HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

All Things Jordan Staal

Old
06-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
That's the real epitaph of the situation - which renders all of the debates, opinions, speculations, etc. about Staal as a Sabre moot. Just like the entire Brad Richards saga of last summer, the Staal quest can be remembered as an impossibility regardless of the Sabres' efforts.
i said from the beginning he was never coming here...

however, it doesn't make the predictions/positions people took on his ability moot.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:01 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i think he'll be the #1 center in Carolina, and Eric will move to wing.
I heard Mackenzie say that as well. That would certainly be interesting.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:01 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
i think he'll be the #1 center in Carolina, and Eric will move to wing.
If this is the case, then Carolina is dumb as hell. Every team in the league is looking for center depth and they're going to take one of the top 10 C in the league and move him to wing for the kitsch factor of having brothers play together? Not a move an organization who cares about winning would make.

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Pegula and Black are correct in that the Buffalo Sabres need to rebrand themselves as a destination players would love to come and play, a part of that is building a storied successful team, another part is contributing to the continued construction of downtown and still, another part is the organization itself and how the players are received and so on...........
I think, in large part, that's why so many fans and local media clamor for a Kane trade - because the presumption is that his birthplace will make the Sabres stand out as the prime destination that an NHL superstar would choose first to play for if given a choice. Reading quotes from elite players about how they always want to play for NY, LA, Toronto or Philly first is obviously frustrating for Sabres fans. It also adds to the inferiority complex of the small-town city Buffalonians have IMO.

The kind of rebranding that sees the organization spend and commit to winning, with the results to back it up, is ultimately the formula that comparable non-glamorous cities like Detroit and Pittsburgh used to elevate them up the totem pole of preferred destinations. I'm hopeful that it will happen under Pegula's regime as well.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
If this is the case, then Carolina is dumb as hell. Every team in the league is looking for center depth and they're going to take one of the top 10 C in the league and move him to wing for the kitsch factor of having brothers play together? Not a move an organization who cares about winning would make.
you think eric is a top 10 center in the league???

i mean, he's a very good player, and has the higher end offensive skill.... but honestly, Jordan is a better CENTER

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:05 AM
sba

Quote:
Right around there, top 15ish at worst coming off the awful year he had last year.

In no particular order:
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
H Sedin
Thornton
Toews
Backstrom
Kopitar
Datsyuk

All definitely better, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but I just woke up

Old
06-24-2012, 11:09 AM
joshjull

Quote:
i said from the beginning he was never coming here...

however, it doesn't make the predictions/positions people took on his ability moot.
Agreed

They're separate discussions.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:13 AM
sba

Quote:

i mean, he's a very good player, and has the higher end offensive skill.... but honestly, Jordan is a better CENTER
Jordan is better defensively. That's about it. They're almost even in faceoff percentage and Eric has much better vision and also uses his size more effectively to get into scoring positions.

I guess it matters what your definition of CENTER is, but that opens a whole other can of worms. Stamkos plays absolutely no defense at all, does that make him not as good of a CENTER than Ryan Kesler who definitely has prowess in both ends...etc