HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh-Chicago

Old
06-23-2012, 11:07 PM
SEALBound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Shero picked Morrow over Saad last year and Morrow almost made the Pens out of camp. No way he even considers thins.

OT: Are we, as Pens fans, going to have a new "Pens stud D prospect to my team" every week now?
Came here to post this.

Not impressed with Saad to this point enough to trade off Joe. In fact there are not many proposals I can think off that would have him being shipped off. The ones I can are fairly unrealistic.

To get Morrow, Chicago is gonna have to get drastic. Too drastic, IMHO. More than the worth. He's simply worth more to us. It happens...we draft guys because we like them. We like Mr. Morrow. He's gonna be a Penguin.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Sleight Of Hand
Mean Streets

Every trade with Chicago seems to start with Saad. He is not on the block unless something super comes back. And even then...not happening. And he is Stan's crown jewel so far. So let's start the trades with something more realistic like Frolik.

Sleight Of Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:14 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Shero picked Morrow over Saad last year and Morrow almost made the Pens out of camp. No way he even considers thins.

OT: Are we, as Pens fans, going to have a new "Pens stud D prospect to my team" every week now?
Well something is going to have to take the place of the weekly "Jordan Staal to my team" threads, right?!?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Ok do you want Mark McNeill? Seems like all you care about is where they got drafted a year ago so I guess McNeill > Morrow since he was drafted before him.

I put Saad in because he's a big time offensive prospect. If you aren't aware of that then I suggest you get educated, particularly about a player from your city. Don't spew your ignorance because you aren't aware that prospect values change a year after they are drafted.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/blackhawks..._make_the.html
are you KIDDING me?

We played Pine Richland many times in high school, I played against the team he played for and I've known about him for years longer than you have.

Joe Morrow played out his 9 games with the Pens last season and is ready to make the leap into the NHL. His skillset is much more valuable to the Penguins and overall more valuable than Saad is.

Don't get me wrong, Saad is a terrific prospect and I wanted Shero to draft him last year. But after seeing Morrow play in the preseason, not to mention a year full of highlights in Portland, I know that Shero made the right decision.

"spewing ignorance"....get out of here dude

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:00 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
are you KIDDING me?

We played Pine Richland many times in high school, I played against the team he played for and I've known about him for years longer than you have.

Joe Morrow played out his 9 games with the Pens last season and is ready to make the leap into the NHL. His skillset is much more valuable to the Penguins and overall more valuable than Saad is.

Don't get me wrong, Saad is a terrific prospect and I wanted Shero to draft him last year. But after seeing Morrow play in the preseason, not to mention a year full of highlights in Portland, I know that Shero made the right decision.

This never happened. Saad was the only one of the two to have stepped on NHL ice last season.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:50 AM
SEALBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
This never happened. Saad was the only one of the two to have stepped on NHL ice last season.
Wrong. He did.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:54 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Wrong. He did.
Now I'm confused. I've double checked. I can't find anything that shows Morrow playing in the NHL last year. Link to a box score where he played?

Old
06-24-2012, 02:07 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 800
I don't know if they are mistaking pre-season games as regular season games. Couldn't find any signs of Morrow playing even one regular/playoff game for them. The question is why would they lie about a thing that is so easily checked out?

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:17 AM
Cullksinikers

Morrow was definitely sent back to Portland before the regular season began.

Brandon Saad is going to be an absolute monster. I think the coaching staff and management is extremely sure of that. He is the only prospect I believe is considered untouchable. It's not my choice, but the only I can get behind a deal involving Saad is if he is included in a deal that would enable the Blackhawks to acquire an absolutely stud player that is a proven commodity and impresses time after time. The Penguins will (and should) hang onto Morrow, and Saad will be in the Hawks' top-six to begin the regular season in all likelihood.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:42 AM
MayDayMayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post

Brandon Saad is going to be an absolute monster. I think the coaching staff and management is extremely sure of that. He is the only prospect I believe is considered untouchable. It's not my choice, but the only I can get behind a deal involving Saad is if he is included in a deal that would enable the Blackhawks to acquire an absolutely stud player that is a proven commodity and impresses time after time. The Penguins will (and should) hang onto Morrow, and Saad will be in the Hawks' top-six to begin the regular season in all likelihood.
As a Sabres fan, I can't help but feel that if the Hawks are really interested in Derek Roy as we've been hearing so much, Saad (and or McNeil) would have to be coming back in the deal. Thoughts?

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post
As a Sabres fan, I can't help but feel that if the Hawks are really interested in Derek Roy as we've been hearing so much, Saad (and or McNeil) would have to be coming back in the deal. Thoughts?
If we're talking about the Derek Roy that is going to be an UFA, you are talking Morin/Pirri and a 2013 2nd would start talks.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Intense Rage

We are not interested in moving Saad unless its a home run type of deal, I would love to have Morrow but definitely not if he is going to cost us Saad.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:22 AM
MayDayMayDay

Quote:
If we're talking about the Derek Roy that is going to be an UFA, you are talking Morin/Pirri and a 2013 2nd would start talks.
I think depending who you talk to, Morin + Pirri + a pick MIGHT get it done. I would especially love Pirri in Buffalo. Roy's still a 70 point guy when he's healthy and fills a HUGE need for the Hawks right now (and no doubt he'd thrive in Chicago on a line w/ Hossa). The reason I say it might get it done is because I feel like there's not really a consensus as to what Buffalo and our fans want to pursue in exchange for Roy. Some say move him for grit, some say move him for scoring, some say move him just to get his attitude outta the locker room (and in reality, I think it's a combo of all three). Bottom line is, he's either gonna be a Blackhawk or a Duck at some point in the next year, but he's gotta get his head right before making any move b/c he's a player that any trade they make has the potential to REALLY help all parties involved.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

Morrow would be in the NHL right now if the Pens had not been so stacked defensively. HF pretty much said that in their prospect rating, Morrow at 26 (Saad was 31). Maybe that is what people were thinking of:

26 Joe Morrow – D – Pittsburgh Penguins

Height: 6-0, Weight: 197

The Portland Winterhawks finished the regular season with the third best record in the WHL and were far and away the most powerful offensive club in the league. So, on a team that includes many top prospects and highly ranked 2012 draft-eligible players, defenseman Joe Morrow still manages to stand out. Not only was he the top offensive defenseman for that club, he finished second among WHL defensemen with 64 points despite playing in only 62 games. Morrow currently leads the WHL in playoff scoring by a defenseman with another 12 points through 13 games. Morrow plays every game situation, and can do whatever is asked of him, whether leading a breakout from his own zone, or shutting down the opposing team's top scorers. Morrow really can do it all; if he was a part of a different organization without the kind of defensive depth that the Pittsburgh Penguins enjoy, he could already be playing in the NHL.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...gs-2011-2012/3

Morrow is also something that the Pens have nothing else of in the system, a PMD and PP QB. Or had nothing until Pouliot was drafted as well. We saw with Goligoski what those can get you. So yeah, Saad would be great, but Pens would pass as well.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:13 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think the Pens will trade Morrow. He played unbelievably well in camp and preseason last fall and I still say he would have made a lesser team. Pens just had a lot of veterans and other quality prospects like Despres and had no need to rush him.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

I find the argument "we could have drafted him ourselves if we had wanted him" one of the least meaningful arguments often seen here.

Every draft would look fundamentally different if re-done the next year.

That said, Morrow is not going anywhere unless - perhaps - as a major piece for an established upgrade for the pro-team. Afterall, anyone not named Sid and Malkin can be traded for the right return.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:19 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
are you KIDDING me?

I'll take the strong skating, 6'2", most dominant player in the OHL last year over Morrow.. but, maybe that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, Morrow is a terrific prospect and I would have been thrilled had the Hawks managed to get him. But after seeing Saad play in the preseason, regular season and playoffs, not to mention a year full of highlights in Saginaw, I know Bowman got the steal of the draft.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:49 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Every trade with Chicago seems to start with Saad. He is not on the block unless something super comes back. And even then...not happening. And he is Stan's crown jewel so far. So let's start the trades with something more realistic like Frolik.
Don't think you can fetch much for Frolik.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
I think this may be one of these deals where, though the value is pretty fair, neither teams fanbase is willing to part with the guy they consider to be the "crown jewel" in the prospect system.

Actually, at least one Pens and Hawks fan has each said "Saad/Morrow will only be moved for a home run who will immediately win us a Cup", or something along those lines.......

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

value is right, I just don't see the need for the Hawks to do this.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:40 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Wrong. He did.
He played all the preseason, and was going to stay because Orpik had surgery. Orpik returned in time and Morrow was sent down. He never played a regular season game.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Kannu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I'll take the strong skating, 6'2", most dominant player in the OHL last year over Morrow.. but, maybe that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, Morrow is a terrific prospect and I would have been thrilled had the Hawks managed to get him. But after seeing Saad play in the preseason, regular season and playoffs, not to mention a year full of highlights in Saginaw, I know Bowman got the steal of the draft.
HockeyDB lists Saad as 6'1", 202lbs. and Morrow as 6'1", 206lbs. Same size. Seems both fanbases love their prospect and want to keep them. Win-win.

Kannu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:05 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
If you start with Frolik you also have to end with something more realistic like Komisarek.

That said, it was a Hawks fan who started with Saad here. Personally I still think there could be something to the thought behind the proposal, it's just overly ambitious to try it with the team's top prospects.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:03 PM
WarriorofTime

Seems like everyone is afraid to trade away their team's favorite prospect even though it addresses organizational needs.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:

obviously and for good reason...

Human is online now   Reply With Quote