HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round IV, Pick #119: Calle Andersson

Old
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Round IV, Pick #119: Calle Andersson

POSITION: Defense
SHOOTS: Right
HEIGHT: 6'2
WEIGHT: 212
BORN: 5/16/94
BORN IN: Sweden

Stats:

Comparable:

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard

Last edited by JeffMangum: 06-23-2012 at 10:34 AM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Another Calle!

Hopefully he turns out to be just as good as the other Calle on the team.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:31 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Fitting username ha ha

Not sure, would have liked to see another forward here but I trust Gordie.

Perhaps they're thinking of swapping a 2013 late round pick for a 2012 late rounder here...not sure if they're going to be satisfied with just 3 picks...

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:32 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Very good pick.

Two way defender, good puck control, sees the ice well. ISS had him ranked 47.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
6'2, 208lbs.

Defenseman
15th Ranked European (I think)

2009-2010 FARJESTAD U18 SWEDEN-JR. U18 29 1 2 3 43
2010-2011 FARJESTAD U18 SWEDEN-JR. U18 21 2 5 7 38
2010-2011 MALMO JR. SWE-JR. 25 2 4 6 24
2011-2012 FARJESTAD JR. SWE-JR. 49 12 24 36 56
2011-2012 FARJESTAD U18 SWEDEN-JR. U18 10 3 6 9 0

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MorrisWanchuk

Son of former Ranger & Ranger Draft Pick Peter Andersson.

Could have two Swedes being the kids of former Rangers on our blueline.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

His dad was former one-time Black Ace Peter Anderson.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:33 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He's a very fast skater, and he's a good creator. Biggest issue with him is he doesn't play very good defense.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Why was this thread randomly locked . Well, I like our draft this year.

06-23-2012, 11:12 AM
KRM

Solid pick, I like Andersson.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Jacques Strap

Corey Pronman on Calle Andersson

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1319

35. Calle Andersson , Defense, Farjestad- J20 SuperElit

Andersson has been impressive this year, as a player with pro-average size and good puck-moving skills will always turn heads. Andersson is the kind of player who just looks comfortable with the puck and being the starting point of offense for his team. He has good puck skills to combine with a nice calmness and fluidity when he's holding it along the offensive blue line or bringing it up the ice. Calle is an impressive passer, as the puck comes off his stick crisply when he's moving it, in the mold of an offensive puck possession defender. While his assets are his puck-moving skills, he also has some aggressiveness to his game as he will join the rush and activate from the blue line. Andersson has solid size, with a good muscle mass for his age, but while he does engage, I wouldn't say he's overly physical. He's about average in his own end which still gives him notable value considering his talent level and I'm not leaning in any particular direction on his d-zone work. The only real area of concern I have for Andersson is his skating, which is below average. He doesn't labor through his motions, but just doesn't stand out in any particular aspect. Overall, he's a pretty well-rounded player and could be a real find.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
6'2, 208lbs.

Defenseman
15th Ranked European (I think)

2009-2010 FARJESTAD U18 SWEDEN-JR. U18 29 1 2 3 43
2010-2011 FARJESTAD U18 SWEDEN-JR. U18 21 2 5 7 38
2010-2011 MALMO JR. SWE-JR. 25 2 4 6 24
2011-2012 FARJESTAD JR. SWE-JR. 49 12 24 36 56
2011-2012 FARJESTAD U18 SWEDEN-JR. U18 10 3 6 9 0
Interesting that we got a kid from Färjestad.

In Sweden where we have a shortage of "natrual talents", its not stretch that developing hockey players is about "know-how". Everyone work really hard to develop training and new approches, and hence its very common that many of our best kids for long periods come from the same places. MoDo and Örnsköldsvik (Forsberg, Näslund, Sundström, Sedins and so forth) were a head of the rest for a while, Skellefteå has now for a couple of years done really well (Adam Larson, David Rundblad, Tim Erixon). Brynäs too (Marklund, Järnkrok and Silverberg).

Färjestad is traditionally a very good hockey market and team, that always has a great atmosphere in their lockerroom and a winning tradition on the ice. A no-nonsense team. But for a long time they've really struggled to develop NHLers. Håkan Loob came from Färjestad, but besides him remarkably few of the Swedish NHLers come from Färjestad (I can think of Jonas Höglund and Kristian Huselius as the only mainstays the last 20 years).

But lately they have started to develop some really interesting players. Daniel Brodin isn't that known yet, but he is really really good looking and Minny definitely got a steal in him and I will have almost the same impact in the NHL as Erik Karlsson have had (he isn't quite as awsome on the PP, but just as poised with the puck coming out of his own end and better defensively). Markus Johansson in Washington is another kid from Färjestad in the NHL who made it recently.

Hopefully Calle Johansson can follow in these guys fotsteps and have a impact.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Interesting that we got a kid from Färjestad.

In Sweden where we have a shortage of "natrual talents", its not stretch that developing hockey players is about "know-how". Everyone work really hard to develop training and new approches, and hence its very common that many of our best kids for long periods come from the same places. MoDo and Örnsköldsvik (Forsberg, Näslund, Sundström, Sedins and so forth) were a head of the rest for a while, Skellefteå has now for a couple of years done really well (Adam Larson, David Rundblad, Tim Erixon). Brynäs too (Marklund, Järnkrok and Silverberg).

Färjestad is traditionally a very good hockey market and team, that always has a great atmosphere in their lockerroom and a winning tradition on the ice. A no-nonsense team. But for a long time they've really struggled to develop NHLers. Håkan Loob came from Färjestad, but besides him remarkably few of the Swedish NHLers come from Färjestad (I can think of Jonas Höglund and Kristian Huselius as the only mainstays the last 20 years).

But lately they have started to develop some really interesting players. Daniel Brodin isn't that known yet, but he is really really good looking and Minny definitely got a steal in him and I will have almost the same impact in the NHL as Erik Karlsson have had (he isn't quite as awsome on the PP, but just as poised with the puck coming out of his own end and better defensively). Markus Johansson in Washington is another kid from Färjestad in the NHL who made it recently.

Hopefully Calle Johansson can follow in these guys fotsteps and have a impact.
I think you mean Jonas Brodin and Calle Andersson, Ola. Hopefully he follows IN Calle Johansson's footsteps and carves out a lengthy NHL career.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
Corey Pronman on Calle Andersson

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1319

35. Calle Andersson , Defense, Farjestad- J20 SuperElit

Andersson has been impressive this year, as a player with pro-average size and good puck-moving skills will always turn heads. Andersson is the kind of player who just looks comfortable with the puck and being the starting point of offense for his team. He has good puck skills to combine with a nice calmness and fluidity when he's holding it along the offensive blue line or bringing it up the ice. Calle is an impressive passer, as the puck comes off his stick crisply when he's moving it, in the mold of an offensive puck possession defender. While his assets are his puck-moving skills, he also has some aggressiveness to his game as he will join the rush and activate from the blue line. Andersson has solid size, with a good muscle mass for his age, but while he does engage, I wouldn't say he's overly physical. He's about average in his own end which still gives him notable value considering his talent level and I'm not leaning in any particular direction on his d-zone work. The only real area of concern I have for Andersson is his skating, which is below average. He doesn't labor through his motions, but just doesn't stand out in any particular aspect. Overall, he's a pretty well-rounded player and could be a real find.
Sounds like his dad.

He never hit it of in the NHL, but much fewer Swedes did back then. He did score 0.5 PPG's in the NHL in his rookie season. Which was good in the NHL even back then.

But for Sweden he was a really solid top 4 D for a long time. He won two WCH's and played in 3 Canada Cups. Strong. Solid defensively and functional on the PP. The super-reliable type.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Grant Sonier had a list of the top 10 players left after day 1 of the draft

Andersson was #9

Quote:
There was some buzz about Andersson after Round 1 concluded, so I don't think it will be too long until we hear his name called. His feet have to improve, but the rest of the game -- size, hockey sense -- is all there. He had a really good U-18 tournament.
Central Scouting Ranking: 15 (European)
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...rospects-day-2

Sonier had Andersson #36 in his top 50

Quote:
Andersson is a smart, big D-man with good puck skills and decision-making. His skating needs to improve, as he has heavy feet. Mechanically his stride is fine, though, so it is a matter of time and strength. In the years ahead he could surpass many who will be selected before him as his game with the puck is very good, led by strong overall hockey sense.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...pects-rankings

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:28 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I think he's a better skater than a lot of these guys are giving him credit for.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
ecemleafs

for his age he's pretty heavy at 212 pounds so u'd imagine that he'd get quicker as body matures and he works on his speed, which he should be able to do if hes got good technique in his stride.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:50 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I think he's a better skater than a lot of these guys are giving him credit for.
A lot of scouting agencies are knocking his skating. That's why I thought it was interesting when you said skating is one of his strengths because everyone said he's strong everywhere else - just not skating. If his skating actually is that good, we could have a very good value pick on our hands.

Quote:
This is a kid who can go a long way to improve his chances of playing in the NHL if he can improve his skating. He is a well round player who plays smarter than some of his more highly touted countrymen. Calle makes quick smart plays from his own zone, he reads his outlet pass options and makes good passes in quick order. The problems is he very sluggish skating. It’s a shame really because he is in proper position so often but gets beat to spots because of his weak first few steps. We like a lot about his game but the skating was weak enough that we dropped him out of the top 60.
Quotable: "I really liked this kid in the U18. I thought he did many things much better than his more highly rated teammates. I could not get past some of his skating issues."

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

calle to calle...and it's a goal..

I can see it now....

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Wow. He fell this far? Unbelievable. His only real knock is he skates like a bull in a China shop. Just real sloppy. Send him to Ms. Underhill.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:10 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Andersson is another great selection by the Rangers. His scouting report reminds me a lot of what was said about Streit when the Habs brought him over. Struggles on D, but can QB the PP, great vision and shot. Streit ended up being smart enough positionally to be a great D, Andersson has more time to develop than Streit did when we drafted him at 27 years old.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Grant Sonier had a list of the top 10 players left after day 1 of the draft

Andersson was #9

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...rospects-day-2

Sonier had Andersson #36 in his top 50

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...pects-rankings
Cool...so that is what Grant Sonier is doing these days . I was curious as to what he was at since he used to coach a Tier 2 Junior team here at one time . He is still chasing the hockey dream after so many years of being close . Thanks for throwing his name out there RB . I think Sonier once coached Darren Langdon .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I now really wish we got a 7th round pick in that deal with Nashville to grab Ebert. Just cannot believe he fell that far.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Is his name officially Calle or Carl?

06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Is his name officially Calle or Carl?
Probably Calle. Notre Dame had a scandinavian player named Calle Ridderwall the past few years, so it's not an off the wall name for someone from his region.

Pronounced Cal-ee. Exact pronunciation as Captain Cally.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote