HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XV - The Luongo Trade-fights (Mod warnings in thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 11:18 PM
bobbyflex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish Your Czechs View Post
Lol

I'd also like to point out that if Burke was only offering Schenn, and now Schenn is gone, that either means that Toronto is out if the Luongo bid, or he'll have to pony up and part with some assets that actually have trade value.
i like you bro. you're crazy.... but i like you bro

Old
06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Vancouver should be happy to unload Luongo's contract for whatever prospect they can get. Why be difficult?
Because Vancouver has no obligation to unload an elite regular season goalie at a reasonable cap hit (by the time his contract's up the cap could be over 100 mill as far as we know), and Toronto absolutely needs one. Vancouver has something Toronto wants, and they don't have to give it up. If the Leafs want one of the best goalies in the league then they're going to have to pay up.

- Pens fan who couldn't care less about either teams' success

Old
06-23-2012, 11:27 PM
VanNucks

I wish Yzerman didn't take TB outta the running, because Malone and a 2nd for Luongo would've been perfect.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Provost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
Because Vancouver has no obligation to unload an elite regular season goalie at a reasonable cap hit (by the time his contract's up the cap could be over 100 mill as far as we know), and Toronto absolutely needs one. Vancouver has something Toronto wants, and they don't have to give it up. If the Leafs want one of the best goalies in the league then they're going to have to pay up.

- Pens fan who couldn't care less about either teams' success
I bet Toronto gets Hiller when Anaheim decides to retool their lineup....

Old
06-23-2012, 11:28 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
i'd be gay with that

Old
06-23-2012, 11:29 PM
ChillyPalmer

There's 2 teams in the running, both think the price is too high, take that for what it's worth.

I think Toronto dropped out of the running after dealing Luke.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
That's what I am thinking as well. The chance to offload such a contract and freeing up the number one goaltending position for someone like Cory Schneider could pay huge dividends for the Canucks.

Roberto Luongo, if freed from his current situation, could command a healthy return. But his contract is something that brings his value way, way down. There are too many ifs and it could end up screwing the Leafs over if they were to trade for him and his value in trade must reflect that reality.
What Leafs fans don't see is that the contract is a double edged sword.
Having a 5.3 cap hit is reasonable for Luongo's skill level, and as the cap hit goes up over time, it will offset his age. The term works just as much to the team's advantage as Luongo's age is to their disadvantage. You KNOW that you will have him, at the same cap hit, for at least 5-6 years, even when other players will sign for more and more money. That's got to be a big advantage to a competitive team. I'm not even going to get into the retirement part of the contract as it's been discussed to death and people still fail to realize how it works.

Of course logic is only a one way street for homers who selectively pick and choose facts that support their opinions

Old
06-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
If its Russian roulette you want to play, then spin the chamber, Boris.

If you want a sure bet, part with some assets and enjoy watching your team play games all April long.

Not saying, just saying.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Deleted due to subsequent post

Old
06-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
That's the one I was thinking of. No mention of Luongo in there.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNucks View Post
I wish Yzerman didn't take TB outta the running, because Malone and a 2nd for Luongo would've been perfect.
TB was never in the running.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:41 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Canucks goaltending more than likely refers to Luongo in this situation.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:41 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
And that's what I said earlier in a previous thread but was laughed. Tallon didn't specifically name Luongo as being the goaltender he spoke to Gillis about. Heck, for all we know, Tallon could have been inquiring about Cory Schneider but was thrown off by the asking price.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:43 PM
ChillyPalmer

lol, let's get real, I doubt Gillis would even discuss trading Schneider at this point.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:44 PM
kthsn

Luongo's "I'll do what's best for the team" means he's asking to be traded but Tallon's "talked about Canucks goaltending" is a mystery?

Really now.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:44 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
lol, let's get real, I doubt Gillis would even discuss trading Schneider at this point.
Canuck fans seem to think it's a possibility.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Canucks goaltending more than likely refers to Luongo in this situation.
Maybe yes, maybe no, but saying that Tallon talked specifically about Luongo is misleading as it's speculation.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

Quote:
Did he say "Luongo" or did he say "goaltending"? I thought I read the latter, were there two instances?
Even if he said goaltending (logic would imply he's interested in Schneider) he still has to part with some assets.

You think the price on Luongo is high? Serious assets will be given up for Schneider. Either way, Vancouver will only accept assets that actually serve our needs.

There's an obvious reason that the majority of Leaf fans are willing to part with Komi, Connolly, Armstrong, Lombardi, Kulemin, Schenn, MacArthur and later round picks. On the other side if the coin, there's a reason why Leaf fans won't part with Gardiner and 1-2 rounders etc etc. if you want a goaltender of Luongo's calibre, it's not coming cheap. Period.

I'm not saying you can't get a bargain, but there needs to be assets coming our way. Assets that fill orginizational needs.

I'm not being disrespectful or trolling. But Toronto has a few underachievers and it's part of their inability to make the post season. Vancouver isn't interested in those players.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:48 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
And that's what I said earlier in a previous thread but was laughed. Tallon didn't specifically name Luongo as being the goaltender he spoke to Gillis about. Heck, for all we know, Tallon could have been inquiring about Cory Schneider but was thrown off by the asking price.
I don't think they can specifically name players... or else, it could be seen as tampering... They speak in generalities... You shouldn't hear another team talk speifically about another player under contract about intent to sign, or attempt to trade for, by name... I'm sure it slips from time-to-time, but it could be seen as tampering...

Old
06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
ChillyPalmer

What Leafs fan wants to get rid of Kulemin?

Old
06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Maybe yes, maybe no, but saying that Tallon talked specifically about Luongo is misleading as it's speculation.
IIRC If he says Luongo by name it's tampering.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:53 PM
nhlfan9191

Vancouver fans. STOP saying that a 5.33 cap hit for 10 years is "reasonable".

Old
06-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
I don't think they can specifically name players... or else, it could be seen as tampering... They speak in generalities... You shouldn't hear another team talk speifically about another player under contract about intent to sign, or attempt to trade for, by name... I'm sure it slips from time-to-time, but it could be seen as tampering...
Exactly, but my point is that just because it could have been about Luongo (and perhaps logically was about him), it shouldn't be posted "Tallon talked to Gillis about Luongo." That's not fair to either GM, it's not fair to posters who may read it and not be aware of what was actually said, and it's yet another way rumors get started on message boards. We can argue all we want, we can speculate all we want, we can be as disrespectful to each other as much as we want and as long as the mods allow it, but at least try to be accurate so we spend more time bashing each other over facts, not inaccuracies.

It's like in the other Luongo thread (the one about Toronto not being done yet) where a poster said that Yzerman repeatedly said he wouldn't trade for Luongo unless Vancouver took Lecavalier in exchange. Of course, he never said anything whatsoever about Luongo, much less anything that specific. But it's stated as fact and, well, I'm a stickler for accuracy and that just annoys the life outta me.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
IIRC If he says Luongo by name it's tampering.
Yep, it would be.

And saying that Tallon spoke to Gillis about Luongo, based on that Tweet, is speculation or, at best, a misquote.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
What Leafs fan wants to get rid of Kulemin?
I assume you're replying to me. I see his name pop up in proposals here and there. Mostly Toronto fan based proposals.

Vancouver has Mason Raymond. Who's pretty much in par with Kulemin. You could argue that he's an upgrade on Raymond, but that's hardly incentive.

Closed Thread