HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enshrine Shero already!

Old
06-24-2012, 08:58 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1040
Enshrine Shero already!

The exclusion of Shero in the Hall of Fame has surpassed absurd proportions. Larry Brooks make some strong points, those that have been raised an infinite amount of times by supporters of Shero's cause. Perhaps, Shero's time with the Rangers adds to Brooks' interest as he is generally supportive of anything-Flyers not dissimilar to a vegetarian looking at a porterhouse steak. Thankfully and to Brooks' credit, he mentions Bernie Parent's absence in the 1976 Finals, however, there is a need to include Rick MacLeish's injury -- undeniably the NHL's best offensive player in the 1974 and 1975 post-seasons. Give the Flyers a healthy Parent and MacLeish and eliminate Ken Dryden and a comparable player to MacLeish, and Montreal likely doesn't win that Finals and perhaps doesn't get there. To this day, Shero's support of the Soviet system is held against him and the grudge is being displayed. Time for the voters to right this wrong. Shero was a genius, a clouded and oftentimes distant man who also possessed a fantastic ability to interact with his players through unconventional measures.

Quote:
PITTSBURGH — When the Hall of Fame selection committee meets Tuesday in Toronto, it will be time — well past time, actually — for the 18-member board to select Fred Shero for induction.

If not, it will be time — well past time, actually — for one of these members to come forward, break the shackles of secrecy under which the committee operates, and explain the arguments to the rest of the hockey world that would have been used to deny entry to the Hall to one of the most successful and influential coaches in NHL history.

We have been through this before, and more than once, in this space — year after year in fact, while the fact is simply this:

The exclusion of Shero — who coached consecutive Stanley Cup winners in Philadelphia in 1974-75 in the franchise’s seventh and eighth seasons in the NHL; who was the first NHL coach to hire a full-time assistant; who was the first NHL coach to visit the Soviet Union and incorporate systems he learned watching the Red Army practice; who would scribble the types of inspirational sayings on the blackboard that are now inscribed on the walls of NHL teams’ locker rooms; whose Flyers beat the Red Army on Jan. 11, 1976, when victory seemed so important to the Western Hemisphere; and who finished his coaching career with a .612 winning percentage and four trips to the finals in nine full seasons behind the bench — is inexcusable.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...#ixzz1yiMMbvv8

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-24-2012 at 09:22 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The Hall of Fame voters are generally seen as a joke. Mike Emerick has done tireless work in the room to get Shero and Howe in, he finally got one, hopefully that means they're getting to Shero. I always tell the Pat Burns crowd, that he has to wait for Shero.

He makes one of the best points I've seen though, the HOF already put in Snider and Keith Allen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:59 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Great post MSE ! I think Shero was a tremendous coach and was always on the cutting edge of hockey training methods etc.I gotta believe that there are those who still think his "bullies" gave the NHL a black eye ? But they certainly liked the packed arena's where ever our beloved "bullies" played. I also agree about the Montreal series where they lost the chance to win 3 straight cups....Those injuries to Bernie and Rick were tough blows, and the Flyers got beat by only 1 goal i believe in 3 of those games.....Although i give Montreal credit, they deserved what they earned.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
54fightin

Why does it take a NY writer to champion Shero for the HOF? The Philly writers should be writing similar articles. His exclusion is a joke.

54fightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:53 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

does Lindros have a chance to get in?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:02 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fightin View Post
Why does it take a NY writer to champion Shero for the HOF? The Philly writers should be writing similar articles. His exclusion is a joke.
Philadelphia has no real sports writers, they have nothing more than a bunch of drama queens who try every way possible to turn half truths or gossip into a story..Very sad !

Old
06-24-2012, 07:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Great post MSE ! I think Shero was a tremendous coach and was always on the cutting edge of hockey training methods etc.I gotta believe that there are those who still think his "bullies" gave the NHL a black eye ? But they certainly liked the packed arena's where ever our beloved "bullies" played. I also agree about the Montreal series where they lost the chance to win 3 straight cups....Those injuries to Bernie and Rick were tough blows, and the Flyers got beat by only 1 goal i believe in 3 of those games.....Although i give Montreal credit, they deserved what they earned.
Thank you.

It has been an effort to have the Flyers' achievements marginalized and even ridiculed. It is why MacLeish's absence is rarely mentioned. Take a look at the last minute of Game 2 in 1974 and watch MacLeish's brilliance on the pass to Andre Dupont to send the game to OT which preceded Dave Schultz's terrific corner work that led to Bobby Clarke's OT goal. The Flyers beat the Bruins in 1974, an opponent not exactly without courage and spunk. Shero's coaching job there has been well-documented.

The following season, scribes and pundits actually called the 1975 Finals boring and languid and some were shocked and even dismayed that the Flyers won by playing a style not in concert with their reputation. And oh by the way, with the 1975 Series tied 2-2, it was Schultz who scored twice in a game that had about 14 PIMs total.

As Phil Esposito said, the Flyers still had to score and make saves and do everything else that are required for Cup winners.

And the astonishment continued on a recent ESPN list of top 25 all-time individual performances in the playoffs and guess what was omitted? Reggie Leach's 5-goal game. Yup, those happen all the time. Nothing to see here.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Thank you.

It has been an effort to have the Flyers' achievements marginalized and even ridiculed. It is why MacLeish's absence is rarely mentioned. Take a look at the last minute of Game 2 in 1974 and watch MacLeish's brilliance on the pass to Andre Dupont to send the game to OT which preceded Dave Schultz's terrific corner work that led to Bobby Clarke's OT goal. The Flyers beat the Bruins in 1974, an opponent not exactly without courage and spunk. Shero's coaching job there has been well-documented.

The following season, scribes and pundits actually called the 1975 Finals boring and languid and some were shocked and even dismayed that the Flyers won by playing a style not in concert with their reputation. And oh by the way, with the 1975 Series tied 2-2, it was Schultz who scored twice in a game that had about 14 PIMs total.

As Phil Esposito said, the Flyers still had to score and make saves and do everything else that are required for Cup winners.

And the astonishment continued on a recent ESPN list of top 25 all-time individual performances in the playoffs and guess what was omitted? Reggie Leach's 5-goal game. Yup, those happen all the time. Nothing to see here.
Great info here ! Reggie Leach is to this day one of the all time most under rated/appreciated players by the "media" to ever play the game..He was a certified sniper !

Old
06-25-2012, 02:06 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

At this rate, Ray Shero has a better chance than his dad... and that's pathetic.

06-26-2012, 03:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Not unexpected but the Secret Society of the Squalid and Squeamish has affirmed its exclusion of Shero in today's Hall vote..

Old
06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Terrible. I guess it's just the stigma tied to the BSB.

06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Not unexpected but the Secret Society of the Squalid and Squeamish has affirmed its exclusion of Shero in today's Hall vote..
Flyers Goal Scored By said it best:

"Win today and walk together forever." Does the NHL think that type of profound **** grows freely in the Canadian wilderness?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

too many old dudes still realllllly ******** about the bullies reign for him to be voted in...

4thline4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:30 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Bure getting in hopefully knocked the door down for Eric, too.

/thread derailment

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Next year will be the Year of the Flyer. I can feel it in my pelvis.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote