HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings sign Damien Brunner (1 year for $925K)

Old
06-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Redwings1927

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
In this context it means, babcock saw that he walked with authority and confidence and looked like a player
confidence is huge for players to show the brass of any nhl club. another way you could put that quote is that he walked by babcock and wasn't star struck or overwhelmed. at the draft yesterday, one of the guys that pitt picked up said omg i just shook hands with mario lemiuex. even though that is a great thing, you have to be exuding confidence that hey mario is lucky to be shaking my hand today...if that makes sense.

Redwings1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
Watch Holland pass on Semin\Parise and say this guy is our "top-six signing".

From what i'm hearing it sounds like Suter is leaning towards Detroit, but Parise will likely not come here. If Suter is all we get we are still in trouble next year. Semin would be an acceptable alternative if we could also acquire some depth on F (like Jokinen).

I don't think this guy plays more than 10 games in the NHL this year.
I still say Semin is the most likely free agent to hit Detroit.

Add Suter, if the rumors are true, and the team looks pretty damn good. Parise is, and always was, a total dream and luxury signing. I never expected him to leave NJ, let alone the East. Parise is probably eyeballing a career playing with Crosby and I can't blame the guy.

If this Brunner has any talent and Nyquist/Smith can make the next step, things would look pretty damn bright in Detroit.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

I'd bet they're bringing Brunner in primarily to challenge Nyquist. Those Babcock quotes are odd -- unless you're a proven NHL'er, you're not going to be handed a top-six role in Detroit. They want Nyquist to have to win his job.

Ricelund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
I'd bet they're bringing Brunner in primarily to challenge Nyquist. Those Babcock quotes are odd -- unless you're a proven NHL'er, you're not going to be handed a top-six role in Detroit. They want Nyquist to have to win his job.
I agree, but without a big free agent splash the top 6 in Detroit is WIDE open for a kid to take.

Maybe some people will take these quotes from Babcock that Bertuzzi and Cleary aren't being considered as top 6 options unless by necessity.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Babcock really sounds geeked about this kid. And from the sounds of it, Babcock is going to give him the chance to succeed. If you ask Hudler or Leino, that's half the battle.

I also love hearing that he's a strong, fast skater. That in itself makes this a better move than Leino or Brunnstrom.
Agreed, we have so many slow guys taking their sweet time getting up and down the ice, it's like a dog rubbing it's butt against the ground because it has worms. Not fun to watch.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Foxs Thumbs View Post
I'm saying good for him for capitalizing on his chances, but if you guys think the Dmen in the NHL are going to be that ineffective to allow him to continue to do those things, you're going to be disappointed. I am excited to see what he can do for us though. Nothing negative about him at all. Just silly to base things off Swiss highlights.
My entire post was pointing out the parts of his game that I think will help him be successful in the NHL. I stated that he wouldn't be able to just stickhandle around players here and brush off stick checks. But a quick shot, good vision and awareness, great foot speed and a knack for getting to high traffic areas are all things that will really help any player adjust to NA.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Agreed, we have so many slow guys taking their sweet time getting up and down the ice, it's like a dog rubbing it's butt against the ground because it has worms. Not fun to watch.
True. Also if the rest of the Wings see him flying up and down the ice and Babs gives him the ice time they want, they will start busting their ***** if they care at all. It's a no risk, high reward signing at worst.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:46 PM
joe89

Quote:
We need that competition so it's all good. Can't bare to watch Bert and Cleary get it handed on a silver platter for another season.

Scenario:
Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen
Brunner/Nyquist-Datsyuk-Parise/Semin
Brunner/Nyquist-Helm-Cleary
Bertuzzi-Abdelkader-Miller/Eaves

If Brunner blows it we still have a lot of options. Something has got to give with all of Eaves, Miller, Emmerton and Mursak aswell. We cannot keep all these guys forever. But I guess that'll work itself out in camp.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:39 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Parise- Datsyuk- Semin
Filppula- Zetterberg- Franzen
Nyquist- Jarnkrok- Brunner
Abdelkader- Helm- Prust
Miller

Suter- White
Kronwall- Smith
Ericsson- Quincey
Kindl

Howard
Clemmensen

Dream roster

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

I'm not going to write this guy off right away, I think he could be good for us.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:04 PM
TheGelatinousCube

Sign all the Brunnstroms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlltheBrunnstroms.jpg‎ (38.1 KB, 7 views)

TheGelatinousCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
i see it as a message to Holland. IE, get me the top 6 help i'm been begging for or some undersized EUro who no proven NHL game is in our top 6

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:36 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
I think the last guy he's thinking about with that quote is Nyquist. Nyquist came in and did fine in a tiny role. Babcock was aiming at the guys that insist they're top 6ers but didn't play like it last year. Bertuzzi, Franzen, maybe Cleary.

Holland would love for Nyquist to win a job. Babcock just wants someone - anyone - who will play like they give a damn.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I think the last guy he's thinking about with that quote is Nyquist. Nyquist came in and did fine in a tiny role. Babcock was aiming at the guys that insist they're top 6ers but didn't play like it last year. Bertuzzi, Franzen, maybe Cleary.

Holland would love for Nyquist to win a job. Babcock just wants someone - anyone - who will play like they give a damn.
I don't think so. Franzen knows he's too good of a goal scorer to be in the bottom-six all year. Bertuzzi probably doesn't care at this point. I don't know where you get the impression that Cleary "insists" he's a top-six player.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:22 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
I don't think so. Franzen knows he's too good of a goal scorer to be in the bottom-six all year. Bertuzzi probably doesn't care at this point. I don't know where you get the impression that Cleary "insists" he's a top-six player.
There's no endgame to Babcock playing mind games with Nyquist.

There's much to be gained in playing mind games with guys who played like lazy slugs so much of the time, such as Franzen and Bert.

Cleary, whatever, I said maybe on him. He seems like a Babcock favorite to me but then some said he was one of the guys that despises him. Meh. Leave him out if you want.

What does he gain by putting obstacles in Nyquist's way when they're better off with both Nyquist and Brunner playing ahead of Bert and, if he persists in his sluggishness, Franzen?

Old
06-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
There's no endgame to Babcock playing mind games with Nyquist.

What does he gain by putting obstacles in Nyquist's way when they're better off with both Nyquist and Brunner playing ahead of Bert and, if he persists in his sluggishness, Franzen?
When's the last time the Wings had a rookie who had a spot handed to him? It's just not how they operate. You almost always have to win a job, unless you're a Datsyuk or Zetterberg. This is about Nyquist, not Bertuzzi or Franzen, IMO.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
When's the last time the Wings had a rookie who had a spot handed to him? It's just not how they operate. You almost always have to win a job, unless you're a Datsyuk or Zetterberg. This is about Nyquist, not Bertuzzi or Franzen, IMO.
I don't agree with this. It was Babcock who wanted Smith on the team last year but Holland sent him back down to Grand Rapids. Babcock doesn't have any say over roster composition which ties his hands. I'd argue he's saying Brunner will be a top 6 guy in order to force Holland's hand to not just bury him in Grand Rapids.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:15 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Mike Babcock sounded more like a scout than a coach.
More and more, I think Babcock wants to be a GM somewhere. So many of his comments are about rosters and player assessments, etc.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Mike Babcock sounded more like a scout than a coach.
More and more, I think Babcock wants to be a GM somewhere. So many of his comments are about rosters and player assessments, etc.
I have thought this for a little while now too. It is just how he talks about all the players and team construction he uses a lot of GM speak. My guess is that is part of what is starting to look like a fraying relationship in my opinion. Babcock does a little too much challenging even if it is in a very slight way a lot of times. The one that stuck out in this article was I told Kenny to come over to the Worlds.

Really, Kenny goes to those often if they exit early from the playoffs. He also is Babs boss not the other way around some of his quotes lately strike me as either they have one of the most fantastic relationships and literally nothing concerns them or is above saying, that or sniping has begun and this relationship has an expiration date approaching faster than I thought it would just a couple years ago.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Bench
Realgud!

You guys are amazing at this game.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:54 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
You guys are amazing at this game.

Moot!

Old
06-23-2012, 11:55 PM
FabricDetails

Just Babs talking out of ass again. I'd like it if he would shut up a little more often but he is who he is.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:16 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I have thought this for a little while now too. It is just how he talks about all the players and team construction he uses a lot of GM speak. My guess is that is part of what is starting to look like a fraying relationship in my opinion. Babcock does a little too much challenging even if it is in a very slight way a lot of times. The one that stuck out in this article was I told Kenny to come over to the Worlds.

Really, Kenny goes to those often if they exit early from the playoffs. He also is Babs boss not the other way around some of his quotes lately strike me as either they have one of the most fantastic relationships and literally nothing concerns them or is above saying, that or sniping has begun and this relationship has an expiration date approaching faster than I thought it would just a couple years ago.
Even Scotty Bowman didn't want to be a coach forever. The reason why he left Montreal is because he was pissed he wasn't made GM when Pollock retired.
When you've won a cup, and a Gold, and you never see your kids and you're on the road all the time, it's got to get old sometimes.
Does Babcock want to coach for 20 more years to take a run at Scotty's records?
Or does he want to go in the front office somewhere, slow down the lifestyle a bit, and try a new challenge?

Old
06-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Even Scotty Bowman didn't want to be a coach forever. The reason why he left Montreal is because he was pissed he wasn't made GM when Pollock retired.
When you've won a cup, and a Gold, and you never see your kids and you're on the road all the time, it's got to get old sometimes.
Does Babcock want to coach for 20 more years to take a run at Scotty's records?
Or does he want to go in the front office somewhere, slow down the lifestyle a bit, and try a new challenge?
Babcock has only been a coach in the NHL for like 14 years. I think it's a little early to think about him retiring from coaching. I think all of these comments he's making are to try and get Holland to wake the **** up. I really hope that Babcock quits after this season if Holland doesn't bring in some real help. And signing Suter while only re-signing Hudler or bringing back Samuelsson isn't 'help'.

Last edited by Heaton: 06-24-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:26 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Babcock has only been a coach in the NHL for like 14 years. I think it's a little early to think about him retiring from coaching. I think all of these comments he's making are to try and get Holland to wake the **** up. I really hope that Babcock quits after this season if Holland doesn't bring in some real help. And signing Suter while only re-signing Hudler or bringing back Samuelsson isn't 'help'.
14 years is a long time. Bowman was coach for about the same time or less when he quit the Habs to become GM/Coach of the Sabres