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
I think I agree with you.... you mean all the people who dont have the patience to see out a player's development right? THat is why we suck right?

I believe in Reimer too.
No. Cause we need a better goalie

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:18 PM
BlueBaron

Biron wouldn't be a bad fit if we can't get a true number one.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:21 PM
diceman934

Reimer did not have a great start to the season, he looked shaky and we got wins because of the goals we scored against a weak set of teams.

He may turn out to be decent but he has many holes. He tracks pucks poorly and plays to deep in the net. Save selection has not improved in the two years that I have seen him play, this has resulted in poor rebound control.

I hope he is the number one goalie that we need but thus far he has proven that he is not.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Sittler 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
I'd rather go with the two kids, Then pay a awful price for Luongo.
I second that

Sittler 27 is offline   Reply With Quote