Last pick, #188 is....Louie Nanne

Old
06-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Well than let me clarify my position as stated at the start of this. There is a difference between the 3rd and 7th. It's pretty clear. However I believe it to be quite small. It's certainly not as large of a difference as you would think.

So that's why I'm not favor of using a 7th-rounder on a player that wouldn't sniff the draft without that last name. Take it seriously, just like you would a 3rd-rounder. I mean, Nanne was below a point per game last year in Minnesota high school. His offensive numbers aren't even in the same ballpark as other Minnesotans that have been drafted.
I guess I'm in the two schools of thought.

Obviously, you must take seriously, its a pick and those picks can always turn into a player, if not, can be used for currency in trades. Either way, they should be taken seriously. I 100% agree with you here.

I guess what I am against you with is that Nanne was purely a PR move. Obviously, I've never seen him play. But in addition, I never grew up a hockey fan nor do I know much about local hockey, meaning the name Nanne means nothing to me.

I take it for what it is, a quick and aggressive forward that plays a good defensive game, who plays hard and forechecks hard. Limited offense, and small size.

I trust Flahr and Co. enough to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they chose him because they felt he would be a good project going forward. IMO Flahr has not done us wrong in the draft so far, and I have no reason to think he would start now.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:59 AM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Here's the reasoning behind 3 college bound kids in the draft from Fletcher.

Additionally... why are you so stressed out about a 7th round pick? Most don't make the pros, and only a few actually make an impact.
Don't get me wrong, I loved this draft for the Wild but saying this wasn't a PR move is just a lie and I thought that needed to be made clear. Sure maybe he can develop into a decent player a long time down the road but the chances are incredibly small in my own opinion and in terms of players that I have extensively seen that were eligible for the draft, he was way way way back on my list. I could be wrong but this is a message board so thought I would state my opinion based on 15+ years of extensive MN high school hockey experiences. I'm not trying to degrade him as a person as I don't know him that well personally but my loyalties lie with the Wild as an organization and if they wanted to get a player with their final pick I personally think they failed.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:00 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I loved this draft for the Wild but saying this wasn't a PR move is just a lie and I thought that needed to be made clear. Sure maybe he can develop into a decent player a long time down the road but the chances are incredibly small in my own opinion and in terms of players that I have extensively seen that were eligible for the draft, he was way way way back on my list. I could be wrong but this is a message board so thought I would state my opinion based on 15+ years of extensive MN high school hockey experiences. I'm not trying to degrade him as a person as I don't know him that well personally but my loyalties lie with the Wild as an organization and if they wanted to get a player with their final pick I personally think they failed.
Is the assessment that Nanne is very fast, hardworking, and good defensively and on forecheck false? Just wondering since I've never seen him play.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Is the assessment that Nanne is very fast, hardworking, and good defensively and on forecheck false? Just wondering since I've never seen him play.
This is the assessment in comparison to the MN high school league, AKA he played a solid second/third line kind of game although he was fast enough to be a contributor throughout high school during some down years for Edina. Defensive play actually gives me some question marks for the scouting reports, he hustled back and had solid positioning, but nothing that I would expect beyond a top 50 player in the high school league, his stickwork needs to advance and I question his abilities against top players with similar speed. Kloos had a lot of the same issues IMO, while the speed looks good in MN I am quite uncertain that it will translate to anything beyond that level. I see Nanne as Tony Lucia come again at the college level and not much else beyond.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
This is the assessment in comparison to the MN high school league, AKA he played a solid second/third line kind of game although he was fast enough to be a contributor throughout high school during some down years for Edina. Defensive play actually gives me some question marks for the scouting reports, he hustled back and had solid positioning, but nothing that I would expect beyond a top 50 player in the high school league, his stickwork needs to advance and I question his abilities against top players with similar speed. Kloos had a lot of the same issues IMO, while the speed looks good in MN I am quite uncertain that it will translate to anything beyond that level. I see Nanne as Tony Lucia come again at the college level and not much else beyond.
Well, the reason I ask is because, again I haven't see him so I can only trust you:

I've heard that he has decent tools to work with. Speed, hardwork, and plays with grit. I like those tools and have faith in Flahr in that he knows what he is doing.

For example, Derek Boogaard managed to carve a decent career in the NHL. He wasn't the best hockey player but he served his role very well, and he wasn't a very good player in the WHL. His role was to be a cheap bottom six enforcer who played limited minutes but dish out punishment.

Say our future role for Nanne is a bottom six forward that is cheap and that skates fast and hard, plays with constant energy and grit, and is extremely coachable. If that is the role we want Nanne to fill in, is it not possible for him to become such a player with the current tools he does have and the 4 years he will have in college?

Last edited by Circulartheory: 06-24-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old
06-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Well, the reason I ask is because, again I haven't see him so I can only trust you:

I've heard that he has decent tools to work with. Speed, hardwork, and plays with grit. I like those tools and have faith in Flahr in that he knows what he is doing.

For example, Derek Boogaard managed to carve a decent career in the NHL. He wasn't the best hockey player but he served his role very well, and he wasn't a very good player in the WHL. His role was to be a cheap bottom six enforcer who played limited minutes but dish out punishment.

Say our future role for Nanne is a bottom six forward that is cheap and that skates fast and hard, plays with constant energy and grit, and is extremely coachable. If that is the role we want Nanne to fill in, is it not possible for him to become such a player with the current tools he does have and the 4 years he will have in college?
Its possible certainly, although I would expect a bottom liner to have a far greater physical presence based on our teams current and projected team style. If we wanted a 4th line player though I think there were quite a few far better physically developed or safer players to pick at that spot, again if that was the reason we drafted him, (and I think that's how it will be rationalized) it was a poor pick.

Then again we are lacking in bottom 3 forward prospects but honestly they can be had in this league for so little that I truly dislike wasting 1 out of our 7 yearly player choices on a guy with low odds to even be a 4th line contributor.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Its possible certainly, although I would expect a bottom liner to have a far greater physical presence based on our teams current and projected team style. If we wanted a 4th line player though I think there were quite a few far better physically developed or safer players to pick at that spot, again if that was the reason we drafted him, (and I think that's how it will be rationalized) it was a poor pick.

Then again we are lacking in bottom 3 forward prospects but honestly they can be had in this league for so little that I truly dislike wasting 1 out of our 7 yearly player choices on a guy with low odds to even be a 4th line contributor.
Again, I agree, not too much a fan of this pick.

But the thing I am arguing against is that "the Wild pick him for purely PR reasons".

I am trying to keep an open-mind here, and looking at the tools he has and the role most likely given to him, I believe there is a proper rationale on why he was selected with our 7th round pick.

I am not convinced he was the best pick at the time, but I do believe there are reasons other than "PR" that factored and made him a Wild prospect.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:18 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
I apologize.

Can I request that we extend this "past 15 seasons" because that really just limits us to 1997, and since we're not allowed to look at 2005+, its really only just 8 seasons...not a very large sample number

But based on that small sample, I have 3rd round outperforming the 7th round...barely

Year3rd Round7th RoundWinner
2004Sami Lepisto, Brandon Prust, Andrej Sekera, Tim Brent, Clayton Stoner, Alexei Emelin, Peter Regin, Alexander Edler, Thomas Greiss, Johan Franzen, Dustin BoydTroy Brouwer, Matt Hunwick, Chris CampoliClearly 3rd Round

2003Colin Fraser, Daniel Carcillo, Clarke MacArthur, Ryan O'Byrne, Zack StortiniJoe Pavelski, Kyle BrodziakLean to 7th because of Pavelski

2002Greg Campbell, Frans Nielsen, Matthew Lombardi, Valtteri FilppulaDavid Van Der GulikClearly 3rd Round

2001Tomas Plekanec, Jay Harrison, Aaron Johnson, Stephane Veilleux, Patrick SharpDerek Boogaard, Cristobal Huet, David Moss, Johnny Oduya, Marek Svatos3rd Round

2000Michael Rupp, Kurt Sauer, Dominic MooreHenrik Lundqvist, Matthew Lombardi, Paul Gaustad, Antti MiettinenClearly 7th round

1999Niklas Hagman, Frantisek Kaberle, Craig Anderson, Niclas Havelid, Mike Comrie, Branko Radivojevic, Chris KellyMartin Erat, Tom Kostopoulos, Henrik Zetterberg, Radim VrbataClearly 7th round

1998Denis Arkhipov, Brad Richards, Jarkko Ruutu, Erik Cole, Francois Beauchemin, Brian Gionta, Matt WalkerTyler ArnasonClearly 3rd round

1997Maxim Afinogenov, Ville NieminenTodd Fedoruk, Ladislav Nagy, Mike Mottau, Shawn ThorntonEven (can't decide between Afinogenov vs. tough guys)
Yeah, a couple of those years you're awarding 7th round as winner because of quality not quantity. Look at 1999. Seven 3rd rounders and four 7th rounders, and you give the nod to the 7th round. . . and "clearly". Why? Because of Zetterberg, of course.

Sorry, but that's not the way to look at it. That's before we even get into the Euro transition and how much better Euro scouting is now than then. There are 30 teams --you can't do what you just did there and use quality of one pick to overwhelm an almost 2-1 advantage in quantity.

Let's just ask a simple common sense question. Are you as happy to take a 7th rounder in return on a trade as you are to take a 3rd rounder? Go ahead. Try to tell us you are.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
Yeah, a couple of those years you're awarding 7th round as winner because of quality not quantity. Look at 1999. Seven 3rd rounders and four 7th rounders, and you give the nod to the 7th round. . . and "clearly". Why? Because of Zetterberg, of course.

Sorry, but that's not the way to look at it. That's before we even get into the Euro transition and how much better Euro scouting is now than then. There are 30 teams --you can't do what you just did there and use quality of one pick to overwhelm an almost 2-1 advantage in quantity.

Let's just ask a simple common sense question. Are you as happy to take a 7th rounder in return on a trade as you are to take a 3rd rounder? Go ahead. Try to tell us you are.
I'm on your side, don't worry

Either way, this argument goes nowhere. SoH can't say 3rd rounders do not differ that much from 7th rounders by looking at 2005 (because anything more recent is too soon, and anything later is under the old draft system and arcane scouting methods).

I am 100% against SoH on this argument but none of us can use "stats" to help our argument because none of the draft years before truly apply due to outside factors.

Last edited by Circulartheory: 06-24-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old
06-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In hindsight, if this was a pick to placate the nanne family, I'm okay with it. Senior Lou is a guy you want on your side.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:15 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

This thread is hilarity!

Also, I like the way Nanne plays. If he hits a growth spurt and inevitably fills out, everyone will be loving this pick a few years down the line. Yes, ifs and all that jazz... But this IS a 7th round pick which are inherently filled with ifs to begin with.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Here's the reasoning behind 3 college bound kids in the draft from Fletcher.

Additionally... why are you so stressed out about a 7th round pick? Most don't make the pros, and only a few actually make an impact.
You made my point for me - I think the Wild honestly like the kid. Now they can let him go to BC for a year, then the U, and 5 years later maybe they have a guy who can play a role.

Some of those higher rated junior kids might still be available to invite to development camp, like we see every year, and if the Wild like them, they can sign them.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Jbcraig1883

It seems that there were other options on the draft board (per Russo's article) but that they were not college bound, which allows GMCF to take a look at them by inviting them to camp.

Nm, Bookman beat me to it.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Bullrun

this is just payment for Nanne making public the Wild's plans for offering Parise a huge contract....

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:16 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
hey, at least it's not Gui! The topic, i mean.
seriously, this kid doesn't sound any better or worse than anyone else we could pick around then unless we were needing/looking for something very specific (goon), which we weren't. what 7th round pick isn't a project?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullrun View Post
this is just payment for Nanne making public the Wild's plans for offering Parise a huge contract....
I'm a little disappointed it took 5 pages for someone to spit that one out. . .

Hmm, Parise for a 7th. . . okay, I'll do that deal.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
I'm a little disappointed it took 5 pages for someone to spit that one out. . .

Hmm, Parise for a 7th. . . okay, I'll do that deal.

Not to toot my own horn......but I brought this up on page 2.

MuckOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
captain AARON MAIDEN*

Quote:
1997Maxim Afinogenov, Ville NieminenTodd Fedoruk, Ladislav Nagy, Mike Mottau, Shawn ThorntonEven (can't decide between Afinogenov vs. tough guys)

lol dude, you need to stop posting stupid things. Ladi Nagy's a tough guy?? one of the most talented and skilled player in the '97 draft.

captain AARON MAIDEN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

HFWild needs moar ad hominem.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:09 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300

MuckOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPailleIsSick View Post
lol dude, you need to stop posting stupid things. Ladi Nagy's a tough guy?? one of the most talented and skilled player in the '97 draft.
Well, I thought you guys would be able to get my point without spelling everything out. I know Nagy isn't a tough guy and I know he's skilled. Point is Afinogenov (IMO) the most skilled player out of the player listed so it was quality vs quantity debate.

Sorry for overestimating your ability. I'll give you special attention next time.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Yeah, I'm over it. Let's see how he does at the U.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
GORGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz1 View Post
If his last name was not Nanne there is no way on God's green earth he gets picked. He had 27 points all year in Minnesota high school last year (and Minnesota high school hockey is apparently viewed by scouts as so weak these days that almost no players were picked). He didn't even play on the first line for his team.

It's only a 7th round pick, and almost nobody from that round makes the NHL, but that's no reason to throw away the pick. This smacks of a team not even taking the draft seriously. It's simply a PR move, and a stupid one at that.
Well said..Agree 100%..I'm not here to rip on the kid cause it's not his fault, but how ridiculous is this? C'mon Fletch your brighter than that!

GORGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
Well said..Agree 100%..I'm not here to rip on the kid cause it's not his fault, but how ridiculous is this? C'mon Fletch your brighter than that!
I suspect if anything, it is more loyalty to his father than his grandfather. I don't have a problem with that with a 7th, if you like the kids work ethic too, and they do.