Notices

Jets acquire Gustavsson for Conditional 7th round

Old
06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
jamiebez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Interesting .... Mason sure sounded like he has accepted his role as a backup in Winnipeg, based on reading the paper today, and that he really wants to stay here.... So I don't see the reason for picking up Gus unless the Jets are convinced they are going to lose Pavs. You want a guy like Mason around to help teach the younger guys work ethic.
I'm pretty sure Mason was going to be shown the door no matter what. The coaching staff didn't have confidence in him - they rode Pavs too hard (by Noel's own admission) and that can only be because they didn't like what they saw in Mason.

I had no idea Gustavsson was a UFA. Seems silly to even give up a 7th rounder, but it's as low risk as it gets, so I guess I can't complain.

jamiebez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:55 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
(...)

I had no idea Gustavsson was a UFA. Seems silly to even give up a 7th rounder, but it's as low risk as it gets, so I guess I can't complain.
To me, it almost feels like a "good will" gesture, prior to discussing a contract. If the Jets were the only team willing to part with some asset for him simply to gain the ability to negotiate with him prior to him going UFA, then that says something to Gustavsson. They (as all other teams) could have simply waited until he was a UFA.

Just guessing here...

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 06-23-2012 at 02:21 PM.
YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:02 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Gus should play well in Winnipeg. I can see him playing 30 games a year or more as long as he gets as far away as possible from Francois Allaire.

LeafsColts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:23 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Thanks. One of the tough things about living in Winnipeg is that we never get to see any Leafs games or Leafs coverage, appeciate your report.
Post of the thread. Thank you for this.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Cheddar View Post
I'm I Gustavsson fan and I think if he signs this could be a huge steal for the Jets. Not to mention if Pavelec does leave the Jets we would need another NHL goalie. It might just be a bartering chip to use in the Pavelec contract talks but I think that neither Mason or Gustavsson are starting goalies, but could possibly do well in a platooning situation.
I'm a fan too, but I think his challenges more come from this situation. You will never get the best of him like this. He is a straight out, lots of work goalie. The more he plays, the better he will be.

If he is a backup, or platooning, I don't think he's the guy for you. If Pavs walks, you probably will be surprised, pleasantly.

Good Luck, Jonas, the fans will be more merciful in the 'Peg

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:21 PM
SCP Guy

vCash: 50
If he will play for low $$$$$$ then it makes sense to sign him as he is 27 years old I think so that works in his favor

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:39 PM
ghost88*

Does this mean Mason is out of the picture? Or is Gustavsson our AHL Goalie?

ghost88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

He played well until the New Jersey game (then the entire team collapsed). I think he can be good for you guys but I don't think he could handle the pressure and the Leaf players didn't feel comfortable in front of him.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:24 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Post of the thread. Thank you for this.
that was comedic gold

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
that was comedic gold
And totally lost on him. Makes it even better.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
XO

I'm glad he finally is out of Toronto. I still believe he'll be a true no1 goalie in the NHL.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:48 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Slightly better than a Shooter Tutor I suppose.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
A conditional 7th rounder has to be as close to a bag of pucks as you can get?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Leafs fan here,

Gus isn't a bad goalie, but he has a horrible habit of allowing one brutal goal a game. I think he will be solid for you guys, probably better then he was in TO.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
A conditional 7th rounder has to be as close to a bag of pucks as you can get?
It's arguable a bag of pucks are more of a "sure thing".

You know what you're getting with a bag of pucks.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:36 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
I personally think this was a very low risk chance that Chevy took. If Goose doesn't sign with us, we lose nothing. This gets us to talk to him 1 1/2 weeks early and possibly use him as a bit of a leverage post in the talks with Pavelec's agent. He's still an NHL capable goalie who will likely flourish away from the center of the universe.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:10 PM
gholas

good scenario SIGNED:
We drafted a really good goalie in the 7th round and we got him 1 year early.

bad scenario SIGNED:
We have to give up picks to have a chance to sign UFA goalies that seem to be on the down of their careers; also this means our goalie prospects still suck to much for the NHL.

worst scenario UNSIGNED:
He goes to KHL to play starter and Pav is backup.

Cup half-full scenario: for the brainwashed out there, at least we get to see more of the Jets blocker and pads!

Seems a bad taste might have been left in everyones mouths with this situation already.

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:13 PM
gholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

Plus you never hear of a bag of pucks is on the block....

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:18 PM
YearsintheWilderness

If Gustavsson signs in Winnipeg, I would like to see him hold a press conference and declare that the asinine "the Monster" nickname that was foisted on him by freakish, bipolar Leafs fans is now dead.

The weird hype that surrounds any, absolutely any player who signs in Toronto is surreal.

Good luck to Gustavsson.

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

"Obviously, we had high hopes that we were trading for a real bag of pucks here. Unfortunately, it was never able to become more than a pile of flattened rubber discs, so we felt it was time to part ways. We wish the discs the best of luck in their career."

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:20 PM
lewis94

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
don't be happy but this he's been with the leafs for 3 years maybe 4 i lost track but in all that time he had ONE good month. if he starts in winnipeg (asuming Pavalec bolts to the KHL which hopefully does NOT happen) the jets WILL be drafting top 5 in 2013.
Don't listen to him. Gus had stretches where he looked like a world-beater. He struggled with consistency. The Toronto fishbowl ate him up and he had no support from his D, not to mention his circumstances (losing both his parents and the heart problems).

I see him having a good NHL career.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 06-23-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: discuss post, not poster
lewis94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Ari91

Leafs fans here to give you some of my thoughts on Gus. Unlike many Leafs fans, I still see the potential in Gus and I've always had the feeling that if Gus had any shot of proving his worth as an NHL calibre goalie, it most likely would not be in a Leafs uniform. I might ramble a bit but hopefully my post is worthwhile to anyone interested in knowing what Gus is like.

Gus' best attributes are his size and athleticism in the net. I've always wondered how working with Allaire has affected his game as Allaire is very focused on positional goaltending while Gus is very much the opposite of that. I think that Gus' best games were the ones where he stopped 'thinking' about what he should be doing and simply allow himself to read the play and react instinctively to it. If you have a goalie coach that can work and encourage that style of play, I think you might see Gus' brilliance more often than we Leafs fans did.

One of Gus' bad points is that in a single game, you can see the best and worst of him. He can make brilliant save after brilliant save only to allow a weak goal at a really bad time in the game. Gus did have a good stretch in the season for the Leafs, but at one point in the season, the commentators mentioned that Gus had the second most goal support of all the goalies in the league. Tim Thomas was the only goalie that had more than him. His winning record wasn't solely by means of having excellent games (he certainly did have some standout performances in the season) but other times he had his team bail him out offensively. If the Jets have above average offensive output, then this might not be a problem.

Also, over the years I've found that Gus best performs when he's given a string of starts to help build his confidence and carry forward momentum. Having him sit on the bench for several games and then randomly give him a start and then back on the bench again for the next game is not a setup that seems to work well for him. I'm assuming that Gus was acquired as backup so that might be a bit concerning.

I really like the guy based on his interviews and just knowing his personal story so I do hope that he finds success. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up. I don't mind if he goes beastmode for another team, I just hope that he doesn't become one of the many goalies that constantly burn the Leafs when they play against him, lol.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:04 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
"Obviously, we had high hopes that we were trading for a real bag of pucks here. Unfortunately, it was never able to become more than a pile of flattened rubber discs, so we felt it was time to part ways. We wish the discs the best of luck in their career."

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearsintheWilderness View Post
If Gustavsson signs in Winnipeg, I would like to see him hold a press conference and declare that the asinine "the Monster" nickname that was foisted on him by freakish, bipolar Leafs fans is now dead.

The weird hype that surrounds any, absolutely any player who signs in Toronto is surreal.

Good luck to Gustavsson.

He got the monter nickname long before Toronto. He's called the monster because of his freakishly good play in SEL.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:42 AM
YearsintheWilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
He got the monter nickname long before Toronto. He's called the monster because of his freakishly good play in SEL.
I stand corrected.

However, I still consider it a foolish nickname.

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote