HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So what's the deal with Savard, Thomas, Horton???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2012, 08:13 PM
  #26
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Alberta_OReilly_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post
Does Savard count at all towards the Cap this year? I assume there is no chance of him playing again... I am assuming that frees up $4M+...

Are we moving Thomas for sure? I am assuming that frees up $5M...

What is Horton's status? Should me move him when he is cleared anyways? That is $4M.

Moving Horton and Thomas and Savard not counting on the cap leaves us $22M to work with for Rask, and 2F and a 7th d-man...
its possible they move thomas simply to get rid of the distraction BUT i also think it is possible they try to have the new cba altered to correct this problem.

i mean where is the incentive for either the players or the owners to want this clause? the clause was meant to stop teams from ridiculously front loading deals for guys that were going to retire in order to walk away from the cap hit when they got older.

it was never intended to hurt someone in the tim thomas situation... by all rights we should be able to suspend him so he can have his time off for his family without losing our asset.

i mean god only knows if he really is wanting time off for a family issue then as decent human beings we all have to be understanding of that... but the team bargained in good faith to front load his deal for his benefit. we gave him ntc for his benefit. we left the final year open at a low cash hit because it was forseeable that rask would take over and we wanted to have an asset we could deal.

now dirty politics and a screwup in the law is shafting us and i think the cba should be tweaked to fix this. i think we should be allowed to suspend thomas without it affecting the cap the same way any other legally signed player can be suspended when they fail to report. then we should be able to trade him in a fair hockey trade once he does decide to come back {if ever}

its like when nabokov walked away from his deal... it was no fault of the club so why should the club be punished? eventually nabokov came back and became the islanders starting goalie. paul ranger walked away from tampa and still hasnt come back... but there is no reason for tampa to be punished for it and no reason for us to be punished.

so i say keep thomas until the cba gets settled... then if necessary give up a pick to get rid of the cap hit if necessary... but dont make any reactionary moves now from a position of weakness until our hands are forced

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:13 PM
  #27
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew
 
Kelly23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 5,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
That has always been my understanding. You use up all of your cap room first and THEN get an overage if needed.
So it basically extends the cap just wierd termonology

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:33 PM
  #28
petipas1414
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: near Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
We can't count on Horton to be healthy

petipas1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:37 PM
  #29
Rubber Biscuit
Registered User
 
Rubber Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petipas1414 View Post
We can't count on Horton to be healthy
Why not?

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:48 AM
  #30
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
Why not?
One more Concussion and Savard better make room on LTIR

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:53 AM
  #31
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
its possible they move thomas simply to get rid of the distraction BUT i also think it is possible they try to have the new cba altered to correct this problem.

i mean where is the incentive for either the players or the owners to want this clause?
You say "the owners" as if they are all one group. They aren't. There are big market owners and small market owners (or owners with money and owners without). The incentive for a small market owner is this:

We have to watch every single penny we spend to try and compete with you guys. You guys throw money around recklessly and then want to be able to walk away from those mistakes.

If I'm a small market owner I don't want to do anything that helps big markets (and allowing them to inflate yearly salaries by giving fictional years in the contract does that).

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:29 AM
  #32
Rubber Biscuit
Registered User
 
Rubber Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
One more Concussion and Savard better make room on LTIR
Then let's assume the same about Bergeron.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.