HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So now that we have JVR......

Old
06-24-2012, 08:49 AM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Need a #1 center, Bozak is fine on the 3rd line center spot. Get that #1 center and we're a solid playoff team... then you build on that by acquiring those solid role players, maybe a goalie of Reimer/Scrivens arent' getting it done.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
I don't understand the logic here. Why would Schultz want to come to Toronto and not Edmonton where he can have more of an impact behind all those talented young forwards? What is Toronto's supposed attractions? An overabundance of young D-men already? No NHL caliber goalie? Why come to Toronto at all?
The same reason why Owuya, Rynnas and Scrivens chose us when we all ready decent depth filled up. They had offers from other teams on the table. Rynnas had to chose between Edmonton and Toronto if I remember correctly.

Sometimes a team has a coach and/or a management team that you like. A city that you like and a team that you think is more suited to your needs.

Edmonton doesn't even have a coach yet. Hard to go to a team that you are not sure how they are going to be coached and their philosophy.

As a fan, this may seem like second fiddle stuff but to a player it's pretty important I'd say.

Perhaps Schultz hates Edmonton? He wouldn't be the first player to diss Edmonton as a city you'd want to spend your life in, especially when you have the choice to play in the city you'd prefer for the next couple years, if not more.

Many factors other than playing time are in play.

For the record; I don't think Toronto will be his choice. But considering the reports, we are a favorite so there must be something about Toronto that is pretty appealing to him.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:52 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexanderthe89 View Post
Bozak >>>>>>> Connolly

Every time I start to get excited about the new season I remember that we still have Connolly and it kills the enthusiasm pretty severely.
Not really... Bozak has a more well rounded game.... Connolly has more offensive upside. With the JvR addition, you've now got a winger who would theoretically allow Connolly & Kessel to play together.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:52 AM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I don't understand the logic here. Why would Schultz want to come to Toronto and not Edmonton where he can have more of an impact behind all those talented young forwards? What is Toronto's supposed attractions? An overabundance of young D-men already? No NHL caliber goalie? Why come to Toronto at all?

He gets to play with one of his best friends in Gardiner. He gets to play for Toronto, the hockey capital with the most media coverage. He comes to a world class city. A lot of players don't want to go to Edmonton because of that alone. Not saying we are his first choice, but it is blatantly obvious that there are pros to coming here as well. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to say to you.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - _Schultz_
Liles - Holzer
_________

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slozo View Post
I think the deal is a good one for the Leafs, but I do have concerns about JVR being another Ponikarvsky . . . a big guy who is soft-ish in front of the net and in the corners. That being said, he looks like he has way more skill. In the end, I think JVR probably ends up on that second line if he finds chemistry with Grabovski (who doesn't play well with Grabovski, hmm?) and Kulemin slides into his much better suited role on the third line.

And, we have the option to move JVR up or down, based on how he plays and who he plays well with. And finally a winger with some size!
He isnt soft....but dont expect him to be banging and running people over. He has learned how to use his body along the boards and the front of the net to his advantage and when healthy wont get pushed around, but he isnt a consistently agressive hitter or anything like that. I think that is one of the issues he had in Philly, they expect everyone 6-2 and up to play like Lindros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
He gets to play with one of his best friends in Gardiner. He gets to play for Toronto, the hockey capital with the most media coverage. He comes to a world class city. A lot of players don't want to go to Edmonton because of that alone. Not saying we are his first choice, but it is blatantly obvious that there are pros to coming here as well. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to say to you.
Does anyone know anything about Schultz's personality?? Some guys might not want all that media coverage.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:23 AM
The Saurus

I think Leo Komarov is going to have a spot on the fourth line. He's exactly the type of player we need.

I could see the likes of Jerry D'Amigo, Leo Komarov, Nazem Kadri, and Matt Frattin all making the roster out of training camp.

Our bottom six could look like this:

Jerry D'Amigo - Tim Connolly - Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov - David Steckel - Mike Brown

There really isn't a place for Colby Armstrong, IMO.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:24 AM
e84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Because it's Toronto.

e84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:39 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by poon View Post
Because it's Toronto.

Yes I'm surprised Staal didn't demand what to be traded here also

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:44 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
People will really enjoy reading this now...

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2012/0...tom-six-model/
Wow, great article!

So with the addition of JvR, we now have a power-forward to be that "scoring-line" or "top-line" LW.

That would make the lines look something like this:

First-Line:
JvR/Lupul - Bozak/Kadri/Colborne/#1C - Kessel
Shut-down line:
Kulemin - Grabovski - ???? (Moen?/Komarov?/Crabb?/MacArthur?)
Scoring line:
Lupul/JvR - Bozak/Colborne/Connolly/Kadri - Frattin/Armstrong/MacArthur
Checking Line:
Komarov/Rosehill/Orr?/#4LW - Steckle - Brown

We definitely have a few extra forwards.

Could there be a plan to unload some guys in a trade? Is Luongo or Nash a possibility?

Could JvR or Lupul be a player in the Nash/Luongo deal?

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:45 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

JVR-Connolly-Lombardi could be the eggshell line. With Liles and one more they could form a concussed 5 man unit.

They traded a healthy skull for a soft one, so to me the Flyers won the deal handily.
Now that's out of the way, it isn't impossible that he won't have a future full of more concussions. I think it was from an elbow which in my non expert opinion is better than sustaining one from a body check, because a player will get a lot more checks than elbows to the head.

He came back from the concussion and his hits were reduced. He used to hit as often as Bozak, and now he hits as often as Lombardi. Using hits and his 1 fight as a pro, I would say he was less of a power forward than Lupul before his injury, and now is more of just a "tall guy" who can play a bit. Will see if he tries to be more physical next year with the whole summer to finish his recovery. He has taken 5 faceoffs since turning pro so I am guessing he does not have a future as a center.

Most interesting stat is his giveaway to takeaway numbers which are excellent every year. Not really high because I don't think he has spent much time on a checking line but that could be his fallback if the offense doesn't take another step. 9% scorer and only managed just more than 15 TOI for the first time this year so the stats we see aren't from a lot of icetime.

It will be interesting to see if the change of scenery adds to or subtracts from his game. I am not sure he has much more offense than MacArthur though.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote