HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
according to peterson via forechecker ... tootoo turned down a sizable 3 year contract
What is "sizable?"

Old
06-23-2012, 09:57 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
What is "sizable?"
3 years 6 million ? who knows?

Old
06-23-2012, 10:21 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
If tootoo got that offer and turned it down I'm thinking he's fallen off the wagon.... I just don't see other teams clamoring for his services

Old
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If tootoo got that offer and turned it down I'm thinking he's fallen off the wagon.... I just don't see other teams clamoring for his services
free agency is crazy nowadays. im thinking he gets 2 million per year

Old
06-23-2012, 10:29 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
free agency is crazy nowadays. im thinking he gets 2 million per year
Easily. So what are you guys saying about Poile and Burke?

Old
06-23-2012, 10:34 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Easily. So what are you guys saying about Poile and Burke?
rephrase the question, please?

Old
06-23-2012, 10:36 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
possible leafs and preds trade?
Where is this from?

Old
06-23-2012, 10:54 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Wonder how many of the Pollyannas would have scoffed at Suter for JVR or Matt Read before the deadline.
The same JVR who was concussed through out January and February? If only we'd traded Suter for something before the deadline and the Devils traded Parise for something than we could have lost to NJ in the finals because moving a known quality who fills a key role on a roster makes so much sense.

For all of the times you call others "pollyannas", it seems that those who take a more measured look at this team and its performance tend to gauge where things are and where they are going much more accurately than you and your constant gloom/doom view. The proclamations that we're going to suck and won't make the playoffs keep getting met by 100 point seasons and playoff appearances. There are flaws in the team, there are areas that could use improvement, but this is a very good team year in and year out. There simply isn't a need for drastic overhauls, just tweaks. Of course, realizing and admitting that reveals just how over the top the rants and calling people "pollyannas" truly is.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:41 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The same JVR who was concussed through out January and February? If only we'd traded Suter for something before the deadline and the Devils traded Parise for something than we could have lost to NJ in the finals because moving a known quality who fills a key role on a roster makes so much sense.

For all of the times you call others "pollyannas", it seems that those who take a more measured look at this team and its performance tend to gauge where things are and where they are going much more accurately than you and your constant gloom/doom view. The proclamations that we're going to suck and won't make the playoffs keep getting met by 100 point seasons and playoff appearances. There are flaws in the team, there are areas that could use improvement, but this is a very good team year in and year out. There simply isn't a need for drastic overhauls, just tweaks. Of course, realizing and admitting that reveals just how over the top the rants and calling people "pollyannas" truly is.
Drastic overhauls is having to change our team identity because one or both or our superstar defenseman skip town in retrn for jack ****.

Tweaking would be trading a Suter for a younger, comparable player whose contract we'd be able to control for the next several years.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-24-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Flaming/filter circumvention
Old
06-24-2012, 07:49 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

"Pollyannas" sure does get misused quite a bit around here, and, to be honest, it's starting to be used more as an insult or a way to mock a poster than anything else. It seems like I've read something about insulting and mocking posters...

Oh wait, here it is:

Quote:
1) Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack. Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members; or make posts about ignore lists.
Tread lightly with that stuff.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:53 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Where is this from?
poile and burke were talking at the draft. burke also talked alot to holmgren and they completed a trade yesterday. couple that with an article being adament burke isn't done.. and the rumor is its burke talking to preds

Old
06-24-2012, 10:12 AM
token grinder

don't you think many gms were talking at the draft? they could have been talking about team usa, who know. Anyone report anything that they were talking about?

Old
06-24-2012, 10:33 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
don't you think many gms were talking at the draft? they could have been talking about team usa, who know. Anyone report anything that they were talking about?
nothing concrete ive seen.. i think it could have been kicking the tires on a wilson for schenn deal

Old
06-24-2012, 11:01 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Drastic overhauls is having to change our team identity because one or both or our superstar defenseman skip town in retrn for jack ****.

Tweaking would be trading a Suter for a younger, comparable player whose contract we'd be able to control for the next several years.
Suter may or may not leave as a free agent with nothing in return. It happens quite often across the league. Keeping him at the deadline was the right move because shipping him out at that time would have created a bigger hole in our roster than any prospective return would have filled. The fact that both sides are still talking is indicative of Suter not writing off a return to the Preds long term. Sully went to the open market in 09, Kovy did so before his long term deal with the Devils. Once again, not a rare occurrence.

Weber leave for nothing? Hmmmm ... let's see he's a RESTRICTED free agent so worst case he shops around this summer for an offer sheet, signs one, and it is for such a ridiculous amount that Poile wouldn't match it in which case we get four first round draft picks (a highly unlikely scenario). If it is clear that he wants out next summer and either files for arbitration or signs a one year deal there is an entire season to shop him and find the right deal without making a panic based trade. Losing both "in return for jack ****" is about as likely as winning the powerball and megamillions on consecutive days.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-24-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:37 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
"Pollyannas" sure does get misused quite a bit around here, and, to be honest, it's starting to be used more as an insult or a way to mock a poster than anything else. It seems like I've read something about insulting and mocking posters...

Oh wait, here it is:

Tread lightly with that stuff.
FWIW, I'm not saying you can't use the term. Everyone just needs to be mindful of how they are using phrases like it. When you cross into the name-calling territory you are violating the flaming rule, and this place has already shown a propensity for getting entirely too personal very quickly.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:52 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
If Toots turned that down then he is flat stupid.

On the other hand, I can't believe we would offer him that much. He ain't worth 2 mil per yr

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-24-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: offensive
Old
06-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Legionnaire11

I still think he's a good fit for Edmonton, they've got so many young, skilled guys that they could use a veteran grinder like Toots who can also provide some protection for them in terms of fighting.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I still think he's a good fit for Edmonton, they've got so many young, skilled guys that they could use a veteran grinder like Toots who can also provide some protection for them in terms of fighting.
Definitely a match. Teams like Tampa, Columbus (ew), and Winnipeg that could use some forward depth might also work.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Definitely a match. Teams like Tampa, Columbus (ew), and Winnipeg that could use some forward depth might also work.
Top-6 forward depth is needed here, not bottom-6. Besides, Tootoo's role is already adequately filled by Dorsett.

I still think he's going to end up in Winnipeg, though. Not so much for team needs as the fact that it's closest to the Tootoo family.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I still think he's going to end up in Winnipeg, though. Not so much for team needs as the fact that it's closest to the Tootoo family.
That's the other one i've been saying. It would be marketing genius for them, as if they need help selling tickets/merchandise.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:55 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

so, on the trade board I suggested C Wilson + one of Blum/Ellis and one of Spaling/Halischuk/Bourque for Ryan....

personally I would do that in a heartbeat, especially if it convinced Suter and/or Weber to stay long term...

Old
06-25-2012, 12:57 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
That's the other one i've been saying. It would be marketing genius for them, as if they need help selling tickets/merchandise.
but thats exactly the point... they need zero help with marketing, but 100% help with winning hockey, and overpaying for tootoo doesn't help them at all, especially if they aren't going to be a cap team..

Old
06-25-2012, 08:10 AM
cleangene

Since today is the deadline for QO to be in, will there be an announcement from the team as to who got one and who didn't? I am in high hopes that everything with the fax machine worked perfectly this year.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:26 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Since today is the deadline for QO to be in, will there be an announcement from the team as to who got one and who didn't? I am in high hopes that everything with the fax machine worked perfectly this year.
didnt poile already say the QO's had been proffered several days ago? or did I imagine that?

Old
06-25-2012, 08:27 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
didnt poile already say the QO's had been proffered several days ago? or did I imagine that?
You did not imagine that.

Closed Thread