HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Semin - Plan B

Old
06-24-2012, 10:54 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

vCash: 500
Perhaps the short term contracts hurt more than they help. Why should Semin 100% "buy in" when he's only signing for 1 year or maybe 2?

I think the pitch from Sather should be a longer deal around 5 years. I don't know the exact rules as far as structuring bonuses & it could all change with new CBA. I think a contract needs to have incentives & a lower base.

No NMC or NTC.

Protect your interests but you have to be willing to invest in him if you want him to invest in us, IMO.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:59 AM
GamerZX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Perhaps the short term contracts hurt more than they help. Why should Semin 100% "buy in" when he's only signing for 1 year or maybe 2?

I think the pitch from Sather should be a longer deal around 5 years. I don't know the exact rules as far as structuring bonuses & it could all change with new CBA. I think a contract needs to have incentives & a lower base.

No NMC or NTC.

Protect your interests but you have to be willing to invest in him if you want him to invest in us, IMO.

Because he needs to keep producing to get another contract from us or someone else.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerZX101 View Post
Because he needs to keep producing to get another contract from us or someone else.
A-obviously that's worked so far

B-how often has this really ever worked? So he tries hard & then what? He can now throw a wrench in your budget & you STILL will have concerns that he only did it for the big payday. Or, you're back to where you started.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:36 AM
CM PUNK

[QUOTE=NYGBleedBlueNYR;51444693Why should Semin 100% "buy in" when he's only signing for 1 year or maybe 2?[/QUOTE]

well for starters if he buys into the team concept and has a really good year to prove that some of the negative reputation wasn't warranted, there would be a good chance that the rangers would then resign him to a longer deal because he would have earned that trust

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:59 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I've got no interest in dropping a chemistry experiment into the middle of this team.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:11 PM
LordsCup*

Why would he a sign a one year deal? Move on from him.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:23 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
well for starters if he buys into the team concept and has a really good year to prove that some of the negative reputation wasn't warranted, there would be a good chance that the rangers would then resign him to a longer deal because he would have earned that trust
And if he gets injured? Or if BR & Steps get injured & he busts his ass for 20-25g?

Everyone expects Semin to take all of the risks.

IMO, if Semin was willing to sign a longer deal here he's obviously understanding most of what's going to be expected from him effort wise & willing to adjust towards our style.

If he's signing short term it's more likely he's worrying about stats & ice time & his next deal.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:28 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

If you took Semin's game tapes from last year, convinced everyone he was Johnny Flipdik from long island, NY he'd be COVETED IMO.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:32 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

I say bring him in, it can't hurt. Gotta take a gamble and it costs us nothing but money.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:43 PM
EJS280

There's a lot of IF's about signing him (if he wants to play here, if he signs a good contract, if we even want him), but in a perfect world I would be happy with signing him on a good contract preferably short term.

He definitely seems to have grown up a bit in the last year - he did his first English interview last season after being in the league how long? And he received praises from much of the NBC crew (yes a Russian not getting **** on by Milbury) during the playoffs last year for his effort.

He will have Zherdev moments of turning the puck over at the blue line, but thats who he is and you have to take the good with the bad. Feed him the puck in that Stamkos spot on the left side on the PP and let him rip. Guy has an unbelievable shot.

EJS280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

This guy can really shoot the puck, no question about that. Free agency route is always a good avenue if not overpayment. Not the worst idea, but I would much rather see them swing a deal for Ryan

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
The Seminator!
If he scores a lot of goals we can call him the Inseminator.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Crease

These quotes from Tortarella on break-up day might suggest he's open to the idea:

Quote:
Yeah, you’re always thinking about that, but you have to be really careful about ruling people out, too. Sometimes, when you think it’s a really good piece, and he may not exactly fit in all the little things you do, you can teach him those things along the way if he really brings you something else. You don’t want to box yourself in here.”
Quote:
“Listen. We have to work extremely hard to score goals. Along the way, if there’s something that can help there, you find a way to teach your concept, but allow to bring some talent in to allow that to work for you. You can’t get stubborn here, either. We’re not going to lose our identity. I think there’s enough inner-pressure in our room.”

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:35 PM
NikC

you have to be open to the idea. you need different dynamics in your offensive arsenal. We don't need Semin to play defense. He's already started to acclimate to a nearly identical system under Hunter.

Nash too much? Parise won't sign? Ryan too much?

FA stinks. Get Semin.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Lundsanity30

Anyone know what he is rumored to b looking for?

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
you have to be open to the idea. you need different dynamics in your offensive arsenal. We don't need Semin to play defense. He's already started to acclimate to a nearly identical system under Hunter.

Nash too much? Parise won't sign? Ryan too much?

FA stinks. Get Semin.
We need every guy to play the same game. We're not going to tell one guy he doesn't have to backcheck on every shift, or cover for a D who pinched. That's just simply not an option. Now, on the other hand we don't need him to be a defensive stalwart. But he's got to buy in or he's not playing on this team.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:07 PM
alves

Ask Hank whose shot he's most afraid of, he probably mentions Semin. Dude has a potent wrist shot. That's something we've been missing for a while, a guy who can roof it from anywhere and surprise you.

alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvesNYR View Post
Ask Hank whose shot he's most afraid of, he probably mentions Semin. Dude has a potent wrist shot. That's something we've been missing for a while, a guy who can roof it from anywhere and surprise you.
Gaborik used to do this with his sick wrister, before he started having all the shoulder troubles. I miss those shots.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:26 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
We need every guy to play the same game. We're not going to tell one guy he doesn't have to backcheck on every shift, or cover for a D who pinched. That's just simply not an option. Now, on the other hand we don't need him to be a defensive stalwart. But he's got to buy in or he's not playing on this team.
of course. Tortorella stated clearly that he is open to bring in players
that offer more of what they lack at the expense of maybe not having
a complete or more well rounded game.

Semin is the most offensively potent weapon available in free agency, regardless
of how weak the market is. the guy is as pure a sniper as you will ever get.

That to me speaks to a player exactly like Semin. He would have to understand that if he signed with us that we would need to approach the game differently. you have to think that with most of last season under hunter into the post season, we has started to embrace that concept. Hunter imo might have been a little extreme with it also.
He severely limited AO's playing time.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:33 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
31 goals and 71 points per year from Semin and that's WITH last season's goal totals being his lowest ever.

He's not a declining player. Just turning 28 in March, he is in the prime of his career.

If we want to add a goal scoring winger and NOT give up roster players at the same time, Semin is going to be that guy.

Parise is not signing in NY. I'm not basing that on what he said, I just think he has more respect for the Devils than to jump ship to us.

The money he iwll be offered will be the same in Det/Minn than he would get here.

I believe we need another gaborik like scorer and Semin fits that description.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

We already have that, we need someone who can add a different dynamic. This team is way to predictable on offense, and at this level of play, is very easy for a team to defend.

A player like Semin can help give us that dynamic, and have teams guessing a little more as to what we are going to do when we have the puck and are breaking in.

This whole he is not a "tort's type player" thing is getting way over blown. Yes Zherdev, did not work but Gaborik is not exactly a Tort's type player and he gets a lot of playing time and has put up a ton of points.

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:38 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I'd even go three years, sometimes u have to have balls and take risks
I agree it might make some sense to go a little bit out on a limb, but not 3 years far out.

Offer him a bit too much $$$ for 1 year, if possible with whatever safeguards can be used for performance, etc.

His incentive is then:

1. it's only 1 yr, but it's closer to top dollar, which means after next year I can really look for even bigger payday.

2. Rangers have good shot at cup and my role as sniper is not at risk.

3 NY might be fun to check out w/o for a year being locked in.

But no on 3 years... that could = another Redden

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
We already have that, we need someone who can add a different dynamic. This team is way to predictable on offense, and at this level of play, is very easy for a team to defend.

A player like Semin can help give us that dynamic, and have teams guessing a little more as to what we are going to do when we have the puck and are breaking in.

This whole he is not a "tort's type player" thing is getting way over blown. Yes Zherdev, did not work but Gaborik is not exactly a Tort's type player and he gets a lot of playing time and has put up a ton of points.
You can have someone who is dynamic, but he still has to buy into the team concept. If Semin can do that he could be a great acquisition.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:45 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

When he isn't scoring, he's useless.

But, if it's a 1 or 2 year deal or so, i'd do it, which he most likely won't take.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:51 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
When he isn't scoring, he's useless.

But, if it's a 1 or 2 year deal or so, i'd do it, which he most likely won't take.
So is Anisimov, and for the most part Stepan. Now if you tell me that they're good 2-way players, that's fine, but they play within a system, which is what Semin will do as well. As long as he isn't a liability, he should be able to do what we're bringing him in for.