HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Detroit Red Wing Draft Class of 2012

Old
06-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Spitfire11

vCash: 500
Not such a bad draft after all.

Frk and Athanasiou seem worth the risk. Hopefully Athanasiou will be a traded and get a fresh start.

They will likely have eons before they need to sign the last 3 picks, and love the size and grit they add.

Spitfire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:58 PM
ZetterBurger

I don't see how you can bash any of these picks. Good draft class when you consider that there was no 1st rounder. Early int he season when we still had the pick I was hoping we would get Frk. I don't think we have any sure things here, but I do think we got at least three players who have the potential to be outstanding if they can figure it all out.

B+ from me.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Harnessed in Slums

I think the Red Wings were all about addressing needs in this draft. With nearly a half dozen very solid d-man prospects and with Riley Sheahan looking like he may never reach the offensive potential he was expected to reach it made sense to go after guys who are scorers.

Martin Frk: I like the fact RWC called him a bigger Pulu. If you can't skate you'd better have size and it looks like Frk does have a solid frame. He's also a right-handed shot which is in short supply and corresponds with the filling needs philosophy of this draft. This right here is the part of Frk's game I think is most appealing as a prospect. From the Hockey Writers:

Quote:
He has excellent puck skills with a lot of flash to his game and looks very coordinated while handling the puck. Frk is also good at handling the puck while getting checked, driving the net or getting his stick on loose pucks. He has one of if not the best shot in the draft with a one-timer that rockets off his tape that is equivalent to the shots of elite finishers.
Jake Paterson: Goalie is an obvious need when you look at the complete lack of goaltending talent in the pipeline. There's Petr Mrazek and...absolutely nothing. I don't like using a draft pick this early on a goalie but I am intrigued by the prospect of this being Chris Osgood's pick. Does Ozzy know how to draft goalies? We're about to find out. I posted a quote from this article that indicates Paterson is working with the coach who brought Ryan Miller along.

I don't like the pick but there are a few interesting elements that will make it worthwhile to watch Paterson's development.

Andreas Anthanasiou: I am definitely concerned about him being benched during the playoffs as a healthy scratch. That screams Landon Ferraro drama queen. The biggest positive is that AA addresses a complete lack of team speed. Darren Helm is our only regular skater who has elite speed. We have guys like Filppula who have good speed but it's been a while since we've had a burner who also oozes offensive skill. I hope he can get his head on straight because if he does he'll be one of the most intriguing offensive prospects we've had in a very long time. Left handed shot.

Mike McKee: It's amazing that if you are simply tall and use your size people will fall all over themselves with excitement. Our buddy at the Lincoln Stars blog indicates McKee was originally slated to go to Northeastern but then changed his commitment to WMU. He's an over-ager and has bounced around a bit. I think if he actually winds up at WMU it will work out well for him as Andy Murray is doing a great job there. He's a left handed shot, whatever that's worth given he's not much of an offensive defenseman.

James De Haas: Left handed shooter who seems to have some potential as an offensive defenseman. He put up a pretty good number of points both during the regular season and playoffs. He's headed off to college so we have plenty of time to see what he's got.

Rasmus Bodin: No idea if this guy will even become a Johan Ryno who at least tantalized us by getting to the solid prospect level before flaking out. Bodin averaged a point per game and if he has some offensive potential then he becomes a very intriguing prospect. No idea if the guy can skate reasonably well. Tough to get too up or too down a guy like this where there just isn't any scouting on him at this point.

The only draft pick I'm not intrigued by at this point is McKee and at least he's going to WMU so there's a chance he'll develop into a solid d-man. Ever other guy shows either high level or at least decent offensive skill and we drafted a position of need with Paterson.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:12 PM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

a canadien scout named Simon Boivert says Andreas Athanasiou will be one of the greatest steals in NHL draft history. and counting... that's what we do!

HC Bienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special One View Post
a canadien scout named Simon Boivert says Andreas Athanasiou will be one of the greatest steals in NHL draft history. and counting... that's what we do!
That...would not suck.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:39 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special One View Post
Let's hope Simon Boivert isn't a total renob. I like him to start though!

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Let's hope Simon Boivert isn't a total renob. I like him to start though!
He's a scout for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. Sounds like a team Stephen Colbert could get behind! Here's the quote:

https://twitter.com/simonsnake70/sta...50307004547073

Old
06-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

good write-up on Bodin with some perspective from Hakan Andersson>>

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2012/...n-final-round/

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Boomhower

Frk sounds like Great value where we got him.

De Haas seems like he is the ideal type to develope in the college game for a while. Good with the puck and a skilled defenseman, not small either. This pick is growning on me. Kind of a Brendan Smith light type of pick... Light because he isn't quite as good offensively, or as physical as Brendan.

They both played in the same league in their draft year. Smith scored 12 goals, De Haas had 10 this year. Decent long term project.

McKee, I'd like to see switch paths and play for the Ottawa 67's next year. I'm just not sure his style is suited for the college game. Atleast they did switch things up with this pick! but I'm not overly optimistic.

Rasmus Bodin will be a great project to follow, Obscure off the board pick in the 7th round... why not? He could be absolutely terrible, but even solid junior players taken in the 7th round, don't usually make it. Good article, sounds like he'll either flourish or buckle next season from what Hakan said.

Last edited by Boomhower: 06-23-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:03 PM
ChadS

Here's my view at today's picks:

#49 Martin Frk, RW, 6'0"/193
- Possibly my favorite pick of the draft, since it wasn't a very deep draft but we still got a kid with undeniable high-end potential this late. Looks a lot like Pulkkinen but he's bigger and a better skater even though that's listed as a weakness of his. So basically Pulkkinen with a better chance of making the NHL. He's also been quite impressive with the national team, for example putting up a point per game and being one of the Czechs best players at the 10-11 WJC as a 17 year old. I remember spotting him back then and thought he was going to be a very high pick. The Wings seem to not be afraid of taking guys who slide because of injury issues in their draft year (Tvrdon, Pulkkinen...).

#80 Jake Paterson, G, 6'0.75"/176
- I was expecting a goalie to be picked at some stage but not this early on. Central Scouting had him ranked as the 3rd best NA goalie and apparently this pick was all Osgood. We'll see if he's any good at scouting young goalies, personally I'm not too impressed but he's got two years to prove me wrong. The OHL's history with goalies does not support this pick

#110 Andreas Athanasiou, C/LW, 6'0"/177
- This pick is all about high-end potential and at #110 you can take a chance on that. Great skating and skills, but a lot of people seem to think a change of scenery to a smaller team and a bigger role would be of great benefit for him, and I agree. Watching his highlights, his skating really stands out and that alone is a great building block for his development. He, just like Frk, was a top ranked player coming into this year but fell a long way down. On CS's list, he dropped from the mid-season's #24 to the final ranking's #40.

#140 Mike McKee, D, 6'4"/232
- First of all I want to say that I think it's great that they decided to draft some real big boys. But drafting a one-dimensional, unranked overager already in the 5th makes you wonder if they actually thought there were other teams after him? His penalty minute totals from this season are pretty crazy and he's going to have to calm down at least a bit because that amount just cannot be good for your team. He's got to have some skill because otherwise the Wings would not have picked him and his point totals from previous seasons also reflect this. Glad he's going to WMU so the Wings will have a good look at him in the future.

#170 James De Haas, D, 6'2"/200
Another big D-man but this kid seems to be more than just a stay-at-home bruiser. Apparently he's not going to Clarkson until 2013 which seems a bit weird since he already seems physically mature and had the most points on his team among d-men even though he's not known for his puck skills. 10 goals is also pretty good from a d-man. Ranked #175 among NA-skater by CS. Quite hard to say much about him but we'll see what he turned into in 5 years from now.

#200 Rasmus Bodin, LW, 6'6"/207
- Obviously this is probably going to be the pick discussed most on this board because it's another one of Håkan's never heard Swedes. And this kid is really unheard of, since it's hard to find any info on him online. RWC have some comments from Håkan, who's apparently the only NHL scout seen him play and who got him the try-out with HV71: http://www.redwingscentral.com/2012/...n-final-round/

Since I have no life, I went through all his games from 2011-2012 and here's how his season went:
- During the autumn, he divided time between the Div.1 team and the U18 team. U18: 12 games on the top two lines, 4+5=9, 34 PIM, 26 SOG, -1. Div.1: 20 games mainly on the 3rd and 4th line, 3+7=10, 18 PIM, 19 SOG, +7.
- During the spring, he only played with the U18 team and stepped up in terms of production: 17 games on the top two lines, 5+12=17, 60 PIM, 40 SOG, +13.

Btw, we have two 7th rounders next year. They should just automatically give them to Håkan.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
good write-up on Bodin with some perspective from Hakan Andersson>>

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2012/...n-final-round/

here's what really stands out to me..

Quote:
Although Andersson guesses he might be the only NHL scout who watched Bodin play last season, he didn’t want to pass on the big Swedish left-winger’s combination of skating and work ethic.

“For his size and age, he’s a very good skater — he’s not awkward like some guys are that age when they get big,” Andersson said. “He’s got good speed and he really works hard all the time. He plays with good intensity and he works, he works, he works.”

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:29 PM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

#49 Martin Frk, RW, 6'0"/193

Quote:
The fact that Frk missed most of the season, skipping the World Junior U20 Championship in the process, certainly hurt his draft value and pushed him out the top-15. However, a good post-season run with the Mooseheads during which he recorded 5 goals and 6 assists for 11 points in 17 contests.
I guess his conditionning is the biggest issue, but that can be fixed quickly. Give him a summer with Downie / Draper, he'll be fine!

http://redwingscentral.com/forums/vi...22&view=unread

#110 Andreas Athanasiou, C/LW, 6'0"/177

Quote:
He’s also very dynamic offensively with slick hands and is a tremendous stickhandler, which has drawn comparisons to another CHL player who was in a similar situation to him a year ago and the Sea Dogs Tomas Jurco.
Any compairason to Jurco is a good one! Hearing and reading things, he needs to be less of a drama queen, but that should leave once he hits a certain age (hopefully)

http://thehockeywriters.com/andreas-...are-the-greek/

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Listed at 6-foot-2 and and 197 pounds, McDonnell said De Haas is actually 6-foot-4, and he complements that impressive frame with surprising skating ability.
Interesting bit from RWC. Sounds like most of the NCAA guys they've been taking. Big, size, skating, two-way, tons of time before they need to be signed.

Quote:
“If he was playing in the (Ontario Hockey League), we would have loved his potential because of his size and skating, but now we’ve got five years to work with him (instead of two),” said Red Wings director of scouting Joe McDonnell. “He’s a long-term project but we think he’s got a lot of upside.”

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:39 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
I'm content with the draft. Not sure what to make of taking a goalie in the 3rd round, but we have to pick them up somehow.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:31 PM
sarcastro

I wish they hadn't taken a goalie - particularly one from the OHL. But I suppose lightning can strike anywhere, so what the hell. Nothing against Paterson as I have no idea whether he currently is or will ever be any good. The odds are against him though, and they're much worse than they would be if they'd taken a skater there. And there were plenty of good skaters to be taken. If you must waste a pick on a goalie, I'd prefer that it be a 6th rounder instead of a 3rd.

Frk is a fine pick, I am worried about the skating but if he can get into top shape and max out whatever wheels he has, he could be a good add.

I don't like the AA pick because most of the scouting reports I've read on him say he has little or no hockey sense. The AHL and European leagues are riddled with fast skaters with no hockey sense and little guys with great hockey sense who can't skate. I worry AA will be one of the former.

I am fine with the other picks because they're fliers and they're all big dudes that apparently have great wheels. Those are great guys to take fliers on. I just wish they had taken a couple more of them earlier, when the odds of panning out would have been better.

You never really know. We'll have to wait and see like everyone else.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I wish they hadn't taken a goalie - particularly one from the OHL. But I suppose lightning can strike anywhere, so what the hell. Nothing against Paterson as I have no idea whether he currently is or will ever be any good. The odds are against him though, and they're much worse than they would be if they'd taken a skater there. And there were plenty of good skaters to be taken. If you must waste a pick on a goalie, I'd prefer that it be a 6th rounder instead of a 3rd.

Frk is a fine pick, I am worried about the skating but if he can get into top shape and max out whatever wheels he has, he could be a good add.

I don't like the AA pick because most of the scouting reports I've read on him say he has little or no hockey sense. The AHL and European leagues are riddled with fast skaters with no hockey sense and little guys with great hockey sense who can't skate. I worry AA will be one of the former.

I am fine with the other picks because they're fliers and they're all big dudes that apparently have great wheels. Those are great guys to take fliers on. I just wish they had taken a couple more of them earlier, when the odds of panning out would have been better.

Even more concerning, our scouts admitted they drafted him only because of a hot half of a season.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:39 AM
grsbmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post

Having read the RWC article on Paterson, the Wings said they had 3 goalies in the top 30 on their list, so maybe there's a chance that we lucked out picking up Quincey instead of having the brass waste our 1st on a goalie.

grsbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Frk It
#snipequist

I have a bad feeling this is going to be a real unproductive draft class, but I hope I am wrong. Only player we drafted that I feel good about is Frk.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:52 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsbmd View Post
Having read the RWC article on Paterson, the Wings said they had 3 goalies in the top 30 on their list, so maybe there's a chance that we lucked out picking up Quincey instead of having the brass waste our 1st on a goalie.
I can't believe that nobody on that staff has ever done a cost-benefit analysis on drafting goaltenders. It's got to be even worse for a team that's so historically awful at developing them. The fact that they'd have any goalie in their top 150 is ridiculous to me.

Hey Wings, I can run a crackerjack analysis on this stuff if you put me on staff. I work cheap, too.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:38 AM
WesNichols14

Rasmus Bodin in the 7th seems like the perfect pic for what they said they wanted to do.
Quote:
“At this point, I would say I’m hoping he becomes a bigger version of (current Red Wings forward) Justin Abdelkader, a guy who works hard, uses his body and is a useful guy for the team,” Andersson said.
a 6'6 Justin Abdelkader sounds like a dream come true to me.
not only that but can you imagen what other GMS said after they saw that pic and said who?

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:10 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Interesting bit from RWC. Sounds like most of the NCAA guys they've been taking. Big, size, skating, two-way, tons of time before they need to be signed.
Frk is the most exciting pick, but Bodin is the most intriguing. Being a 7th-round Hakan pick, a kid from a low, low league, and someone who I would confidently bet was not scouted by any of the 29 other teams.... it will just be fun to see how he develops. Probably won't be anything, but what a story if he becomes a productive NHLer.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:40 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

6'6 would probably be the biggest/tallest forward in the nhl if you don't count in-and-outers like 6'7 john scott...

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Tatar

Martin Frk: 7C

Jake Paterson: 6.5C

Andreas Anthanasiou: 6.5D

Mike McKee: 6.5C

James De Haas: 6C

Rasmus Bodin: 6D

Tatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Schroedingers Cat

From what I've read about Bodin, I am really excited about that prospect. He was
6-6 and 200+ pounds as a 17 year old. From what I've read he is mobile and actually has a very good shot.

It sounds like he was just an average sized player finishing out his junior career in Sweden and then he all of a sudden shot up like 6 inches in a year. He couldn't play in juniors anymore because all his hits were headshots.

If he ends up something like 6-7, 230 pounds and stays mobile he'll be a 10 goal NHL forward just on his physical skills.

IMO if he had gone undrafted this year he likely would've been picked in the first three or four rounds next year. I think he's going to end up at least as a fringe NHL player, which is very good for a 200th pick. I will temper my expectations because he could turn out to be Jesper Samuelsson, but a 6-6 guy who can skate and shoot is very intriguing.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Shoalzie

McKee heading to Western could maybe help grease the skids with Dekeyser.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote