HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Strategy Change

Old
06-22-2012, 02:33 PM
grsbmd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
I see this as a misinformation campaign to keep teams away from Nikita Gusev.
Gusev has already been passed over in 2 draft years. I'm not sure they need a misinformation campaign to keep other teams from drafting him.

grsbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:35 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
thats inaccurate.
i like the red wings but i dont like how they got screwed the last 5 years by the management and their results.
its not the fault of the team that holland tries to win a cup with fringe or garbage player.
beside that, i dont know wether i like ken holland or not but i know that i dont like his work results.
You realize we've won the Cup and lost in Game 7 of the Finals the following year, all within the last five years, right? Or doesn't that fit your agenda?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:13 AM
VM1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
It will be interesting to see how the latest "top 6" prospects do.

1. Nyquist - looks legit, is European but came to NA after being drafted. Typical Red Wing puck possession guy. Should replace Hudler this year :fingerscrossed: He'll be the first puck possession guy to break through in 10 years.
2. Tatar - also fits the classic puck possession style of play but hasn't locked down a spot. Like many puck possession guys Detroit drafts, he has focused so much on improving his defensive game that he's less of an offensive presence and doesn't have the size to be a good defensive forward. Catch 22.
3. Ferraro - same as Tatar, was supposed to be an offensive force when drafted but is now a defensive forward. At least he has good speed and could become a Darren Helm-like defensive forward and PK'er.
4. Sheahan - the new breed: chance of being a top 6 scoring line forward but if that doesn't pan out he can be a very good shut-down forward like Jordan Staal.
5. Jarnkrok - like Nyquist he looks legit. Hopefully his trajectory continues its upward swing. That would make him the second puck possession guy to crack the top 6 since the 2002 draft.
6. Jurco - he's another puck possession guy. Arrows are pointing sky high.

So I don't think they've completely given up on drafting puck possession forwards. For the first two picks in each of the last three drafts they have selected a puck possession guy with 4 out of the 6 picks. Nyquist is as sure of a sure thing as possible. It's too early to say that about any of the other guys although some look like they're legit.
I expect Nyquist to be a solid Hudler-type scorer (maybe less) in a year or two, but not this top 6 dynamo like everyone thinks he'll be. I hope I'm wrong.

Ferraro is nothing, he won't even make the team, or if he does it'll be an Emmerton type move. Out of options, no real reason to keep him.

Tatar hasn't impressed as much lately, but I still have this nagging feeling he's going to be one of those players who transitions well to the NHL. Remember, Howard struggled quite a bit in his last year or two in the AHL, too.

It's probably too early to really know anything about the future of Jurco and Jarnkrok, but as of right now I think people have put the most hopes on them. One of them is bound to make the NHL, if not both.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
This can probably be merged with the other draft thread but its a little different so whatever.

On the malik report an interview with Nill was posted where for the first time in 15 years, the wings have altered their draft strategy. This year they are looking for size and toughness in the draft with the departure of Lidstrom, and also playoff success of big, tough teams.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._at_the_draft/

This gets my hopes up for Lukas Sutter even more
Went to the Peg at 39

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:15 AM
VM1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
thats inaccurate.
i like the red wings but i dont like how they got screwed the last 5 years by the management and their results.
its not the fault of the team that holland tries to win a cup with fringe or garbage player.
beside that, i dont know wether i like ken holland or not but i know that i dont like his work results.
Really? Because it's not drafting that's screwed this team. On paper, the Wings have had one of the most dangerous teams. 2010 was derailed by ridiculous injuries coming off a Game 7 Finals appearance (while basically sleepwalking), 2011 had some more poorly timed injuries, and 2012 was 98% of the team not playing like they cared.

The only thing you can fault Holland for is not making some trades, but the trading market has been either pretty bare the past two seasons or ridiculously overpriced.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
You realize we've won the Cup and lost in Game 7 of the Finals the following year, all within the last five years, right? Or doesn't that fit your agenda?
But how does that make me feel better NOOOOOWWWWW!?!?!?!?!

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I expect Nyquist to be a solid Hudler-type scorer (maybe less) in a year or two, but not this top 6 dynamo like everyone thinks he'll be. I hope I'm wrong.

Ferraro is nothing, he won't even make the team, or if he does it'll be an Emmerton type move. Out of options, no real reason to keep him.

Tatar hasn't impressed as much lately, but I still have this nagging feeling he's going to be one of those players who transitions well to the NHL. Remember, Howard struggled quite a bit in his last year or two in the AHL, too.

It's probably too early to really know anything about the future of Jurco and Jarnkrok, but as of right now I think people have put the most hopes on them. One of them is bound to make the NHL, if not both.
Oh I'm pretty confident Nyquist will blow Hudler away. Maybe not during his rookie year but in short order.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

I thought this might be a good thread to ask this question instead of stsrting a new thread....

With this draft strategy change idea, I'm sure they won't be dropping the free draft pick, I.e. signing players during the window and camp invites.

Who are some of the players not drafted would you like to see the Wings persue?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
I thought this might be a good thread to ask this question instead of stsrting a new thread....

With this draft strategy change idea, I'm sure they won't be dropping the free draft pick, I.e. signing players during the window and camp invites.

This might help >> http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1214979

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:

Dane Fox!
Max Iafrate: has some connections to the area, once highly rated he's fallen off and that fits the Red Wings philosophy when it comes to prospects
Zach Mitchell: right handed shot, decent size, offense first, takes puck to the net and had a big improvement in scoring this season
Joel Wigle: big boy who can get after the defense on the forecheck
Michael Houser: he's a goalie who could be an AHL quality goaltender, would help improve depth

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:52 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
But how does that make me feel better NOOOOOWWWWW!?!?!?!?!
Some of us are thinking about the moves that can make the team better for next year, and not reliving the glory of years past

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Some of us are thinking about the moves that can make the team better for next year, and not reliving the glory of years past
That's cool. Make sure you write them down so we can forward this to Red Wings management. I have a feeling they are VERY interested in our input.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:04 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
That's cool. Make sure you write them down so we can forward this to Red Wings management. I have a feeling they are VERY interested in our input.
I keep wondering when you'll come around and engage in dialogue instead aping the worst our board has to offer.
There are people on this board, like Jaster and Rice and Winger and Fugu and Heaton, to name but a few with whom I often disagree. From time to time, we all get involved in our little snits. But they bring ideas to the board.

Time for you to decide if you want to be SoupNasty's watchdog or someone whose opinion has some weight in these discussions

Old
06-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
That's was sparked my idea of bringing here.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
That's was sparked my idea of bringing here.
Would like to see them give Anton Slepyshev and Matej Beran an invite to camp. Slepyshev is talented but is risky because of the "russian factor". Matej Beran needs to work on skating, but has a good frame, and could be a good project.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
I keep wondering when you'll come around and engage in dialogue instead aping the worst our board has to offer.
There are people on this board, like Jaster and Rice and Winger and Fugu and Heaton, to name but a few with whom I often disagree. From time to time, we all get involved in our little snits. But they bring ideas to the board.

Time for you to decide if you want to be SoupNasty's watchdog or someone whose opinion has some weight in these discussions
Some of us have fun.

And some of us are on a crusade to piss everybody off and be the board contrarian feigning a constant victim-like state to the hivemind.

I don't know, I guess I'm not that worried about getting the approval of the guy nobody takes seriously.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:49 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
Would like to see them give Anton Slepyshev and Matej Beran an invite to camp. Slepyshev is talented but is risky because of the "russian factor". Matej Beran needs to work on skating, but has a good frame, and could be a good project.
Reportedly, Slepyshev skipped the combine because he had a test to take back home and doesn't feel any urge to cross the pond any time soon.

Those sorts of things can scare teams off. No real point in inviting him to camp either, since you know he's going back to Russia with or without a contract.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:10 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Some of us have fun.

And some of us are on a crusade to piss everybody off and be the board contrarian feigning a constant victim-like state to the hivemind.

I don't know, I guess I'm not that worried about getting the approval of the guy nobody takes seriously.
You say you're just having fun. But you're just adding +1 to the people who piss on any and all criticisms. Have *fun* being Soupnasty's lapdog.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
You say you're just having fun. But you're just adding +1 to the people who piss on any and all criticisms. Have *fun* being Soupnasty's lapdog.
And you say I'm melodramatic.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Boomhower

Houser would be a great add for goaltending depth.
Looks like Houser has already been given a promise to play pro hockey somewhere for the upcoming season. Details of his signing will come out soon, now that the draft is over. Not sure when passed over players can officially sign...

Kristoff Kontos... talented forward, with puck skills, and can skate for a big, solid guy..
Whenever I saw him play, I was always impressed with how strong he was on the puck. Put up decent offensive numbers this year, that were hindered by playing for two poor offensive teams. I think his final ranking was 111 by CSB.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote