Old
06-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I know it's not technically retired, but I really don't think anyone's gonna wear that number for a while.
Agreed.

It'd probably make me sad if it happened..

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:21 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

It's part of why I'd like to see it retired...because it really wouldn't feel right for anyone else to wear it.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
There was only one I could think of and that was Teuvo Tervainen, who dropped to 18th...
Wasn't he seen as more of a playmaker? Not that he couldn't score goals, but I don't remember anyone saying he was what could be called a sniper or goal scorer. To me he seems more similar to Granlund, in that he was a very talented offensive player who could score, but wasn't really a big time goal scorer.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
Wasn't he seen as more of a playmaker? Not that he couldn't score goals, but I don't remember anyone saying he was what could be called a sniper or goal scorer. To me he seems more similar to Granlund, in that he was a very talented offensive player who could score, but wasn't really a big time goal scorer.
From what I gather, he had all all-round package but was leaning more towards a goalscorer.

Doesn't matter, Dumba is still the better offensive producer, even if it is from the blueline.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Wildfish

Quote:
It's part of why I'd like to see it retired...because it really wouldn't feel right for anyone else to wear it.
I agree. I'm not big on player numbers but I'd rather not see anyone wear #24 for a long time.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:41 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Boogaard died a Ranger, where his number was #94. I wouldn't have a problem with it if the kid wants it, once someone explained the history to him. Especially given the physicality in his game, I'd see it as a tribute.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:41 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
Boogaard died a Ranger, where his number was #94. I wouldn't have a problem with it if the kid wants it. Especially given the physicality in his game, I'd see it as a tribute.
He played 20 games there. New Yorkers agree, his legacy is here.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
Out of curiousity, which goal scoring forward?
Grigs or Teuvo. But what I really wanted to happen at that point was we trade down somehow, but considering how the top 10 went I can see why that simply was not possible. No one needed to be in a hurry to jump on the forward they wanted cause everyone was dropping, and I just dont see anyone trading up to pick a blueliner.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Grigs or Teuvo. But what I really wanted to happen at that point was we trade down somehow, but considering how the top 10 went I can see why that simply was not possible. No one needed to be in a hurry to jump on the forward they wanted cause everyone was dropping, and I just dont see anyone trading up to pick a blueliner.
You really shouldn't be disappointed. Dumba wasn't my first choice but the more I read about him, the more I like him.

We just picked up the prospect with arguably the highest upside, including Nail Yakupov, Mikhail Grigorenko, and Alex Galchenyuk, in turns on impact power.

He is arguably the best skater, best shooter, and best hitter.

If you wanted someone safe, then I understand your disappointment, but if you wanted offensive upside, we just got THE top guy for that patrols the blueline.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
You really shouldn't be disappointed. Dumba wasn't my first choice but the more I read about him, the more I like him.

We just picked up the prospect with arguably the highest upside, including Nail Yakupov, Mikhail Grigorenko, and Alex Galchenyuk, in turns on impact power.

He is arguably the best skater, best shooter, and best hitter.

If you wanted someone safe, then I understand your disappointment, but if you wanted offensive upside, we just got THE top guy for that patrols the blueline.
Like I've tried to explain, I'm not disappointed with the pick itself, just how we used the pick.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:34 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Like I've tried to explain, I'm not disappointed with the pick itself, just how we used the pick.
It takes two to tango, or something like that.

If Dumba was so high on their draft board (let's say ranked #4-#5 depending), then you have to take him at #7. Take your guy and move on.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:36 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
You are too overly emotional about very small things.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:02 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
There was only one I could think of and that was Teuvo Tervainen, who dropped to 18th...
And it's not exactly clear that TT is a goal scoring forward. Despite some of his numbers, all reports on him seem to indicate he's a pass first type guy.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 250
Quote:
Well then you better retire 33 and 38 too.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You are too overly emotional about very small things.
Same could be said for you on a few things.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:27 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

After watching his post draft interview in the HF article, a couple notes:

He really really emphasizes that the coaches and GMs will decide what they decide, but he wants to be here now. If that's not to be, he'll work even harder to get there.

Every team discussion he leads team first. When talking about getting a lot of ice time in Red Deer "Yeah, we all got plenty of time with injuries and such." He seems very down to earth and appreciative of everything.

Last, and most importantly, he says Minnesota like a Minnesotan. It's "Minna-sooo-dah."

Old
06-24-2012, 01:29 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post

Last, and most importantly, he says Minnesota like a Minnesotan. It's "Minna-sooo-dah."
Yeah, not a "Minny" anywhere to be heard!!

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:39 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
I can remember a lot of people wanting Zholi's number retired when he passed away. It was tragic, and the thought of seeing another Wild player wearing that number felt so wrong on so many levels. But as the years went by, it wasn't a touchy subject anymore. Seeing #33 out there again wouldn't be depressing now. Sure, it'll spark some memories, but you have to move forward. It's just like when some wanted Walz's number retired after he left. Yes, that was a very different circumstance that didn't include tragedy. And although I didn't want it retired, I couldn't have imagined seeing that number out there again either. It wouldn't be right. But as time went on, it wasn't an issue. Was happy that Harding actually took it. The death of Boogs and Demo is still pretty recent. Those wounds haven't healed yet, so it's natural to cringe at the thought of anyone sporting it. But give it more time.

I'm sure Dumba knows about Boogie, and would probably ask for the team's blessing first. Retiring a number is a very rare thing that is reserved for very special accomplishments that are made over many years with a club. And while Boogie was a great guy who gave us great memories to cherish, I don't think it'd be appropriate to hang up that number. Just put it on a shelf for a while, which is what they're doing.

JMO

Last edited by NHL1674: 06-24-2012 at 01:48 AM.
NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

I agree with Avder. I wish we could have done more with the pick. I like Dumba, just wish there was more.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
You want to be the Oilers instead with all those forwards an no prayerof stopping a puck or getting it out of your zone to say the least?

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
You want to be the Oilers instead with all those forwards an no prayerof stopping a puck or getting it out of your zone to say the least?
At least we are full of goalies. They have some pretty good D prospects on the way, just not close to NHL ready.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:51 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
The organization clearly felt that there was a drop off of talent (and I don't blame them) and that the guy they had probably on the top of their draft boards wasn't going to be there if they moved down.

Minnesota wanted to get a dynamic player and they did.

Grigs and TT have too many questions compared to Dumba.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:52 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
At least we are full of goalies. They have some pretty good D prospects on the way, just not close to NHL ready.
Great. So they'll pick up another #1 overall pick again.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:53 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I agree with Avder. I wish we could have done more with the pick. I like Dumba, just wish there was more.
I know I said something similar prior to the pick (100% because I was convinced they would not pick Dumba, otherwise I would have been all for them grabbing him) but in retrospect, what could they have done? The phone wasn't ringing, and no one wanted to move up. Maybe they could have moved back to Buffalo's pick at 12 (playing on fear of Washington grabbing Grigs) but judging from the lack of movement around that point, they wouldn't have offered much. We could have maybe gotten their second to move down to 12th. That's way too far to move down for just a 2nd with Dumba on the board. I have no doubt that Pittsburgh would have taken him at 8 if he was still there.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Great. So they'll pick up another #1 overall pick again.
Why is that bad? Some teams just seemingly are forever stuck sucking, like the Isles.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote