HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Looking back on Martin Gelinas

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2003, 07:38 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Looking back on Martin Gelinas

He used to be my favourite young Oiler, I looked at him then with the same hope that I look at Hemsky now. 131 points in the Q as an 18 year old (Roenick was his center), great speed in the offensive zone and solidly built. During his first couple years as an Oiler, he showed lots of promise and Messier even was quoted at the time as saying that Gelinas would someday score 50 goals in this league.

Then he had back to back 11 goal seasons, and it came to be realized (even by me) that for all his speed and physical ability, he just didn't have the hands around the net. On another team with fewer expectations, it wouldn't have mattered. On an Oiler team starving for some sort of star return from the Gretzky sale since Carson was a lost cause, it looked bad. So they got rid of him.

It's interesting to look back on his career now, 6 games away from 1000 in the NHL. He's overall been a decent pro and did manage a couple of 30 goal seasons in the mid 90's with the Nucks, but he never did fulfill all the potential he was supposed to have.

A cautionary tale for guys like Ales Hemsky? Who knows? I just have the song "Yesterday" in my head, and his name popped up. So sue me.

Old
11-28-2003, 07:45 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
He used to be my favourite young Oiler, I looked at him then with the same hope that I look at Hemsky now. 131 points in the Q as an 18 year old (Roenick was his center), great speed in the offensive zone and solidly built. During his first couple years as an Oiler, he showed lots of promise and Messier even was quoted at the time as saying that Gelinas would someday score 50 goals in this league.

Then he had back to back 11 goal seasons, and it came to be realized (even by me) that for all his speed and physical ability, he just didn't have the hands around the net. On another team with fewer expectations, it wouldn't have mattered. On an Oiler team starving for some sort of star return from the Gretzky sale since Carson was a lost cause, it looked bad. So they got rid of him.

It's interesting to look back on his career now, 6 games away from 1000 in the NHL. He's overall been a decent pro and did manage a couple of 30 goal seasons in the mid 90's with the Nucks, but he never did fulfill all the potential he was supposed to have.

A cautionary tale for guys like Ales Hemsky? Who knows? I just have the song "Yesterday" in my head, and his name popped up. So sue me.
When he was about 21 Gelinas attended one of my son's practices. He did a fabulous job with those kids. Later I got to take some shots with his stick. There was so much curve on it that it was almost impossible to keep the puck in the rink. It's no wonder he didn't score 50.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Oi'll say!

Hey, where's the Hemskyfan lynchmob?

This is like the silence after the natives have stopped beating their drums.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:51 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Sorry....late to the party.

No comparison, the hands are completely different, just natural talent and mental knowledge of the game is nowhere close And, as I mentioned in my game report, I'm in a really foul mood tonight and don't really feel like editorializing.

Closed Thread