HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

National Post: Breaking down the Leafs' draft pick-by-pick

Old
06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
National Post: Breaking down the Leafs' draft pick-by-pick

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...-pick-by-pick/

Quote:
No. 5: Morgan Rielly

Defence | 6-feet, 200 pounds

Moose Jaw (WHL)

GP 18 G 3 A 15 P 18

Toronto desperately wanted a centre. But when Rielly was still available at No. 5, the Leafs had no choice but to add another defenceman to the growing pile. In Rielly, the Leafs are getting player that has been compared to Kris Letang and Erik Karlsson.

Morrison says: “He’s got speed to burn. I remember bumping into [the Warriors] GM and said ‘I really like your power play breakout.’ And he said, ‘what do you mean?’ And I said, ‘Just give it to Rielly and let him go.’ He’s very dynamic. I think he’s a player that can impact your team down the road.”
Quote:
No. 35: Matthew Finn

Defence | 6-feet, 199 pounds

Guelph (OHL)

GP 61 G 10 A 38 P 48

NHL Central Scouting had Finn ranked as the 16th-best North American skater. So when he went unpicked in the first round, the Leafs could not believe their luck. Described as a two-way defenceman who oozes character, he is also the second-cousin of former Leafs first-rounder Carlo Colaiacovo.

Morrison says: “We had him as a first-rounder and are pretty happy to get him at 35. I told him that. I think he’s comparable to a lot of defencemen who were picked quite a bit early.”
Quote:
No. 126: Dominic Toninato

Centre | 6-feet, 165 pounds

Duluth East (Minnesota High School)

GP 25 G 27 A 34 P 61

Do not expect to see Toninato in a Leafs uniform anytime soon. The high school forward is heading to the USHL next season and has already committed to the University of Minnesota Duluth, where he expects to spend another two or three years. That is fine with the Leafs, who consider the youngster a bit of a long-term project.

Morrison says: “He’s got a lot of developing to do. He’s a two-way kid. He’s got a high compete level and high hockey I.Q., so his offensive game, we hope it’s going to develop. He jumped off the page for me as someone with lots of upside.”
Quote:
No. 156: Connor Brown

Right wing | 5-foot-10, 160 pounds

Erie (OHL)

GP 68 G 25 A 28 P 53

The thing that immediately jumps out at you when looking at Brown’s stats is a minus-72 rating. “It’s not a misprint,” said Morrison. The Otters were the worst team in the OHL this season, so pretty much everyone’s stats took a beating. But with gifted prospect Connor McDavid heading to Erie, Brown should receive some help.

Morrison says: “I think that’s going to correct itself in the next year. He’s still very underdeveloped, so he’s got a lot of room to fill out and get stronger, but you can’t teach the skill that he has.”
Quote:
No. 157: Ryan Rupert

Centre | 5-foot-8, 186 pounds

London (OHL)

GP 63 G 17 A 31 P 48

GM Brian Burke called Rupert, who received a 20-game suspension this season for slashing a player in the stomach and then fighting him when he was down, a “junk yard.” The Leafs have also invited his twin brother Matt, who also played with London and lived at coach Dale Hunter’s house, to rookie camp. “They only have one attitude and it’s surly,” said Burke. “I like players like that.”

Morrison says: “I think the London guys like to call him a mini-Dale Hunter. We obviously like his brother too, but couldn’t get to him. But that one there, he just epitomizes the kind of player that likes to win and he’ll do whatever it takes to win a hockey game. We were thrilled. Even though he’s small, he’s built pretty well and he’ll go through a wall for you.”
Quote:
No. 209: Viktor Loov

Defence | 6-foot-1, 187 pounds

Sodertalje (Swe-2)

GP 50 G 3 A 3 P 6

A personal favourite of Swedish scout Thommie Bergman, Loov may have been overlooked because he was mistakenly listed as being 5-foot-6. He is described as a puck-moving defenceman with high offensive upside.

Morrison says: “I put him in a little bit of a Jesse Blacker mold. He’s a real good skater, speed, a lot of energy in his game, gets the puck up quick and a high compete level.”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Good intel on our prospect.

06-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Leafs03

Honestly, at first, i was so pissed that we didn't grab a forward with our first but looking at it now. It will awesome seeing our dcore be one of the best and youngest in the league. Rielly,Gardiner,Finn,Blacker,Percy,Holzer,Schenn.. This is a group that can be one of the best in the league! now all we need is patients!!!

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Remember when the shortest guy was 6' even?

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:11 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Honestly, at first, i was so pissed that we didn't grab a forward with our first but looking at it now. It will awesome seeing our dcore be one of the best and youngest in the league. Rielly,Gardiner,Finn,Blacker,Percy,Holzer,Schenn.. This is a group that can be one of the best in the league! now all we need is patients!!!
And Medical Degrees.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Remember when the shortest guy was 6' even?
The amount of stock put into height on this board is ridiculous. The following NHL defensemen (current and retired) are 6'0 or shorter:

-Drew Doughty
-Erik Karlsson
-PK Subban
-Kris Letang
-Dan Boyle
-Michael Del Zotto
-Brian Campbell

-Paul Coffey
-Bobby Orr
-Brian Leetch
-Phil Housely
-Ray Bourque
-Chris Chelios

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:33 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
The amount of stock put into height on this board is ridiculous. The following NHL defensemen (current and retired) are 6'0 or shorter:

-Drew Doughty
-Erik Karlsson
-PK Subban
-Kris Letang
-Dan Boyle
-Michael Del Zotto
-Brian Campbell

-Paul Coffey
-Bobby Orr
-Brian Leetch
-Phil Housely
-Ray Bourque
-Chris Chelios
take it for what its worth but i was told by people affiliated with the windsor spitfires ,that reilly really couldve been the no 1 pick overall ...hes that dynamic a player,personally i really like finn ....when watching guelph in windsor this past year ,he looked like a veteran dman ....poised and he jumped out at u right from the opening face off .....i like the picks
correct me if im wrong .....is justin shultz free after midnite tonite or next sunday?this is one draft i can say we have potential to hit a home run ....i lke both these guys .......and the last kid from sweden .....

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:43 AM
eyeball11

Hadn't heard this:

"The Leafs have also invited his twin brother Matt, who also played with London and lived at coach Dale Hunterís house, to rookie camp."

We may kind of have gotten an extra pick (in that should he prove himself he may be more inclined to stay with us due to his brother).

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Interactif

Touched on this yesterday, if we couldn't get Gemel Smith, I am very happy we got Ryan Rupert. Think this guy is going to be a Leafs fav, he's just one of those guys you love to watch play and his desire is infectious.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Hmm.... 4 Canadians in this years drat. Burkie must be listening.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Thanks for posting. Interesting to hear about the guys picked in the late rounds.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:49 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Hmm.... 4 Canadians in this years drat. Burkie must be listening.
.....or doing the same as he's done every year.

Reilly BC
Finn ONT
Brown ONT
Rupert ONT

Percy ONT
Leivo ONT
Broll ONT
Robertson BC

Ross ALTA
McKegg ONT
Carrick ONT
Nicholls BC

Kadri ONT
Blacker ONT
Devane ONT

54% of his picks have been Canadian.

39% of his picks have been from Ontario.

73% of his Canadian picks have been from Ontario.

Cherry should have done some more research.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:05 AM
KesselPhaneufTML

I like this group of guys we drafted. I think we came out of it with two 1st round calibre players and I think it really opens us up to being able to move some defensemen in the offseason.

KesselPhaneufTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
And Medical Degrees.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote