HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft - Rounds 2-7 - 10am EST (NHL Network) - Part 5

Old
06-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Okay, I just checked and saw that Matej Machovsky wasn't drafted. Wow. Officially one of the best, and most under-rated, goalies available this year, imo. I mean, he got an amateur try-out with the Sens last year, and put together a pretty damn good season this year, so... kinda scratching my head on that one. He must be thinking about heading home depending on how the rest of junior goes, or something.

Ullmark and Whitney are going to turn out to be steals as far as other goalies are concerned. I also think Dansk could turn out to be the best goalie of the draft, despite being the 3rd one picked.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
By the sound of Brady Vail's most recent tweet, sounds like the Habs had a nice dinner with all drafted prospects & administration/scouting staff. Loving this new management so far
I'm just glad we have a GM who calls prospects by their first names, not just "Mr. Galchenyuk" and "Mr. Thrower", etc.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Im pretty sure it was TT if they wanted to trade up in the top part of the draft. If it was in the later stages, it probably was for Matteau
I was hoping for Matteau instead of Frk in our Mock, and missed him by like 4 picks. Should have a really good career, but not sure if I'd necessarily pick him over of Collberg, so I certainly wouldn't have made the move up to grab him.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:38 PM
ChoseLa

`:É

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I was hoping for Matteau instead of Frk in our Mock, and missed him by like 4 picks. Should have a really good career, but not sure if I'd necessarily pick him over of Collberg, so I certainly wouldn't have made the move up to grab him.
We don't know how they developpe but to me Collberg + Thrower is better than having Matteau alone, our Prospect pool was so thin that we had to go with volume and nothing proves that Matteau will be better than any of those two.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:09 PM
znk

Quote:
Im pretty sure it was TT if they wanted to trade up in the top part of the draft. If it was in the later stages, it probably was for Matteau
I'm not sure they had Matteau ahead of Colberg. From what I recall Timmins said they tried to move especially late in the first. My hunch is that it was for Colberg as they were surprised and relieved that he was still available when they picked him.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:06 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Okay, I just checked and saw that Matej Machovsky wasn't drafted. Wow. Officially one of the best, and most under-rated, goalies available this year, imo. I mean, he got an amateur try-out with the Sens last year, and put together a pretty damn good season this year, so... kinda scratching my head on that one. He must be thinking about heading home depending on how the rest of junior goes, or something.

Ullmark and Whitney are going to turn out to be steals as far as other goalies are concerned. I also think Dansk could turn out to be the best goalie of the draft, despite being the 3rd one picked.
Goaltenders are so difficult to project, I'd say I'm not surprised that Machovsky wasn't drafted, and would even go so far as to say I'm mildly surprised that Ullmark and Whitney were drafted. Boldly predicting them to be steals is far-fetched. Personally I doubt we end up seeing much of either, even at the AHL level let alone the NHL.

You could be right about Dansk, but who knows...

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Habitants

GREAT draft by TT love these picks! looking forward to see them in camp next week and in the fall!!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Habsfan18

Well Leafs fans surely changed their minds pretty quick.

Last night many of them were furious when the pick was announced, but now they're talking like they've just drafted the next Brian Leetch.

To be fair though, Rielly will be a damn good defenseman imo, but sometimes an initial reaction by a fan base can be pretty comical years down the road - go back and read the 2005 draft thread when we picked Price..

But seriously, it always is funny when you compare some initial reactions to only 24 hours later. "WHAT????? YOU STUPID IDIOT! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING..?? 24 hours later.... "Absolutely LOVE the selection!"

06-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well Leafs fans surely changed their minds pretty quick.

Last night many of them were furious when the pick was announced, but now they're talking like they've just drafted the next Brian Leetch.

To be fair though, Rielly will be a damn good defenseman imo, but sometimes an initial reaction by a fan base can be pretty comical years down the road - go back and read the 2005 draft thread when we picked Price..

But seriously, it always is funny when you compare some initial reactions to only 24 hours later. "WHAT????? YOU STUPID IDIOT! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING..?? 24 hours later.... "Absolutely LOVE the selection!"

Gotta drink that Kool-Aid.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Goaltenders are so difficult to project, I'd say I'm not surprised that Machovsky wasn't drafted, and would even go so far as to say I'm mildly surprised that Ullmark and Whitney were drafted. Boldly predicting them to be steals is far-fetched. Personally I doubt we end up seeing much of either, even at the AHL level let alone the NHL.

You could be right about Dansk, but who knows...
Why? Do you know how rare it is for 18 year old goalies to get any playing time in the Eliteserien, and do you know what percentage of those players go on to be drafted, or at least very good players in a European league? It's pretty high. And having Google translated a bunch of pages from Swedish sites, it seems as though there's a bit of buzz around Ullmark. I wasn't able to catch any of his games at the Eliteserien level, but he's not exactly a secret at this point.

As for Whitney, if you're that surprised, why didn't say something back when Central Scouting posted its list showing that Whitney had actually risen from 3rd among N.A. goalies at midterm to 2nd? I mean, obvious issues aside, if anyone was going draft him at all, I'm quite surprised he lasted as long as he did. He must have interviewed very poorly, or something, because Team Canada goalies rarely go undrafted, so the 7th round is typically a "steal" if you get one.

Getting back to Machovsky though... followed up his lowest rookie GAA award with a pretty damn good sophmore season - ranking 7th in games played, top 3 in GAA, and maintaining a .900+ SV%. He has size, he moves well enough, reads the play decently... I think he's just a bit of a late bloomer or getting used to his size a bit. He has definitely gotten a lot of games and development in at a young age (played a LOT as an under-ager in Czech leagues, prompting him to attempt the jump over here - where he has played lots, and still isn't 19 yet), so we'll see how far he gets. I would have picked him over at least a handful of the guys who actually got drafted.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:37 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
Huge thanks.

I thought this was the Craig Button ranking, but I guess it's the McKenzie final ranking. Thanks again.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:44 AM
HomaridII

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=nhl-rxl-twt

Very cool article, some nice information there like the fact that when Collberg was called up to the senior team in SEL it was Timmins who drove him to his first game with the senior team. No wonder he was so happy to get him

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Bulis hit

Our top 2 prospects in draft combine for 0 points in reg. season

I'm really happy about the selections.

Just thought it sounded funny though, to draft, with the 3rd and 33rd pick, two players who scored 0 points in the regular season this season.

Sure, it's understandable when you see both players' situation, but it's funny nonetheless.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:43 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
That must be a first. This is where you have to trust your scouting staff. The biggest risk is Galchenyuk considering he barely played at all and was 3rd overall. At least with Collberg the team could watch him play and see him dominate against his peers.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:48 AM
HomaridII

Another article praising the Habs;

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...n=jessespector

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Our top 2 prospects in draft combine for no medals in the Olympic high jump and both prospects cant seem to win a spot on their respective synchronised swimming team.

What kind of a draft is that!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:11 AM
eddy

Never been more excited with the players selected following draft weekend. Obviously it will take time to see how these guys actually pan out but at the moment couldn't be happier.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
How did Dane Fox and Alex Gudbranson go undrafted? And even Slepyshev even if you think that the guy won't be here for the next 3 years.....Makes no sense to me. Pick him in the 7th round....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How did Dane Fox and Alex Gudbranson go undrafted?
I don't know, really. Gudbranson's birthday is close to the cut-off and stuff, but he's eligible, big, and promising. Can't believe every team decided to wait until next year to take another look at him.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:07 AM
1UP

Quote:

Overall, a bad, BAD year to be a goalie.

It seems no one wanted to draft one. Cept Columbus.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:40 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulis hit View Post
I'm really happy about the selections.

Just thought it sounded funny though, to draft, with the 3rd and 33rd pick, two players who scored 0 points in the regular season this season.

Sure, it's understandable when you see both players' situation, but it's funny nonetheless.
It is pretty hilarious. This must be a first. I mean top 2 picks of a team in the draft totalling 0 points in the regular season of their draft year. That has to be a record of sorts. Has it ever happened before I wonder? Somehow, I doubt it.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I'm not sure they had Matteau ahead of Colberg. From what I recall Timmins said they tried to move especially late in the first. My hunch is that it was for Colberg as they were surprised and relieved that he was still available when they picked him.

No way they had Matteau ahead of Collberg, but they tried moving up when TT dropped, and didn't have the ammunition.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
How did Dane Fox and Alex Gudbranson go undrafted? And even Slepyshev even if you think that the guy won't be here for the next 3 years.....Makes no sense to me. Pick him in the 7th round....
Alex is crap.. Dane Fox is interesting. Yea 6th or 7th would make sense. He's a long shot for sure.

Slepyshev is a weird story. He didn't attend the combine (for Russian school exams). Prokhorkin (Russian-based too) was drafted late and he attended the combine.

That must've factored as they didn't get to see what kind of player he is. Interviews are huge for judging Euros in general.

Still pissed Pitts drafted Zlobin.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Et le But

Call me a major homer but in such a defense friendly draft - are guys like Pouliot and Lindholm really better prospects than Beaulieu? It just amazes me that Pouliot would be picked ahead of Forsberg, Teravainen and Grigorenko some of the few guys with first line winger potential in Collberg and Aberg would drop to the second round.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Makes lots of sense actually. If you knew what the scouts knew about Fox you wouldn't have picked him either..and last time i checked Slepyshev was a Russian that plays in Russia He doesn't come across as the type of guy that's going to commit to playing in NA..so why waste a draft pick? Gudbranson.....don't know of a single scout who wanted to draft him.That's why these guys are paid the big bucks...they have info you don't have, or see things that you missed.

There are tangible reasons why several kids who were hyped on here all year weren't picked..guys like those just mentioned, the highly overrated Emil Lundberg (some thought he was a third round pick), Nathan Walker, and so on. This process is supposed to humble the backseat scout a bit..unfortunately what often happens is that the backseat scout takes the opposite approach, and starts proclaiming that the NHL scouts screwed up. I think you'll find that five years from now guys you liked who weren't drafted are nowhere near the NHL, with the very odd exception.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote