HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick #117 - Taylor Leier, Left Wing, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

Old
06-23-2012, 11:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Pick #117 - Taylor Leier, Left Wing, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

Portland Winterhawks forward

Last edited by GKJ: 06-23-2012 at 11:29 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:28 AM
augster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Coming soon
taylor leire, lw, portland

augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:29 AM
FLYguy3911

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...htm?dpid=10360

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:29 AM
FLYguy3911

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45615

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:30 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Put a bird on him

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:31 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 588

Hometown: Saskatoon, SK
Birthdate: 1994-02-15
Height 5'11"
Weight 178
Shoots/Catches: Left
Position: Left Wing

http://www.winterhawks.com/roster/show/id/1053

-----------------------------------------

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...b_taylor_made/

Quote:
With the WHL regular season nearing its end later this month and the NHL Entry Draft drawing ever closer, now seems like a good time to take a closer look at a few of the draft-eligible Portland Winterhawks who are on the verge of breaking out. One of my favorites is Taylor Leier, an 18-year-old left winger from Saskatoon who significantly increased the value of his draft stock this past weekend when he scored the game winning and empty net insurance goals in a game against the Tri-City Americans, with whom the Winterhawks are in a heated race for first place in the WHL’s U.S. Division. When he’s not busy improving his draft chances, Taylor is getting ready to play on Canada’s U-18 ball hockey team in the World Championships this June. Which is why now would also be a good time to tune into Taylor’s frequency; because it’s about to get very loud.

Like I said, he’s pretty good with saving the day: Last Friday, Taylor came in and saved the game with the game winning goal three minutes into the third period and sealed the deal with the empty net insurance marker when the Tri-City Americans pulled superstar goalie Ty Rimmer for the extra attacker. The win put the Winterhawks on top of the WHL standings. One of the cool things about the Portland Winterhawks is that when they show the focus, discipline and talent to be top line players, rookies here are rewarded with ice time and accordingly, the chance to be an impact player for the team. Like, ya’ know, in huge playoff-style games against division rivals.
-----------------------------------------

http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...556982&print=1

Quote:
Portland Winterhawks left winger Taylor Leier will likely return to his old form when the 2012-13 WHL season begins in September, terrorizing goaltenders the way he once did in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League.

The former Saskatoon Contact was one of the most feared snipers in the province last year as he finished second in SMAAAHL scoring with 31 goals and 74 points.

But as a rookie with the Winterhawks, Leier was forced to change his stripes to a more defensive role in 2011-12.

Led by veterans Ty Rattie, Sven Bartschi and Brad Ross, no team found the net more often than the Winterhawks did this season.

And, although Leier hasn't forgotten his scoring touch, he's had to adapt.

"In key situations, you always want to stay on the defensive side of the puck," said the Saskatoon native. "Defence leads to offence."

The defending Western Conference champion Winterhawks begin the WHL final tonight in Edmonton against the regular season champion Oil Kings - who've won 23 of their last 24 games dating back to late February.

While it's the high-profile, NHL prospects who tend to get most of the accolades in Portland because of their scoring prowess, Leier's steady play has also been essential to their success.

Building off a regular season that saw him net 13 goals and 37 points - good for 14th in freshman scoring - while suiting up in all 72 games, the 18-year-old has chipped in with five markers so far in the post-season.

But, most importantly, Leier - the Winterhawks' 2009 second-round bantam pick - continued to skate alongside overager Oliver Gabriel and 20-year-old Taylor Peters to form a formidable defensive trio.

"With our team, our top two lines are so talented," said Leier. "My line with Taylor Peters and Oliver Gabriel, I love playing with the two of them.

"They're really responsible in both ends. It's been really good playing with them. You learn a lot (from them)."

Leier has proven to be a quick study. Winterhawks assistant head coach and assistant general manager Travis Green was tasked with helping Leier round out his game when the then-17-year-old attended the team's training camp last summer.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-23-2012 at 11:40 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:32 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I really don't understand this teams fascination with undersized players. We're becoming the sabres/canadiens.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I really don't understand this teams fascination with undersized players. We're becoming the sabres/canadiens.
5'11 / 178 as an 17/18 year old isn't that small, is it?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Schenn10

Quote:
Simmonds, Voracek, jvr, couts, hartnell?

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Nope.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:43 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I dont understand the hate for such small players. We just drafted a big defender right before this. How many huge players do you want on this team?

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 187
And now another big D after.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:09 PM
bp spec

Quote:
5'11 isn't that tall. The weight can be worked on.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
5'11 isn't that tall. The weight can be worked on.
I was under the impression that 6' foot was about the average height in the NHL?

I'll bet if you look at only forwards, the average is pretty close to 5'11.

I know nothing about the player, but it seems absurd to worry about his size. He's heavier than quite a few of the forwards being picked.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
I was under the impression that 6' foot was about the average height in the NHL?

I'll bet if you look at only forwards, the average is pretty close to 5'11.

I know nothing about the player, but it seems absurd to worry about his size. He's heavier than quite a few of the forwards being picked.
Like Laughton, who our scouts would have seen following Suellentrop, they would've see Leier when watching Noebbels - and someone liked what they saw.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
They drafted four skaters that were 6'0" or taller. Only two were under. We're hardly the smurfs.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Nice. This makes me feel better after Pouliot was taken by the Pens.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:47 PM
tenorman85

Love seeing the Flyers take kids from the WHL. I hope he has a great season, except when he plays my Tri-City Americans.

tenorman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:27 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Like Laughton, who our scouts would have seen following Suellentrop, they would've see Leier when watching Noebbels - and someone liked what they saw.
Interesting observation. I know zippo about this kid but the numbers he put up offensively seem pretty decent for a 17 year old that was stuck on the 3rd line.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Interesting observation. I know zippo about this kid but the numbers he put up offensively seem pretty decent for a 17 year old that was stuck on the 3rd line.
His points per game wasn't much lower than Tom Wilson's.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:37 AM
AcrossThePond

One WHL scout has Leier down as having a breakout season next year.

One to watch out for.

AcrossThePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:20 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
That's a bit encouraging. I don't know a lot about how NHL scouts work, but I assume that they don't just sit in the stands and takes down notes, but if they have a player on board already that they're evaluating the progress on they will spend some time fairly close to the team at times, giving them some clearer insight about other aspects than "simply" what's shown on the ice. They'll get some glimpses of the other players on the team then as well of course. Now, Noebels didn't spend all that much time in Portland so maybe we shouldn't overstate how much our scouts saw Leier, but still.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:22 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
His points per game wasn't much lower than Tom Wilson's.
I really wish I had opportunities to watch Wilson this year. It seems like pretty much without fail, every analyst was super excited about him. I wonder what he does that is so great. I'm trying to think of a time that a forward with those kinds of numbers was so highly thought of. Now that he's a cap I hope he becomes more of a Rupp than a Lucic.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I really wish I had opportunities to watch Wilson this year. It seems like pretty much without fail, every analyst was super excited about him. I wonder what he does that is so great. I'm trying to think of a time that a forward with those kinds of numbers was so highly thought of. Now that he's a cap I hope he becomes more of a Rupp than a Lucic.
I was listening to the ISS' head scout on the pipeline show when he was giving a run down on their rankings. He said Wilson is the type of guy you want on your top line to insulate your stars. He said he hated Wilson on his first viewing, but now he loves him. He said he is the type of guy he wants on his team. He does think he can score.To me it sounds like they think he is the type of guy who is tough to play against because of his size and physical play and are hoping his offense catches up to him like Lucic.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossThePond View Post
One WHL scout has Leier down as having a breakout season next year.

One to watch out for.
Pens fan coming in peace. With Reid, Bartschi, Noebels and Ross gone, Leier will almost certainly be in Portland's top 6 this season. He's a decent two-way player right now and he's shown flashes of untapped offensive (at the WHL level). I think he projects to be a decent tweener at the pro level. Definitely a value for a 4th rounder.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote