HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Detroit Red Wing Draft Class of 2012

Old
06-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
From what I've read about Bodin, I am really excited about that prospect. He was
6-6 and 200+ pounds as a 17 year old. From what I've read he is mobile and actually has a very good shot.

It sounds like he was just an average sized player finishing out his junior career in Sweden and then he all of a sudden shot up like 6 inches in a year. He couldn't play in juniors anymore because all his hits were headshots.

If he ends up something like 6-7, 230 pounds and stays mobile he'll be a 10 goal NHL forward just on his physical skills.

IMO if he had gone undrafted this year he likely would've been picked in the first three or four rounds next year. I think he's going to end up at least as a fringe NHL player, which is very good for a 200th pick. I will temper my expectations because he could turn out to be Jesper Samuelsson, but a 6-6 guy who can skate and shoot is very intriguing.
I agree that it was good to read that Andersson said he can skate. That's your biggest concern with a guy that size. I wouldn't compare him to Jesper Samuelsson, I actually think Marc Louis-Aubry would be a good comparison as he also went through a big growth spurt and it took him a little time to grow into his body. They are both good skaters and it sounds like they play a similar game given Bodin is being compared to Abdelkader.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:34 AM
sarcastro

From the size of this guy, I doubt he's got a gluten intolerance that will stunt his development like Jesper.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
I liked the second, fourth, sixth and last pick of the draft. The goalie pick was meh, and I doubt our 5th rounder will ever makemitmpast ECHL if he gets that far. I'm just glad we got another A2. Maybe 2A2?
The guy in the 5th round fights, so you doubt he'll never make it past the ECHL?

Skates fast and is a physical beast, while only switching to D a year or 2 ago and still gets drafted. But you saw his PIM line so you assume this... something is wrong with wings fans these days

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Gustav Nyquist
Failure by design

Another reason for you guys to not like the goalie: He sent out a tweet including "#YOLO" a few hours ago.

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:47 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnkrok View Post
Another reason for you guys to not like the goalie: He sent out a tweet including "#YOLO" a few hours ago.
These are 18 year old kids, I'll be worried when they do this in their late twenties and thirties.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:31 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
You forgot the .

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:34 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
http://op.se/sport/1.4837092-rasmus-...drom-blir-sann

Google translate, beware I took the worst stuff out though:

Quote:
Rasmus hockey dream comes true

- What can one say? This was really a huge surprise, laughs 18-year-old forward Rasmus Bodin, Östersund hockey, who was drafted to the Detroit Red Wings in the seventh and final round

Interest in the Brunflo Hockey org. schooled Rasmus has been around for awhile.

- It was a scout and looked at me early in the season, but then I have not heard anything from him. Then suddenly it happens here and it was really unexpected, and it is scarcely believe it to be true, cheers Rasmus who has his hockey life so far most experience some ten days before him.

Between July 4 to 14 Rasmus will be on camp in Detroit.

- It is really great because it's something you've dreamed about since I started playing hockey. I hope that my parents and my brother can come along too, continues Rasmussen who do not exactly have an eye on what's going to happen.

- But all drafted players for the Red Wings and a number of other guests will be there, making it both extremely exciting and a great challenge.

Before the draft became clear it was thought that Rasmussen would move to Jönköping and start training with the HV71's U20 team on July 19.

- By the time the program looks like it might be a bit tight to keep up with it, so I still have to shoot on the move a few days, continued Rasmus, who describes himself as a big, strong player who works hard and fast on skates.

Kjell-Åke Andersson in Östersund Hockey welcomes the transatlantic attention around Rasmus.

- Is not it a little surprising, although we are well aware of his skills and talent. But it's not so darn easy to get drafted says "Kjella" who do not know exactly what impact it has to be number ten or 200.

- Just to be drafted means that you're a really good hockey players and the talent scouts from the NHL will continue to keep an eye on you.

- We're not exactly spoiled with drafted hockey talent from our county, but every time it happens it is extremely funny. The interest around Rasmus gives a ripple effect and we continue to develop young talent in the county, we will be of interest to the Scouts, even in the future.

LiveeviL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Cool, thanks for posting this article! I look forward to hearing how he does at the prospect camp.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:48 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

Quote:
The yolo was to James de Haas. James de Haas just #YOLO'd back at him.

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Gustav Nyquist
Failure by design

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
The yolo was to James de Haas. James de Haas just #YOLO'd back at him.
Great, we drafted a bunch of morons. fml

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
The guy in the 5th round fights, so you doubt he'll never make it past the ECHL?

Skates fast and is a physical beast, while only switching to D a year or 2 ago and still gets drafted. But you saw his PIM line so you assume this... something is wrong with wings fans these days
Skates well for his size =\= skates fast. Scouting reports have him as lacking serious hockey IQ and has trouble passing the puck. Couple that with him going to a league that frowns on fighting and his less than impressive offensive skillset, I'm sorry I don't have the highest hopes for him.

His PIMs and the fact he fights has no baring on my feelings for him. I love Callahan and Aubry and Sproul and XO. But they can play. Stop getting your knickers in a bunch.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:01 PM
WesNichols14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
McKee heading to Western could maybe help grease the skids with Dekeyser.
almost my 1st thought when i saw where he was going. I was like ahh, so that was an attempt to get closer to Danny DeKeyser, maybe he is told to become best friends with him and mention how cool it would be to be in Detroit together. I mean Dekeyser is already a huge Detroit fan, and grew up in the area, so anything extra can only help right

WesNichols14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:10 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
almost my 1st thought when i saw where he was going. I was like ahh, so that was an attempt to get closer to Danny DeKeyser, maybe he is told to become best friends with him and mention how cool it would be to be in Detroit together. I mean Dekeyser is already a huge Detroit fan, and grew up in the area, so anything extra can only help right
Either that or a known enforcer throws down with him at some point in practice.

We cannot always assume all of these guys get along. DeKeyser is already considered by some a Detroit lean, I don't know that we need to stack the deck so much as clear a roster spot for him, that would be our biggest struggle, Jim Nill is already a family friend.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:14 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
Skates well for his size =\= skates fast. Scouting reports have him as lacking serious hockey IQ and has trouble passing the puck. Couple that with him going to a league that frowns on fighting and his less than impressive offensive skillset, I'm sorry I don't have the highest hopes for him.

His PIMs and the fact he fights has no baring on my feelings for him. I love Callahan and Aubry and Sproul and XO. But they can play. Stop getting your knickers in a bunch.
A guy whose played defense for a season or 2 has some issues with decision making is pretty normal, and hes described as having really good straight ahead speed, not just skating well for his size.

Even if he was just a really good skater for his size, do you realize that he's probably going to end up playing in the 6'5, 245lb range when he gets older? You get a guy that size, with a mean streak that can actually skate and you have a pretty valuable commodity. Hes got a mean streak and might be the toughest in the draft, would probably be a top NHL fighter if he makes it and he can actually skate. This is a league that has guys like Colton Orr making a million dollars, and other guys out there who cant skate and only fight.

And the NCAA will be better since he cant fight, he'll develop his skillset more instead of just being a goon. Not to mention you said you like the 6th round pick, the wings brass obviously think this guy has more potential and is more valuable since they picked him earlier.

But for some reason, you see him as being lucky to make the ECHL, theres a difference between not having your hopes up and making it seem like you just dislike tough players

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
A guy whose played defense for a season or 2 has some issues with decision making is pretty normal, and hes described as having really good straight ahead speed, not just skating well for his size.

Even if he was just a really good skater for his size, do you realize that he's probably going to end up playing in the 6'5, 245lb range when he gets older? You get a guy that size, with a mean streak that can actually skate and you have a pretty valuable commodity. Hes got a mean streak and might be the toughest in the draft, would probably be a top NHL fighter if he makes it and he can actually skate. This is a league that has guys like Colton Orr making a million dollars, and other guys out there who cant skate and only fight.

And the NCAA will be better since he cant fight, he'll develop his skillset more instead of just being a goon. Not to mention you said you like the 6th round pick, the wings brass obviously think this guy has more potential and is more valuable since they picked him earlier.

But for some reason, you see him as being lucky to make the ECHL, theres a difference between not having your hopes up and making it seem like you just dislike tough players
There's nothing wrong with being tough. There are things wrong if you're only tough, only a good shooter, only fast, only a good passer.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:

Yeah, the thing I like best is he's going to WMU to play for Andy Murray. If he can become a better defender then that makes him a legit prospect.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar View Post
Martin Frk: 7C

Jake Paterson: 6.5C

Andreas Anthanasiou: 6.5D

Mike McKee: 6.5C

James De Haas: 6C

Rasmus Bodin: 6D
Obviously this I am going off what I have read in this thread, but I think that your grades are a bit low. AA will probably start with something like 7.5D or 7D. Everybody realizes his potential but people were worried that he can't reach it. Also if Bodin is rated at 6 then his chances of reaching that are more like a B if you ask me. He has size, can skate and has a great work ethic. Those guys make the bottom six.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Seems like a real hit or miss draft. If it hits, guys like Frk and AA could be top6 guys or the big swede could develop into what we hoped Ryno or Lofberg were going to be. If it misses, the whole group could crap out.

About the big swede, what I liked most from Hakan's quotes was that the kid "works, works, works." After the guys with questionable attitudes, this will hopefully not be this kid's shortcoming.

06-24-2012, 11:52 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Team-by-team grades for 2012 NHL Draft

Detroit Red Wings—B-plus

It’s hard to say if Kyle Quincey was worth giving up a first-round pick that turned out to be No. 19 overall, but Detroit still managed to get first-round talent at No. 49 with Czech right wing Martin Frk.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...#ixzz1ym20X5wd
Agree? Disagree?

Although according to their scale pretty much everybody did well.

Kevin Allen isn't as favorable with his lack of a mention of Detroit's picks.

Quote:
1. Carolina
2. Pittsburgh
3. Philadelphia

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ers/55793566/1

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Agree? Disagree?

Although according to their scale pretty much everybody did well.

Kevin Allen isn't as favorable with his lack of a mention of Detroit's picks.
Kevin Allen wasn't really rating the draft picks themselves. He's mostly drooling over the draft day trades, so not really a draft results ratings.

It's tough to overlook Montreal's draft: Galchenyuk, Collberg, Thrower, Bozon and Vail.

I love what Washington did with their 2 first round picks, Forsberg and Wilson!!

Of course Detroit wasn't in nearly as good of a position as those two teams! I can't wait to see more of Frk, hopefully he isn't anything like Jurco.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:59 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I really like our draft class. I don't mind the goalie pick, Ozzie is still learning and who knows, maybe he has an eye for goaltending talent. I also love all the big/physical players.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Tatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Obviously this I am going off what I have read in this thread, but I think that your grades are a bit low. AA will probably start with something like 7.5D or 7D. Everybody realizes his potential but people were worried that he can't reach it. Also if Bodin is rated at 6 then his chances of reaching that are more like a B if you ask me. He has size, can skate and has a great work ethic. Those guys make the bottom six.
Perhaps with his speed I can see AA being a consistent second liner, but I thing he'll float around the second or third line.

Brodin is a raw prospect that will take a lot of time to develop. I've heard him compared to a 6'6 Abdelkader. But like Marchenko, being a 7th round pick, and being a "stretch" prospect I thought a D was appropriate

Tatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar View Post
Perhaps with his speed I can see AA being a consistent second liner, but I thing he'll float around the second or third line.

Brodin is a raw prospect that will take a lot of time to develop. I've heard him compared to a 6'6 Abdelkader. But like Marchenko, being a 7th round pick, and being a "stretch" prospect I thought a D was appropriate
My impression of Marchenko is that he's been considered a stretch largely because he's Russian and people fear the KHL. I don't get the impression there are nearly as many questions about his physical ability as there with Brodin.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
My impression of Marchenko is that he's been considered a stretch largely because he's Russian and people fear the KHL. I don't get the impression there are nearly as many questions about his physical ability as there with Brodin.
i think it's more about injuries for marchenko. unlike many other, i don't consider the KHL or being russian a problem.
good players still get want to play in the NHL due to money and credibility.

if marchenko can stay healthy and he's as talented as some scouts said a while back, then he's an exciting prospect.

bodin (without r) is a project, because he never played against the best in his age group. he's coming out of nowhere. the best part of it is that hakan helped him to get a try-out with a better program.
that reminds me of datsyuk back then who was asked by hakan if he needs something and he asked for some new skates.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i think it's more about injuries for marchenko. unlike many other, i don't consider the KHL or being russian a problem.
good players still get want to play in the NHL due to money and credibility.

if marchenko can stay healthy and he's as talented as some scouts said a while back, then he's an exciting prospect.

bodin (without r) is a project, because he never played against the best in his age group. he's coming out of nowhere. the best part of it is that hakan helped him to get a try-out with a better program.
that reminds me of datsyuk back then who was asked by hakan if he needs something and he asked for some new skates.
I thought the only serious injury came after he was drafted, though? I noticed that the comments about Marchenko have been toned down a bit on RWC, they now portray him almost as a Bykov Deluxe, though I'm not sure why they've toned it down. Yeah, he was injured, but the tools are still there.

And Bodin not only got the try out, but he did something with it. Somewhere HTD should be taking notes...

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote