HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh Interested in Ryan Suter's Rights

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
So... Uhh... Where is the money we'll need the following year to keep Letang?
Do we really have to worry about 2014 now?
If our D-pipeline cannot replace Brooks Orpik at that time, we don't have the pipeline we think we do.

Anyway, I don't believe we are trading for Suter's rights. Not just because McKenzie said Pens brass had told him we weren't, but also because Suter has been adamant that he wants to see what is out there. If he likes the idea of the Pens on July 1st, excellent.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:27 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
Wings fan here and I think this is a great move for Shero. If the rumors of Parise being interested in Pitt are true, why not take a shot. They'll make Suter thing about it hard. And he's more likely to give a discount if he's playing with Parise.

So mad the Preds are in our division cause they could probably never live down trading his rights to us.
Agreed.

I still think he ends up with you guys. He is rumored to want to play in the west, you have a huge need for him with Lidstrom gone and tons of money/cap space to spend on him or even overpay if necessary.

As for the Pens trading Martin for cap room. There were a few reports floating around local media twitters and a national one that a few teams were interested (Didn't mention a specific team). He does have to be traded to clear his cap hit though. He has a NMC and I'm pretty sure because of that he can't be sent down to the minors.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Do we really have to worry about 2014 now?
If our D-pipeline cannot replace Brooks Orpik at that time, we don't have the pipeline we think we do.
I was going to say this also. We don't have to worry it too much.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:51 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

I get the feeling Suter is coming to the burgh. If I'm Shero thats who I'd concentrate the majority of my efforts on. If that fails I'd go for Parise/Gill.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:02 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
That's after they find somebody stupid enough to take Martin that Martin would actually waive his NMC to go to.
He has NMC/Limited NTC.

That means, he CAN'T be sent to the minors, and he can list 8 teams where he doesn't want to go. The same as Orpik has got, or Michalek and he was traded.

And there is interest from other teams in Martin. Believe it or not, Martin is still good D, he just had bad season and doesn't fit to our team.

Quote:
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance
Lots of interest in Paul Martin but not sure the Penguins move him unless they think they can get Ryan Suter.
LOTS OF INTEREST doesn't mean, only a stupid GM would take him... or there's a lot of stupid GMs and you're the only right.. you choose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
As for the Pens trading Martin for cap room. There were a few reports floating around local media twitters and a national one that a few teams were interested (Didn't mention a specific team). He does have to be traded to clear his cap hit though. He has a NMC and I'm pretty sure because of that he can't be sent down to the minors.
Exactly this ! and see above ^^^

Old
06-24-2012, 08:04 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

If Visnovsky bolts to the KHL (thats the rumor going around) then I could see the Islanders being one of the suitors for Martin.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Dupree13

For whatever this is worth, here's a quote from a Rob Rossi article from today:

Quote:
General manager Ray Shero is the former top assistant to his Nashville counterpart, David Poile. They spoke often on the draft floor during the two-day draft, which wrapped Saturday at Consol Energy Center.

The Penguins believe Suter is intent on testing the open market. They also are confident there is no short list of teams for which he is willing to play.

A conditional trade could be worked out this week with Nashville if Poile concludes that Suter will not re-sign with the Predators on or after July 1. The Penguins would move a low-round pick for Suter’s rights, and that pick would become a likely first-rounder if the Penguins are able to reach terms with Suter.
http://triblive.com/mobile/msports/#...believe-market

So if you believe that, Suter is not honed in on Detroit or anywhere, and a rights trade could still happen at some point before July 1.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:13 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
For whatever this is worth, here's a quote from a Rob Rossi article from today:

http://triblive.com/mobile/msports/#...believe-market

So if you believe that, Suter is not honed in on Detroit or anywhere, and a rights trade could still happen at some point before July 1.
Before Shero moved Michalek & Staal I thought Suter would be a lock to go to Detroit. I no longer think thats the case. I'm more than fine with giving up a first rounder to sign Suter. He's exactly the guy that the Pens need and suddenly there is cap space to sign him.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I honestly don't think we'll get both, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

The Pens will send Martin to WBS if they can't trade him so that's not an issue. Sid will take 8.7M again, so that's not an issue either:

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,573,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,726,667

You were saying...
First off you better hope the CBA doesn't bring the HRR% below 55% for the players. (It probably will, but who knows) Secondly, good luck signing any of those guys (Especially Letang) once their ELCs are done.

And finally, you can't send Martin down to WBS because he has a No Movement Clause.

So you were saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
Wings fan here and I think this is a great move for Shero. If the rumors of Parise being interested in Pitt are true, why not take a shot. They'll make Suter thing about it hard. And he's more likely to give a discount if he's playing with Parise.

So mad the Preds are in our division cause they could probably never live down trading his rights to us.
I doubt Poile gives Suter's rights to anybody. He thinks he can still get him back and shipping him somewhere else would most likely kill that chance, so he's gonna need a good deal if he's gonna do it, and nobody is gonna give a good deal for a guy that seems determined to make it to July 1st.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Dupree13

I still would put Detroit as the heavy favorites to sign Suter though. The combination of them really needing him pretty bad, having the money to pay him as much or more than anyone, and them being an attractive destination for him will be tough to overcome.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I honestly don't think we'll get both, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

The Pens will send Martin to WBS if they can't trade him so that's not an issue. Sid will take 8.7M again, so that's not an issue either:

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,573,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,726,667

You were saying...
Suter will be taking more money that that for starters. Parise likely as well. Plus the cap will not be staying at 70 million. No chance.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Robbler

vCash: 50
Pittsburgh's going NYR of '94 on us.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
First off you better hope the CBA doesn't bring the HRR% below 55% for the players. (It probably will, but who knows) Secondly, good luck signing any of those guys (Especially Letang) once their ELCs are done.

And finally, you can't send Martin down to WBS because he has a No Movement Clause.

So you were saying?

I doubt Poile gives Suter's rights to anybody. He thinks he can still get him back and shipping him somewhere else would most likely kill that chance, so he's gonna need a good deal if he's gonna do it, and nobody is gonna give a good deal for a guy that seems determined to make it to July 1st.
The HRR% will be lowering. The cap will likely come in close to what it was last season. When Letang's contract is up he will be looking at a salary of 6-7 million. Also the new CBA will almost certainly put a max limit on contract length.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Flat Stanley

The cap might decrease, but I think the GM's have a general idea on what the Salary Cap is going to be, and my thought is, why would the NHL tell teams to operate under a $70M salary cap if that's not the intended cap or at least close to the intended cap?

The Pens came into the draft with $61.1M committed to 19 players, with $9.2M in cap space. Trading Staal and getting Sutter in return cleared roughly $2M in cap space, Michalek trade cleared another $4M. So that's $15.2M in cap space, Martin might be moved, if it's for no salary in return we have $20.2M in cap space. If we move Kennedy for a pick and move Dupuis down to the 3rd line with Cooke and Sutter and use that money towards a winger for Crosby, that's $22.2M in cap space, only if those moves are made.

EDIT: And with what the Pens did at the draft with the D, drafting 2 in the 1st round, acquiring 1 in the Staal trade and having Morrow, Harrington, and Despres, even though those guys are a couple years away (maybe except for Despres) I don't see why the Pens would try to sign Suter. We don't have any legit forwards that can be Crosby's winger (maybe Bennett), and we traded one of our best players in Jordan Staal. I think the Pens will go after Parise if he's on the free agent market.

Last edited by Flat Stanley: 06-24-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old
06-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2287 View Post
The HRR% will be lowering. The cap will likely come in close to what it was last season. When Letang's contract is up he will be looking at a salary of 6-7 million. Also the new CBA will almost certainly put a max limit on contract length.
I dunno if it'll lower that much (It'd be about 52% to keep the cap what it was last season) but it definitely will go down.

Also, contracts from this summer will almost certainly be grandfathered in, so that wouldn't really affect this.

That said, I still don't see any way it would be possible, even if PITT moves Martin.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
The cap might decrease, but I think the GM's have a general idea on what the Salary Cap is going to be, and my thought is, why would the NHL tell teams to operate under a $70M salary cap if that's not the intended cap or at least close to the intended cap?

The Pens came into the draft with $61.1M committed to 19 players, with $9.2M in cap space. Trading Staal and getting Sutter in return cleared roughly $2M in cap space, Michalek trade cleared another $4M. So that's $15.2M in cap space, Martin might be moved, if it's for no salary in return we have $20.2M in cap space. If we move Kennedy for a pick and move Dupuis down to the 3rd line with Cooke and Sutter and use that money towards a winger for Crosby, that's $22.2M in cap space, only if those moves are made.
Because they are still operating under the old CBA. What else could they say. The NBA's new CBA kept the salary cap at the previous level of 58 million. The NHL having a salary cap 12 million more than the NBA's is not a realistic option. Using the 70 million number the NHL salary cap is up 80% since the lockout. That is do for a correction, especially considering how many teams are sell in trouble.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I dunno if it'll lower that much (It'd be about 52% to keep the cap what it was last season) but it definitely will go down.

Also, contracts from this summer will almost certainly be grandfathered in, so that wouldn't really affect this.

That said, I still don't see any way it would be possible, even if PITT moves Martin.
If you look at what usually happens coming out of a new CBA salary caps almost always end up lower. The NBA cap stayed the same, the NFL cap dropped by 3 million,

Old
06-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Because they are still operating under the old CBA. What else could they say. The NBA's new CBA kept the salary cap at the previous level of 58 million. The NHL having a salary cap 12 million more than the NBA's is not a realistic option. Using the 70 million number the NHL salary cap is up 80% since the lockout. That is do for a correction, especially considering how many teams are sell in trouble.
I agree, I think it could decrease, but my point is, I don't think Shero will screw up the team financially, I think him and most other NHL GM's might expect the Cap to drop and might not spend to the $70M cap. They also might have an idea on what the cap could be so teams might operate under their own salary cap, under $70M. And if the cap drops, I don't think it will be a huge drop off.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I agree, I think it could decrease, but my point is, I don't think Shero will screw up the team financially, I think him and most other NHL GM's might expect the Cap to drop and might not spend to the $70M cap. They also might have an idea on what the cap could be so teams might operate under their own salary cap, under $70M. And if the cap drops, I don't think it will be a huge drop off.
I'm sure your right and Shero and other GM's have a pretty good idea what the cap will be. I think the cap number will be around where it was last year, basically the 6 million increase in the cap won't occur.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Human
cynic

there's no way in hell Shero manages to sign both Parise and Suter. that is ridiculous thinking.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
there's no way in hell Shero manages to sign both Parise and Suter. that is ridiculous thinking.
I agree, but I think they could sign one of them and with our D depth, and no elite winger for Sid. I think Parise would be the right choice, if he makes it to free agency. I'm not counting out him re-signing with the Devils.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
I think the HRR% will take the cap ceiling down and the cap floor will end up being a percentage of the midpoint rather than an $8M decrease from it every year.

That way when the revenue shoots up every year teams only have to make a percentage of the midpoint rather than $8M from the midpoint.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I like how Wings fans are offended by the idea that Suter would sign else where. "No they can't do that. The caps going down!! Down I say!!"

Old
06-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I like how Wings fans are offended by the idea that Suter would sign else where. "No they can't do that. The caps going down!! Down I say!!"
It is more the fact the cap number when the CBA is completed will probably not be close to what it was last year instead of increasing by 6 million. And I am not a Wings fan.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Oh no, he could certainly go to Pittsburgh.

Just not if they want Parise...

Closed Thread