With the #7 pick, the Wild select Mathew Dumba

Old
06-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I know I said something similar prior to the pick (100% because I was convinced they would not pick Dumba, otherwise I would have been all for them grabbing him) but in retrospect, what could they have done? The phone wasn't ringing, and no one wanted to move up. Maybe they could have moved back to Buffalo's pick at 12 (playing on fear of Washington grabbing Grigs) but judging from the lack of movement around that point, they wouldn't have offered much. We could have maybe gotten their second to move down to 12th. That's way too far to move down for just a 2nd with Dumba on the board. I have no doubt that Pittsburgh would have taken him at 8 if he was still there.
Thats why I'm saying wish instead of should have pulled the trigger. Probably the right move, because of the talent drop off.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Last, and most importantly, he says Minnesota like a Minnesotan. It's "Minna-sooo-dah."
I noticed that, too!

The kid said all the right things IMO.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

They are all prepared to. They are put through a lot of interviews by the time they get here. Hard not to learn that skill.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:06 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Loved his accent. He'll fit right in.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
They are all prepared to. They are put through a lot of interviews by the time they get here. Hard not to learn that skill.
You can't teach a kid to say Minnesooota like that. And the story about him and his Mom at last year's draft - that rang 100% true IMO. And the smile, that wasn't fake. Sure the kids are coached, but he came off 100% real to me. All the minutes he played - that was an honest reply, too, I think. Maybe I'm naive, but his answers sounded and looked totally sincere to me; the kid is really excited and happy to be drafted by the Wild. No Lindros or Manning here.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
You can't teach a kid to say Minnesooota like that. And the story about him and his Mom at last year's draft - that rang 100% true IMO. And the smile, that wasn't fake. Sure the kids are coached, but he came off 100% real to me. All the minutes he played - that was an honest reply, too, I think. Maybe I'm naive, but his answers sounded and looked totally sincere to me; the kid is really excited and happy to be drafted by the Wild. No Lindros or Manning here.
I'll be a homer all I want but playing in Minnesota has to be so exciting for any player, even Canadians, and especially now. This state has never been riper for a successful NHL team and with the prospect pool right now there isn't a team that was inside the top 10 nearly as appealing as the Wild IMO. He gets to play in front of a great crowd that, outside of HFBoards posters, is very easy going and understanding of the way the game is played. I love the pick and think most fans do too, can't wait to see him suit up play his heart out, that's all you can ask out of a player.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:51 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
You want to be the Oilers instead with all those forwards an no prayerof stopping a puck or getting it out of your zone to say the least?
No, but at the same time, I want a forward who is not afraid to pull the damned trigger. We need more shooters. We're overloaded with playmakers, and we have no one who can really be called a goal scorer. Heatley is on the downswing. Seto is probably not going to become a big time goal scoring machine. And assuming we get Parise, even his numbers are in decline (granted he was on a bounce back year, but still), and getting him feels like a Stretch.

So where do we get our scoring from? That's whats really bothering me. This team is last in the league in scoring, pretty sure were near the bottom in shots on goal, and it's been that way since day one of the whole franchise.

That's why I felt it would probably have been best to go with a forward at #7.

We didn't tho. We picked a defenseman, and I like what it looks like he will be bringing to the table. The blueline needed some hard hitting, hard shooting action, and it looks like Dumba can fit the bill. And more still, I love the kids enthusiasm and it sounds like he has one hell of a work ethic. I can't wait to see what he does in a Wild sweater, either this year or next year.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:59 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
No, but at the same time, I want a forward who is not afraid to pull the damned trigger. We need more shooters. We're overloaded with playmakers, and we have no one who can really be called a goal scorer. Heatley is on the downswing. Seto is probably not going to become a big time goal scoring machine. And assuming we get Parise, even his numbers are in decline (granted he was on a bounce back year, but still), and getting him feels like a Stretch.

So where do we get our scoring from? That's whats really bothering me. This team is last in the league in scoring, pretty sure were near the bottom in shots on goal, and it's been that way since day one of the whole franchise.

We didn't tho. We picked a defenseman, and I like what it looks like he will be bringing to the table. The blueline needed some hard hitting, hard shooting action, and it looks like Dumba can fit the bill. And more still, I love the kids enthusiasm and it sounds like he has one hell of a work ethic. I can't wait to see what he does in a Wild sweater, either this year or next year.
Seriously? As has been pointed out ad nauseum, there weren't any shoot first players we could have selected. TT isn't shoot first, and the organization wasn't going to draft a Russian. Unless you're going to argue we should have picked a second rounder with our first, or that somehow Faksa is some sort of sniper, there wasn't a forward on the board you would have been happy with. Having a C or W next to your name on a stat sheet doesn't magically make you a shooter.

In fact, Dumba's 20 goals led defensemen (in the entire WHL and possibly the whole CHL IIRC). As far as shoot first players go, he was almost certainly the most shoot first player remaining. Furthermore, with our second round pick we selected one of the most shoot first players left on the board as well. As I've been parroting for months now, you can't pick what's not on the board. Magically wishing and saying "we need a sniper" doesn't make one available for this draft.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Ovechkid08

Quote:

You would be surprised how much goal scoring comes from the backend, clean breakouts and stretch passes cause way more goals in the NHL than a natural goalscorer just being able to barrel into the zone and put it in, Ovechkin was the first in quite a while to be able to consistently just barge into the zone and score. I loved Scandella's game last year simply because he wasn't afraid to hold onto the puck in order to get a crisp pass off. With Brodin coming in and his fantastic lateral movement on top of Spurgeon's great first pass ability I think this team will be far superior offensively in the next few years.

Schultz was excellent in transition but I am so glad that I no longer have to see him feel rushed and just dump the puck up along the boards. Anyone that has played wing can tell you how annoying it is when a defenseman can't even buy the time to make a solid outlet pass, the first pass is what gives the wingers the time to be creative enough to get it out, and that first pass has been neglected in this organization since it's inception. When people say the Wild are boring its completely understandable based on how terrible our breakouts have been forever. Without the solid outlet the center or farside winger can never have the freedom to stretch into open offensive ice and we see billions of dump and changes, something that I think will be changing soon with our better passing defenseman.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Like I've tried to explain, I'm not disappointed with the pick itself, just how we used the pick.
Now you are confusing. You're not disappointed in picking Dumba, but your disappointed we didn't take a forward?

That makes no sense to me. You're either disappointed at both, or not all.

If you wanted a forward, fine. Dumba wasn't my first choice either. But looking at the available options, the only players we could have got was Grigorenko and Teravainen.

If these forwards were pick, I wouldn't be upset either, but Dumba brings alot of great things as well. I could not be disappointed in any of them being a Wild, and seeing one of them is actually now a Wild, I'm not disappointed.

He brings alot of things we need and I'm excited to see them develop.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:28 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

As posted i also think he will have to think about wearing #24 but as written from others, the jersey isnt retired therefore it can be used if the organization feels that its right...

If someone should wear it, it has to be someone with the right ethic, and Dumba fits this category perfectly. He plays with his heart outside the jersey and this would be his tribute to our beloved Boogy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJGM7TJDQmw

And as for all you other "growers" he is growing a ton on me as every minute goes..

So happy with this guy..!

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:31 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Meh, Boogaard wasn't with the team when he passed. Dumba wearing the #24 will be a non-issue just as Nummelin wearing #33 was a non-issue and Kampfer wearing #38 was a non-issue.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

I'm so glad I picked the right horse, last year I had to go from wtf is our draft board doing to semi-ok with it to ok with it to giddy about it to glad about it, now I've just been sincerely ecstasic about the pick since Friday.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

I'm happy with this pick, I wanted one of Trouba, Rielly and Dumba and I got Dumba. Of course we need scoring but we do have much better forward depth coming but no real d-man so it was vital to get one this early in the draft and I think he will turn out great for us

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Now you are confusing. You're not disappointed in picking Dumba, but your disappointed we didn't take a forward?

That makes no sense to me. You're either disappointed at both, or not all.

If you wanted a forward, fine. Dumba wasn't my first choice either. But looking at the available options, the only players we could have got was Grigorenko and Teravainen.

If these forwards were pick, I wouldn't be upset either, but Dumba brings alot of great things as well. I could not be disappointed in any of them being a Wild, and seeing one of them is actually now a Wild, I'm not disappointed.

He brings alot of things we need and I'm excited to see them develop.
Okay here I made a handy graphic that might finally explain my reasoning when I say I am disappointed with how we used the pick, not who we got with it. And this is about as basic as I can make it:

If you want I can make it a little more detailed, but I really hope you understand at least the basics of my mindset now.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:07 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

We needed a defensive prospect more than any other bar none period. Not sure how anyone can be disappointed that this team chose a defenseman.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Okay here I made a handy graphic that might finally explain my reasoning when I say I am disappointed with how we used the pick, not who we got with it. And this is about as basic as I can make it:

If you want I can make it a little more detailed, but I really hope you understand at least the basics of my mindset now.

Fixed your logic for you, but I get where its coming from. Dumba is just BPA out of these imo.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:11 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post

Fixed your logic for you, but I get where its coming from. Dumba is just BPA out of these imo.
Who is Tuevo?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Who is Tuevo?
I'm pretty sure he is closely related to... KIOVU!

Old
06-24-2012, 08:18 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
I'm pretty sure he is closely related to... KIOVU!
Kiovu.. Is he related to that Koivo fellow that the swedes talk about sometimes?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

This thread is getting gooder.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Kiovu.. Is he related to that Koivo fellow that the swedes talk about sometimes?
Goes right into the same family tree with Zibaneape and Landesbög.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:32 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Teuvo Teräväinen will be pure pain for the commentators.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Teuvo Teräväinen will be pure pain for the commentators.
The Czech announcers went with Toivo Teravainena in U18's.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:

I get where you are coming from, but I find that faulty logic. The diagram is a step-by-step formula.

Sure, you aren't disappointed with Dumba, but your already disappointed...

You are saying you aren't disappointed (Dumba) with the disappointment(defense)...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote